Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Glamorama26 posted:

That or the 6 months of "Mideon to get new in ring attire!" updates.

And finally he did get it. Naked Mideon :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Do we have a name for Amrbose's finisher yet? According to wiki, it's a Headlock Driver, but have they given any official name?

For some reason, Justice For All popped in my head (I think because he screamed "JUSTICE!" on RAW) and I really like that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So the Piggie James angle happened while I was out of wrestling. What was it about the angle that made it so bad? I gather that at the least LayCool was making fun of James' weight which is obviously ludicrous, but sometimes people's reaction to the mention of the angle makes it seem like it was even worse than just the bullying.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The big thing I remember was Mickie selling it by crying and generally treating it like they had a point, rather than doing the remotely sensible thing and shrugging Laycool off/demolishing the both of them/pointing out that Michelle McCool had a history of bulimia and even in better days looked like she weighed about 90 pounds.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

The big thing I remember was Mickie selling it by crying and generally treating it like they had a point, rather than doing the remotely sensible thing and shrugging Laycool off/demolishing the both of them/pointing out that Michelle McCool had a history of bulimia and even in better days looked like she weighed about 90 pounds.

Wow an uncool attack on Michelle McCool's body image. I personally think all humans are beautiful in their own way.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Hirams Bitch posted:

Wow an uncool attack on Michelle McCool's body image. I personally think all humans are beautiful in their own way.

Please describe the ways in which The Miz is beautiful.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Require More Fire posted:

Please describe the ways in which The Miz is beautiful.

One day his body will decay and he will wither and die.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Require More Fire posted:

So the Piggie James angle happened while I was out of wrestling. What was it about the angle that made it so bad? I gather that at the least LayCool was making fun of James' weight which is obviously ludicrous, but sometimes people's reaction to the mention of the angle makes it seem like it was even worse than just the bullying.

I think the thing that made it so bad in particular were rumors that the angle was meant as a dig by management at James who they thought was overweight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why does Miz have that coat? It looks like it was leftover from when The Brood joined The Ministry.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

DeathChicken posted:

The big thing I remember was Mickie selling it by crying and generally treating it like they had a point...

I also don't recall the announcers doing much to contradict what Laycool said, either.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

So people disliked Piggy James because she actually sold what heels did as bothering her instead of not giving a crap, thus making their match meaningless instead of a grudge match where Mickie completely destroyed them both in a very satisfying conclusion?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

No, they disliked Piggy James because Mickie sold the fat jokes as if she actually was fat. It'd be kind of like if Triple H ran down Mcgillicurtis and said he wasn't in his league, and Axel sobbed, said he was right and ran away.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

So people disliked Piggy James because she actually sold what heels did as bothering her instead of not giving a crap, thus making their match meaningless instead of a grudge match where Mickie completely destroyed them both in a very satisfying conclusion?

This debate never really goes well for this forum, but here's my two cents:

I hate diva feuds based around "You so fat", because it's a stupid basis for a feud. Men never feud about these things in WWE, neither should women.

I know weight is a touchy issue with a lot of women, I just don't trust WWE at all to handle it in a mature way. So just leave it all be, feud about spilling coffee or Japanese hair commercials or something.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I mean, I get why people might have been upset at the time, but people still treat it today like it was the most horrible thing. It's like everyone forgets that the feud ended when Mickie beat both of them in something like a 5 second match.

Also X-Pac totally made fun of Mark Henry's weight, but I don't see anyone being furious at WWE for that. Mark Henry didn't even get to squad that meanie X-Pac in response.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Great White Hope posted:

I mean, I get why people might have been upset at the time, but people still treat it today like it was the most horrible thing. It's like everyone forgets that the feud ended when Mickie beat both of them in something like a 5 second match.

Also X-Pac totally made fun of Mark Henry's weight, but I don't see anyone being furious at WWE for that. Mark Henry didn't even get to squad that meanie X-Pac in response.

The worst was still the Molly Holly angle.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

Did it though? I was reading Mickie's entry on Wikipedia, and it looks like the feud dragged on, with Vickie getting involved and her & Laycool beating Mickie's team at Wrestlemania. Then Mickie won the following night on Raw, then LayCool beat her again on Smackdown before she left the company.

