Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I love that my school has no dress policy because I get to see some amazingly creative shirts worn by the local staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
On the casual days at my school many of the staff dress like they are going to the club. Low cut shirts, lot's of make-up, high heels, etc.

I guess it kind of makes sense because they spend so much time at work they don't really have a life so it's their only chance to get dressed up, but sometimes it's a bit eye brow raising.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

At my Hess branches, we can wear whatever shirts we want all the time. CT's have to wear the Hess shirts, we get to wear what we want. I think the only restriction is no shorts or sandals.

I usually just wear t-shirts and blue jeans.

The only time we have to wear the Hess shirt is the once or twice a semester when you have to do an open house for new students.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Ravendas, any chance I'll get to see you teach a class, or is that only for the big training groups?

It looks like there might only be around 10 people in this off-season May training judging by one of the million pdf files I was sent. It's pretty weird being hired on this short of notice...I was happy to find a flight under $1000 getting me out of nowhere Montana all the way to Taipei (no Tokyo layover wooo!) booking it only a few days in advance. I become a foreigner at 5am on the 19th, when I am expecting the stretch Hess limo to take me to my 5-star accommodations. :clint:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

lokk posted:

Ravendas, any chance I'll get to see you teach a class, or is that only for the big training groups?

It looks like there might only be around 10 people in this off-season May training judging by one of the million pdf files I was sent. It's pretty weird being hired on this short of notice...I was happy to find a flight under $1000 getting me out of nowhere Montana all the way to Taipei (no Tokyo layover wooo!) booking it only a few days in advance. I become a foreigner at 5am on the 19th, when I am expecting the stretch Hess limo to take me to my 5-star accommodations. :clint:

I get asked pretty often to have groups watch my class, but it's only two or three people at a time. So, low chances.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

They knocked those things down a few years ago, unfortunately.

Rude; it would've made a cool tourist area but nooooooooooo :colbert:

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

lokk posted:

url and I drive past Hess main office and close to the First Hotel (should be your hotel right?) every day on our commutes. Beer next week?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

duckfarts posted:

"However, the project was abandoned in 1980 due to investment losses and several car accident deaths during construction, which is said to have been caused by the unfortuitous act of bisecting the Chinese dragon sculpture located near the resort gates for widening the road to the buildings.[6][7] Other stories indicated that the site was the former burial ground for Dutch soldiers."

Stupid sculpture!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

"What's that, there's a piece of unique, interesting architecture with the potential to be a tourist attraction, and maybe even have historical value? But it's not making money right goddamn now? Better knock it the gently caress down and build a generic resort, office building, or apartment block!"
- every single Taiwanese bureaucrat and land-owner

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
They look like Fallout 3. I would've visited :smith:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Other than the whole "not structurally sound" business, those would be pretty loving rad to live in, so I can totally see how it came about in the first place, so shame about that first point.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

USDA Choice posted:

url and I drive past Hess main office and close to the First Hotel (should be your hotel right?) every day on our commutes. Beer next week?

Sounds good, hope I get wifi at that hotel since I'm bringing my tablet and won't have a phone. I don't know much about my training schedule yet, but I think I get off around 9 or so. They classify it as "intense" but I've already done a similar week-long training in Korea before, so I'm not too worried.

I was taking a look on the Taiwanese customs site, and they claim that I can only bring 6 total bottles of medicine (2 per brand) with me to Taiwan. I was planning on bringing over a whole bunch of Prevacid bottles (only 14 pills in each bottle), an acid reflux medication that I need daily. Am I better off simply having a friend ship me the bottles later? I had no problem bringing a ton of them to Korea with me, but I'm not sure how strict Taiwan is compared to Korea.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
My dad had a heart attack two years ago, and he just came for eight weeks and brought a TON of prescription meds with him, he had to take like 6-7 pills daily. I dunno if it's more than "two bottles" worth but it was a lot.

As far as non-prescription stuff, my friend's mom wanted some eye vitamin stuff that they sell at Costco in America, but not here in Taiwan. He brought 20 bottles (!!) of that stuff with him, and I think each one had like 50 pills in it. Customs didn't even give his bag a second look. Not sure if that will help you since they were vitamins and not medicine per se, but I think in general they're pretty relaxed about searching people's bags unless you're a person of interest, but you never know when you might get unlucky.

He did carry a doctor's note explaining all the Rx stuff should the need arise, but no one has ever asked him about it.

Also oddly enough he lives in Montana (Billings!) and also had no layover in Tokyo, so you may even be on the same drat route he was on!

I just had fun sitting at an intersection for 30 minutes during that air raid drill thingie in the rain on my scooter. That was cool.

edit: And if you're staying at First Hotel, they definitely have wifi, I was just there like 3 or 4 weekends ago.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 15, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lokk posted:

Sounds good, hope I get wifi at that hotel since I'm bringing my tablet and won't have a phone. I don't know much about my training schedule yet, but I think I get off around 9 or so. They classify it as "intense" but I've already done a similar week-long training in Korea before, so I'm not too worried.

I was taking a look on the Taiwanese customs site, and they claim that I can only bring 6 total bottles of medicine (2 per brand) with me to Taiwan. I was planning on bringing over a whole bunch of Prevacid bottles (only 14 pills in each bottle), an acid reflux medication that I need daily. Am I better off simply having a friend ship me the bottles later? I had no problem bringing a ton of them to Korea with me, but I'm not sure how strict Taiwan is compared to Korea.

