Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

So, anyone got a good idea for a low level (22) build for a Mage to AOE the poo poo out of things in events? I still have very little what souls do what beyond Harb/Chloro owns for levelling and Pyro/Dom for warfronts.

I think tactician has spoiled me with its flame throwing goodness.

Unfortunately, at these lower levels, tactician appears to be the indisputed king of AoE - later on tactician is unseated, but there's not much you can do that's QUITE as amazing AOEwise as a mage for a long time (Apparently stormcaller can become amazing at AOE but it has an extremely difficult rotation and I've never really done well with it). You do have a few OK options though. Pyromancer has a channeled AOE that can kill groups pretty decently, but the main AOE I have ended up using while leveling my mage is just using Lucent Slash on a chloroharb - You might not get that for a few levels, though. It has the nice perk of being a life damage attack, so if you use Livegiving Veil and Radiant Weapon just spamming it will keep you alive even while AOEing down the largest swarms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

I checked out whats new with the cleric souls after being away from this game since I last played, and maaan, they took out all the cool stupid builds I made with clerics. No more laser priests or druids that healed while doing ranged dps :/

I suppose the new trees are much better, though. For boring people to do their boring "efficient and sensical" builds with.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Are Clerics reasonably capable at playing the tank and DPS roles, or do they tend to be pressured into healing in groups?

Given how SL tuning has been, you basically run as many healers in general as you need to keep the raid alive then you start dropping them for dps, generally starting with clerics since they're more specialized so it's easier to identify when you don't need a cleric healing.

Healing in raids is generally done by the following specs and their respective roles:

Chloro - Tank/Raid constant heals, single target cooldowns, energy, wild growth (basically always gonna have at least one or two of these)
Purifier - Tank/Raid shields/mitigation, secondary tank healing (generally the first to be dropped from a raid composition)
Warden - Raid heals, raid cooldowns, slight raid mitigation
Defiler - Tank mitigation, magic debuff shared with inquisitor, snap heals on single raid members (basically used for every fight in SL 20 mans)
Bard - consistent throughput while providing buffs
Sentinel - I know nothing about sentinel utilization.

(Also tacts get a really cool cooldown in Ablative coil aaah I'm so jealous)

Because of different healing requirements per fight especially for clerics you learn inquisitor and/or shaman.

Also sometimes you double up on warden and for some really weird strategies you'll double up on purifiers but generally cleric souls other than warden aren't very conducive to doubling up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am the guy who always leveled as a Holy Priest in WoW even when everyone said I was dumb. I want to level as a Bard because shooting people with a guitar is loving awesome. What are the best souls to complement it? I'm not looking for things to add damage abilities because I am insane and will level with Bard abilities even if they aren't the greatest for damage. So more utility and such, maybe Riftwalker for the teleports? Something with Stealth?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tunga posted:

I am the guy who always leveled as a Holy Priest in WoW even when everyone said I was dumb. I want to level as a Bard because shooting people with a guitar is loving awesome. What are the best souls to complement it? I'm not looking for things to add damage abilities because I am insane and will level with Bard abilities even if they aren't the greatest for damage. So more utility and such, maybe Riftwalker for the teleports? Something with Stealth?

Rifstalker 8 (Boosted Recovery) and Tact 4 (Curative Engine) if you don't want to worry about dying and just like hitting bard buttons. I spent several levels killing things as a bard with those two souls and even if it's a bit slower, pretty much nothing can kill you.

edit: Up until 33, when I stopped leveling my rogue, it was a bit faster + less button presses than ranger.

edit edit: If you don't care about that and want extra buttons, 16 assassin nets you a permastealth, but I am pretty sure it doesn't mesh well with bard (who's attacks are mostly non-physical, and the only other rogue souls that have talents that specifically boost non-physical attacks are Tactician and Nightblade, IIRC.)

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 28, 2013

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Spuckuk posted:

So, anyone got a good idea for a low level (22) build for a Mage to AOE the poo poo out of things in events? I still have very little what souls do what beyond Harb/Chloro owns for levelling and Pyro/Dom for warfronts.

