Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

unprofessional posted:

Just for the record, it's not considered ethical to ever release the duck at this point, as it's been with domestic fowl and exposed to whatever pathogens they might have that wild populations don't; not saying you would, just putting it out there. Ignoring the biting and hissing - reward it when it stops doing it and relaxes. A reward to start with could be as simple as taking a step back or going away for a bit.

I don't agree that it being exposed to a chick for a short period of time would somehow make it unethical to turn the duck over to a wildlife rehab so it can be properly cared for and released. The wild life rehab isn't going to turn it down because it was near domestic birds, I'm sure wild ducks fly and land on farms that keep chickens and domestic ducks quite often. If they are concerned about it having some pathogens from the domestic birds they would know how to handle it.

I think it is more unethical to force a wild animal that has a high chance to be successfully re-introduced into the wild into a life of captivity away from any others of its own kind, especially considering how social the species is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've been trying to contact the local Audobon folks. They do rescue ducklings, but they don't have voicemail. I could probably bring him there.

He's eating out of my hand a little now - god bless meal worms, the Avian Crack. He still hisses (it's snorting, really, he does it through his nostrils). I let him swim around in a warm tub some earlier, and he enjoyed diving for meal worms. He's still mega-skittish, though.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Lynza posted:

Yesterday we went to get him duck feed (which is wild game bird feed for anyone interested) and all they had was a 50lb bag. :| So we have 50# of it now.

We have wild game feed for our future guinea fowl (ten days until we get them!) and we give it to our chicks as treats; they LOVE it. We ground it a bit finer when they were little using a mortar and pestle (it breaks up well) so they could eat it more easily, but now that they're 5 weeks they have been handling the full size crumbles for a while. We'd hand feed it to them, and now they run to our hands even if they're empty.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Well, we've decided to take him to the Audubon Society today. He's still striking anything that comes near him, so there's no way I'm putting him in with the chicks. He's so much bigger than they are that he'd hurt them.

But now we have 50# of duck feed for when we eventually get ducks, probably next year.

Thanks for all the help and insight, guys. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Lynza posted:

Well, we've decided to take him to the Audubon Society today. He's still striking anything that comes near him, so there's no way I'm putting him in with the chicks. He's so much bigger than they are that he'd hurt them.

But now we have 50# of duck feed for when we eventually get ducks, probably next year.

Thanks for all the help and insight, guys. :)

It'll likely not be too good or fresh by then, maybe donate it to the duck rehabber? :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

Do all ducklings strike at things near them? Or is it just wild ducklings? Or do they do it if they are just freaked out? I wonder if the duckling was doing it because it was distressed that it was the only duck there and it lost its family?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
For actual chicken news, the two new chicks are doing great. Following VS's suggestion, I got one of the big tubs I use to move them around (or keep them in when I clean their tank) and made a temporary spot on my desk for them. They had a big time, just running around. I keep a container of mealworms handy and talk to them. They are pretty much already good about coming to The Hand now. My husband likes training them to hop up on his one hand and eat from his other hand, so I suppose they'll be doing that, too.

They're Martha (the brown one) and Violet (yellow). I named them after the two cat ladies down the road who were like my grandmas when I was growing up. They had chickens and gave us free eggs. Super awesome ladies.

Lynza fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 26, 2013

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Inveigle -

It's possible! I didn't get to go in to the care center at the Audubon Society (no parking, it was full of families, super cool). But the people who took The Ducke in said that ducks aren't as much like some other birds in that they have a strong pecking order or a hatred of outsider ducks (other birds, definitely). So when they put the little guy in with the other ducklings, they all just join ranks and it's like one big family. :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Lynza posted:

For actual chicken news, the two new chicks are doing great. Following VS's suggestion, I got one of the big tubs I use to move them around (or keep them in when I clean their tank) and made a temporary spot on my desk for them. They had a big time, just running around. I keep a container of mealworms handy and talk to them. They are pretty much already good about coming to The Hand now. My husband likes training them to hop up on his one hand and eat from his other hand, so I suppose they'll be doing that, too.

