Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
It's such a joy playing in a for fun charity tournament on memorial day and getting pucks shot at you on a dump in 4 seperate times by the other team.

BEER LEAGUERS:arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

1) You should be playing harder for charity!
2) Veterans had artillery shot at them from just beyond the neutral zone and didn't even flinch

In short, sack up :mad:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Beginners think they are open for the pass -- more often they are not or their feet are not moving and they're so slow to get up to speed that they wont be open by the time they're moving with any urgencyd.

Sure, that happens too. Particularly when people are taught in their beginner-level breakout drills to hit the hashmarks and stand there. I can see a clear argument for the defenseman just carrying the puck up, especially in mixed-level play. However, even a relatively immobile wing can pass to the center (as they've hopefully been taught) or plow through/around an opposing defenseman of a similar skill level, so I still don't see an argument for just chucking the puck wherever. And, honestly, when I've talked to friends about it, I've heard things like "I didn't even see the wing" or "I just wanted to get rid of it".

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Sure, that happens too. Particularly when people are taught in their beginner-level breakout drills to hit the hashmarks and stand there. I can see a clear argument for the defenseman just carrying the puck up, especially in mixed-level play. However, even a relatively immobile wing can pass to the center (as they've hopefully been taught) or plow through/around an opposing defenseman of a similar skill level, so I still don't see an argument for just chucking the puck wherever. And, honestly, when I've talked to friends about it, I've heard things like "I didn't even see the wing" or "I just wanted to get rid of it".

An immobile beginner wing with a player pressuring them is 90% of the time going to turn the puck over, whether they try to make that centering pass blindly to just get rid of it (bad idea that usually ends up as a SOG) or miss the puck and get caught flat footed while the pressuring player with their feet moving picks it up. At beginner skill levels the person without the puck has kind of an advantage over the person who has the puck, all things considered. If I'm a defenseman, I am going to try to reverse it to the other side before I pass to someone just standing there because I don't like those odds, and if I can't safely reverse it I need to decide whether I think I should just skate it up myself or fling it hard and high up the boards. That decision pretty much rests on how tired I am, the other team's forecheck and how long we've been in our end. I'd drat sure rather the other team have to all get back onsides and regroup than keep moving the puck in our end.

I'm more commonly at center though, in which case I'll generally try to direct the winger when I see the D corralling the puck. If the wing is flat footed I'll either loop over by them and call for it, skate back closer to the D and call for it, or back the winger up if the D is already passing to them.

In either case I'll talk to the winger after though and let them know why I or the D didn't pass to them or whatever.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

An immobile beginner wing with a player pressuring them is 90% of the time going to turn the puck over, whether they try to make that centering pass blindly to just get rid of it (bad idea that usually ends up as a SOG) or miss the puck and get caught flat footed while the pressuring player with their feet moving picks it up. At beginner skill levels the person without the puck has kind of an advantage over the person who has the puck, all things considered. If I'm a defenseman, I am going to try to reverse it to the other side before I pass to someone just standing there because I don't like those odds, and if I can't safely reverse it I need to decide whether I think I should just skate it up myself or fling it hard and high up the boards. That decision pretty much rests on how tired I am, the other team's forecheck and how long we've been in our end. I'd drat sure rather the other team have to all get back onsides and regroup than keep moving the puck in our end.

I'm more commonly at center though, in which case I'll generally try to direct the winger when I see the D corralling the puck. If the wing is flat footed I'll either loop over by them and call for it, skate back closer to the D and call for it, or back the winger up if the D is already passing to them.

In either case I'll talk to the winger after though and let them know why I or the D didn't pass to them or whatever.