Storm Caller and Dom are the two Mage AOE specs. Dominator isn't that useful until later levels, and only excels at burst damage (poo poo out 2m damage in a few seconds, then sit around waiting for cooldowns). SC is better at sustained AOE with Forked Lightning (which can hit up to 8 with a few points into the spec).

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Sentinel - I know nothing about sentinel utilization.

Pretty much ST-only chloro with way better tank CDs. Slightly more bursty and their big CD, Healer's Covenant can easily be picked up by the puri. Only encounters in SL I have used sent are Gelidra when we had a chloro missing, Twins during progression when we needed 2 tank healers per side and Jultharin (sp? 3rd boss in TDQ) because it is easy to keep the tank/myself up while running around and being the assist target for the wisps.

I am not aware of any raid encounters where sent is a good replacement for a chloro, but they can be a good partner for the chloro if the tank is taking a lot of constant damage. I hate that RIFT does not let you efficiently double up on most healing specs, especially tank healing specs on a single tank. Chloros can't double up due to synth, two sents can't LoR the same tank, puri shields don't stack. Warden is pretty much the only spec that can efficiently be stacked.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Machai posted:

I am not aware of any raid encounters where sent is a good replacement for a chloro, but they can be a good partner for the chloro if the tank is taking a lot of constant damage. I hate that RIFT does not let you efficiently double up on most healing specs, especially tank healing specs on a single tank. Chloros can't double up due to synth, two sents can't LoR the same tank, puri shields don't stack. Warden is pretty much the only spec that can efficiently be stacked.

Yeah that was basically my impression of Sentinel since we pretty much have never used one except for PTS shenanigans and some test pulls on HM Gelidra.

To be fair, encounter design for SL at least has been such that doubling up on most roles is redundant (Double purifiers for Crucia was totally awesome though).

Stacking wardens for Maklamos pre-SL was fun though~.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 28, 2013

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Rifstalker 8 (Boosted Recovery) and Tact 4 (Curative Engine) if you don't want to worry about dying and just like hitting bard buttons. I spent several levels killing things as a bard with those two souls and even if it's a bit slower, pretty much nothing can kill you.

edit: Up until 33, when I stopped leveling my rogue, it was a bit faster + less button presses than ranger.

edit edit: If you don't care about that and want extra buttons, 16 assassin nets you a permastealth, but I am pretty sure it doesn't mesh well with bard (who's attacks are mostly non-physical, and the only other rogue souls that have talents that specifically boost non-physical attacks are Tactician and Nightblade, IIRC.)

I used something similar to this leveling from 50-60 when I had hard fights. The bad news is that it takes forever to kill pulls. The good news is that nothing can kill you ever.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm going to drop my current level 30 rogue out of the guild, to hopefully get an invite on my level 45 rogue (name: Gerdalti). I probably should have relearned the game on a class that I didn't already have a high level character of. Oh well.

If I could get an invite that'd be great. Thanks.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Spuckuk posted:

Stormcaller and Dominator are the two aoe dps souls, but they really get most of their toys level 35+. You could go SC and just forked lightning poo poo endlessly, then once you reach 31 you can get charged shield and use lightning field to blow up groups after forked applies 2-3 stacks of electrified. For right now, I would suggest going pyro and picking up firestorm, it's probably the heaviest hitting aoe spell at that level and can be cast nonstop.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
In my experiences in 1.11 (in which most of the souls at low levels work like they do in Storm Legion iirc) at least Stormcaller kicks rear end for low level PvP and PvE when soloing because it has a lot of CC. This was before Harbinger was released so I don't know how well it competes.

