Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

I stopped into Local Option for a few minutes yesterday and managed to try Cantillion and BCBS Cherry Rye for the first time. Awesome stuff. And they had the slayer cranked up extra high which was also awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

What It Dooski posted:

Cantillion and slayer cranked up extra high.

that's beautiful.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wattershed posted:

Next up, someone make a thai iced tea milk stout.

This would either own gloriously, or give you diabetes even faster than Southern Tier Creme Brulee. Can't decide.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Weihenstephan Heferweizen on tap for $3 in the .5l glasses they include in the gift packs? Yeah, give me 3!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Shortbus posted:

Another California beer question anything good at Solvang? Odin's stout sounds safe....

Figueroa mountain brewing hoppy poppy was good, but they're In buelton (not far from Solvang... Also go to Anderson's because I never had their split pea soup when I lived in arroyo grande and I regret it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

new worst logo ever? surprised there isn't a beer called Hatchetman or Dark Carnival or some poo poo.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

new worst logo ever? surprised there isn't a beer called Hatchetman or Dark Carnival or some poo poo.

God, and that bio is just as awful. "Don't bother looking our way if you like other beer."

The only thing worse would be if they ended it with "WOOP WOOP, NINJAS!"

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ugh, that made me want to slap someone. Here's hoping for a Faygo IIIPA at some point.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

"Extreme Imperial Porter."

Yup.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Slimy Hog posted:

Figueroa mountain brewing hoppy poppy was good, but they're In buelton (not far from Solvang... Also go to Anderson's because I never had their split pea soup when I lived in arroyo grande and I regret it.

Seconding the split pea soup. It's a local treasure.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

funkybottoms posted:

Their logo and attitude (which is actually starting to become rather common with 'elitist' craft brewers) is horrendous, but some of the descriptions look pretty good.

Landslide and Tribal Rite sound particularly good to me.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

BriceFxP posted:

Their logo and attitude (which is actually starting to become rather common with 'elitist' craft brewers) is horrendous, but some of the descriptions look pretty good.

You saw that they used "hop head" in a non-ironic way when describing Landslide, right? I mean, it's right there in quotes. Yet even after reading that, I persevered on... but stopped when they described its "complex" aroma as "citrus, flower, and pine." Flower, eh? That helps.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

danbanana posted:

You saw that they used "hop head" in a non-ironic way when describing Landslide, right? I mean, it's right there in quotes. Yet even after reading that, I persevered on... but stopped when they described its "complex" aroma as "citrus, flower, and pine." Flower, eh? That helps.

Yea I saw that, and yet I'm still intrigued. Sometimes even some of the weirdest descriptions yield something fun.

I'm always willing to give every brew a small test. It is only money :)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

U.S. Barryl posted:

God, and that bio is just as awful. "Don't bother looking our way if you like other beer."

hahaha- "ninja on over and take a wig-splitter to your nugbone! made with MMCL, homie!"

BriceFxP posted:

I'm always willing to give every brew a small test. It is only money :)

no, it is also principle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

U.S. Barryl posted:

Stone has been using that type of marketing for years. Granted, they don't have a ridiculous clown as their logo.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I give Stone a pass for being the first to do it and also since it fits in with their "arrogance." It's just Stone's thing, and also, they don't have a ridiculous clown logo.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

And Stone also has proven that they can make good beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Stone has been using that type of marketing for years. Granted, they don't have a ridiculous clown as their logo.

So has Three Floyds ("It's Not Normal"). I'll give breweries that were doing something other than American lagers fifteen to twenty years ago the benefit of the doubt since their brews were actually something different at the time. For a newer brewery to advertise as being "different" while brewing some of the most common styles in the U.S. today is either delusional, unaware of their market, or just stupid.

I'm betting on all three with these guys.

BriceFxP posted:

Yea I saw that, and yet I'm still intrigued. Sometimes even some of the weirdest descriptions yield something fun.

That's not a weird description; It's one that makes no sense. What the gently caress is "flower" supposed to mean? Are they talking hibiscus? Dandelion? This thing? And beyond that bizarre descriptor, "citrus" and "pine" are about as generic for an IPA as you can use.

I really don't mean to harp on it, but if you're going to describe a beer that you want me to buy, you should have some sense the actual flavors and nose it puts off. This reads like Baby's First Beer Advocate Review.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
One of my pals in the LA area is looking for a retailer that sells Blind Pig or Pliny. I don't know SoCal for squat - anyone have any recommendations for bottle shops in the LA area?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

danbanana posted:

So has Three Floyds ("It's Not Normal"). I'll give breweries that were doing something other than American lagers fifteen to twenty years ago the benefit of the doubt since their brews were actually something different at the time. For a newer brewery to advertise as being "different" while brewing some of the most common styles in the U.S. today is either delusional, unaware of their market, or just stupid.

Yeah, but Three Floyds has never been anything beyond mildly "zany." FFF likes their silly names and stuff and it's as adorable as dad jokes plus yeah, they do have cred. You see similar patterns in marketing "something different" in many of the early craft brewers such as Boulder Brewing as well, but it's backed by a sort of sincerity that comes from someone taking their craft homebrew and going commercial. I really like Stone's beer but hate their marketing because it feels really irrelevant at this point. It's not endearing like FFF or BB and they no longer really have the edge to justify it. FFF isn't and never has been "gently caress you our beer is better than everything," and while Stone could justify that at one point, that stance is now no longer defensible.

