Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Patton Oswalt did an AMA on Reddit yesterday, and said he's finishing a second book covering his life/career from 95-99.

I didn't know he was that old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Not quite sure where I heard it but I think Patton is deceptively old, like 56 or something.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Not quite sure where I heard it but I think Patton is deceptively old, like 56 or something.

He's in his mid 40s, same as everybody else from the 90s alternative comedy scene. He pretty much looks his age too.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

I think you're thinking of Doug Benson, who is in fact deceptively old.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah, Benson's nearly 50.

Also, what stand-up should I check out on Netflix while I have the month trial? Obviously I've seen all of Louie's stuff, Stanhope's stuff, Tosh's stuff. I've seen all of Aziz's stuff too. Everything by any and all of the Comedians of Comedy.

First thing I watched on there was Moshe Kasher Live in Oakland. I definitely want to check out Brian Posehn's stand-up from last year. The work he did between Nerd Rage and The Fartist was really iffy, so I'm curious to see if he's returned to form with The Fartist.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I assume The Fartist is a TV only special? Because he only has 2 albums.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

escape artist posted:

Yeah, Benson's nearly 50.

Also, what stand-up should I check out on Netflix while I have the month trial? Obviously I've seen all of Louie's stuff, Stanhope's stuff, Tosh's stuff. I've seen all of Aziz's stuff too. Everything by any and all of the Comedians of Comedy.

First thing I watched on there was Moshe Kasher Live in Oakland. I definitely want to check out Brian Posehn's stand-up from last year. The work he did between Nerd Rage and The Fartist was really iffy, so I'm curious to see if he's returned to form with The Fartist.

I would watch all of the John Oliver's New York Stand Up Show -- they're a really great mix of awesome people. I was also a big fan of The Benson Interruption which may still be on there. Dana Gould is always great, too.

Also while you have Netflix I definitely recommend you watch Bunk if you didn't watch it on IFC last year. I think it's hilarious.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It's not standup, but watch Sleepwalk With Me if you haven't already. Even if you're not a fan of Mike Birbiglia.

More not standup: half of the ASSSSCAT dvd is on Netflix (and the Bravo special is on Youtube somewhere if you haven't seen it), as is American: The Bill Hicks Story, Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work, Conan O'Brien Can't Stop (not a huge fan of Conan but I still liked it).

Actual standup: Zach Galifianakis Live at the Purple Onion, uh... that's all I see in the standup comedy section that you didn't mention and that I liked. I don't like a lot of standup though.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 30, 2013

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

detectivemonkey posted:

Dana Gould is always great, too.
Getting conversations mixed up, I suddenly came to the realization that Dana Gould is younger than Doug Benson. Okay, only by a few months, but still that just feels wrong.

I also remember when Doug Benson was a prop comic. That also feels wrong.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Oh, that new(ish?) Bobcat Goldthwait special is good too.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
All these are great suggestions. You know I like sketch/podcast/improv/stand-up, whatever. I already have the Mike Birbiglia film. And I bought Live at the Purple Onion like 6 years ago.

poo poo, just found a Todd Glass special on there.

Also, I love Bobcat so I want to see that special.

John Oliver's stand-up show and Benson Interruption are both gone :(

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

escape artist posted:

poo poo, just found a Todd Glass special on there.

Ehhh... I don't think it was very good. I liked Thin Pig, and I like him as a guy that's on podcasts and is funny, but the newest special seemed kinda preachy. Which would be fine, except that there wasn't nearly enough humor to go along with that preaching.

It could be that I'd heard basically all the material on podcasts already, but I suppose that's his fault for constantly using his material in podcasts.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Browsing Netflix is a loving nightmare. I didn't see that Dana Gould special, which I'll definitely watch. And the Eddie Izzard that I haven't seen. Arj Barker special will be good if it's not the same as his old album.

Colin Quinn's Long Story Short is honestly brilliant. It needs to be seen.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Viacom, owner of Comedy Central, just pulled out of Netflix so stand-up is going to be super thin on there now.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Is anybody interested in a ticket for Anthony Jeselnik in Portland on next Friday, the 7th? I ordered it was early thinking I was fine and I'm not going to be in town on that weekend. Super pissed off. Pretty good seats near the front too.

They don't do refunds, but the site said I can call and ask about someone else picking it up from Will Call. If they won't do that then I guess it's just $25 down the drain. I thought I would ask around here since I'd rather someone go and enjoy him than them going to waste.

Sorry mods if I shouldn't post this here, I just figured most people possibly interested would be in here.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Bill Burr's specials are AMAZING. If you haven't seen any Bill Burr, you're in for a treat shortly!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

sharktamer posted:

I didn't know he was that old.

I was surprised to find out he was 95-99 years old.

