Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Dogfish Head's 120-minute IPA is the one that tastes like a war crime in a bottle, right? Because I'm getting major notes of band-aid and popcorn butter from this 90-minute.

How old is the 90 minute? I've found that any of it with more than a month or two on it just falls right off and it's not exactly an outstanding IPA when it's fresh, either.

Someone posted that they popped a Fantastic Voyage that was infected, which is a drat shame because I had it on tap when it was released this year and it was loving phenomenal.

Oh and we finally got Boulevard in Richmond, VA. Right now I'm sipping a Boulevard Tank 7. Pretty loving stellar example of a saison. I also picked up some 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat today after having a taste earlier. Grilling some brats in that, should be pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Dogfish Head's 120-minute IPA is the one that tastes like a war crime in a bottle, right? Because I'm getting major notes of band-aid and popcorn butter from this 90-minute.

Depending on which war, yes. I've never had a 90 minute with quite that flavor profile. What does a band-aid taste like?

Just picked up some On the Wings of Armageddon from DC Brau in a trade and :drat: this is good! It reminds me a lot of Heady Topper and is just as good if not better.

Chicago Area Goons
Let's make this bottle share a reality. I've got a google doc spreadsheet up so head over there and fill in your username and location and we'll hammer out some dates and locations.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajt8IPnSCBHHdDBRaUg0clJ4Z1NUZTJsTTA0ZGhHNmc&usp=sharing

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
Well, hit Spec's while I was running errands. Didn't have much time today but I did pickup these three which I've never had.

Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's, I love banana bread and could not pass this up.
Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA - Belhaven Brewery. I love all things Belhaven and this is the first time I've seen this in a local store.
St. Peter's Organic English Ale - St. Peter's Brewer, St. Peter's brews some great ales and hopefully this one will live up to what I've come to expect from them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That banana bread beer is the most foul beer to have ever passed my lips. I too love banana bread and thought it would be a perfect beer for me. Only took one sip to have this horrible, chemically, fake cinnamon taste linger in the back of my throat for hours afterwards.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

Sirotan posted:

That banana bread beer is the most foul beer to have ever passed my lips. I too love banana bread and thought it would be a perfect beer for me. Only took one sip to have this horrible, chemically, fake cinnamon taste linger in the back of my throat for hours afterwards.

I cracked it open a few minutes before I posted and this one isn't bad. Granted my wifes banana bread is actually better, but it isn't bad. I practically had to hide it after I started drinking it cause everyone in the house kept stealing sips.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Mother's Doozy DIPA is drinking really smooth. Lots of hop bitterness with absolutely no other hop profiles, but that's okay. It's a one-note single-hop beer with a nice roasty caramel malt finish. Not a bad way to spend a baseball game.
I really thought Citra hops would impart some sort of citrus flavor, though. What a misleading name.
Also got 4 bottles of Stone RIS for $6 each today. Nice score there!

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 30, 2013

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

St. Peters is my favorite "dark horse" UK brand that's distributed to a lot of the US.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I had a Lips of Faith Cascara Quad earlier, and it was AWFUL. The bottle says it was brewed with dates and coffee cherries, but I tasted neither of these. It tasted like hot fusel alcohol, and band-aids. I drank about 4 oz before I had to drain pour the entire bomber, and I can't decide if it is responsible for my current headache. Horrible.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Someone posted that they popped a Fantastic Voyage that was infected, which is a drat shame because I had it on tap when it was released this year and it was loving phenomenal.

Oh and we finally got Boulevard in Richmond, VA. Right now I'm sipping a Boulevard Tank 7. Pretty loving stellar example of a saison. I also picked up some 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat today after having a taste earlier. Grilling some brats in that, should be pretty amazing.

that was me. i didn't actually dump it, so i took a sip today with a fresh palate (i had been drinking BCBCS the other night before FV) and yeah, it's definitely hosed. boo hiss.

Tank 7 is amazing, and apparently Mekong is gonna have bottles of Saison Brett for whatever "grand opening" party they're having, so most definitely check that out if possible (don't think anybody else is getting any this go-round).

Sirotan posted:

U.S. Barryl posted:

I had a Lips of Faith Cascara Quad earlier, and it was AWFUL. The bottle says it was brewed with dates and coffee cherries, but I tasted neither of these. It tasted like hot fusel alcohol, and band-aids. I drank about 4 oz before I had to drain pour the entire bomber, and I can't decide if it is responsible for my current headache. Horrible.

fortunately i didn't buy a bottle of either of these, but i thought they were both loving terrible. drank a goon-provided Arcadia BA IS this evening and that was pretty good, though- toffee for days on that poo poo.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Sirotan posted:

Gotta disagree with this. The bottle I had really came together.