I dunno, that type of approach reeks to me of an insecure teenager being aggressively racist towards my mother on Xbox Live.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

crazyfish posted:

And Stone also has proven that they can make good beer.

well, purely talking aesthetics, i don't like their look, but at least Stone's is well-done and consistent. this juggalo poo poo looks like some high school junior's rejected Weyerbacher design.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

BriceFxP posted:

i looked into this place when I was down near that area last year, and skipped it based on reviews / general aesthetics. smacks of a pizza place that got into brewing without any aptitude/good reason to do it, and having been to a few places like that before, I steered clear.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Glottis posted:

Something tells me you haven't gotten the REALLY carbonated ones. Last two times I've gotten a 4-pack (so, 2/3 ever) it's been so carbonated even when fridge cold that the seemingly tiniest pour fills my entire glass with foam. I've poured Orval many times and it's never like that. Granted, I love Rayon Vert, but it's such a pain in the rear end to pour when it's like that since it takes an eon to get a glass without wasting half of it.

Almost all of the many bottles I've gotten are like that. Get yourself a Duvel large chalice, its like 24oz to the brim and pour slowly and you'll get a bottle of Rayon Vert poured in 2 pourings. Properly aged orval (at least 8 months per the brewers) pours pretty similarly, along with a lot of saisons.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

blue.eyed.ash posted:

One of my pals in the LA area is looking for a retailer that sells Blind Pig or Pliny. I don't know SoCal for squat - anyone have any recommendations for bottle shops in the LA area?

Ramirez liquor in East LA, Toluca lake Vendome, Bills liquor in Atwater village, whole foods arroyo in Pasadena, Northridge total wine, red carpet in Glendale, valley beverage in Sherman Oaks, Buzz in DTLA and Wally's wines in Westwood. That should cover most regions in LA.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I ordered styro wine shippers online from UHaul, and they even came with their own boxes. I didn't expect that, I thought I was about to have to go out and buy some cardboard boxes to perfectly fit my styro shippers.

I've been trading a lot... totally worth it though.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I'll be in Baltimore this weekend and I think Monday and Tuesday with my fiancé. May bring some barrel-aged something or another to crack open at some point.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Anyone else disappointed by Victory Swing Saison?

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

LeeMajors posted:

I got this on tap and I found it was decent but unremarkable for a Saison. I thought it relied a bit more on the spices than it should have for it's type of beer, and made it feel like it was rushed. It was good one off drink, but I would not drink a second after it.

Headed off to the bottle shop to pick up two or three for the evening, let's see what I can find.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BriceFxP posted:

I got this on tap and I found it was decent but unremarkable for a Saison. I thought it relied a bit more on the spices than it should have for it's type of beer, and made it feel like it was rushed. It was good one off drink, but I would not drink a second after it.

Headed off to the bottle shop to pick up two or three for the evening, let's see what I can find.

Yeah, I picked it up a six pack and was unimpressed. Unusual for Victory to disappoint.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I enjoyed it :shobon: Very light and not much going on but I think that's what I like these days

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I really wanted to enjoy it but have had it on draft twice and it was wholly unremarkable both times. Almost too "safe" and not enough spice which is a total opposite to the post a few above this one. Was never able to find it in bottles in CT. I was disappointed because when I read about this beer I was really excited.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I didn't care for it either, but it's not something that I'd expect to like. Spices :(

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Furious Lobster posted:

Ramirez liquor in East LA, Toluca lake Vendome, Bills liquor in Atwater village, whole foods arroyo in Pasadena, Northridge total wine, red carpet in Glendale, valley beverage in Sherman Oaks, Buzz in DTLA and Wally's wines in Westwood. That should cover most regions in LA.

Forwarded along - thanks for your help!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Fort Collins Imperial Rye IPA is the most earthy smelling and tasting beer I've ever had. Those of you who grew up roaming the woods will love this, it smells like a day in the dirt and woods. Wonderful.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Flying Dog/BrewDog International Arms Race Zero IBU IPA is a fuckin' weird beer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Flying Dog/BrewDog International Arms Race Zero IBU IPA is a fuckin' weird beer.

Which one did you have?

I have had both and they are both weird, but the BrewDog version is a lot better.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

swickles posted:

Which one did you have?

I have had both and they are both weird, but the BrewDog version is a lot better.

Ha, a lot of us drinking it on release at BrewDog in Camden thought that the Flying Dog one was better and the BrewDog one was way sweet with crystal malts. They had us tasting blind and I knew the BrewDog one was theirs because of that heavy-handed crystal.

(They seem to have dialed that down since, Jackhammer is a brilliant beer)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

swickles posted:

Which one did you have?

I had the Flying Dog today. When it first hits your tongue it 100% tastes like a standard IPA but a millisecond later all I could taste was spicecake/allspice. I'm still not sure what to make of it. Only had 4oz and I'm honestly not sure if I could make it through a 16/20oz pour.

Now I just need to track down the BrewDog version.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Oh gently caress you antiquated NJ laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Dogfish Head's 120-minute IPA is the one that tastes like a war crime in a bottle, right? Because I'm getting major notes of band-aid and popcorn butter from this 90-minute.