Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

There's a difference between "similar" (as in, both can be described as "cartoony," absolutely) and "let's copy WoW." In motion, though, recent WoW animation seems more similar to how Pixar/Dreamworks do things (see: pandaren), while WildStar reminds me more of a Saturday morning cartoon vibe, or Ratchet and Clank, that kind of thing.

I don't watch cartoons to have a good comparison, but it seems like they've been able to make a wide range of environments fit well within their art style. There are rigid robots, fine details on structures and vehicles, blob things that expand and change shape, and decent particle effects. I suppose having somewhat modest graphics also makes it attractive for playing on a wide range of platforms and broadens who can do stuff like stream/record. It's really not bad looking at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

ItBurns posted:

I don't watch cartoons to have a good comparison, but it seems like they've been able to make a wide range of environments fit well within their art style. There are rigid robots, fine details on structures and vehicles, blob things that expand and change shape, and decent particle effects. I suppose having somewhat modest graphics also makes it attractive for playing on a wide range of platforms and broadens who can do stuff like stream/record. It's really not bad looking at any rate.

With the added benefit of aging well. To me, Carbine's chosen art style indicates that they plan to support Wildstar for years.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ItBurns posted:

Yeah, even WoW does this well, despite the cartoony art style there are some really good environments and even sharp textures and whatnot. Cartoony doesn't necessarily mean lovely at all.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, even WoW does this well, despite the cartoony art style there are some really good environments and even sharp textures and whatnot. Cartoony doesn't necessarily mean lovely at all.

I am going to start a stupid nerd fight right now and say that the Shrine of the 2 moons and Ulduar in WoW are the 2 coolest places I have ever been, aesthetically, in any mmo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

I am going to start a stupid nerd fight right now and say that the Shrine of the 2 moons and Ulduar in WoW are the 2 coolest places I have ever been, aesthetically, in any mmo.

I don't know what that first one is (didn't play Pandaland), but Ulduar is incredible looking I agree. The atmosphere is so well done.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why do you make an exception for WoW for this cartoony graphical style but not this game?

Because Arus, I was hopelessly addicted to WoW as one of the first generic fantasy mmo's I played. Now that I am older and (relatively) smarter, I don't really jump down the throat of WoW clone games.

But still, no need for me to judge too early, I'll play a bit of the open beta if there is one before giving a solid opinion on the game. To write it off because I don't like the graphics style exclusively is a bit silly.

P.S. Ulduar was awesome and with Karazhan, two of the pinnacles of WoW.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Because Arus, I was hopelessly addicted to WoW as one of the first generic fantasy mmo's I played. Now that I am older and (relatively) smarter, I don't really jump down the throat of WoW clone games.

But still, no need for me to judge too early, I'll play a bit of the open beta if there is one before giving a solid opinion on the game. To write it off because I don't like the graphics style exclusively is a bit silly.

P.S. Ulduar was awesome and with Karazhan, two of the pinnacles of WoW.

Give me all your money in GW2, I'm going for a legendary, thanks.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

WoW peaked with the train to Mimiron and the Spark of Imagination area. If Wildstar has anything as cool as that, I'll be officially on-board.

edit: Pun not really intended but coincidental.

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012
If they promise us a fight like M'uru (prenerf ofcourse) and deliver, I'll even buy a copy for my friends who didn't get to bask in the awesomeness of Sunwell!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Carbon Deity posted:

Not a lot of stuff we didn't already know.

http://youtu.be/eWTEDbKtLHE

Stop linking videos of some awful nerd who isn't related to the game in any way talking about video games into a camera, no one ever wants to watch poo poo like this.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Stop linking videos of some awful nerd who isn't related to the game in any way talking about video games into a camera, no one ever wants to watch poo poo like this.

Fair enough. I personally couldn't make it through more than a few seconds of that video.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

Ulduar is the best raid zone ever done in WoW.