I played D exclusively for my first couple of seasons and I feel like I had much better luck than 90% with passing to the wing. Sometimes it would amaze me how a player who could barely stand could still successfully chip the puck around the pressuring D. But I certainly agree with reversing it if the odds look bad where you're at. The kind of thing I'm talking about is not hard and high up the boards, either, which also makes sense, it's usually more like just a pass up open ice. I would be open to the implication that it's all my fault for being a lovely wing, but I see it happen again and again when presumably better players are on the ice, too. So. :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love it when you guys extrapolate several paragraphs of "what ifs" from just two lines worth of post. :haw:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

I love it when you guys extrapolate several paragraphs of "what ifs" from just two lines worth of post. :haw:

My second favorite thing, behind playing hockey, is talking about playing hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Me too, but I don't have enough to say to really comment on much of anything. I'm like that 5 year old kid trying to get a word in while the dads talk about the weather or fish or something.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I played D exclusively for my first couple of seasons and I feel like I had much better luck than 90% with passing to the wing. Sometimes it would amaze me how a player who could barely stand could still successfully chip the puck around the pressuring D.

If their feet are moving I'll pass to the wing regardless of how much of a beginner they are. But not if they're standing there. If they lose it because of a lack of experience/skill but they were thinking and hustling that's totally fine but if they're flat footed I'm not giving them that chance. ;)

xzzy posted:

Haha, I realized we got away from your situation but was enjoying talking about breakouts. I guess that makes me kind of lame and dorky. :haw:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I had a huge effortpost that was in the OP of the EASHL thread for NHL 10 or something, with diagrams and pictures.

But I think waffleimages killed it.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I heard at stick and puck tonight that at the weekend holiday 4v4 tourney a player laid down to block a shot, and did so with his face. Apparently it took over an hour to get all the blood off the ice.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Fingers McGee posted:

I heard at stick and puck tonight that at the weekend holiday 4v4 tourney a player laid down to block a shot, and did so with his face. Apparently it took over an hour to get all the blood off the ice.

It makes you wonder who the dumber one was--the person who blocked the shot, or the person who took the shot.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Gio posted:

It makes you wonder who the dumber one was--the person who blocked the shot, or the person who took the shot.
Person who blocked the shot most definitely.

We have a guy on our team who will go down at any point to attempt to block a shot. And the guy doesn't have a full cage on.

Mind you he is a pretty smart guy in the workplace, but good loving god you couldn't pay me enough to do that.

I may go down to block a centering pass on a breakaway or something like that, but if someone is taking a wind-up for a slapper from anywhere, I'm getting the gently caress out of the way so my goalie can see it and I don't deflect it in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's a guy on one of my teams who will head-first dive into anything; pass, wrister, slapper, anything. It's amazing he hasn't broken his neck with how many times he's hit the boards now. I cringe every time I see it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

So what you're saying is that your defensemen suck. Sure. That is possible too.

All I'm saying is that wingers are as likely to not see someone on them or misjudge an opponents speed and think they're open as their equally skilled defensive teammates might not see their wingers open or to misjudge where their passes are going. And it seems like chipping a puck around someone when your team has the habit of standing still is just a turnover the same as botching the pass anyways. Not likely that your center is going to be moving with speed enough to get to that puck, is it?

But maybe you as the winger would be able to beat the defensemen you chipped it around and hope that their center and wings were trapped in your defensive zone and wouldn't keep up? I dunno but I can see that working I guess

But you're right. The defensemen just chucking the puck and turning it over is bad and annoying and they should stop that.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 29, 2013

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Honestly, as a defenseman, the thing I hate more than anything is grabbing the puck in the corner, looking up, and seeing two (or even three) forwards streaking towards the blue-line for the home run pass. I want my strong-side winger with his rear end pasted to the half-boards. That usually gives me at least two passing options - one to my partner, and one to the winger - and the best part is that neither of these options are usually more than a 20-30ft pass.

I know the counter-argument when you see everyone leaving the zone is to take ice - but good teams aren't going to just bail on the forecheck. And they'll do it with support. A defenseman has maybe one or two seconds before he's going to need to get rid of the puck, or eat it. And the likelihood of making a tape-to-tape 3-line pass is...minimal. So when I get the puck it's either going to the strong side winger on the half boards (first option), my partner if he's open (second option), or off the glass and out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I love playing defense because I always feel like I'm in the right position but I also hate defense because no one is open for a pass when I get the puck.

