Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hammy posted:

Newbie question: I have a Duke with a claim on the Kingdom of England, if I press it and win does he remain my vassal or does he become the independent King of England? If he becomes independent what happens to the duchy he already controls?

I don't think so. I'm not an expert, but I do think that you have to be higher rank than the other guy to control him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Coward posted:

I've seen it asked a couple of times in the thread, and I'm really keen for this as well.

Can someone confirm that you can play Aztecs with TOG? How does one go about it, and, if anyone's tried it, how does it compare to the rest of the TOG experience?

Yes you can, you just have to load from a save where they've already started the invasion since they obviously don't show up in any of the bookmarks.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Zoinker posted:

Yes you can, you just have to load from a save where they've already started the invasion since they obviously don't show up in any of the bookmarks.

Fantastic!

Can you Ruler Design one? Sorry, haven't gotten to grips with the game as yet so not entirely sure how the Ruler Designer functions.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've noticed that some viking rulers start with what seems like a retinue only it's not in the retinue list. What is this and how can I increase it? Is there an old gods manual somewhere? It took me forever to actually figure out how to raid.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Coward posted:

Fantastic!

Can you Ruler Design one? Sorry, haven't gotten to grips with the game as yet so not entirely sure how the Ruler Designer functions.

You could, but you wouldn't have the massive invasion army or any flavor events.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
Ive always been wanting to Play as a Muslim ruler for some time, got the game with all the expansions on the steam linux sale, been burning many hours into it, but I seemingly am horrible with playing as a Muslim ruler. After Im doing pillaging for Odin and such, I wanna get back to more sword of Islam stuff. Anyone have a good suggestions for a good starting muslim ruler?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Little_Viking posted:

Ive always been wanting to Play as a Muslim ruler for some time, got the game with all the expansions on the steam linux sale, been burning many hours into it, but I seemingly am horrible with playing as a Muslim ruler. After Im doing pillaging for Odin and such, I wanna get back to more sword of Islam stuff. Anyone have a good suggestions for a good starting muslim ruler?

My favourite is the ruler of Palermo in Sicily in 1066, if you can unite that Duchy, you can then just a about to anything you want.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

It seems you can't make your heir a Godi to disinherit him.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Hammy posted:

Newbie question: I have a Duke with a claim on the Kingdom of England, if I press it and win does he remain my vassal or does he become the independent King of England? If he becomes independent what happens to the duchy he already controls?

Speaking of this, why doesn't The Old Gods include CK2+'s handy "this dude WILL/WILL NOT become your vassal" notification on this sort of thing? That's definitely one of the things I'm really missing in vanilla now.

Anyways does anyone know where this is in CK2+ and how hard it would be to rip out into its own mod?

crm posted:

It seems you can't make your heir a Godi to disinherit him.

It worked for me. All of my sons except the one I want to inherit were given temples and are no longer in the succession.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Sheep posted:

Speaking of this, why doesn't The Old Gods include CK2+'s handy "this dude WILL/WILL NOT become your vassal" notification on this sort of thing? That's definitely one of the things I'm really missing in vanilla now.

Anyways does anyone know where this is in CK2+ and how hard it would be to rip out into its own mod?

It worked for me. All of my sons except the one I want to inherit were given temples and are no longer in the succession.

Your direct heir. It said it very clearly in red text. I could make people down the succession line a Godi, but not my first born son.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.

A Tartan Tory posted:

My favourite is the ruler of Palermo in Sicily in 1066, if you can unite that Duchy, you can then just a about to anything you want.

Well, just tried the 1066 scenario, went to mecca, came back and was immediately declared holy war upon by nearly all of Italy. I desperately threw mercenaries at them, but sadly, after my mercenaries declared war on me, my wife who was pregnant dying of illness, I lost everything by 1069. Time to try again!

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

I can't seem to stop myself from cuckolding my enemies wives after I captured them....seems to me like the ultimate insult to take a dudes wife as your concubine....though sacrificing his heir at a blot is pretty bad rear end too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neif posted:

I can't seem to stop myself from cuckolding my enemies wives after I captured them....seems to me like the ultimate insult to take a dudes wife as your concubine....though sacrificing his heir at a blot is pretty bad rear end too.

Yeah. I feel like doing a playthrough where I collect a queen from every kingdom in Europe.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

crm posted:

Your direct heir. It said it very clearly in red text. I could make people down the succession line a Godi, but not my first born son.

Ah, the one kid I actually didn't make a Godi. Figures!

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Pakled posted:

Yeah. I feel like doing a playthrough where I collect a queen from every kingdom in Europe.

Earlier today I was actually thinking of trying to capture a prisoner from every faith in some twisted version of Viking Pokémon.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is it possible to capture the pope?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Can someone please screencap where the gently caress the "Planned Invasion" button is? I'm looking everywhere for it and can't find it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is it possible to capture the pope?