Svladcjelli
Apr 3, 2007

There's nothing that you offer but a dream of last years hero
Fun Shoe

Carbon Deity posted:

With the added benefit of aging well. To me, Carbine's chosen art style indicates that they plan to support Wildstar for years.

That's what is great about WoW's art style. Love it or hate it, their art direction allows them to have a completely uniform style throughout the game that at the very least looks decent and also allows their game to run on your grandmother's netbook. Having little variation between character armor models within classes allows the game to run well, and also let's players identify player classes at a glance just by looking at the silhouette of the model.

Having played a dozen other sweatshop-developed MMOs that lack any kind of cohesion in their art style really makes me appreciate how much Blizzard has done with so little, even after I've long grown tired of WoW's gameplay.

Karazhan will always be my favorite WoW raid zone, and Shadowfang Keep was another instance that I always enjoyed going back to. I think I just like castles that were designed by drunken madmen.

Bullroarer
Mar 1, 2013

Carbon Deity posted:

This makes sense. SWTOR came out and confessed this early on, pretty much saying that any realistic art style would date quicker than their planned predictions for the life of the game.

I quite like the art style being presented for Wildstar. It's "cartoony" enough to support the humor they want, plus it has some anime looks that will keep the furry crowd appeased.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Yeah the art style grabbed me quickly, it's bright, vibrant, easy to read and pretty diverse. They also have some of the best looking animations in any MMO.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any goon-routes to getting a beta key for this? I've signed up for it, but I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts.

Edit: Also, any goon-groups?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 29, 2013

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

w00tmonger posted:

Any goon-routes to getting a beta key for this? I've signed up for it, but I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts.

There are some goons in beta, but no, there are no Wildstar devs that I know of that post here. I know Starfleet Dental (check PGS for their thread) is going to play, but I don't think there is like a 'Goon Squad' thing being organized yet.

VVVV Oh, my mistake. No quick way into beta at least though.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 29, 2013

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Eonwe posted:

There are some goons in beta, but no, there are no Wildstar devs that I know of that post here. I know Starfleet Dental (check PGS for their thread) is going to play, but I don't think there is like a 'Goon Squad' thing being organized yet.

I'm pretty sure we've had at least 2 Carbine employees posting in this thread (at least that have said they are) - only one has said she's a dev though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

I'm considering organizing a guild on Exile side, PvP server, but I'm not at all qualified to organize an official <Goon Squad> sort of situation so I'm not even trying. I just want to get some people together who will play like adults with actual lives but are also laid back enough to joke about stupid internet poo poo like any upstanding individual should.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 29, 2013

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Character creation background (click for big):

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Are there male and female versions of each race? Because man would I love yo be a fembot.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Some datamined info on the Spellslinger, since literally all of you are making one:

quote:

"Blending quick hands and strange magic, the Spellslinger fuses two complex disciplines to create a fighting style that is unlike anything else in the galaxy."

The Basics:

-Ranged
-Role: Healer/DPS
-Weapons: Dual Pistols
-Resources: Mana and "Seals" that appear to be refilling charges that are consumed by different abilities. (Going to do more digging on these.)