Especially when I'm in a corner and the closest guy on the boards is the D for the other team :(

I'm starting to carry it out now because when I do the other team is 'backing off' and it gives our offense more time to figure out a way to get open.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

Honestly, as a defenseman, the thing I hate more than anything is grabbing the puck in the corner, looking up, and seeing two (or even three) forwards streaking towards the blue-line for the home run pass. I want my strong-side winger with his rear end pasted to the half-boards. That usually gives me at least two passing options - one to my partner, and one to the winger - and the best part is that neither of these options are usually more than a 20-30ft pass.

That's where the timing for the winger comes in - I agree that forwards need to come back and support the D if they're too high and my original assumption was actually that xzzy did what you imply and left the zone too early. But I don't really want them standing along the boards either - if they're just standing there it's really easy for the defending team to cover them. If I'm a center and I see my winger standing there at the hash marks on the boards waiting for a breakout pass and the other team isn't completely inept I'm basically going to need to go over there and either re-establish a passing lane lower or clean up when the winger loses the puck instead of actually making progress with breaking out of the zone. Come down low and call for it but keep moving if there's pressure. Sure if you're practicing a breakout or the other team is changing or way out of position or something you can take your time and glue your butt to the boards at the hash marks as a winger, but generally it's a better idea to stay moving IMO. As you say, you don't have infinite time to make the pass and the whole play needs to be quick, which it very rarely is going to be if anyone is flat footed.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 29, 2013

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah, I can attest to getting in trouble when getting the puck flat-footed on the half boards, especially since I feel like my center frequently is already across the blue line looking for a pass.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Topoisomerase posted:

That's where the timing for the winger comes in - I agree that forwards need to come back and support the D if they're too high and my original assumption was actually that xzzy did what you imply and left the zone too early. But I don't really want them standing along the boards either - if they're just standing there it's really easy for the defending team to cover them. If I'm a center and I see my winger standing there at the hash marks on the boards waiting for a breakout pass and the other team isn't completely inept I'm basically going to need to go over there and either re-establish a passing lane lower or clean up when the winger loses the puck instead of actually making progress with breaking out of the zone. Come down low and call for it but keep moving if there's pressure. Sure if you're practicing a breakout or the other team is changing or way out of position or something you can take your time and glue your butt to the boards at the hash marks as a winger, but generally it's a better idea to stay moving IMO. As you say, you don't have infinite time to make the pass and the whole play needs to be quick, which it very rarely is going to be if anyone is flat footed.
In this situation where would the winger continue to move to instead of being flat footed on the half boards?
I feel I do this often waiting for a breakout pass from my D and end up stationary by the time they look my way

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

lazerwolf posted:

In this situation where would the winger continue to move to instead of being flat footed on the half boards?
I feel I do this often waiting for a breakout pass from my D and end up stationary by the time they look my way

Make a swoopy U and open up for a pass

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

We're talking about a 2-4 second process here. If the wing doesn't receive the breakout pass as the defenseman starts to take ice, then yeah, (s)he needs to start skating to support the play.

I'm just saying in C and lower, the problem is usually one of two things. Either the breakout pass never comes. Or just as likely, the winger isn't in position for the standard D -> W -> C play.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

:stare: drat, I wonder who it was. Some of those guys really go all out.

How is the crowd Tuesdays? I got caught up in family stuff and couldn't get out there this week but thought it would probably be as crowded with kids/coaches as the other weekday stuff. Any different?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
I've seen the D to winger to center play work at mid-higher levels, but at lower levels it's difficult to make that play as the D collecting the puck in the corner. I'll make that pass if they're moving, but if they're just standing, it's hard to trust them to make a one-time touch pass to a streaking center because they'll try to completely control the puck before moving it or because they'll panic and just throw it up the boards blindly or because the center just isn't streaking.

I used to get the complaint that when a center won a faceoff cleanly back, the defense weren't getting them good passes. When I talked to the center about trying to win faceoffs that didn't go exactly halfway between myself and the winger, he said "oh." Sometimes, it's hard to know what things you're doing wrong when you can't see them. And especially at lower levels where the better players are often shoehorned into playing defense, it's easy to assume the wingers are at fault. Maybe not right, but certainly easy.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Gah, caught a slapshot right between my glove cuff and elbow pads last night, right on the bone. loving hurts.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

:stare: drat, I wonder who it was. Some of those guys really go all out.