U.S. Barryl posted:

Disagreeing with this as well.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

So here's a thing I found. http://literatureandlibation.com/2013/05/23/the-10-types-of-craft-beer-drinkers/
I'm probably a #9. Why are none of them a positive thing? I'd mostly consider myself a "Vagabond", trying different things, but when I can't find something new I have a list of solid standbys in each style category that I'll rotate through. Anyway, what are you?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

BriceFxP posted:

Well, hit Spec's while I was running errands. Didn't have much time today but I did pickup these three which I've never had.

Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's, I love banana bread and could not pass this up.
Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA - Belhaven Brewery. I love all things Belhaven and this is the first time I've seen this in a local store.
St. Peter's Organic English Ale - St. Peter's Brewer, St. Peter's brews some great ales and hopefully this one will live up to what I've come to expect from them.

Twisted Thistle was one of my favorites when I first got into craft beer. It's pretty good! I'd be a bit wary though because it might have sat on the shelf forever.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

Chicago Area Goons
Let's make this bottle share a reality. I've got a google doc spreadsheet up so head over there and fill in your username and location and we'll hammer out some dates and locations.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajt8IPnSCBHHdDBRaUg0clJ4Z1NUZTJsTTA0ZGhHNmc&usp=sharing

Added myself to the spreadsheet.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Captain Shortbus posted:

Mother's Doozy DIPA is drinking really smooth. Lots of hop bitterness with absolutely no other hop profiles, but that's okay. It's a one-note single-hop beer with a nice roasty caramel malt finish. Not a bad way to spend a baseball game.
I really thought Citra hops would impart some sort of citrus flavor, though. What a misleading name.
Also got 4 bottles of Stone RIS for $6 each today. Nice score there!

Citra hops are known to impart mango, papaya, and pineapple, among other flavors and aromas. They're one of the most commonly used hops in any "tropical" ipa.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LeafHouse posted:

Twisted Thistle was one of my favorites when I first got into craft beer. It's pretty good! I'd be a bit wary though because it might have sat on the shelf forever.

Also: clear glass bottles + import frequently = death.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Captain Shortbus posted:

So here's a thing I found. http://literatureandlibation.com/2013/05/23/the-10-types-of-craft-beer-drinkers/
I'm probably a #9. Why are none of them a positive thing? I'd mostly consider myself a "Vagabond", trying different things, but when I can't find something new I have a list of solid standbys in each style category that I'll rotate through. Anyway, what are you?

Haha, that is funny. Hang around enough breweries and those are all pretty spot on. I think if I were to be any one of them it would be the Flavor Finder, but I'm working on it. I think if I were going to add one to really describe me it would be something like the ADDrinker, as in, I tend to not drink the same thing twice.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

that was me. i didn't actually dump it, so i took a sip today with a fresh palate (i had been drinking BCBCS the other night before FV) and yeah, it's definitely hosed. boo hiss.

I had it on tap very shortly after they first released it and I was unimpressed. It wasn't "hosed" but it wasn't worth hunting either.

For whatever reason, I'm rooting for Perennial to really wow me one day but it hasn't happened. I think Abraxas is nice. The BA'd version is getting some ridiculous hype even though I thought it tasted like they just dumped cinnamon into a barrel of Huna. Aria wasn't anything to write home about... I have a bottle of 17 chilling for likely tomorrow. Maybe this is the winner?

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
I'm working on the Thistle now, it's very good. The bottled date the bottle was 03/2013, otherwise I would not have gotten it. It's very mellow, lightly fruity and dry.

Very good, just what I expect from Belhaven.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Midorka posted:

Citra hops are known to impart mango, papaya, and pineapple, among other flavors and aromas. They're one of the most commonly used hops in any "tropical" ipa.

#6 spotted. Seriously, though, I'm not getting any of that. Maybe they over hopped it with the citra. It's hopped at every stage... :shrug:

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 30, 2013

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

crazyfish posted:

Added myself to the spreadsheet

#4, #1, and a healthy dose of #8, especially around here. Sometimes y'all are embarrassing.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm drinking this for the first time; I am just so happy right now. It's the first sour beer I have ever tasted.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

U.S. Barryl posted:

I've had this in bottle and on tap - you definitely got a bad bottle, but it isn't a particularly great quad or a particularly great Lips of Faith beer.

EDIT: I just dogged a beer and all, but I definitely fall between 4 & 5 on that list.

blue.eyed.ash fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 30, 2013

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
Unfortunately, none of the ones on that list really fit me. I'm somewhat of a combination of #1, #4 and #9. But I'm very anti-"big brew" when it comes to beers, especially the American stables.

