Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I have caught up and that was not a complete and utter waste of time.
I am very satisfied with my comics binge.

Now I guess I have to join the rest of you in pining and camping for updates. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jenner posted:

Now I guess I have to join the rest of you in pining and camping for updates. :v:

Gunnerkrigg is as regular as clockwork, so you won't be doing much pining!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Gunnerkrigg is as regular as clockwork, so you won't be doing much pining!
I miss living in California, where it updated at midnight instead of 3am. :(

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here, in A Bad Start, we actually get some character development for Paz, and she helps Kat resolve a serious issue she's having with the Court and her life. We also find out that her last name is Cadena-Blanco, which means "white chain". Not sure what the significance of that is, if any. We also see her telepathically communicating with an infant City Face, although it's handled with a bit of subtlety, so it might not be obvious if one hasn't noticed how Zimmy and Gamma's communication is drawn.

And incidentally, Jack mentioned that someone in their class had this ability.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Pyroclastic posted:

Wait, where?

I dunno, presumably he'll give a link.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Looks like I missed all the excitement. Perhaps, though, this might be a good time for a bit of a Paz retrospective, since lord knows I had forgotten all the times she shows up.

You made me do this.

And I decided to stop worrying and see what would happen

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Elysiume posted:

I miss living in California, where it updated at midnight instead of 3am. :(

7pm, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Like clockwork. Sometimes it's nice to live in NZ.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Have we found out what that extra bit on Robot's CPU is yet?

The extra bit probably contains the processing/programming that's based on Diego's etheric robotics.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

cptn_dr posted:

7pm, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Like clockwork. Sometimes it's nice to live in NZ.
It's even nicer to be on the east-coast of Australia and come home from a hard day's work to a Gunner's Crag update.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Here in Sweden it it updates at 9 in the morning. A good way to start the workday.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This comic is amazing. Every single page that gets linked leads me to reread a chapter which eventually just leads to a total reread.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MikeJF posted:

The extra bit probably contains the processing/programming that's based on Diego's etheric robotics.
I'm mildly concerned at the way Kat was tapping Robot's brain with a screwdriver.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Holy cow :psyduck: There's seeds planted for future stuff EVERYWHERE in earlier chapters

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Speaking of which, I just did a re-read and finally managed to get this joke:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Looks like I missed all the excitement. Perhaps, though, this might be a good time for a bit of a Paz retrospective, since lord knows I had forgotten all the times she shows up.

Here's the first time we see Paz, although at this point we only know her as "goggle-eyed student #4". There she is with Janet, John, and Winsbury being really surprised by the appearance of a minotaur in their classroom.

Basil! I'd totally forgotten about him! This comic needs more civilized minotaur with timeshares.

Macaluso posted:

Holy cow :psyduck: There's seeds planted for future stuff EVERYWHERE in earlier chapters

This is what I meant earlier about wondering what Tom's outline looks like. We know he's got a sizable buffer, sure. But exactly how much has he planned out? Is he mapped all the way to the end? Do all the hooks he's written have end points where they're called? Just how much of a mastermind is he?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That was a cool summary of Paz' appearances. Luckily I re-read the whole comic a few days ago so all of it was fresh in my mind, but it's a great read if you're rusty! I have to shamefully admit that there were some chapters I didn't read before; I have the very bad habit of reading the latest chapters when I find about a new webcomic, and only do a full reading when I'm sure I want to invest the time. Which is a pretty dumb way to do it since I end up spoiling myself on a lot of surprises and story details.

Back to Paz: I think Tom made a great job of taking a very minor character and slowly elaborate her to where she is now, you can see how it's intentional with all the callbacks and subtle references that become clear later. Worse storytellers could just have introduced a completely new character only to fill that role (Aly doesn't count since he just came for that short arc and was intended to disappear from the comic never to be seen again)

Like I mentioned earlier I've been reading the "Word of Tom" section of the wiki where they compiled everything he has ever said about the comic outside of the comic itself, and it's full of interesting information. Some of it is not relevant to the story but it's still very neat, for example the fact that Zimmy's parents just plain forgot she exists thanks to her powers (and were alive and well last time she saw them). Gamma's past is hinted to be pretty dark, she doesn't want anything to do with her family so I guess she had an awful childhood. Apparently both of them are better now than they've ever been in the past!

I friggin love this comic is what I'm tryin' to say. :unsmith:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

dyzzy posted:

Speaking of which, I just did a re-read and finally managed to get this joke:

The best part that I only noticed now is that Kat even mimics Annie's pose.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does anyone else see strange patterns in the final panel zooming in on the weather-bug's eyes? I only really see them when I look at it from an angle. I've got an LCD monitor... am I just seeing graphical glitches or is this some kind of subtle detail that I missed?