How is the crowd Tuesdays? I got caught up in family stuff and couldn't get out there this week but thought it would probably be as crowded with kids/coaches as the other weekday stuff. Any different?

It was packed, there were 4 or more coaching sessions going on. After 40 minutes it thinned out, after an hour the coaching ended. The last 15-20 min was pretty empty.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Thufir posted:

Gah, caught a slapshot right between my glove cuff and elbow pads last night, right on the bone. loving hurts.

Is there at least a cool mark? I got hit in the jaw with a puck off a deflected slapshot, bled, and had nothing to show for it but a little cut the next day. I was mad. I even wear a cage. It just came up off a defensemans stick, straight up, underneath it and hit me just off to the side of the chinstrap.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

Is there at least a cool mark? I got hit in the jaw with a puck off a deflected slapshot, bled, and had nothing to show for it but a little cut the next day. I was mad. I even wear a cage. It just came up off a defensemans stick, straight up, underneath it and hit me just off to the side of the chinstrap.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I didn't notice but I guess I had blood running down my neck or something and all I got was a tiny cut the next day. I somehow always take shots between pads and I never end up with an awesome-looking bruise even though it hurts like a motherfucker. I feel like I got ripped off.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I don't really bruise much but it's kind of red and swollen and I got a surprisingly deep cut.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Thufir posted:

This happened to me a couple of months ago. The puck hit the thumb tendons, my wrist swelled up to 3x its normal size and I had to wear a splint for a week. I still have a lump where it happened.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
How do I stop my half shield from fogging up?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Wipe it with anything that will leave a thin film residue ie shaving cream, dish washing liquid

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

Keep moving. Instead of sitting on the bench, run around the rink.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the hotbrain that's fogging it, so don't wear a helmet at all.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

So what you're saying is that your defensemen suck. Sure. That is possible too.

All I'm saying is that wingers are as likely to not see someone on them or misjudge an opponents speed and think they're open as their equally skilled defensive teammates might not see their wingers open or to misjudge where their passes are going. And it seems like chipping a puck around someone when your team has the habit of standing still is just a turnover the same as botching the pass anyways. Not likely that your center is going to be moving with speed enough to get to that puck, is it?

But maybe you as the winger would be able to beat the defensemen you chipped it around and hope that their center and wings were trapped in your defensive zone and wouldn't keep up? I dunno but I can see that working I guess

But you're right. The defensemen just chucking the puck and turning it over is bad and annoying and they should stop that.

Eh, I'm not trying to say my defensemen suck. It's just an observation on one habit (and I don't necessarily play right now with the people I've seen do it the most).

I do agree that wingers (everyone, really) can easily misjudge how open they are when someone is coming in from behind.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I use baby shampoo on mine when I wear it. Rub some on, let it sit for a bit, then buff it off with a microfiber cloth. Works alright.

I tip my helmet up when I'm on the bench. Also make sure to mount your shield as forward as you can get it, so it's not constantly sitting by your hot sweaty face.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Another bit of advice I'd add to Winger Breakout chat™ is always curl with your body facing the play rather than up the ice. By this I mean as you begin the "up" part of your curl up the boards you pivot and open up your body so you're facing your d man with the puck. The reason you do this is because when you get the puck it means you're already in a position to get your head up and move it on to your centre or if they're open your streaking winger on the other side of the ice.

Also more importantly in checking hockey but still pretty relevant in non-checking hockey by facing the play instead of curling and then looking over your shoulder to get the pass you're in a better position to protect the puck (and yourself) if a defender or forechecker tries to pinch down.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Flyinglemur posted:

Most of the Pens use Murphy's Liquid Oil Soap, if you want to be like them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I use baby shampoo on mine when I wear it. Rub some on, let it sit for a bit, then buff it off with a microfiber cloth. Works alright.

I tip my helmet up when I'm on the bench. Also make sure to mount your shield as forward as you can get it, so it's not constantly sitting by your hot sweaty face.

Do you alternate brands of baby shampoo every half inch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've used Pledge for a long time, it sprays really easily and cleans at the same time and it is lemony fresh.