Though of all beers I'm a real wheat lover, especially the unfiltered kind.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Today I dropped off a box of beer to FedEx, and right when I placed the package on the counter, the lady behind it asks "Is there any alcohol in this box?". Of course I replied no, but it was really weird. I'm not sure why that is the one thing she chose to ask, but it made me pretty paranoid. Either way, according to the tracking number it's on its way to MI.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

I had it on tap very shortly after they first released it and I was unimpressed. It wasn't "hosed" but it wasn't worth hunting either.

For whatever reason, I'm rooting for Perennial to really wow me one day but it hasn't happened. I think Abraxas is nice. The BA'd version is getting some ridiculous hype even though I thought it tasted like they just dumped cinnamon into a barrel of Huna. Aria wasn't anything to write home about... I have a bottle of 17 chilling for likely tomorrow. Maybe this is the winner?

yeah, my enthusiasm for Perennial has almost completely waned- i haven't really enjoyed any of their beers yet (including Abraxas), and at the price, it's a huge ask for me to buy more. i also have a 17 and if it isn't any good... gently caress 'em.

JackDarko posted:

I'm drinking this for the first time; I am just so happy right now. It's the first sour beer I have ever tasted.

hope you can get RR pretty easily, because you pretty much started at the top.

Kudosx posted:

Today I dropped off a box of beer to FedEx, and right when I placed the package on the counter, the lady behind it asks "Is there any alcohol in this box?". Of course I replied no, but it was really weird. I'm not sure why that is the one thing she chose to ask, but it made me pretty paranoid. Either way, according to the tracking number it's on its way to MI.

you think someone who works in shipping doesn't recognize a twelve-bottle styrofoam shipper (or any box containing liquid, for that matter)? believe me, it's quite obvious. i'm assuming she asked because she's supposed to if there's a reason to be suspicious, but unless they think you're doing something illegal (which you kind of are, but nothing truly heinous), they have no impetus to go through your box and find out. as i've said before, olive oil, hot sauce, sparkling cider, maple syrup, or some similar type of regional specialty are all good answers to the "what's in the box?" question.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Captain Shortbus posted:

#6 spotted. Seriously, though, I'm not getting any of that. Maybe they over hopped it with the citra. It's hopped at every stage... :shrug:

Terrapin did an all Citra beer and I got no tropical fruit from it. It did have kind of a cat pee smell to it though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

JackDarko posted:

Haha, that's a hell of a way to kick off sours.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Captain Shortbus posted:

Nah, not a number 6, though I do find it fun trying to figure out what I smell and taste. I mostly get mango from citra with some pineapple.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

#4, #1, and a healthy dose of #8, especially around here. Sometimes y'all are embarrassing.

I wouldn't say I'm a #4. You must have missed my rants about faro, Dogfish 120 (it was posted in the last page and I haven't piped up yet? I'm off my game!), or Finch's.

Yeah, I post a lot about Chicago locals, but I wouldn't call myself a "local till I die" kind of dude. There just happens to be a high representation of Chicago in this thread (only maybe half of whom I've actually met).

Can't fade #8 though. A week or so ago I went to the bar my friend works at and had Cuvee de Tomme (it's pretty tasty when it's carbonated!) and some Solemn Oath thing aged in chardonnay barrels, then walked over to my friend's birthday party where I bought a 40 of natty ice on the way.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm probably a mix of #3 and #8. It's been pretty rare for me to just straight up enjoy a beer lately because of the explosion of Texas craft over the last year, which is followed by rampant homerism whenever some unknown upstart brewer makes a mint chipotle weasel poop bacon IPA bourbon barrel aged with moon rocks. Also evidenced by me moving towards drinking stuff like Zoe or Apollo in a KISS type mentality.

My favorite bar (The Common Table) is having their 3rd anniversary next week. One big highlight is Parabola, Abyss, and KBS on at the same time :aaa: they'll also have Espresso IRS and Espresso Yeti. That'd be a fun comparison, but my palate would probably be destroyed by the first flight.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
My local store is having a barrel-aged draft event today, and I haven't tried any of these:

Great Divide Brewing Co.'s 19th Anniversary
Epic Brewing Company's Big Bad Baptist
Emelisse's Jack Daniels Aged Black & Tan
Mother Earth Brewery's Tripel Overhead
Harviestoun Brewery Ola Dubh 21

Anyone want to tell me what to drink? I'm leaning Ola Dubh or BBB, but BBB shows up here from time to time so it won't be my only chance and I'm not sure how uncommon OD is around here.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

The Bunk posted:

My local store is having a barrel-aged draft event today, and I haven't tried any of these:

Great Divide Brewing Co.'s 19th Anniversary
Epic Brewing Company's Big Bad Baptist
Emelisse's Jack Daniels Aged Black & Tan
Mother Earth Brewery's Tripel Overhead
Harviestoun Brewery Ola Dubh 21

Anyone want to tell me what to drink? I'm leaning Ola Dubh or BBB, but BBB shows up here from time to time so it won't be my only chance and I'm not sure how uncommon OD is around here.