Wooooooosh.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Groucho Marxist posted:

Viacom, owner of Comedy Central, just pulled out of Netflix so stand-up is going to be super thin on there now.

drat, I never got around to Moeshe Kasher and Nick Kroll's specials. Any alternatives out there? Hulu+ or something?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

That Moshe Kasher special on Netflix is a Netflix produced thing isn't it? So it's not gonna be taken down I wouldn't think.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Netflix also has a lot of Katt Williams specials, but he can either be funny or TERRIBLE depending on which one and there are so many of them I'm not sure which are the funny ones.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

^^^^^The key to Katt Williams specials are:

Is he sweating profusely through his pimp suit? Then it's a good show.

The Original Kings of Comedy is on instant streaming the last time I checked.

Eddie Murphy's first two specials are on Netflix and required viewing for any stand-up fan. Also a fun time capsule of an era where it was fine for a popular entertainer to use the word human being. Not like today where someone like Tyler the Creator is vilified and his career ended because of it lol just playing.

George Carlin has a poo poo ton of specials on Netflix and since they were all on HBO, they shouldn't be affected by the Viacom pullout. Complaints and Grievances is one of his better later specials despite an untimely rant against airport security a couple months before 9/11. Carlin does a couple bits and then just goes down a list of stuff that pisses him off ending with an edited list of the 10 Commandants.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Eddie Murphy's first two specials are on Netflix and required viewing for any stand-up fan. Also a fun time capsule of an era where it was fine for a popular entertainer to use the word human being. Not like today where someone like Tyler the Creator is vilified and his career ended because of it lol just playing.

In retrospect, it turns out Eddie was just trying to take the word back.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just don't get the Eddie Murphy specials. Maybe it's because I am queer, but I was really put off by how he used "human being" twice every line. It wasn't offensive because of that, it was offensive because it seemed so lazy.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

escape artist posted:

I just don't get the Eddie Murphy specials. Maybe it's because I am queer, but I was really put off by how he used "human being" twice every line. It wasn't offensive because of that, it was offensive because it seemed so lazy.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to get past that. Everyone always says how Eddie Murphy is one of the greatest comedians of all time on account of his early standup, but even ignoring the potential for his language to be deemed offensive in a reactionary way it never seemed all that well crafted to me. I've seen Raw and the other ones people cite as examples all the time and they've all felt like flat comedy trying to get cheap laughs by being edgy. It's difficult to tell if people are just looking at it with rose-tinted glasses or if it was only funny at the time on account of being revolutionary or what.

Norbit was poo poo though. I'm sure of that much.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to get past that. Everyone always says how Eddie Murphy is one of the greatest comedians of all time on account of his early standup, but even ignoring the potential for his language to be deemed offensive in a reactionary way it never seemed all that well crafted to me. I've seen Raw and the other ones people cite as examples all the time and they've all felt like flat comedy trying to get cheap laughs by being edgy. It's difficult to tell if people are just looking at it with rose-tinted glasses or if it was only funny at the time on account of being revolutionary or what.

Norbit was poo poo though. I'm sure of that much.

I have no idea how old you are, but I was a kid when the Eddie Murphy specials hit, and they set the goddamn world on fire. He was the guy that was handed the torch by Richard Pryor (another guy whose work hasn't aged very gracefully imo) and, I guess it being a product of its time, was the funniest and edgiest thing going. There was literally no one I knew, kid or adult, who didn't think the guy was brilliant. There's still a few of his bits that hold up very well, but a lot of it is just plain cringeworthy now. Bear in mind, I'm from a generation that threw the word human being around pretty liberally until we decided it was time to grow up, and we also made Dice and Sam loving Kinison megastars. We've got a few things to answer for.

Speaking of old comedians, I saw that Jake Johansen has a fairly recent standup special on Netflix, and it might be almost 20 years since I've heard anything by him. Any good?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's primarily his charisma and stage presence. Murphy's act has aged incredibly poorly though. Due to as you point out a lot of the punch lines just being "I don't want that fag to suck my dick!"

I honestly think it was less the edge but his presence and there are some great story telling moments in his sets too. As Dummy points out there were other edgy comedians from that era and prior. This doesn't make it inherently good or bad but it was a different era and now as we move on and then look back this looks even more dated.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Plus a lot of his hatred towards gays was really just self-hatred since he's most likely a closeted gay/bisexual.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DangerDummy! posted:

Speaking of old comedians, I saw that Jake Johansen has a fairly recent standup special on Netflix, and it might be almost 20 years since I've heard anything by him. Any good?

If you're talking about "I Love You", the standup is great. But the direction/editing of the special is terrible.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

If you're talking about "I Love You", the standup is great. But the direction/editing of the special is terrible.

