Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
who the hell thinks that's even remotely okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

it must have been written for a reason

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

what's a good way to use some c# without having to write web apps cause gently caress web apps

i was thinking about getting the lumia 521 cause it's dirt cheap and has wp8 and making an app for it or something. i know there's always ios but the ios market is terrible + flooded and android dev is probably miserable unless you ignore 99% of devices

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I'm hoping that the call to Math.random() is actually a very opaque piece of magic that is deterministic based on the random seed. THat seems like something that might get used in crazy C. Probably not in java. And probably not here.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

chumpchous posted:

every time i get probated (a lot), i secretly feel kinda bad about it (once or twice ifelt really bad because i definitely deserved it). if anyone ever commented on or cared about it i think it would suck a lot more than i'd ever admit

if you ever need a lol check out my rap sheet some time

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

the chance of that random number being in range is about the same chance you have of mongo db working correctly so i believe technically this is a wash

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
sent the horrible mongo thing to a friend & he discovered where it came from.

back in 2011, they noticed a problem that the mongo driver was flipped out whenever a server went down and spammed log exceptions left, right, & center. to fix it, they decided, "what if we just only log errors of that type... say... about one time in ten?"

the decision was made two years ago, and it remains in production code to this day.

god bless.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
we use mongo at my work but we're steadily transitioning off it, and the more I learn about mongo, the happier I am envisioning that future mongo-free day.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
switch to mangodb, its 100% compatible with mongo

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Zlodo posted:

why would anyone use eclipse for anything else than java

"let me install an ide that is bloated to hell because it has a million features for java but use it for a diff language where those features don't work" - no one ever

well i guess it can quick fix ur spelling in comments lol

eclipse is pretty pro actually, I used to do a code in vim until I realized that eclipse has a plugin for python ~*ThE LoRd'S P-LaNgUaGe*-. Now I do a code in eclipse because it has syntax highlighting, automatic error checking, and the bits are warmer more natural. protip: you can also control-click something and it'll take you to the original definition (even in the python source) which is AWESOME

seriously there's nothing better than eclipse+pydev that I've found for writing lovely python apps with :w00t:

edit: also eclipse has a sw8 vim plugin that you can install so that you can still move vim-style and do macros and poo poo, but you can also use the mouse and cut+paste works because it's tyool 2013

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 30, 2013

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
its bound so I press *~F10~* to switch eclipse in and out of sperg mode

it's always in sperg mode

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

vs and xcode are the only tolerable ides. only one of them runs on a tolerable OS

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

intellij idea is p good too sorry

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
can you even do anything worthwhile in xcode?

anyhow, does resharper make intellisense as good as eclipse autocomplete? that might make it worth buying

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i use resharper at work and when i use a copy of visual studio w/o it installed, i get wildly confused

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

also eclipse autocomplete is so slow that it's p much unusable. intellij idea supremacy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse autocomplete isn't slow. it also doesn't give you garbage like vs intellisense so it ends up being like 10x faster to use.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i use eclipse on 2 computers, one w/ a 4ghz sandy bridge i7 w/ 16gb of ram and windows 7, the other w/ a 3.4ghz ivy bridge i7 and 16gb of ram and os x, and it's much slower than vs autocomplete and xcode autocomplete

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

im doing a "seat of the pants" measurement so dont have any actual metrics to back that up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
did you disable the default 200ms delay?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey havent really kept up on this thread. whats going on guys. im a really bad programmer that makes stacks. u can do it too.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

im a bad programmer

idk what ill do when my secret is out

maybe work retail

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

what's a good way to use some c# without having to write web apps cause gently caress web apps

i was thinking about getting the lumia 521 cause it's dirt cheap and has wp8 and making an app for it or something. i know there's always ios but the ios market is terrible + flooded and android dev is probably miserable unless you ignore 99% of devices

all the oses that run c# are dead or dying, pick up cobol or fortran while there's still a bit of (terrible, broke-rear end, academic) life in those

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

hey havent really kept up on this thread. whats going on guys. im a really bad programmer that makes stacks. u can do it too.

you must have incredible work life balance

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Shaggar posted:

did you disable the default 200ms delay?

why is that even a setting (no didnt)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Share Bear posted:

you must have incredible work life balance

which is good b/c i run the household too so i've got another 4 hours of work ahead of me when i go home!

lol.

:smith:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Poopernickel posted:

protip: you can also control-click something and it'll take you to the original definition (even in the python source) which is AWESOME

oh yea, moving both hands off home row to go wiggle some peripheral around instead of just hitting F12 like GOD INTENDED

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CamH posted:

why is that even a setting (no didnt)

to give it that authentic open sores feel.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like it literally exists because greybeards think they can type faster than autocomplete so they didn't want it coming up.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

which is good b/c i run the household too so i've got another 4 hours of work ahead of me when i go home!

lol.

:smith:

i dont know i cannot find the time to do anything on my own due to a mix of work and life obligations so i'm impressed out how much you've picked up over time

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

like it literally exists because greybeards think they can type faster than autocomplete so they didn't want it coming up.

i hate wikipedia because i have to type faster than their autocomplete can suggest stupid poo poo :mad:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's cause javascript is bad but also because you're using a slow browser. upgrade to ie10 today.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

I had to downgrade my work computer to ie9 because our systems administrators decided it needed to be tested before we could be allowed to install it. It was working fine for me tho. What browser should I use shaggar?? Ie 9 is unusable trash. Opera?

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Shaggar I have a question for you and this seems like the appropriate thread to ask it in

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CamH posted:

I had to downgrade my work computer to ie9 because our systems administrators decided it needed to be tested before we could be allowed to install it. It was working fine for me tho. What browser should I use shaggar?? Ie 9 is unusable trash. Opera?

ie9 is great. ie10 is better. install ie10 and ignore your system administrators

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

today i thought id figure out how to make a webapp because apparently thats the hip thing to do these days so i opened visual studio (the one true ide) and creaded some sort of mvc project and looked at the autogenerated code for about half an hour and then decided that i dont know how to do anything and closed visual studio

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i try to fantasize about a job where i'd be happy, and it's awfully difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

prefect posted:

i try to fantasize about a job where i'd be happy, and it's awfully difficult

i can think of jobs were i'd be happy but getting one of them is another thing entirely

being a not terrible programmer would probably help tho. how do i do that?

• Locked thread