Available Races (confirmed):
-Aurin
-Draken
-Human (Exile)
-Cassian

Abilities (datamined) These are subject to change, have generic (testing) names, and may be out of date
-Alternate Firing Mode - Enables Alternate Firing Mode on the Spellslinger's pistol abilities. (Many abilities are versatile, changing their effects depending on which mode is active)
-Plasma Shot - Primary Fire: Fire both of your pistols at your target. Alt Fire: Deals damage to your target and up to 4 nearby enemies. (I take this to be your main/"auto" attack)
-Head Shot - Primary Fire: Interrupts any spell your target is casting, and prevents them from casting spells for 2s. Alt Fire: Interrupts the casting of your target and up to 4 nearby enemies.
-Fast Forward - [NYI](?) Instantly recharges your Seal resources.
-Focus Shot: Kill - Deals damage to your target, and additional damage if they have 35% or less health. (So basically Shadow Word: Death for all you Spriests out there)
-Plasma Blast - A short-ranged attack that deals damage to your front and sides. Affects up to 5 targets.
-Searing Blast - *No description&
-Slowing Blast - A short-ranged cone blast that deals damage and snares opponents who have been struck by Plasma Blast, slowing their movement speed. Affects up to 5 targets.
-Crippling Blast - A short-ranged cone blast that deals damage and cripples opponents who have been struck by Plasma Blast, lowering their attack power. Affects up to 5 targets.
-Rewind - Deals damage to nearby enemies and pulls you backwards. Causes the next attack made against you to automatically miss.
-Offbalancing Blast - No description
-Focus Shot: Irradiate - No description
-Recharge Shot - Primary Fire: Deals damage to your target and replenishes your energy. Alt Fire: Damage up to 4 enemies near your target and replenishes your energy.
-Focus Shot: Disarm - No description
-Forceful Blast - No description
-Ripple Trap - Instantly causes damage to enemies in your hostile Sigils.
-Crippling Trap - Instantly reduces the movement speed of all enemies in your hostile Sigils.
-Whirlpool Trap - No description
-Time Trap - Stuns enemies in your hostile Sigils.
-Sigil of Pain - Daze - Reduced Movement Speed. (There were also "Stop" and "Protection" sigils with no description)
-Plasma Barrage - Primary Fire: You fire multiple times in rapid succession dealing increased damage to your target each pulse. Alt Fire: You fire multiple times in rapid succession with ricocheting shots that damage random nearby enemies.
-Cripple - Roots your target.
-Displacement Shot - Blinks your target 10-15 meters backwards from you and reduces your threat to them.
-Unraveling Shot - Primary Fire: Shocks your target dealing damage over time. Alt Fire: Shocks your target and up to 4 nearby enemies dealing damage over time.
-Steady Arms - Your Plasma Shot sometimes causes the target to take increased damage.
-Wild Arms - Your Plasma Shot sometimes deals damage to additional targets.
-Sure Shots - Whenever you damage a target, there is a chance you will increase your energy regeneration and the energy regeneration of nearby allies.

"Item" Talents (datamined)
-These are subject to change and may be out of date (These are listed as "Item" talents so they may be bonuses on gear instead of talent tree-esque enhancements.)
-Your auto-attack fierce attacks give you X energy. - (I think by auto-attack they mean basic attack, as I believe they stated there were no auto-attacks in the game. So basically, SSs will have a relatively basic attack that will build up their resource.)
-Your pistol shots have a chance to cause the target to burn, dealing damage over time. -
-Whenever you successfully block an attack, you have a chance to regenerate a Seal.
-Whenever you kill an enemy, you gain auto-attack speed for 30s. This effect stacks up to 20 times.
-Decreases the cast time of your Sigil spells by Xs.
-Your Slow Motion Sigil now also increases your movement speed by X% for the duration.
-Your Recharge Shot now also gives Replenishment when you use it with less than 50% energy, generating an additional X energy over 15s.
-Your Ripple Trap reduces the cooldown of your other abilities by 1s whenever it kills an enemy.
-Increases the damage of the Alt-Fire Plasma Shot by X.
-Increases the number of pulses of Plasma Barrage by X.
-Increases the duration of Sigil of Pain by Xs.
-Reduces the cooldown of your Time Trap by Xs.
-Increases the duration of Unravelling Shot by X%.
-Your Crippling Trap also deals X damage to affected targets over the duration.
-Fast Forward now also increases your movement speed by X% for 15s.
-Your Displacement Shot also stuns targets for Xs.

That's all I've managed to pull out for now. It's entirely possible that I missed some abilities here and there, but this should be very similar to what would be seen in a beta client. Discuss away!
Also, if this post is well received I'll try and do another very very soon!