They're Martha (the brown one) and Violet (yellow). I named them after the two cat ladies down the road who were like my grandmas when I was growing up. They had chickens and gave us free eggs. Super awesome ladies.

Such cuties! :)

One thing tho--ditch the birdseed cake until they are about 6-8 weeks old. Chicks this young cannot digest seed like that and need chick starter for their first weeks. That IS chick starter in the feeder, right? :ohdear:

Also I think you confused me with someone else, I don't recall saying anything about putting them in a tub & putting them on your desk...?

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 27, 2013

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
I threw my hat at birds until I caught one because I wanted a bird like this thread but I felt bad and let it go

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Adorable! Are these Easter Eggers? Are you going to leave your cam on?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yes, they're easter eggers!

They ignore the cake - I put it in there to see if they were interested, and they're not. But I'm used to it - most of the things the big girls like now they had zero interest in.

Mealworms, though. Chicken crack indeed. And yes, they're on chick starter.

The local feed place had a pretty fantastic selection (according to their list) including Jersey Giants and the Transylvanian ... neck ones, whatever they're called. It was so late in the season though, all they had left were sexlinks and Ameraucanas, so we got the 'canas because we already have two sexlinks. Also, green/blue eggs are totally sweet.

My husband was giving them worms last night and said, "How come these chicks are so much cuter than the last batch?" :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Just candled the eggs, Weedcat is gonna be a daddy! :parrot:

I saw definite dark masses and veining within some of the eggs, others look clear but since it's only been 9 days I'm not removing any eggs from the incubator yet just in case. I'll candle again at day 14, on that day I'll be able to tell for sure which as duds and which are viable. We have had severl episodes of low and high temps--up to 102 and down to 97 degrees during this incubation. I worry more about the too-high temps than I do about the low ones. If it continues I'll have to contact ReptiPro about a replacement incubator.

But right now we're go for hatch #2 on or about June 7th! :v:

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
Chicks! I have them :D
I got fertile eggs to put under my broody hen, and she hatched out three of them. Today she had them out of the nest for the first time, and was teaching them important chicken skills, like scratching and pecking. She also fed them a piece of tomato. Watching a mama hen with her chicks is seriously the cutest thing ever, because they are so intense about it.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

WrathofKhan posted:

I got fertile eggs to put under my broody hen, and she hatched out three of them. Today she had them out of the nest for the first time, and was teaching them important chicken skills, like scratching and pecking. She also fed them a piece of tomato. Watching a mama hen with her chicks is seriously the cutest thing ever, because they are so intense about it.

What kind of chicks did you get? Let's see photos of them with broody mom. :)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

WrathofKhan posted:

Pics or it didn't happen. You know the rules!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Man, I wanna get another bigass rooster but I started thinking that maybe I should look for a smaller breed. Roo gave me so much trouble being a horndog and favoring the smallest hens that it became a pain to deal with loved induced injuries. I don't know what breed I should get, I want a rooster just like Roo, tame and easy to handle :(.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Maybe a Cochin? They're pretty swole and friendly.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Cochins are pretty big too, almost as big as brahmas. If I didn't have two small hens (I'm pretty sure Megatron and Turkey are bantam mixes), then I'd got for a giant fluffball with no problems, but my brother-in-law would also prefer a smaller rooster to minimize injuries due to horny giant cocks.

I've been considering Plymouth Rocks and EEs. I'll have to ask the guy at the feed store if he gets EE roosters often, it's be nice to get an EE rooster as they look really cute with such beards. I believe VS's former head Roo, Phoenix, was an araucana/ barred rock mix, and he was gorgeous. I took this picture of him when I went to VS's house to pick up Roostroyer. Phoenix had a funny looking comb, but his coloring was so pretty!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Who is that standing next to Phoenix? Whoever it is, they're really pretty!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Inveigle posted:

Who is that standing next to Phoenix? Whoever it is, they're really pretty!