Maybe they weren't still calling her fat at this point, who knows.

And yes, X-Pac made fun of Mark Henry's weight in a skit 15 years ago, check and mate.

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?
You can be as evil a heel as possible, punting people in the head, trying to legitimately murder them by auto accident, breaking other wrestler's body parts and then bragging about it a week later, but the second you imply a female may be carrying a few extra pounds it's over the line.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
It was really stupid when Natalya started crying this week on Raw just because the Bellas condescendingly sang Happy Birthday at her too.

Some things are just stupid.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Hamass posted:

You can be as evil a heel as possible, punting people in the head, trying to legitimately murder them by auto accident, breaking other wrestler's body parts and then bragging about it a week later, but the second you imply a female may be carrying a few extra pounds it's over the line.

There is a difference between "implying a female may be carrying a few extra pounds" and "creating an entire angle about shaming a woman for her weight"

Especially when the women in question are usually in better shape than most women out there

It's lazy storytelling that alienates a chunk of your potential audience. Why bother doing it? No guy is going to turn off the TV because HHH tries to run over Stone Cold, but I guarantee women roll their eyes and tune out as soon as you have a group of people mocking Vickie for being fat.

Anyway, I really need to exit this debate, as I said it never goes well. I don't want to come off as white knighting, I just don't get people who defend these angles.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Did it though? I was reading Mickie's entry on Wikipedia, and it looks like the feud dragged on, with Vickie getting involved and her & Laycool beating Mickie's team at Wrestlemania. Then Mickie won the following night on Raw, then LayCool beat her again on Smackdown before she left the company.

Maybe they weren't still calling her fat at this point, who knows.

And yes, X-Pac made fun of Mark Henry's weight in a skit 15 years ago, check and mate.

I think the post-squash stuff was just 'I dislike you, you dislike me, let's fight', but if I'm forgetting something about a Divas feud it wouldn't be the first time.

And I was joking about Mark Henry/X-Pac, even if X-Pac was a big jerk to poor, poor, Mizark Henry. :colbert:

triplexpac posted:

Anyway, I really need to exit this debate, as I said it never goes well. I don't want to come off as white knighting, I just don't get people who defend these angles.

I wasn't so much trying to defend the angle as thinking "It's not like it was Molly Holly, Mickie won the feud in dominating fashion in the end!" But as I said, if I forgot something then oh well my memory sucks then. I guess my point is more of a generic "Heels being bad people and faces getting upset at heels being mean to them is ok if it ends with the face standing tall and happy at the end" rather than "Yes more fat angles! I love fat angles!"

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 29, 2013

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?

triplexpac posted:

There is a difference between "implying a female may be carrying a few extra pounds" and "creating an entire angle about shaming a woman for her weight"

Especially when the women in question are usually in better shape than most women out there

It's lazy storytelling that alienates a chunk of your potential audience. Why bother doing it? No guy is going to turn off the TV because HHH tries to run over Stone Cold, but I guarantee women roll their eyes and tune out as soon as you have a group of people mocking Vickie for being fat.

People complained about it and they haven't done one since. They've even had King/Cena tone down the Vickie fat jokes.

Laycool's gimmick were that they were petty, popular, cunty little bitches the audience was supposed to hate. Like it or not, girls like that who randomly make fun of other girls for being fat exist in drat near every high school. The audience looks at Mickie James and knows she's not fat, but sees the bullying is affecting her anyway. Thus, the audience sympathizes with Mickie and hopes she gets her revenge on Laycool.

Again, the angle didn't work because of the backlash from the fans, but far, far, far worse heel things have been done in wrestling.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

triplexpac posted:

Did it get over with anybody? Calling Mickie James fat is just so obviously not true that I don't see how it could do anything but fall flat unless a huge part of the Raw audience is goons who open jpgs of women in MSPaint to draw little red circles around their imperfections. It's different from fat sports fans calling a pro athlete out-of-shape because he missed a catch.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
For what it's worth, Big David Meltzer repeatedly stated the Piggy James angle was a direct result of management's feelings about Mickie James at the time, as in, SHE'S FAT.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WWE is a misogynistic organization.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

WWE is a misogynistic organization.