Yep. He has an unfortunate tendency to lead armies. As a Muslim character I've executed him several times. Sacrificing him at Blot sounds a lot more badass, though. Which reminds me, this DLC is pretty great, but what's with the lack of Blood Eagle-ing your opponents? That would be a nice little mod addition.

Heaney edit:
With a butcher's aplomb
they spread out your lungs
and made you warm wings
for your shoulders

:angel:

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 30, 2013

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Tehan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 30, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A non-TOG question: I was working on taking over Ireland and had built myself up to running several southern counties. I had fabricated a claim on some area to the north and had hired a mercenary band to help defeat them when I lost track of time and ran out of money before the war was over. Next thing I know, the mercenary band has declared war on me for non-payment and handily crushes me since they have me outnumbered by about 4:1. So now I am left with the single southernmost county and am surrounded by territory owned by the mercenary band (one of whom is my liege). They regularly go to war with their other neighbors, tramping around with multiple 2000- to 4000-man armies.

Is my only option waiting until I can afford another huge horde of mercenaries and hope the war to overthrow these jerks finishes before I go broke again? My leige and his other mercenary buddies apparently don't have any family or heirs; every time one dies another appears in his place without any explanation for how the succession worked so I can't try to marry in to their organization.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 30, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

gently caress playing the norse. I WILL BECOME THE SAVIOUR OF ALL MANKIND as the restorer of Zoroastrianism. :hist101:

Starting as the duke up in khiva you can use your starting stuff to murderboat the guy next to him for the duchy of khiva while the only guys who might help him beat each other up in their auto war. Oftentimes a powerful Zoroastor count next to you under shia rule will break free and if you can get to king of khiva before he can usurp a dukedom you can vassal him. Then mug the shia surrounded by sunnis for a bit more land and as much else you can get in khiva via de jure wars once you form the kingdom.

So far so good other than my vassals at -25 due to raised to long. Need to take a break from glorious reconquest.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Coolodile posted:

Hey I bought Sunset Invasion because I wanted to play as an Aztec with TOG, except whenever they invade they just land a large army in Spain and nothing happens. They don't even declare war apparently, so this huge army just sits there.

That kinda sounds like what happened to me in one of my games several months ago, except it was with the Golden Horde instead. In my game, the Kingdom of Rus broke out into civil war and fragmented into a million pieces, and the Mongol invasion army happened to enter the map right on top of one of those fragments of the Rus Kingdom. Before the Mongols were able to capture that fragment though, the civil war ended and the Kingdom of Rus instantly reformed all of a sudden. This caused the Mongols' invasion war to end as well, inconclusively, because their target no longer existed. After that, the Mongol army just sat there, broken, because they couldn't declare a new war because their troops were not in friendly territory, and they had no friendly territory to retreat to.

I was hoping they would have fixed that by now but I guess they didn't. You will have to go into the console and give a county to the Aztec leader manually. You type in "charinfo 1" into the console to show the ID number of any character you mouse over, and then use the "give_title" command to give him the county they spawned on top of. After you give them a county they should start behaving normally again, and you can switch over and play as them.

From the CK2 wiki:
http://crusaderkings-two.wikia.com/wiki/Cheats

quote:

'give_title <title-id> <char-id>' Gives you the title, and you get vassals and everything beneath it. Title IDs are predictable, in the format of k_name for counties, b_name and d_name for baronies and duchies. titles with spaces are either c_county_name or "c_county name"

Edit: Actually never mind what I said because apparently they broke the Aztecs completely:

Rixaxun posted:

The latest patch removed the ability for anyone other than Altaic and Magyar cultures to use that tribal invasion casus belli, so when the aztecs appear their scripted event war can't actually fire. So they sit there, forever. You can fix it by manually adding culture_group = mesoamerican to the tribal invasion CB listing in cbtypes.txt. Or just wait for the bugfix patch.
So do that instead I guess.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 30, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just spent a century uniting the Empire of Britannia as the heirs of Ragnar Hairy-Breeks based in Jorvik (edited the file so Norse can make the empire because loving gavelkind would rip the kingdoms apart every time I died otherwise), but that's not the story here.

Reviewing the world - Scandinavia is loving terrifying by the way - I went to see if any Zoroastrians remained over by the Caspian. A couple of provinces cling to the fire as the Seljuks invade. But... what's this? In Persia proper?

