Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
There's probably a fee associated with closing early (most bank have those anyway)and they may require a certain number of bill pays/time frame of activity before they hand it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Robin Sparkles posted:

Has anyone opened a bank account just to get a free gift before? One of my local banks is offering a free tablet if you fulfill two of three steps by August 30th, which I can easily do. (bill payment and direct debit) The monthly fee is $14.99, so I'd have to pay this once. Would I really get a tablet for $15? Is there any catch I can't see, such as a minimum time to keep the account open?

Huntersoninski posted:

There's probably a fee associated with closing early (most bank have those anyway)and they may require a certain number of bill pays/time frame of activity before they hand it over.

There usually is a time requirement. Capital One bank had a $200 bonus if you opened an account and had a direct deposit, but you had to keep it open for 6 months. There may have also been a minimum balance.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Robin Sparkles posted:

Has anyone opened a bank account just to get a free gift before? One of my local banks is offering a free tablet if you fulfill two of three steps by August 30th, which I can easily do. (bill payment and direct debit) The monthly fee is $14.99, so I'd have to pay this once. Would I really get a tablet for $15? Is there any catch I can't see, such as a minimum time to keep the account open?
Since you said "tablet" and not "iPad" or any other notable name it's probably a cheap piece of garbage and isn't worth the trouble anyway.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Baron Bifford posted:

The medieval definition of "outlaw" was someone who was declared outside the protection of the law - ie fair game for any lynch mob. In westerns, criminals are commonly called "outlaws", but how can they be outlaws by the classic definition? I thought the constitution guaranteed that everyone has certain rights that can never be stripped.

People have already addressed the linguistics aspects of your question, but just to expand a bit on the constitutional question, during much of the period in which westerns took place, the constitution had very little impact on average peoples daily lives. Until the adoption of the 14th amendment those certain rights could never be stripped by the federa government. State governments could do what they wished. Even now, with the exception of the 13th amendment (can't have slaves anymore), the individual rights guarantees of the constitution are binding on state actors only. It does not protect you from a lynch mob (unless they're all wearing blue and carry the same battons).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Robin Sparkles posted:

Are you sure they require "direct debit" and not "direct deposit?"

Because setting up direct deposit twice in one month is going to annoy your HR person.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Noni posted:

Just a guess, but it looks like it's meant to allow someone to inspect the undersides of vehicles.

But that wouldn't explain the rails. Do you have a better location? The most likely explanation is that there used to be a stream, but they directed it into a culvert and built a flat road over it.

Looks like this si the closest answer, it seems to be for checking out the underside of your vehicle and checking your brakes. From a Russian website, translated by Google:

quote:

"Place of inspection of cars."
This combination of signs is intended to inform the driver that the parking brake on a site or recreation is provided or overpass, or a pit. The driver can even use them as a preventive measure. Agree, when driving long distances foresight is not superfluous.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ron Don Volante posted:

I'm about to get start getting a lot of large packages daily through USPS and I feel like kind of a dick making the postman deliver everything to the front door. Is there any way to tell the post office to keep the packages there so that I can come pick them up later?

You can have the packages sent to "General Delivery" instead of your actual street address, it'll be held at the main post office in your area for 30 days. https://www.usps.com/manage/forward-mail.htm. If this is a long term thing though it is probably best to get a PO Box or something.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Robin Sparkles posted:

I can't speak to your local bank, but years ago KeyBank was offering a free iPod nano to anyone who opened a checking account with at least $100 in it. I opened the account, got my iPod, and closed the account as soon as was specified I could in the offer details (maybe a month?). Many people I know did the same. Never had any problems, and to this day that nano is the only Apple product I own. It was totally worth it.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

On Sunday someone slammed into my car and his front bumper caved in but the spare tire on the back of my SUV spared my car from any damage. We exchanged information and he said he was going to call triple A and let them fix his car and let them know about what happen so they can contact me to see if they can do anything for me.

1) Should I contact my insurance company to report this accident? I figured since I received no damage I wouldn't have to go through the troubles of contacting my insurance company.

2) There is nothing stopping that guy from saying he slammed into a tree. Should I be worried about anything?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

On Sunday someone slammed into my car and his front bumper caved in but the spare tire on the back of my SUV spared my car from any damage. We exchanged information and he said he was going to call triple A and let them fix his car and let them know about what happen so they can contact me to see if they can do anything for me.

1) Should I contact my insurance company to report this accident? I figured since I received no damage I wouldn't have to go through the troubles of contacting my insurance company.

2) There is nothing stopping that guy from saying he slammed into a tree. Should I be worried about anything?
If you're not injured and there's no damage, you're probably fine.