You think so, doctor? I mean, I'm not sure anybody can name a diva who didn't get humiliated at some point.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Piggy James isn't even a good rhyme. You got to kinda force it. It should have been Mickie Gains (weight).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You think so, doctor?
I'm not sure pointing out that I'm stating the obvious was necessary when the joke was that I was stating the obvious.

But yes, obviously.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Great White Hope posted:

The reason it is bad for Mickie and not for Mark is because there are girls and women in the world who see themselves as a "similar build" to Mickie. Not many men can compare their size to Mark Henry (whether he is fat vs muscled the gently caress out). Then they hear Mickie is fat and they think they are fat too, so they try to fix their perfectly healthy body. Some go so far as eating disorders.

While there are surely boys and men who have eating disorders, girls and women are far more susceptible to them due to constant pressure from the media and pop culture. Wrestling should be an escape, not another entity that kills your self esteem.

It might be a double standard, but it's one with facts to back up why it is "more acceptable" to insult overweight men vs women.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Whole lot of bad posts.

Move on from the terrible piggy james angle.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
What's the biggest wrestling angle that ended up fizzling out & not actually going anywhere?

One that I can think of is the way DX in 2000 never actually broke up, they just kind of drifted apart after months of being the focal point of the show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

What's the biggest wrestling angle that ended up fizzling out & not actually going anywhere?

One that I can think of is the way DX in 2000 never actually broke up, they just kind of drifted apart after months of being the focal point of the show.

NWO. It never really ended it just fizzled out. Then came back.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
While the NWO did just fizzle out, at least it went places.

I would say the biggest angle that never went anywhere AND just fizzled out despite months of hype was the reveal of the "Higher Power".

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Shiki Dan posted:

While the NWO did just fizzle out, at least it went places.

I would say the biggest angle that never went anywhere AND just fizzled out despite months of hype was the reveal of the "Higher Power".

The Higher Power had a payoff, it just wasn't a good one. The resulting Corporate Ministry itself was never blown off though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

jeffersonlives posted:

The Higher Power had a payoff, it just wasn't a good one. The resulting Corporate Ministry itself was never blown off though.

Yeah, I think that might have been because Undertaker got injured around that time. He was teaming with Big Show, got put on the shelf, and came back as Bikertaker.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I think the Invasion angle is way up there. WWE buys out its only competition, acquires a ton of major talent, a lot of dream matches and a very long-term and lucrative storyline were possible... and then it just became another McMahon feud where the Alliance was almost never allowed to look good, did one successful PPV and was blown off by Survivor Series that year.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

triplexpac posted:

Got to be the NWO. I was gonna say either Black Scorpion (lovely resolution) or Lita/Edge/Hardy (weird resolution) but they got wound up I guess. Possibly the Nexus.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Timbers Jim posted:

Got to be the NWO. I was gonna say either Black Scorpion (lovely resolution) or Lita/Edge/Hardy (weird resolution) but they got wound up I guess. Possibly the Nexus.
The second Nexus moreso than the first. It just quietly faded away once Punk became a top guy in the company.
You could at least say that the first Nexus "ended" when Punk ousted Wade as the leader.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Cardboard Box posted:

I think the Invasion angle is way up there. WWE buys out its only competition, acquires a ton of major talent, a lot of dream matches and a very long-term and lucrative storyline were possible... and then it just became another McMahon feud where the Alliance was almost never allowed to look good, did one successful PPV and was blown off by Survivor Series that year.

I think saying that WWE acquired "a ton of major talent" is a bit misleading. Not to say there wasn't talent there or they couldn't have done alot more to get more people, but the initial WCW talent that was brought over wasn't exactly stacked with huge names and great workers.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
When Misawa died, did the WWE acknowledge it at all? He never wrestled for them, but he was a big name who's death was directly linked to an in-ring accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Cardboard Box posted:

Well that doesn't really count as a storyline that "doesn't go anywhere". It had a payoff match, at the very least.