Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
As far as I can tell, the trick is to turn your capital into a super castle so your heir always has a sweet power base to use to keep his brothers in line.

Anyway, exactly how do you reform the faith? I've got Uppland , Skaeland and picked up zeeland in a successon crises, but I have no idea how to get this thing started. I went on a massive raid and sacrificed a boatload of english and moorish prisoners to Odin, made a runestone ect, what am I missing here ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kainser posted:

Decided to run a handsoff game and welp:

Now do it with Sunset Invasion on!

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Kainser posted:

Decided to run a handsoff game and welp:

Good god, I hope the ck2+ old gods version makes all independence revolts about 15 times more powerful than they are right now, because I don't know how and that's what they need to be at all viable.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is it possible to capture the pope?

I'd like to know this too. Seems like a fun challenge to capture the pope. :v:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Torabi posted:

I'd like to know this too. Seems like a fun challenge to capture the pope. :v:

Yes, Pope gets captured regularly, as most popes like to lead their armies and eagerly join just about any holy war near Italy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, I just had the Great Seljuk show up. Problem is, he doesn't really seem to do anything. He didn't get a province and just sits around leading his army, doing nothing in another guy's province. The province he showed up in was rebelling at the time, I guess he's actually supposed to get it, because I tried to give him a province and switch to him and it appears he can't declare war whils his troops are in a non-hostile country. 444

Also can the Seljuks declare invasions against kingdoms like te Mongols can? Cause switiching to the guy it appeared he could only do the Muslim single-county conquest thing, and holy wars, not really enough to conquer an empire in any respectable span of time, especially when all the potential targets, but one, are multi-duchy (mega-Hungary is multi-kingdom of course).

I'm thinking of maybe just save-editing to make him appropriately :black101: (crappy randomly generated stats don't really fit for a conqueror and dynast) and giving him claims on the main titles of the Samanids and Saffarids, and then let him loose. Hope he can eventually do something to throw the Abbasids off their feet as they are simply too goddamned powerful in my game, and they've been sitting at 100% decadence for quite some time now, haven't seen a decadence invasion yet. Is the power of those invasions scaled according the state they are trying to take over?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

As far as I can tell, the trick is to turn your capital into a super castle so your heir always has a sweet power base to use to keep his brothers in line.

Anyway, exactly how do you reform the faith? I've got Uppland , Skaeland and picked up zeeland in a successon crises, but I have no idea how to get this thing started. I went on a massive raid and sacrificed a boatload of english and moorish prisoners to Odin, made a runestone ect, what am I missing here ?

In the Religion window there's a button in the top left corner for reforming the religion. Either click it or mouse-over it to see what you're missing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Trip report from The Old Gods: (Thanks to Chinook, who gifted it to me as a payday advance)

I still don't understand this game at all. I did, however, have fun taking Ivar the Boneless around the entirety of the British Isles looting and conquering all the way. Then he died in battle at the age of 60-something and things went to hell from there.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Jesus christ, even for CK2 :stare:

Edit: How the gently caress are you meant to get anything done with Gavelkind? I went from being able to call 2000 troops to barely over 500. It's absolutely crippling. I guess it makes sense to raid as much as possible early on and then just throw Mercenaries at everything?

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 30, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Edit: How the gently caress are you meant to get anything done with Gavelkind? I went from being able to call 2000 troops to barely over 500. It's absolutely crippling. I guess it makes sense to raid as much as possible early on and then just throw Mercenaries at everything?

Never have more than one son inherit. Give all the rejects temples and if you run out of temples murder them.

Basically it's only a problem if your ruler dies early and unexpectedly, because otherwise it's fairly easy to swing it so that all your other sons are ineligible.

You can also try having a single son and then having your wife murdered, but that's risky because if that son dies and you don't manage to get a new one you are in deep poo poo.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Or you just roleplay it and fight your brothers for your inheritance like a true pagan, The game isn't very hard if you are minmaxing and disinheriting/killing all kids but one :black101:

e; but yeah, raiding is incredibly overpowered right now so you can just throw mercenaries at all problems as a Norse.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 30, 2013

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Not as a Norse ruler in Britain. I had two possible mercenary companies, and both were usually hired by someone else. I pored the money into holdings instead.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SkySteak posted:

I kind of like it. It functions as a kind of incentive to either reform or convert to an organized religion.

The old ways cannot last

Thoug I've been playing CK2+ for so long that I had forgot that you needed high CA in order to enact primogeniture, so I guess you should do it with a strong ruler with good diplomacy who has good vassal relations if you have a large empire you want to pass intact to your designated heir, since you have to do at least one generation with elective before you can change to primogeniture.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Randarkman posted:

I kind of like it. It functions as a kind of incentive to either reform or convert to an organized religion.

The old ways cannot last

Thoug I've been playing CK2+ for so long that I had forgot that you needed high CA in order to enact primogeniture, so I guess you should do it with a strong ruler with good diplomacy who has good vassal relations if you have a large empire you want to pass intact to your designated heir, since you have to do at least one generation with elective before you can change to primogeniture.

Yeah it's a good incentive. It's just that I've been used to either Elective Monarchy where I'm the only Elector or Muslim system.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

SkySteak posted:

If you keep a single higher tier title than the rest of your titles, your realm will remain intact, so you'll still have powerful realm levies.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Started playing TOG last night and went on a raiding binge all around Europe. Can't decide which was more fun, raiding the Vatican or sacking Constantinople. Either way I'm positively swimming in gold now, time to go collect holy sites and reform the Norse religion. For Odin! :black101:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
So is the Aztec invasion just broken in TOG or in the old game too? I started a new game post patch and now I'm sitting in 1160 as the genius Queen of unified Ireland, so now reading about this makes me wonder if my game is about to break. Could I just uncheck Sunset Invasion next time I load up the game?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

:stare:

Wiz, please add a Godslayer nickname for this event.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dauntasa posted:

Never have more than one son inherit. Give all the rejects temples and if you run out of temples murder them.