I think that was Millie, who passed away last year I think?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

A Bantam Cochin roo would be the best of both worlds then. Tame, fluffy, and sweet but not too big. They come in so many colors too. I am kind of biased though since the best rooster I ever had was a Partridge Bantam Cochin. He was eaten by a dog a year ago and every time my mean-rear end Sex-link Rooster attacks me I miss him.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Disco Nixon posted:

A Bantam Cochin roo would be the best of both worlds then. Tame, fluffy, and sweet but not too big. They come in so many colors too. I am kind of biased though since the best rooster I ever had was a Partridge Bantam Cochin. He was eaten by a dog a year ago and every time my mean-rear end Sex-link Rooster attacks me I miss him.

That is my second thought.

BAHGAWD HE'S COMIN' RIGHT FER US

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

... ok, I need to figure out where to get a bantam cochin or brahma rooster if my feed store never gets one. Bantams are so cute :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6HkOxlVt5c

I also need to start keeping record of Pancake's behavior. drat pullet is just as lazy as Roostroyer was, and I've seen her lay down on top of the scratch so many times because OMG eating is so tiring!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How about a tiny tiny sebright? :swoon:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

How about a tiny tiny sebright? :swoon:

It looks like it likes to fly over fences a lot :ohdear:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Chido posted:

It looks like it likes to fly over fences a lot :ohdear:

Chido - you're in LA, correct?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/3828943642.html
Free silkie/bantam cochin roo.

(got tired of looking for Apts in Pittsburgh)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

AcetylCoA! posted:

Chido - you're in LA, correct?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/3828943642.html
Free silkie/bantam cochin roo.

Very cute roo! Sounds like he had a nice owner too, who just wants to find him a good home.

Below: image from Imgur/reddit. A golden Sebright mama and chick. It's so cute when chicks do this. :3:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 28, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Man, they don't stay very cute and fluffy for long, do they?

Brooder cleaning day, it's kind of funny putting them in an unused litterbox and seeing their heads peeking over the dip in the front, watching you as you scrape out their box.

Some pics of the setup - apparently if your husband has a bunch of scrap lumber lying around and you tell him you need a wooden box for some chicks he goes a little overboard.

We also put a little "training bar" for them to practice roosting on like the fat hens they will become, two of them have the knack of it already. I think we'll have to make it long enough for all four to fit on soon.

Edit: Almost forgot the coop in progress, foundation finally laid and freshly painted a very bright red!

Just needs a run, a roof and a few bags of sand and we're good to go!

Lyz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 28, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido, I can't recommend Americaunas roos enough. From now till summer look around, check feed stores, Craigslist, etc. since people will be looking to rehome extra roos from Spring. Phoenix was an Americaunas/Barred Rock mix, both his parents were huge sweeties. An Americaunas would have the big cuddley factor and cute face, plus a quiet, friendly disposition, but still not be so big he'd hurt the smaller hens. Phoenix was excellent to his hens and my daughter, she grew up with him. His color is called 'Red Blue Wheaten'.

Here he is with his mother, Louise:

Phoenix was in a perpetual battle with his Barred Rock (upright) and Americaunas (just kinda lays on their head) comb combo.

Hee hee hee....

But he eventually got it together at around age 3.

Of course my offer stands that you can have a roo from my hatch(es) if you want. :)

VVVV OMG I HAVE A NEW PROJECT.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 29, 2013

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Holy WOW those Golden Sebrights are gorgeous! As my husband says, though, "Too bad about the egg laying."