Edit: It should also be noted that the leaked M30 patch notes that Carbine themselves released delineate some of the more heal-focused Spellslinger abilities. Those notes also appear to be more up to date than this info is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In regards to those "item talents," I think they're called Milestones, and they're WildStar's version of a "talent tree." One beta tester I talked to compared the character building to Guild Wars 1 in a way, where your build is composed of your stats (class-specific skills in GW1, six primary attributes in WildStar) and a limited skill bar that makes you decide which skills to bring with you at any given time. Increasing the six main stats (Brutality, Finesse, Moxie, Tech, Insight, Grit), both by leveling up and by equipping gear, unlocks Milestones.

Long story short, it's a way to make it so that every stat is useful for every class, while simultaneously making it more interesting than stats simply increasing your raw power.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Carbon Deity posted:

Character creation background (click for big):

That picture is interesting because it gives us a hint at the fourth race they have planned for the Dominion (apparently like an evil short bunny thing).

We still have 2 races and 2 classes that need development. I wonder if they'll get those done in time for release.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Korlac posted:

That picture is interesting because it gives us a hint at the fourth race they have planned for the Dominion (apparently like an evil short bunny thing).

We still have 2 races and 2 classes that need development. I wonder if they'll get those done in time for release.

Chua and Mordresh are already in the game but it looks like they need to tighten up the graphics. We've also seen some brief clips of the unrevealed classes in the devspeak videos, so I would expect them to be included at launch.

We'll probably know a lot more after E3.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Hugo from Lost interviews Stephen Frost:

http://youtu.be/nvy36f0mTNk

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Carbon Deity posted:

I have no idea why I actually thought this video would involve Jorge Garcia or why I was so disappointed when it didn't.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

jerichojx posted:

Are there male and female versions of each race? Because man would I love yo be a fembot.

Yes, you can be a fembot with metallic boobies.

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Yes, you can be a fembot with metallic boobies.

Now there's a wave of MMO grinding that's easy on the eyes.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Give me all your money in GW2, I'm going for a legendary, thanks.

Sorry Arus, I gave away like 3k gold the day I left to SFD players, or I would totally dump my gold down your throat. :smith:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Invite everyone who signed up for beta in 2011 :smith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Sorry Arus, I gave away like 3k gold the day I left to SFD players, or I would totally dump my gold down your throat. :smith:

drat, got any ectos or T6 mats? ;)

Carbon Deity posted:

I actually was incredibly disappointed when this wasn't Hurley :(

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat, got any ectos or T6 mats? ;)

I probably have some t6 mats left, let me download the client on this comp and have a look.

P.S. To make this relevant to the thread, the exiles are probably getting space zombies and the Dominion creepy furry gremlin things.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Dominion creepy furry gremlin things.

I guess SFD will have to enforce our anti-asura style racial purity standards like GW2, at least it's not anime bunnies.

(thanks buddy, I'm Arus.1482 if you forgot!)

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Arus why do you hate the 1984 classic Gremlins? Because that's what you're telling us right now.

That you hate Gremlins :colbert:

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

A Tartan Tory posted:

P.S. To make this relevant to the thread, the exiles are probably getting space zombies and the Dominion creepy furry gremlin things.

Yeah, I vaguely remember from the Exiles video one of the fists raised had a zombie like appearance (or tattoo) and then they had some kind of Crypt thing that the chick said they don't talk about.

Sounds like it could be interesting though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i am tim! posted:

Arus why do you hate the 1984 classic Gremlins? Because that's what you're telling us right now.

That you hate Gremlins :colbert:

Ugh they look like furbys.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I guess SFD will have to enforce our anti-asura style racial purity standards like GW2, at least it's not anime bunnies.

Hey now, Aurins can get all kinds of animal ears, even bat wings as ears. Also, ridiculously long fluffy tails are perfect emergency pillows. :colbert:

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

New update posted. lore welcome. http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_the_luminai.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

(thanks buddy, I'm Arus.1482 if you forgot!)

Well, as long as you don't discriminate against robot ladies we will get on fine in this one Arus. :colbert:

Knowing SFD, I guess we are going Dominion?

• Locked thread