:stare:

The last time I looked at this part of the world was only about 40 years ago when there was nothing in the region that wasn't Islamic except for those Mazdaki provinces below the Aral Sea. The man responsible for this is one Shah Kosrau the Liberator, who apparently came to power 36 years ago. I don't know where he came from, he's the first of his House. I don't know how he beat the gently caress out of the Muslims so comprehensively despite his fairly impressive stats, but the Shahdom of Kosrau is huge and powerful. I don't know how he's converted so many provinces so effectively, but the Manichean religion looks pretty well restored and established.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Man, gently caress y'all Vikings. Playing as Alfred the Great, just overthrew my brother and am swiftly conquering my way up England. :black101:

edit: Why should I throw out Vikings raiding my land? I know it gives them money but does it hurt my province?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Man, gently caress y'all Vikings. Playing as Alfred the Great, just overthrew my brother and am swiftly conquering my way up England. :black101:

edit: Why should I throw out Vikings raiding my land? I know it gives them money but does it hurt my province?

-25% tax modifier to every settlement (castle, town, church) they raid.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Looted holdings have a -25% tax penalty until they're replenished.

E: beaten like a longship drum.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
In addition to the looted penalties, sometimes holdings can be entirely destroyed by raiders.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Are there any new heresies? I have evil plans once I buy it :getin:

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Are there any new heresies? I have evil plans once I buy it :getin:

Zoroastrianism has a few now, and the Pagan faiths have a couple which can appear if you reform the faith (including ones that represent old believers unbowed to the reformed temples).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Had a 67% warscore against the king of Jorvik, Scotland was kicking his rear end, then he converts and I lose my CB. So close.

e: Anf then the opportunistic little bastard goes to holy war against his own Viking buddies.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 30, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, Great Holy Wars != Prepared Invasions.

Prepared Invasions are a thing you can do from day one as a Norseman, even with an unreformed faith; a Norse ruler with a small realm can basically make his intention to invade Someplace Else known and warriors and adventurers will flock to your banner as 'special event troops' (this is where those retinue-like additional troops you're noticing come from, Sankis; Ivar the Boneless, for example, starts in the middle of his prepared invasion).

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Coolodile posted:

Hey I bought Sunset Invasion because I wanted to play as an Aztec with TOG, except whenever they invade they just land a large army in Spain and nothing happens. They don't even declare war apparently, so this huge army just sits there.

The latest patch removed the ability for anyone other than Altaic and Magyar cultures to use that tribal invasion casus belli, so when the aztecs appear their scripted event war can't actually fire. So they sit there, forever. You can fix it by manually adding culture_group = mesoamerican to the tribal invasion CB listing in cbtypes.txt. Or just wait for the bugfix patch.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

iLurk posted:

Sadly yes. You need to have less then 40 holdings. Really annoyed me when I formed the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden and I couldn't invade Germany.

Stiiink! I haven't been under 40 since ol' White Shirt carved out half of England and was hacked down in battle.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

My Ivar the Boneless is TOO :black101: TO DIE.

87 years old. Still leads from the front. Conquers Scotland and 3/4ths of England and 4/5ths of Ireland and reforms the Norse Faith and moves his capital to London and keeps havin' kids.

Has anyone even had Ivar not live to at least 85? He's the best, almost always gets Berserker, and murders everyone.

ed.: Ivar start, if you rush for the Holy Sites, and reform, can lead to beautiful, beautiful things.

Kayten fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 30, 2013

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
How do I loot provinces?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SkySteak posted:

How do I loot provinces?

Select the unit and there should be an icon near their name to have them go into raiding mode.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
You also have to in a friendly province to activate it. It's kinda annoying when I go out to help the zorastrians beat back the Moon God Menace by sacking the surrounding muslims , but I forgot to activate it back home. Thats a long rear end trip back to the great and not at all petty Kingdom of Iceland.

Also I'm incoherently mad that they took the time to change the location of Reykjavik, but still left Iceland an ahistoric mess of an area. At least change the A/V border to a diagonal for fucks sake Paradox. At least that way it somewhat resembles one of the borders that divided up the island in the era.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I tested out adding:
allow_looting = yes
allow_rivermovement = yes

To the Sunni religion and guess what, it works!

Time for maximum UbikBarbary Pirates :getin:

(The Take Concubine thing seems to work as well, but not sure if it counts them as Secondary wives at the same time or if it just overrides that function)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You also need to have ships next to the province to actually get money from looting. It took me way too long to figure this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kayten posted:

Has anyone even had Ivar not live to at least 85? He's the best, almost always gets Berserker, and murders everyone.

After starting Jorvik and doing alright, watching AI Ivar just destroying all over the place I loaded up and tried him out. Died in battle twice in a row. I went back to White Shirt and after conquering most of England and Ireland he was cut down in a berserker rage at the rip old age of 69 and his already elderly son with 8 marshal took over the throne. He crushed 3 rebellions and 2 invasions from English Dukes, turned his army back to the Irish duke who killed his father and destroyed him, coming out the other side with the berserker trait and unyielding. All vassals are either in jail or in love due to crushed revolt bonus at this point. The Blot was amazing.

• Locked thread