Basically it's only a problem if your ruler dies early and unexpectedly, because otherwise it's fairly easy to swing it so that all your other sons are ineligible.

You can also try having a single son and then having your wife murdered, but that's risky because if that son dies and you don't manage to get a new one you are in deep poo poo.

If you want to do it that way, you could avoid getting married and just have concubines. Once you have a son you can set them aside. There's a minor penalty for being son of a concubine, but it's easier than killing your wife.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
From a meta perspective, The Old Gods is just perfect. Before TOG, when you start as an Irish count or something, long stretches of the early game consisted of waiting. Waiting for money to finally upgrade something/ assassinate someone/ hire mercenaries, with a bit of waiting for inheritances thrown in. Now you can raid the coasts of Europe, or at least the counties around you if you play other pagans. The early game as a ruler of a small realm is much more active and interesting. I wonder what Paradox could do to spice up the game for non-pagan rulers?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It's a bit weird how Pagans and Muslims have all these fancy features and superpowers now, while the boring old Catholic church can, uh, excommunicate people? :geno:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hey guys I have these big black marks on my map

anyone know how to get rid of them? The game is still perfectly playable but they're rather annoying.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like sea level is falling.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Turn flatmap back on?

It's some thing in the settings.txt, can't remember what. Probably draw_water.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
On the topic of maps, does anyone know of a guide to altering the shape of provinces/adding new ones?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hey guys I have these big black marks on my map

anyone know how to get rid of them? The game is still perfectly playable but they're rather annoying.

You should've rammed the elder god with your longboat while you still had a chance.

e:

Schizotek posted:

On the topic of maps, does anyone know of a guide to altering the shape of provinces/adding new ones?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?585952-TUTORIAL-Creating-new-provinces-counties

There's no good tutorial for making a map from scratch, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's a good strategy for dealing with un-married younger brothers when I start a game? Should I just try to give them something to do, if possible, and keep them unmarried? Are they nice wild cards to use to form alliances when possible?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've been trying to update my Sonendar mod to the latest patch version. It loads fine up till "Loading graphics", then it crashes. Does anyone have any clues as to why?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Kainser posted:

It's a bit weird how Pagans and Muslims have all these fancy features and superpowers now, while the boring old Catholic church can, uh, excommunicate people? :geno:

Which is why Theocracies make the perfect next DLC. Catholic feudal rulers were the most fleshed out when the game came out, then everyone else got an expansion with loads of flavor and cool new poo poo to do, until Catholicism started to look bland. I hope Paradox are thinking the same way and the next addon is a result of learning from the currently available DLC to bring back pizazz to the game's original focus.

Saints! Knights! Hierarchies! Monasteries! Cathedrals! Heresy! All that cool stuff that you associate with the Middle Ages, except now in actual context.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm running England as an elective monarchy, is there any real advantage to creating the five or so duchies that don't exist yet? Seems to me it would only mean more electors to worry about, but is there some advantage I'm missing?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I've been trying to update my Sonendar mod to the latest patch version. It loads fine up till "Loading graphics", then it crashes. Does anyone have any clues as to why?

Have you changed the interface at all? I bet it's something to do with the interface.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
e:Nvm.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 30, 2013

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I had two sons, both went off to fight in the Varangian guard. The older came home more skilled and wiser.

The younger came home castrated and blinded.

Time to burn Constantinople :black101:

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Schizotek posted:

For whatever reason I can't view most of the official forums even with an account that's been around for a couple weeks. :shrug: Anyone know whats up with that?

I can't view the paradox forums either. It keeps saying I haven't sent my new password to the meta-server no matter how many times I click the button in my games list.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ofaloaf posted:

Have you changed the interface at all? I bet it's something to do with the interface.

That's the darndest thing! I haven't changed the interface one bit.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What's the purpose of Reforming the Norse Religion? What do you get from it?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I just got the Republic DLC during the sale and was wondering if anyone has any advice for playing republics, ie what to do where to start how to succeed in general. I know pretty uch nothing about playing them.

JerikTelorian posted:

You can force vassals to convert to your religion if they like you and can change you succession laws to Primogeniture or Elective. Probably some other stuff I havent done it yet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

StashAugustine posted:

I'm running England as an elective monarchy, is there any real advantage to creating the five or so duchies that don't exist yet? Seems to me it would only mean more electors to worry about, but is there some advantage I'm missing?

Raising troops is easier with a few dukes replacing the many counts, and you get more prestige, but from a powergaming perspective you should not create these duchies. Elective monarchy with few electors is the best system in the game, increasing the number of electors is always risky.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

JerikTelorian posted:

You can have higher than Low Crown authority as well, and call holy wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
This game confuses the gently caress out of me. I tried Googling for an answer to my beginner's question but failed:

Someone - one of my vassals - has declared war on me, so I round up the troops and besiege all the provinces in their duchy. Now each one of those areas has solid (not dotted) red diagonal lines across it, and is listed as being 'Occupied' by me. Now what? I understand the idea of fabricating CB in order to justifying declaring war, but I fail to get how to claim someone's lands once I've murdered their armies and successfully besieged their lands.

Usually I play diplomatically in these games but this brings out the tyrant within.

• Locked thread