Great Divide 19th is pretty good. Brewed with birch syrup and aged in birch barrels. Definitely a different taste to your usual oak aging. Would I take it over Ola Dubh? Probably not, but it's somewhat of a unique flavor so I'd at least try to snag a taste.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

It's been pretty rare for me to just straight up enjoy a beer lately because of the explosion of Texas craft over the last year, which is followed by rampant homerism whenever some unknown upstart brewer makes a mint chipotle weasel poop bacon IPA bourbon barrel aged with moon rocks.

Hey is the Texas Big Beer Company still around? :barf:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm a #1, within reason. I like to drink locally and I feel like there's a lot of legitimately great beer coming out of my city and state which I am happy to be a cheerleader for. But if a local place sucks I have zero problem acknowledging that and actively steering people away from them. In fact I do so publicly in my goonbrew wiki article, not that anyone reads that thing :unsmith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm somewhere between a 2 and an 8. I could live forever on SNPA, Edmund Fitz, and PBR.

If pressed I could probably be a 1 2 combo and subsist wholly on Edmund Fitz and Dortmunder Gold but that's probably because I get neither where I live now.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hey is the Texas Big Beer Company still around? :barf:

Yes they are, located in Buna, Texas. Depending on where you live you can find quite a few of their brews in bottle stores, Spec's for one I know carries them occasionally.

Their website texasbigbeer.com has a map based locater of where stuff is available.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
I'm not on that list, I guess... maybe a #4? It's beer. It's all good, man. Maybe there is a number for people who drink beer who are sick of internet lists? Every other day there's a new "Top (number) (craft-beer-related-things)" list. And they all suck. Seriously, just offer one of the BA top-posters $50 and he could probably put together something more nuanced that doesn't scream "OUR INTERN GOOGLED THIS BEER STUFF AND MADE THIS FOR YOU".

Exhibit A: Thrillist's "The 33 Best Craft Beers in a Can"
More like "look at these beer cans we found in a 20 minute google image search". Did they even drink any of them? I doubt it.

Exhibit B: American Craft Beer's "Serious Top 50"
I don't even know what the gently caress :psyduck:

Exhibit C: Gear Patrol's "10 Best Summer Craft Beers"
Heady Topper "scares away" all but the bad-assest IPA people? Admit it. You just skimmed the toplists on BeerAdvocate and went with it. Festina Peche is good, I like it, but literally zero of the self-proclaimed "beer" people I have talked to so far have agreed with me. Sly Fox Grisette is impossible to get.

Exhibit D: HuffPo's "Top Craft Breweries in America"
To be fair, you make it clear this is all about sales, but really, congratulations on parroting Brewer's Association figures for pageviews. Sorry, GirlKisser, your brewery is too small to make the cut. Come on, guys. Give us a better-researched article.

Exhibit E: USA Today's "Top 10 Best Craft Beer States"
What it really needs to say is "The Ten States with the Most Breweries That We Know gently caress-All About".

Exhibit F: Travel and Leisure's "America's Best Beer Cities"
The focus here is more "where to get drunk" than anything to do with good beer.

Exhibit G, Part 1: GQ's "The Best Beer Cities in America"
Come on, already. Jesus.

Exhibit G, Part 2: GQ's "10 Essential Beers" from Alan Richman
Yes, it's two years old, but it still reads like a dick-waving list of "LOOK WHAT I DRANK". Essential in the same way that a bottle of 2009 Pauillac Bordeaux is "essential".

Exhibit F: Men's Fitness "America's Top 10 Craft Breweries"
Oh look, another seemingly pointless list. And for the love of god, don't read their "6 Surprisingly Healthy Beers" article.

I wish people would stop sending me stupid loving fluff pieces just because they know I like beer. :shepicide:

FreelanceSocialist fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 30, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone needs to start an internet crusade against the listicle.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

DFH top 10 craft brewery.

Fat Tire and Wynkoop Rocky Mountain Oyster top 33 canned beers.

gently caress those are horrible articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone a member of the American Craft Brewers Association? I've been checking out some of those audio recordings from their annual conference someone linked a few pages back, and as someone thinking about getting into the industry (my dream is to start a craft beer bar) they've been super interesting and useful to check out.

Have you found membership/attending the conference a valuable experience?