Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
A harvest moon iOS game would probably require my iDevice to be consantly plugged in until I die from exhaustion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

SpookyLizard posted:

Is there anytips for not sucking at dead ahead? Ive switched the controls to the opposite side and from the slider to the buttons, but i still seem fairly awful at it. Is there any easy way to get kill streaks going on the first map? Any recommended guns or anything? The shotgun utterly ruins the boss, but it doesnt prove super useful in shooting tons of dudes. Can you buy stuff before its been unlocked? Is there any one partiular thing i should focus on buying first? Guns or bikes or bike upgrades?
Just get the heavy pistol and keep slogging along. Once you unlock the second level play there exclusively because you get way more coins that way. Really the only way you get "better" is by upgrading your bike. There's really not much skill involved other than avoiding cars.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
There are currently no Harvest Moon clones on the App Store.

Closest thing you're going to get (because I'm assuming you don't have a handheld console) is Stardew Valley for the PC. It recently got Greenlit for Steam.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
In Dead Ahead how do I get the steering on the left side of the screen? Only seeing options to change from sliding to buttons.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So my favorite game is Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, originally on PS1. I need some recommendations for games that could scratch my BTN itch. The basic premise is such: you control a farmer dude from a 3/4 overhead perspective and conduct various farming tasks, visit village shops and locales, forage for truffles in the forest, participate in awesome festivals like the Chicken Sumo and Tomato Fight festival, and woo a (consenting adult) pixel chick from the village with pixel wine and flowers &ct.

All the farming related games on IOS seem to be the Farmville variety, which is not at all similar to BTN. Please find below an example of what I'm talking about.

Harvest Moon is basically the best, and no one has made anything even approaching it on iOS. Personally I'm more into the Rune Factory spin-off series (it has dungeon crawling on top of the farming and wooing and shopping and festivaling) but it doesn't matter because there is nothing and apparently never will be anything like it on this platform.

Time to pick up a used DS lite- there's a slew of Harvest Moons on it (and Animal Crossing, the other glaring absence on the App Store).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

and woo a (peculiar toddler-looking) pixel chick from the village with pixel grass and turnips &tc.

I fixed this for you. And sorry, but you aren't going to find a HM game on iOS that isn't basically entirely IAP-driven. Farmville clones are probably the closest you're going to get.

You know that just about all HM games are like BTN right? Just wondering why you mentioned BTN specifically.

E. multiple typos because gently caress my phone

Corridor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 29, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

SweetJahasus posted:

In Dead Ahead how do I get the steering on the left side of the screen? Only seeing options to change from sliding to buttons.
Drag the buttons from the left side to the right.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Corridor posted:

I fixed this for you. And sorry, but you aren't going to find a HM game on iOS that isn't basically entirely IAP-driven. Farmville clones are probably the closest you're going to get.

You know that just about all HM games are like BTN right? Just wondering why you mentioned BTN Specifically.

Festivals are not present in subsequent HM offerings. Honestly, I just can't get into HM games where you can't race horses or hit people in the face with vegetables to win power berries. Also, that fall festival where you throw an item into a giant melting pot.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Hmmm... with all of these great games being released for the iPad, it makes me second-guess buying a Macbook Air (just for playing PC/OSX games on the couch).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If I were purchasing an entertainment device, I would definitely go with an iPad over a MacBook Air. I own both.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

Just get the heavy pistol and keep slogging along. Once you unlock the second level play there exclusively because you get way more coins that way. Really the only way you get "better" is by upgrading your bike. There's really not much skill involved other than avoiding cars.

The akira bike helped a lot, actually. When i finally got the fifteen I got it by a wide loving margin too. What about the jump three cars thing? From what I remember earlier in the thread you have land on them, is there any way to find a bunch of ramps and cars arranged properly on a given map, or is more of just "Keep on sloggin'"?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Teddybear posted:

So... this is kinda an iOS game, in that your phone is the controller for the on-screen game.

http://chrome.com/campaigns/rollit
I tried this in Safari and it worked fine. I tried it in Chrome and the sound was all messed up :v:

This is fun but I'm going to stop before I accidentally fling my phone out the window.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
It's neat in a novelty sort of way but it's obviously just a ploy to get people to download Chrome onto their computers and phones and by itself is incredibly boring.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If I were purchasing an entertainment device, I would definitely go with an iPad over a MacBook Air. I own both.

Seconded. I've got both too, and find myself using my Air less and less these days in favour of the iPad (Mini). My Air's a couple of years old now, but it tends to get hot and fire the fans up the moment anything resembling a game is on screen.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

It's neat in a novelty sort of way but it's obviously just a ploy to get people to download Chrome onto their computers and phones and by itself is incredibly boring.

This browser/iPhone combination has been done before. Giant Bomb showed one during one of their shows like last year. You piloted a ship on your computer by tilting the phone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SpookyLizard posted:

A harvest moon iOS game would probably require my iDevice to be consantly plugged in until I die from exhaustion

Maybe Rune Factory will get ported to mobile if/when PW does well. I think Rune Factory is the Harvest Moon plus RPG mechanics game, right?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's Harvest Moon + a Dungeon Crawler. The worst part of it involved you HAVING to do dungeon crawly bits, but it's been ages since I've thought about that game so I don't remember. But it definitely had all the important Harvest Moon bits.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I don't know about New Zealand, but Warhammer Quest isn't visible in the Australian store. BGG says it drops 11.00pm US east coast time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Apparently Magicka is going free tonight. Seems like a strange choice, but hey...