What counts as a "bottle"? They come in all sorts of sizes.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

hailthefish posted:

What counts as a "bottle"? They come in all sorts of sizes.

No clue, the pdf file I found http://eweb.customs.gov.tw/public/Attachment/712119332471.pdf doesn't really make it too clear.

"Six items (2 bottles or boxes per item) of other personal medicines which are not on the list are allowed to be carried by passengers"

Vitamins get 12 bottles/12,000 pcs, and "foods in tablet/capsule form" get 12,000 pcs as well, but the rest is all Chinese medicine. If I can get the generic (lansoprazole) over the counter at a pharmacy then I wouldn't have to worry about any of this, but I can't find any reliable information. I'll most likely just bring a bunch and throw it away if customs makes a big deal about it.

lokk fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 15, 2013

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can get Prevacid (or Prilosec) fairly easily in Taiwan. Might not even need a prescription. Although getting a prescription would not be tough or expensive in the slightest, once you get your health card.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, I'd recommend bringing enough to cover you for your first four to six months and then just trying to get it locally.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

e: god-dammit, I made edits and posted using a phone app, and I'm loathe to criticise a goon for having put the effort in, but obviously I need to have stronger word with the app creator.

:/

yeah - i'm down for a post-work beer next week w/e.

url fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 15, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Anyone know of a good mobile hotspot rental service?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Riptor posted:

Anyone know of a good mobile hotspot rental service?

There's Taipei Free if you're going to be around populated areas in Taipei. Other than that, WiFly seems to be at tons of 7-Elevens which are plentiful around the island. If you can/want to tether to a phone you already have, you can buy data packages by the day.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wifly is also available in basically every Starbucks and Burger King in Taipei too, so if you take that route there's plenty of coverage.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

lokk posted:

I almost came over on the May training group, but decided to push it back until August. I'll be doing the Hess thing too. I don't know where my placement will be yet, but I picked the areas near Taipei. I'm coming over with my fiancee, but it would still be pretty cool to meet some Goons while I'm there.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
If anyone is near the First Hotel and not doing anything today, I can't check in until 3pm. Let's do lunch. It's hot, humid, and I have no clue what I'm supposed to loving do with my empty bottles. HELP ME!!!

edit: I got a good nap in at the internet cafe, but you guys are probably all hungover from last night. Off to go wander some more.

Edit 2: they literally put me in a closet with someone who has yet to show up. Fun times.

lokk fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 19, 2013

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

lokk posted:

probably all hungover from last night

Yep. You nailed it.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
After-work beverage on tomorrow anyone?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

After-work beverage on tomorrow anyone?

I was supposed to see an appt y/day, but the woman was busy, can't get hold of her today.
But yeah - tomo i'll bop along for a swifty.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

url posted:

I was supposed to see an appt y/day, but the woman was busy, can't get hold of her today.
But yeah - tomo i'll bop along for a swifty.

v:downs:v

imma guess no new is good news

keep us posted lokk!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm headed to Taipei in 2 weeks, for a weekend of kicking about. Any ideas about where I should stay, and who fancies a beer once I arrive?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm down for a beer.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Don't forget about taxes, folks!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I went all the way to Banqiao only for them to tell me that I didn't need to file because I hadn't been here for 180-whatever days. I landed July 16 last year. When does that count end?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I went to Banqiao's tax office yesterday, I dunno if they've just got a new system in place or if the North is really that much more advanced than the South, but drat it was so much easier than the past four years in Tainan.

Quadrophrenic, you pay taxes for the previous year, so this year we're filing 2012's taxes. You weren't here for half (183 days) of 2012, so you don't need to file. 2013 resets that count, and you'll pay those taxes next year.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
AH yeah, I should've figured it was just for 2012. I didn't know if Taiwan went by some weird FY or something.

Though, yeah, 169 days last year. Just squeaked in under the wire.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I went to Banqiao's tax office yesterday, I dunno if they've just got a new system in place or if the North is really that much more advanced than the South, but drat it was so much easier than the past four years in Tainan.
No idea what it's like Down There, but every single time I've filed my taxes up here in Taipei, I've just walked in, said "hey I need to file my taxes" and they've printed out a list, filled out the form, and told me to sign it. No effort at all on my part, even when I filed for the first time after like three years of being here.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I have done that exact thing for ten years now, in Kaohsiung. I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with Tainan.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

AH yeah, I should've figured it was just for 2012. I didn't know if Taiwan went by some weird FY or something.

quadrophrenic posted:

That's not really a good thing? It means your withheld taxes are at the max rate vs something far more amicable.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
You can also file online if you have all your pay stubs and the patience to muddle through terrible software. The nice part is that you don't have to get out of your goonthronechair. I was able to get mine out of the way just this morning at work.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

duckfarts posted:

That's not really a good thing? It means your withheld taxes are at the max rate vs something far more amicable.

Oh I'm aware it is a very bad thing. I was looking forward to partially bankrolling a vacation with whatever tax return I got.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Not that Tainan was incredibly difficult, but they made me fill out the forms by myself. They were always helpful and would show me what goes where, but it was kinda weird, they'd do all the math themselves, then hand you a calculator and tell you to do it, just checking to see if you arrive at the right number. It was not difficult but it just took a while.

Yesterday I just handed her my ARC, passport, and tax receipts. Waited like 2 minutes, they needed my phone number and bank account number for the refund, and then I was gone. Easy peasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

duckfarts posted:

I like the fact that the government saves money for me that I would otherwise spend on stupid things.