Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheyCallMeJorgen
May 31, 2012
Honestly the problem with subspace emissary isn't the nonsense plot (what were you expecting, Shakespeare?), but rather the gameplay itself. It uses Brawl's ring-out fighting mechanics in a beat-em-up, with the end result feeling weird and ultimately being annoying to play through since every hit you take has a ton of hitstun and knockback.

On the topic of Mario, that cosmic clone prankster comet felt very un-Mario-like. Instead of running and jumping about the level with deft daredevil feats, you're stuck stutter-stepping in a circle while waiting for the Chain Chomp to get in position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Axe Cop is great because it doesn't have Tabuu. Also, who the gently caress was he? He just comes out of nowhere.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TheyCallMeJorgen posted:

On the topic of Mario, that cosmic clone prankster comet felt very un-Mario-like. Instead of running and jumping about the level with deft daredevil feats, you're stuck stutter-stepping in a circle while waiting for the Chain Chomp to get in position.

Every time I do this star I just long jump a bunch of times and carefully weave my way between clones :shobon:

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?
Subspace Emissary was good if only because you could burn through it in a couple hours and have all but three of the characters unlocked, and those final three weren't that hard to find either.

World 5 is where my memories of galaxies get a little vaguer, so I'm looking forward to the next couple of episodes!

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.

Smoking Crow posted:

Axe Cop is great because it doesn't have Tabuu. Also, who the gently caress was he? He just comes out of nowhere.

Tabuu was the most annoying/confusing character I've seen in a long time. He just kind of appeared, after the rest of the villains dissipated and his character model was that of kind of a dumb, gimmicky wireframe? Subspace is kind of lame.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I have no clue what Tabuu was supposed to be; some kind of greater force than Master Hand since he was puppeting Master Hand. Since Master Hand is the representation of the kid playing with the toys I guess that'd make Tabuu its parent?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I think "kid playing with toys" only applied to the first game. Subspace blah blah blah was its own thing with its own rules.

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.

Cheez posted:

I think "kid playing with toys" only applied to the first game. Subspace blah blah blah was its own thing with its own rules.

Yeah, he was supposed to be like the ruler of subspace which is like a dumb antimatter universe and he wanted whatever-I-guess-supersmash-land to himself. That series got dumb as soon as the kid bought a sonic toy..

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
to be fair, like I said, the "kid with toys" idea only really applied to the first game. From melee onward, everything was TROPHIES TROPHIES TROPHIES, and brawl took it further by making all the little Marios and Luigis of the land living things that turn into trophies when they "die" and fight for fun. I don't even know.

I want to know if the new Smash Bros game makes as much of an attempt to rationalize the existence of fighting videogame characters as much as Brawl did.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think it's time we saw Giga Bowser in a proper Mario game. The same goes for Waluigi, but that's never going to happen.

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?

That loving Sned posted:

I think it's time we saw Giga Bowser in a proper Mario game. The same goes for Waluigi, but that's never going to happen.

What, being the main villain of Mario DDR isn't enough for you?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

withheldmcfakename posted:

What, being the main villain of Mario DDR isn't enough for you?

The realest of Mario games. It also had Waluigi!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

That loving Sned posted:

It would be really nice if just for once the main bad guys of a Mario game turned out to be Wario and Waluigi causing trouble instead of Bowser. Maybe Bowser could decide to take some time off on a tropical island somewhere, he certainly deserves a vacation.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Neruz posted:

It would be really nice if just for once the main bad guys of a Mario game turned out to be Wario and Waluigi causing trouble instead of Bowser. Maybe Bowser could decide to take some time off on a tropical island somewhere, he certainly deserves a vacation.
Super Mario Land 2 would like to have a word with you :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FinalGamer posted:

Super Mario Land 2 would like to have a word with you :colbert:

I don't think I ever played that one.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Well it was certainly better than the original.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The original is great for how broken and janky it is. Also, it has some of the best music ever to be in a Mario game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMZx8M8Bng
Hip Tanaka :swoon:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Neruz posted:

I have no clue what Tabuu was supposed to be; some kind of greater force than Master Hand since he was puppeting Master Hand. Since Master Hand is the representation of the kid playing with the toys I guess that'd make Tabuu its parent?

They should have just used any of the numerous extradimensional horror-beasts from the various Kirby games instead of making up a new one :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Death Bot posted:

They should have just used any of the numerous extradimensional horror-beasts from the various Kirby games instead of making up a new one :v:

Considering his attack patterns are very reminiscent of Marx from Kirby Super Star, I don't know why they didn't just use him. I don't think anyone would have really complained.