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

SpookyLizard posted:

The akira bike helped a lot, actually. When i finally got the fifteen I got it by a wide loving margin too. What about the jump three cars thing? From what I remember earlier in the thread you have land on them, is there any way to find a bunch of ramps and cars arranged properly on a given map, or is more of just "Keep on sloggin'"?

Yeah, once you have that bike there's no reason to use any of the others unless you want to make the game harder for yourself. Each time you play it seems the level is randomly arranged out of a bunch of set-pieces so if you go far enough you'll definitely get your three cars. I found I had to actually land on top of them to get it, but maybe I just wasn't lined up properly on the others.

Farther on in the later levels I found crowd control guns like the shotty and grenade launcher better. It's hard to cut down the mob before they catch up and swarm you after hitting a fat cop zombie without some AoE. Those two rapid shots will do a lot more for you in that tiny window of opportunity to escape than two clips out of any pistol.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

So my favorite game is Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, originally on PS1. I need some recommendations for games that could scratch my BTN itch. The basic premise is such: you control a farmer dude from a 3/4 overhead perspective and conduct various farming tasks, visit village shops and locales, forage for truffles in the forest, participate in awesome festivals like the Chicken Sumo and Tomato Fight festival, and woo a (consenting adult) pixel chick from the village with pixel wine and flowers &ct.

All the farming related games on IOS seem to be the Farmville variety, which is not at all similar to BTN. Please find below an example of what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_oyyx1h_dA
There is nothing. Get a 3ds and animal crossing, or wait til Stardew Valley comes out on PC. I would kill for that game on iOS.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

SpookyLizard posted:

The Forest map is really spare until you get one or two kilometers in, but the ramp & car setups appear frequently once they start showing up. The tricky part is that you usually have to stay around 20 kph in order to keep from flying over the car completely, meaning the runners will be on your rear end, but with the magic akira bike you should be able to manage.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Two last questions. Does The save data work via icloud, or am i stuck with two different save datas between my phone and ipad?

Two, is there anyway to slow down other than smashing into small barriers a d zombies?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Phoenix Wright is out in the UK app store, downloading it now :D

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Frankston posted:

Phoenix Wright is out in the UK app store, downloading it now :D

UK goon here and drawing a blank looking for it. How do I get it?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I can't find it either. Are you looking direct on the iTunes site or something?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got it from the Capcom page, it didn't show up in a search.

And you can do stuff like this and send it to tweets and emails for some reason:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Warhammer Quest is now live on the UK store as well. Searching for it didn't work, but using the direct link from the TA app picked it up instantly.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I can confirm the UK site has Warhammer Quest at least:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/warhammer-quest/id573516833?mt=8

E: Beaten by a hair but there's the link

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Not iPhone 5 optimised. I thought they couldn't release apps without widescreen anymore.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

edit: n/m

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

For those having trouble finding Phoenix Wright:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ace-attorney-phoenix-wright/id365681816?mt=8

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 30, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

McDragon posted:

Yeah, JJ has a good approach. I think Punch Quest probably does it best.

Speaking of Punch Quest, I got back into it again recently. It's still my favourite endless thingy I think.

Me too. It's just so joyful and ludicrous. Ascend, little sociopathic gnome! Ascend!

mikon
Apr 5, 2009
Looks like there's no discount for having bought the standalone Ace Attorney app. Disappointing that they didn't keep up that promise, but then again maybe I should be grateful the wait's finally over.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GTA3 just updated with iPhone 5 widescreen, iCloud save, and custom playlist support.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I played and finished Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 on the DS ages ago, is it possible to just start with the third one in the ios app?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

It's Harvest Moon + a Dungeon Crawler. The worst part of it involved you HAVING to do dungeon crawly bits, but it's been ages since I've thought about that game so I don't remember. But it definitely had all the important Harvest Moon bits.

Rune Factory 1 sucks and is boring, but RF2 and RF3 own bones. If they got ported I'd play the poo poo out of them (again).

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Davincie posted:

I played and finished Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 on the DS ages ago, is it possible to just start with the third one in the ios app?

Yup. You get case 1+2 of AA1 for free and after that it seems you can choose to buy/play whatever else in any order you like.

Also Warhammer Quest is stupidly fun and freakin amazingly well presented. So long as it introduces enough variety throughout the game I'd probably call it a must buy.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Corridor posted:

Rune Factory 1 sucks and is boring, but RF2 and RF3 own bones. If they got ported I'd play the poo poo out of them (again).

Totally agree with this, I can't wait till 4 comes out.

[e] What's the pricing on PW cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

DrManiac posted:

Totally agree with this, I can't wait till 4 comes out.

[e] What's the pricing on PW cases?

£3.99 for the remaining 3 cases of PW1 and £4.99 for each of the other two games. Seems you cant buy individual cases like I hoped.
You can get the whole lot for £11.99.
For what it matters, the best game IMO is probably 3 (with 2 in definite last place mostly due to length and that goddamn circus case). If you were to only get one of them I'd strongly recommend 3.

• Locked thread