The guy could claim that you hit him or something, but if the impact was with the rear of your car, it's a long shot. How hosed was the guy's car? He may not even be planning to report it, to keep his rates down.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Vocabulary questions! I thought I was up to speed on most of the basics of watches, but there are specific areas I'm not sure about.

This one has a stainless steel case and band, but what is the name for this style of band, a clasp?
The white area with Guess on it and the numbers, is this the face or the dial?
The three smaller rings, are they dials?
What is the name of the black ring around the edge with numbers on it? Is it called the same thing when there are diamonds or other jewels there?
What do you call the 3 things that stick out on the side? Are they knobs? Dials? Twisty thingys?

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

I just called, and they said to cancel either with in 14 days or after 90 and it is free to close the account, or I'd have to pay a $15 charge. So that's basically one month of the fees anyway, so I could cancel within the 90 days and still be paying $30 for a tablet.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Since you said "tablet" and not "iPad" or any other notable name it's probably a cheap piece of garbage and isn't worth the trouble anyway.

It's for TD Bank in Canada, here is the link to the account information, the tablet they are offering is "The latest Samsung Tab."

Thanatosian posted:

Are you sure they require "direct debit" and not "direct deposit?"

Because setting up direct deposit twice in one month is going to annoy your HR person.

They have three things you can do, of which you need to fulfill two, direct deposit, direct debit, and bill payment. I do not want to do direct deposit for that exact reason, the other two I can complete easily (internet and cell phone payments.)3

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

greazeball posted:

Vocabulary questions! I thought I was up to speed on most of the basics of watches, but there are specific areas I'm not sure about.

This one has a stainless steel case and band, but what is the name for this style of band, a clasp?
The white area with Guess on it and the numbers, is this the face or the dial?
The three smaller rings, are they dials?
What is the name of the black ring around the edge with numbers on it? Is it called the same thing when there are diamonds or other jewels there?
What do you call the 3 things that stick out on the side? Are they knobs? Dials? Twisty thingys?

Fair warning I'm not a watch professional.

A handy watch diagram. A glossary.

1 not entirely sure. The general term is bracelet or strap.
2 The dial is the part with the numbers.
3 Those are sub-dials
4 As far as I can tell that's called a bevel.
5 those are called crowns.

You might try asking in YLLS Watch thread too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Robin Sparkles posted:

I just called, and they said to cancel either with in 14 days or after 90 and it is free to close the account, or I'd have to pay a $15 charge. So that's basically one month of the fees anyway, so I could cancel within the 90 days and still be paying $30 for a tablet.

It's for TD Bank in Canada, here is the link to the account information, the tablet they are offering is "The latest Samsung Tab."
By "latest" they mean the version that's over a year old; the replacement comes out in a month or two. It had poor specs when it came out and time hasn't helped that any. I wouldn't consider it worth the time and effort spent messing with the bank, much less $30 on top of that, but hey, do what you want.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

By "latest" they mean the version that's over a year old; the replacement comes out in a month or two. It had poor specs when it came out and time hasn't helped that any. I wouldn't consider it worth the time and effort spent messing with the bank, much less $30 on top of that, but hey, do what you want.

Ah, there it is, the dealbreaker. It's really not worth that much effort to me, when I could save up and get a much better one. Thanks everyone for your help and opinions!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wedemeyer posted:

It's bezel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Depends what your time is worth. See what people are paying for one of those, see what you could make for essentially 1hr of your time, contribute that to your savings.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Depends what your time is worth. See what people are paying for one of those, see what you could make for essentially 1hr of your time, contribute that to your savings.

Actually I just looked in the fine print and it says "The latest Samsung Galaxy Tab is as of July 2013." Could that mean the newest one being released?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Robin Sparkles posted:

Actually I just looked in the fine print and it says "The latest Samsung Galaxy Tab is as of July 2013." Could that mean the newest one being released?
The one in the picture is from April of last year, but who knows? The new one has a physical button on the front. They both have the same crappy 1024x600 screen.
2012 version
2013 version

The former seem to be going for $100-150 on eBay if you planned on selling it.

disclaimer: this avatar was given to me by someone who deemed me overly-critical of Samsung

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Wedemeyer posted:

Fair warning I'm not a watch professional.

A handy watch diagram. A glossary.

1 not entirely sure. The general term is bracelet or strap.
2 The dial is the part with the numbers.
3 Those are sub-dials
5 those are called crowns.

You might try asking in YLLS Watch thread too.

stubblyhead posted:

It's bezel.

Awesome, thanks!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I recently installed Helvetica on my computer and now a bunch of websites are appearing in that font instead of their usual font. Is this normal behavior? It kinda makes everything look lovely.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
When people say "my body" and then "my brain" in the same train of thought/discussion, what is the "me"?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I recently installed Helvetica on my computer and now a bunch of websites are appearing in that font instead of their usual font. Is this normal behavior? It kinda makes everything look lovely.