Also the Cosmic Clone star in the Chompworks is one of the worst and nearly drove me insane when I first tried it. It's honestly not so bad now, but I still certainly don't enjoy it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I think everybody forgets that right before you do all the bullshit with Tabuu, Subspace Emissary has quite literally the most awesome cutscene in video game history in which Kirby cements his position as the most powerful being in the universe.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

RentCavalier posted:

I think everybody forgets that right before you do all the bullshit with Tabuu, Subspace Emissary has quite literally the most awesome cutscene in video game history in which Kirby cements his position as the most powerful being in the universe.

Which cutscene is that? I don't remember Kirby doing anything that amazing?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RentCavalier posted:

If you're talking about Kirby being the only one surviving the massive trophy blast, while that is a good scene, Kirby isn't quite the hero of it. He revives because he ate Dedede's anti-trophy badge.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Neruz posted:

Which cutscene is that? I don't remember Kirby doing anything that amazing?

This cutscene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKHQXuXE8qc

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Yes, that one. If that cutscene isn't a wholly beatified "gently caress yeah, Kirby" moment then I don't know what is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Half of SSE's cutscenes are "gently caress yeah" and the other half are "dawwww" in its purest form.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm not sure how that cutscene makes Kirby 'the most powerful being in the universe' but it is pretty awesome. Brawl's cutscenes were pretty great if somewhat nonsensical.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The star of that cutscene wasn't Kirby (he's just being practical and bringing the most powerful item in the game) anyway, it was Olimar. All these top-of-the-line ships headed by ace pilots charging straight into the fray... and puttering along down in the back is Olimar's little shitbucket, still keeping pace.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Cleretic posted:

The star of that cutscene wasn't Kirby (he's just being practical and bringing the most powerful item in the game) anyway, it was Olimar. All these top-of-the-line ships headed by ace pilots charging straight into the fray... and puttering along down in the back is Olimar's little shitbucket, still keeping pace.

I was pretty impressed by all the fucks that Ganondorf does not give when the thing goes tits up. He just casually walks back inside as the whole ship is literally melting into explosions around him.

Kirby being the most powerful is simply as fact of the matter that he was the only one who did anything. Everyone else is there, all the characters in their ships and whatnot, but they are there only to get completely upstaged by Kirby.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
For awhile, folks were saying Tabuu was somehow connected to an old and very weird NES fortune-telling game, Taboo: the Sixth Sense, which had religious symbols and nudity in it. All those references have been scrubbed, though, so I dunno.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ganondorf is pretty good at giving precisely zero fucks right up until he gets a master sword to the face.

Or a fishing rod.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

People sure do hate Waluigi for some reason. I'd love to see him in a proper Mario game- or better yet, in a Wario game as his partner in greed.

Neruz posted:

Brawl's cutscenes were pretty great if somewhat nonsensical.
For nonsensical nothing beats Peach stopping Fox and Sheik from fighting by offering tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVM5xSeTWrg

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Neruz posted:

I don't think I ever played that one.
Wario was the villain of the entier thing.

It was his first videogame appearance and he was a dick to fight. So fun :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The main "problem" with SML2 (I love that game) was that you could do the worlds in any order. As a result every world was easy ramping up to slightly challenging until the final one, which had no checkpoints and was set at "final level" difficulty of platforming. Fun, but a sharp difficulty curve.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FinalGamer posted:

Wario was the villain of the entier thing.

It was his first videogame appearance and he was a dick to fight. So fun :allears:

It also gave us this fantastic comerical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhB8XG9_5Rc

OBEYY WARRRIO DESTROOOY MARIO

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What in the actual gently caress was that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Neruz posted:

What in the actual gently caress was that.

90s advertising. At least it wasn't a Zelda rap dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3THavMxNDE

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wow. I'll be honest; I have apparently complely forgotten just how insane 90s adverts were.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Neruz posted:

Wow. I'll be honest; I have apparently complely forgotten just how insane 90s adverts were.
You think the 90s were insane?

This is a Nintendo commercial from Australia back in the 80s. Jesus gently caress, that lakitu's voice will haunt my dreams :magical:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FinalGamer posted:

You think the 90s were insane?

This is a Nintendo commercial from Australia back in the 80s. Jesus gently caress, that lakitu's voice will haunt my dreams :magical:

The 80s get a pass for being the 80s though. The 90s had no excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Neruz posted:

The 80s get a pass for being the 80s though. The 90s had no excuse.

It was all that time we spent playing Klax.

• Locked thread