Also, which one of you did this?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chido, I can't recommend Americaunas roos enough. From now till summer look around, check feed stores, Craigslist, etc. since people will be looking to rehome extra roos from Spring. Phoenix was an Americaunas/Barred Rock mix, both his parents were huge sweeties. An Americaunas would have the big cuddley factor and cute face, plus a quiet, friendly disposition, but still not be so big he'd hurt the smaller hens. Phoenix was excellent to his hens and my daughter, she grew up with him. His color is called 'Red Blue Wheaten'.

Here he is with his mother, Louise:

Phoenix was in a perpetual battle with his Barred Rock (upright) and Americaunas (just kinda lays on their head) comb combo.

Hee hee hee....

But he eventually got it together at around age 3.

Of course my offer stands that you can have a roo from my hatch(es) if you want. :)

VVVV OMG I HAVE A NEW PROJECT.

I'll wait on the rooster to see how big the chicks get by the time you want to adopt them out :). If they all seem to be really big (as in Roostroyer big at 2-3 months), then I'll check the feed store :D. I'd love to get another fat cock :smug: but I'm kinda weary of having to deal with big gaping love wounds on the small hens :psyduck:

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
I'd second the suggestion of getting a Ameraucana rooster-so, so handsome and they are usually really nice, gentlemanly roos. I had a EE roo, named Jayne (when I got him, we thought he was a Wheaten Ameraucana, later worked out that he was a Ameraucana/Salmon Favarolle cross), who was a really sweet boy, always looking for treats for the girls and although he wasn't a little, teeny cock, he didn't hurt Inara (Blue Andalusian, weighs about 4 pounds) at all.

I'll try to get pictures posted of my broody and her babies. And of my *other* broody sitting on the nest, due to hatch on the 18th of June. This one is on eight eggs that are either Swedish Flower Hens or Swedish Flower/Sliver Laced Brahma crosses, depending on which roo was doing the job.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I'll keep an eye for an EE rooster then. I would've loved to have a phoenix's boy, he was so pretty :3:. I hope my fee store gets them soon.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

I'll keep an eye for an EE rooster then. I would've loved to have a phoenix's boy, he was so pretty :3:. I hope my fee store gets them soon.

Just so you know, EE (Easter Eggers) are not the same as Americaunas. EE hens lay green eggs, but don't have the fluffy faces. Bear, my one EE hen is a tough cookie and isn't as mellow or sweet as the Americaunas are.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Just so you know, EE (Easter Eggers) are not the same as Americaunas. EE hens lay green eggs, but don't have the fluffy faces. Bear, my one EE hen is a tough cookie and isn't as mellow or sweet as the Americaunas are.

So that means Waffle is an ameraucana? she has a fluffy face but lays greenish eggs.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
I'm going to have to disagree, there. An Ameraucana is a specific breed, and any chicken who has the gene for green/blue eggs, and doesn't fit the standard for Ameraucanas is an Easter Egger. So there really isn't any way to say what a Easter Egger does or doesn't look like, and a lot of them do have beards and muffs.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

All 5 of the Easter egger hens I got from Cackle hatchery have fluffy faces. And the the I kept all lay green or blue eggs.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The differences between EE and Americaunas are confusing, to be sure. The American Poultry Association defines them here:
http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter%20Eggers%20vs.pdf

A good article here with pics:
http://www.grit.com/the-chicken-chick/araucana-ameraucana-or-easter-egger-olive-egger-rainbow-layer-whats-the-difference.aspx#axzz2UnMDE578

It's all about meeting APA standards, breeding true, etc. A lot of EEs may look like a duck, walk like a duck and quack like a duck, but still not officially be a duck. :) In talking to other breeders and reading, I've generally found that muffs + beards + willow leg + correct eye/beak color = Americaunas, without them they usually are EEs. There is also a personality difference I've found, but you'd have to know the specific bird to know that. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

I think the line between EEs and Americaunas is becoming more and more blurred. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Chido posted:

You wouldn't happen to be in NC would you? I have a friend who has a 3-4 month Americauna rooster she's looking to rehouse (can't have roosters in downtown Durham). He's pretty gorgeous, mostly white.