I used it up to like level 26 PvPing for extra life.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Before rolling here I leveled a mage to 30 on Some EU Server to muck around and Stormcaller turned out pretty solid at low levels. The rotation is pretty fun and varied, it synergizes nicely with Elementalist, you get an 8 target aoe immediately (compared to one 5 target at 20 for Pyro) and the assorted aoe boosting synergies start coming around level 25 with Hailstorm and Lightning Field. It at least parsed better in groups than my Pyro, somewhat depending on tank aggression. I didn't compare with Harbinger, if I wanted to hit things with magic swords I'd play Riftblade. :colbert:

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Tunga posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Alternatively, since your survivability will already be extremely high just by being bard, you could drop rift stalker and tactician completely and pick up blade dancer instead. Blade dancers passive abilities will increase the damage on your bard attacks giving you comparable damage to dps specs. You still wont die but you will kill things 50% faster than RS and Tact. Just something to think about.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Before rolling here I leveled a mage to 30 on Some EU Server to muck around and Stormcaller turned out pretty solid at low levels. The rotation is pretty fun and varied, it synergizes nicely with Elementalist, you get an 8 target aoe immediately (compared to one 5 target at 20 for Pyro) and the assorted aoe boosting synergies start coming around level 25 with Hailstorm and Lightning Field. It at least parsed better in groups than my Pyro, somewhat depending on tank aggression. I didn't compare with Harbinger, if I wanted to hit things with magic swords I'd play Riftblade. :colbert:

Eh, Stormcaller always felt sort of clunky - I never really ended up doing good enough AOE to justify the complete abandonment of competent single target damage, self healing, and survivability. Especially since most AOE situations tend to have less than 8 enemies anyway. I'm sure it's good in some situations if you learn how to use it, but it's just so.. inflexible. Plus, I wasn't the biggest fan of hypothermia/electrocution - it just seemed like a really awkward mechanic to fit into a rotation.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wolpertinger posted:

Eh, Stormcaller always felt sort of clunky - I never really ended up doing good enough AOE to justify the complete abandonment of competent single target damage, self healing, and survivability. Especially since most AOE situations tend to have less than 8 enemies anyway. I'm sure it's good in some situations if you learn how to use it, but it's just so.. inflexible. Plus, I wasn't the biggest fan of hypothermia/electrocution - it just seemed like a really awkward mechanic to fit into a rotation.

To each his own, I just wanted to chime in that in my experience Stormcaller felt better single target than most specs labeled single target at low levels due to innate CC and high base values.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Has anyone been able to get the Raptr app to count non-steam rift hours? I bought Rift on steam back when it came out, but storm legion and everything else has been the solo client. I don't even have any rift steam files installed, but it's on the list so Raptr sees it and that's the only rift it will see. If i try to manually install a game and point it to the base directory, it says "got it!" and then just shows Rift (Steam) and doesn't track any time.

I really don't want to install through steam and lose all my mods just to game the ascend a friend system.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If you have it in your Steam library and have linked your Steam to Raptr, it will blithely ignore any non-Steam time.

It's infuriating and I've brought it up on raptr and they've said it's intentional. :argh:

(I cheated and symlinked my old install to the steamapps folder :ssh:)

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Made a bard alt, can I get an invite for Raitoed please?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Oh yeah, also:

quote:

RIFT ‏@Riftgame 24m
We just decided today: RIFT will be FREE to anyone who owns it for 5 FULL DAYS! May 30 - June 3 @CalamityXI

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Oh yeah, also:

Wow, that's cool and pretty nice of them. It's unfortunate I just recently resubbed. I'm hoping that the patron's benefits will be worth keeping a sub going. I love that they seem to have an extremely player friendly business model, but it might be so much so that I don't want/need to sub any more after the change. I'd feel pretty bad not subbing in that case, but I'd also feel stupid staying subbed. Dunno what I'm going to do.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Eltoasto posted:

Stormcaller and Dominator are the two aoe dps souls, but they really get most of their toys level 35+. You could go SC and just forked lightning poo poo endlessly, then once you reach 31 you can get charged shield and use lightning field to blow up groups after forked applies 2-3 stacks of electrified. For right now, I would suggest going pyro and picking up firestorm, it's probably the heaviest hitting aoe spell at that level and can be cast nonstop.

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Phryyd
Mar 21, 2013
Just a warning for those looking to get the storm legion expansion free. Only use a code from the Raptr client. Don't trust keys given to you by random strangers or people in chat. Scammers have picked up on the fact that there's no easy way to tell the difference between the ascend a friend code and the storm legion code so they've been handing out the Ascent a Friend codes to gullible newbies. When the newbie is asked to register the game and input a credit card the scammer says it's a problem with Trion's billing and you won't be billed. This is a lie of course. They are tricking you into paying for a month so the can get the ascend a friend benefits.