I never noticed it before and thought it was just Skywatcher's circuitry but there seems to be a similar sort of very faint pattern in the painting. Which makes me wonder, is there a message hidden in the painting for the Court's robots in their machine language? :iiam:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Blackheart posted:

Like I mentioned earlier I've been reading the "Word of Tom" section of the wiki where they compiled everything he has ever said about the comic outside of the comic itself, and it's full of interesting information.

There are some real gems in there, like:

Q. Who has been longer at the Court, the headmaster or Jones?
A. The headmaster has spent more of his life at the Court than Jones has.

(pretty sure this answer predates the reveal about Jones by a couple years...)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Quinton posted:

That one's great since the answer applies to anyone that's there in relation to Jones.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Warmachine posted:

This is what I meant earlier about wondering what Tom's outline looks like. We know he's got a sizable buffer, sure. But exactly how much has he planned out? Is he mapped all the way to the end? Do all the hooks he's written have end points where they're called? Just how much of a mastermind is he?

I think he said at some point that he already has an ending in mind, that the comic has a definite end point. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he really does have all of the storyline plotted out in his beautiful, story-filled mind.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

TastesLikeChicken posted:

I never noticed it before and thought it was just Skywatcher's circuitry but there seems to be a similar sort of very faint pattern in the painting. Which makes me wonder, is there a message hidden in the painting for the Court's robots in their machine language? :iiam:

I commented on that as well quite a while back... hang on while I check what I said.

OK, yeah, in this post I said:

quote:

What's going on with Jeanne's eyes in this painting and the mantis robot's programming?

Did Diego hide something here with which to influence future robots?

Edited to add: I feel like discovering Jeanne's shrine was a distinct turning point in Robot's personality and focus.

TenKindsOfCrazy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 30, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Quinton posted:

Then there's the weird questions too:

quote:

Q. Does Annie wear perfume at all?
A. No she doesn't.

Q. But does she smell nice anyway?
A. I'm sure she smells like a 12 year old girl.

These aren't the weirdest questions in there by far, but it reminded me of the "Mass Effect alien sweat smell" thingie. You can almost feel Tom's exasperation in some answers.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Somebody/people were really insistent on asking about Aly's bird transformation :psyduck:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Warmachine posted:

If it were me, I'd just drop little things like that as I think of them and keep a list of them. If you have a specific idea in mind, great. If not, you can just make up something that fits and then it looks like you're super good at foreshadowing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenzirouj posted:

If it were me, I'd just drop little things like that as I think of them and keep a list of them. If you have a specific idea in mind, great. If not, you can just make up something that fits and then it looks like you're super good at foreshadowing.

Homestuck in a nutshell.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

According to the man himself, he has the ending in his mind, but doesn't know how long it will take to get there. He does more or less script each chapter before starting it to help with pacing, but apparently even that can change along the way. He does mention at some point that Basil's chapter feels kind of out of place with the rest of the comic, since the tone of the story began to change a bit after that one. I still love Basil though.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Blackheart posted:

According to the man himself, he has the ending in his mind, but doesn't know how long it will take to get there. He does more or less script each chapter before starting it to help with pacing, but apparently even that can change along the way. He does mention at some point that Basil's chapter feels kind of out of place with the rest of the comic, since the tone of the story began to change a bit after that one. I still love Basil though.

Here's hoping we get a Basil side comic since he doesn't fit in the main continuity/setting anymore.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

LtStorm posted:

Here's hoping we get a Basil side comic since he doesn't fit in the main continuity/setting anymore.

How so? Mythical creatures are still part of continuity, aren't they?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
He even grew a nice new goatee

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hah, just spent few hours reading old forum threads. It's quite amusing to read through all the crazy theories people had five years ago and how surprising some twists were back then.

Also:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Iceclaw posted:

How so? Mythical creatures are still part of continuity, aren't they?

I think he just means that Basil doesn't have much relevance to the main plot. He's shown up all of, what, twice?

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

Yeah, I think Tom says he does something like this. I only remember he mentioned the paintings with the footsteps from Basil's chapter were supposed to have some kind of portal story attached to them, but that idea ended up going nowhere.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Speaking of absence, we haven't seen Tic-Toc birds in ages.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Clearly they've gone into phase B of their plan. We haven't seen them but they can still see us :tinfoil:

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

Speaking of absence, we haven't seen Tic-Toc birds in ages.

That, quite frankly, I think is intentional. We will almost certainly see them again at some point. Probably once we find out what they're really all about. Which may or may not have something to do with Kat's new robot design.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Sudden topic change: Somebody mentioned a while back that you can find Robot's missing arm is an easter egg in one of the comics. I've looked and looked but can't find it. Help me!
Found it.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Splicer posted:

Found it.

Which chapter was it in?

\/ Last time they were relevant was in Chapter 39. Last time we actually saw one outside of a flashback was Chapter 21.

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 30, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I for one can't remember when we last saw a single psychopomp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Rasamune posted:

Which chapter was it in?
Is this it? It looks like a robot's arm to me!