I just watched it, and he's still very funny. He's one of those guys like Kevin James or Ricky Gervais, where even if the material isn't great he's a fun guy to watch for the sake of his delivery. But yeah, the direction is bizarre. The MTV editing was bad enough, but for some reason they decided to shove the camera up his nose every so often for good measure.

On second thought, I'm going to take Gervais out of the equation just because his last special was loving atrocious. Speaking as a dyed in the wool athiest, if there's one thing I cannot stand is listening to an athiest go on and on about how loving smart and clever they are. It's just goddamn exhausting and obnoxious. Yeah, we get it. Jesus was queer. Hilarious.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Gervais is not a good stand up.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Eddie Murpy Raw is still my favorite stand up special of all time.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Let's all name our favorite comedy specials.

Mine is Jeff Dunham - I don't really feel like looking up the name of a Jeff Dunham special. You know, the one where he's racist and is an adult playing with children's toys and this creeps nobody out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Let's all name our favorite comedy specials.

Mine is Jeff Dunham - I don't really feel like looking up the name of a Jeff Dunham special. You know, the one where he's racist and is an adult playing with children's toys and this creeps nobody out.

A racist adult playing with children's toys, no wonder he's so popular in America.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I brought this up last time eddy Murphy raw was brought up, but watching it now is really really uncomfortable. Because he obviously has a real talent and charisma, but he seriously opens the show by saying he doesn't want to turn around to the audience because he is scared that a human being will gently caress him in the rear end and give him aids.

Like how do you even respond to that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it's the oldest joke in the book but I can't take anyone in tight bright leather calling me a 'human being' seriously.

But yea it is really gross remembering that a decent hunk of his old stuff was just "THOSE FUCKIN GAYS SURE ARE GROSS YEA?!"

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I brought this up last time eddy Murphy raw was brought up, but watching it now is really really uncomfortable. Because he obviously has a real talent and charisma, but he seriously opens the show by saying he doesn't want to turn around to the audience because he is scared that a human being will gently caress him in the rear end and give him aids.

Like how do you even respond to that.

Its truly uncomfortable and terrible but the last half is still pretty terrific.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Serious chat, incoming.

Alright so what's everyone's opinion on rape jokes and the c-word in comedy? Let me explain:

All of a sudden, there is so much outrage, just out of nowhere it seems, about these topics. Salon.com, Jezebel, even the Nation is writing about it. Some comics are joking that they should get a "Louis CK card" that allows them to joke about anything, because he never gets poo poo for his jokes.

Everybody acts as if people who make jokes... jokes, mind you, are MRAs or misogynists. What do you think? I mean, half the audience is women, and the whole audience is laughing.

I just wonder-- do you think in 20 years we'll look back on Louis CK and Daniel Tosh and whomever else, and think the same thing we do about Eddie Murphy now?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

escape artist posted:

I just wonder-- do you think in 20 years we'll look back on Louis CK and Daniel Tosh and whomever else, and think the same thing we do about Eddie Murphy now?

I don't think you need to travel into the future to find people who think that Daniel Tosh is tasteless.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anything I want to say on the subject has already been said by Todd Glass and/or PFT in one of the PFT eps of The Todd Glass Show (I think the first one?), so I'll just post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zakweJlPEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

escape artist posted:

Serious chat, incoming.

Alright so what's everyone's opinion on rape jokes and the c-word in comedy? Let me explain:

All of a sudden, there is so much outrage, just out of nowhere it seems, about these topics. Salon.com, Jezebel, even the Nation is writing about it. Some comics are joking that they should get a "Louis CK card" that allows them to joke about anything, because he never gets poo poo for his jokes.

Everybody acts as if people who make jokes... jokes, mind you, are MRAs or misogynists. What do you think? I mean, half the audience is women, and the whole audience is laughing.

If you buy into Chris Rock's philosophy on stuff like that, and I kinda do, if it's funny, then it's okay to laugh at it. It's really up to your own moral barometer. There's a lot of grey area there, but what people find funny and what people find offensive is a pretty arbitrary thing.

Carlin's bit about Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd is hilarious. Tosh's bit about wouldn't it be funny if she was gang-raped isn't, but then again, there's no real joke there.

Also, and this is just from my personal experience mind you, I work with a lot of women, and I've observed men more than women getting uncomfortable with the word oval office, but it relies very heavily on context. I'm not a huge fan of guys referring to women as bitches and cunts. I had to dress down one of my subordinates for thinking the word "bitches" was interchangeable for "women".

Whatever. Long story short, it all comes down to personal taste, though prevailing social trends will eventually dictate how acceptable certain jokes will be, as evidenced by the whole Eddie Murphy discussion. If the social mass deems it unacceptable, eventually it's going to go away.

quote:

If you could think of the name of the special I'd be very grateful tia

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 3, 2013