Yes, when designing a website you design them with a font in mind and then also supply "fallback" fonts if the vistor's browser or OS doesn't support them. If the browser does not support the first font, it tries the next font. Something like this

code:
p{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif}
The designer built the site with Helvetica in mind, but because your computer did not support the font it defaulted to Arial. How the site looks now is how it's supposed to look.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 29, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Narciss posted:

When people say "my body" and then "my brain" in the same train of thought/discussion, what is the "me"?

That's some ship of theseus poo poo you've got there which in no way can get properly answered in a forums post.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

I have a giant glass top conference table in my office that needs to be cleaned under the glass. Where do I find someone to do this? Our normal cleaners won't because of the liability of breaking the glass and the places who install glass for conference tables somehow have no one they recommend.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

FCKGW posted:

The designer built the site with Helvetica in mind, but because your computer did not support the font it defaulted to Arial. How the site looks now is how it's supposed to look.

Unless you've installed a lovely pirate copy of Helvetica that doesn't include the correct OTF hinting, additional weights etc. Then it will look like you'd expect.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

This is something I've always wondered even though I'm sure there's a good answer:

Is it extremely common for criminals with access to put dealer plates on their cars before doing a pre-planned crime like a bank robbery?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Get your car inspected by his insurance. There may be damage you can't see. Worst case you take the money and cash out.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This is something I've always wondered even though I'm sure there's a good answer:

Is it extremely common for criminals with access to put dealer plates on their cars before doing a pre-planned crime like a bank robbery?

How common could it possibly be for bank robbers to own car dealerships? In any case, dealer plates are traceable back to the dealership, so they wouldn't be hiding too much. Is there something I'm missing in this question?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Stealing a plate from a same-model similar year car (bonus if you put *any* plate in its place so the owner doesn't notice for a while) seems a lot easier. I've heard this for years, its been in a Steven king book and a cop talked to me last year when my wife's plate was stolen (minus a stolen replacement plate) about the same thing.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 30, 2013

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Do you mean paper tags, or Dealer plates?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

Stealing a plate from a same-model similar year car (bonus if you put another plate in its place so the owner doesn't notice for a while) seems a lot easier. I've heard this for years, its been in a Steven king book and a cop talked to me last year when my wife's plate was stolen (minus a stolen replacement plate) about the same thing.

I think the book in question was Desperation and you were lucky the cop wasn't Collie Entragian. :eng101:

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Bovril Delight posted:

Get your car inspected by his insurance. There may be damage you can't see.

Definitely do this. If the accident ended up knocking something loose that you can't see, the problem could take months to show up. And when it does, he's completely off the hook since there's no way to prove that his hitting you was the cause and not something between the accident and the breaking.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Dealer plates are equally traceable and harder to come by. The only thing that's easier about them is you don't have to use a screwdriver. I used to have a job that required me to use dealer plates every day. Those things were IMMEDIATELY inventoried at every step--and it was a pretty lax workplace generally. If one had ever been lost, the bosses would know when, where, and have the names of both people responsible in writing.

Anyway, it's easy to steal a plate, and about as easy at that to boost most cars.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vegetable posted:

You should check the default font settings in your browser. If a web page tells your browser to display text in "sans-serif" then your browser will just a pick a sans-serif font to use, and you can often choose which one that will be.

Narciss posted:

Their self-identity. People don't think of themselves (or others) as simply a collection of pieces, we feel like there is some intangible core, an inner self. When you wake up in the morning, how do you know you're still you? If you went through a Star Trek transporter and were broken down into your component atoms and reassembled, would you still be you? If you suffered a brain injury that changed your personality, would you still be you then? The truth is, this self that we believe continues to exist isn't real. You're a slightly different person than you were yesterday and a very different person than you were ten years ago. You only feel like you're the same person.

Or it's the soul. Whichever you prefer.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Seriously, how crazy is it for people to have meow conversations with their cat? I understand people do babble towards animals and it can be funny sometimes but when someone is actually saying 'meow' to a cat multiple times on a daily basis, does that make them crazy?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Narciss posted:

Software running on meat.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Seriously, how crazy is it for people to have meow conversations with their cat? I understand people do babble towards animals and it can be funny sometimes but when someone is actually saying 'meow' to a cat multiple times on a daily basis, does that make them crazy?

I guess it depends on if they actually seem to be trying to converse with their cat. I meow at my cat multiple times a day, but it's usually 'cause she meows first, and I'm pretty much just mocking her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Kurt_Cobain posted:

To you, nucking futs.

To a pet owner/lover, not at all.