Oh, my character name is Phyrd. I can't join the goonsquad channel is this because my account is in trial mode?

Phryyd fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 29, 2013

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Eltoasto posted:

Has anyone been able to get the Raptr app to count non-steam rift hours? I bought Rift on steam back when it came out, but storm legion and everything else has been the solo client. I don't even have any rift steam files installed, but it's on the list so Raptr sees it and that's the only rift it will see. If i try to manually install a game and point it to the base directory, it says "got it!" and then just shows Rift (Steam) and doesn't track any time.

I really don't want to install through steam and lose all my mods just to game the ascend a friend system.

This worked for me, but it was a while back:

Install it from steam, cancel the installation after like 10 seconds, enough time for steam to create the directory structure and put rift in your games list.

Copy (copy! in case of mistakes) the rift directory structure from where it is now, to the directory made in steamapps folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rift )

But don't ever have steam check file integrity because it will revert all the gamefiles back to whatever version steam patcher is at, then rift will re-patch over that (unless they fixed that since I last did it on accident a year ago or something like that).

Steam just points to the patch executable in that folder.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Could I get an invite? On as Conceit.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
Can I get an invite? I'm in as Lenaway.

I'm pretty amazed with this game.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Thought I'd try this game out since GW2 boredom finally did me in. Could I get an invite for Grundlefly?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Eltoasto posted:

Oh yeah, also:

Awesome, this'll help me fill time til ODyssey launches for EVE on the 4th. :toot:

Edit: This is up now, time to play!

Minera fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 29, 2013

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
invited people up to here~

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Invite up to here then! <=

Invite Alaidra! Guess I'll play with US goons, since I have no friends in the EU anyway.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
blah blah blah, mumble server downtime right now, but no one uses it so no one cares, it'll be up when it's up, deal with it.

e: it might be back up, look at how much I care.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 29, 2013

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
So I played this at launch and got to 50 on my rogue, but didn't really do any dungeons or raids and quit shortly after.

I came back recently and have been playing the excellent Nightblade/Riftstalker/Tactician build to level solo. However, I did my first dungeon run last night and two or three of the fights was told a ranged spec would be more useful for those encounters.

My question is, what's a good ranged rogue spec. Someone in chat said 61MM/10 Sin/5 something but I'm not 60 and just looking for something I could mash in dungeons.

Billy Pilgrim
Dec 20, 2005
Poo-tee-weet?
Grimey Drawer
Looking for invite, name of Healena.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Always like to play with Goons.

Just rolled a character named Adgaa

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 30, 2013

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I wanna express my thanks to Vandee, Amory, Mouretsu, and Chelm for carrying me through a few experts tonight. :)

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I haven't played this game in nearly two years and all my specs look alien to me and none of my macros work :negative:

It's so overwhelming

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Is there still a go-to cleric spec for leveling in SL content? Everything has a ton of health and duracell looks like it's been dead for a long rear end time now.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Minrad posted:

Is there still a go-to cleric spec for leveling in SL content? Everything has a ton of health and duracell looks like it's been dead for a long rear end time now.

I've been leveling with the druidicar spec. It's probably not the fastest thing on the road but I've never even come close to dying, and I was #2 in DPS in a random level 50 dungeon. I did have a bunch of leftover RoS/GSB raid gear, and I bought a new rare staff because my only melee weapon was a dagger and it was kind of lovely, so if you're going in totally naked your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Keshik posted:

I wanna express my thanks to Vandee, Amory, Mouretsu, and Chelm for carrying me through a few experts tonight. :)

Umm excuse me I helped too. Remember? I had to earlier than normal last night because my connection kept dropping but I should be on all day today after 11am EST (Maybe 11:30?) so if you want to queue we can do it then.

I really need to start a tanking set. It would make gearing so much faster.

Edit: Wait, you're Kesi right? I hope I'm right or I'll sound ridiculous.

Kreczor fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 30, 2013

• Locked thread