Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Anals of History posted:

Best I've heard was Bomani Jones' podcast. Felt like he did the best job of anyone I've heard when it comes to treating athletes as human beings and sports as a business. Problem is, he can't talk sports on his podcast anymore as part of his new contract with ESPN.

The good news is, he's excellent on Highly Questionable and probably the most enjoyable panelist they put on Around the Horn.

Seriously, Highly Questionable is somehow the most enjoyable show ESPN has these days. Just Bomani, Dan LeBetard and his dad sitting at a table chilling about sports topics.

Also, his old SBNation series on youtube is quite solid as well, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9IRJ6FHF0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Please don't watch Around the Horn.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Crazy Ted posted:

Wilbon and Kornheiser were pretty good before they started thinking they were TV stars and basically started caring more about acting like they were important than they did about actually putting effort into their work.

I feel like that was way more Wilbon than Kornheiser, but maybe that's just me.

Remember when they stuffed him on to Monday Night Football? After a few games, he kept up with the "football tourist" schtick, but you could tell (and maybe this is hindsight) he was wondering what the hell he was doing there. He would probably be be first person to tell you he had no business being in an "analyst" position in a football broadcast booth.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MourningView posted:

It's a guilty pleasure. I certainly won't speak well of its quality, but it's an interesting intersection of opinions you don't really get exposed to on SA. Like, where else am I going to hear an advocate for every wrong and terrible opinion that Bill Plashke provides without also being saved by someone cutting him off after 15 seconds of it?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

If I remember the ESPN book, PTI was basically how they talked with each other every day. Someone wanted to make it into a show and Tony said "that's terrible, no one would watch that."
ESPN has a history of making successes out of things people thought wouldn't be watchable.

Hell, when the channel itself debuted there were network executives who thought that ESPN was pointless, couldn't possibly fill a channel with enough sporting events, and that people would get bored of it.

Back then (1979) major college basketball was still on things like HBO.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

If I remember the ESPN book, PTI was basically how they talked with each other every day. Someone wanted to make it into a show and Tony said "that's terrible, no one would watch that."

Also, when the show started people at the Washington Post who had it on couldn't tell the difference aside from the fact they didn't curse. That's how genuine it was.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
bring back stump the schwab

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

The broken bones posted:

bring back stump the schwab
This. Howie Schwab was a charisma-less blob of a human being but that somehow made the show compelling as all getout.

On the more positive side, the latest 30 for 30 short on Clint Malarchuk and his neck injury is well worth 11 minutes of your time.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

MourningView posted:

Counterpoint: Do watch (or at least follow Twitter while the show's being played) on Ash Wednesday.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Prisoner posted:

On the more positive side, the latest 30 for 30 short on Clint Malarchuk and his neck injury is well worth 11 minutes of your time.

I know in the internet explosion that has happened since Malarchuk's injury, we've become somewhat desensitized. I still can't watch it over again. Saw it once and if I can help it, that will be the only time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Really you should only watch the actual games themselves and nothing else.

And if you're tempted to listen to a call in sports radio show, you should probably throw yourself out a window. Oh, and if you're in Pittsburgh and its Mark Madden, try to find a way to take him with you.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sash! posted:

And if you're tempted to listen to a call in sports radio show, you should probably throw yourself out a window. Oh, and if you're in Pittsburgh and its Mark Madden, try to find a way to take him with you.

Replace "Pittsburgh" with "Seattle" and "Mark Madden" with "everybody on KJR" and you have my predicament.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Anals of History posted:

Best I've heard was Bomani Jones' podcast. Felt like he did the best job of anyone I've heard when it comes to treating athletes as human beings and sports as a business. Problem is, he can't talk sports on his podcast anymore as part of his new contract with ESPN.

Bomani Jones is such a weird guy. He seems intelligent and can really breakdown a sports topic, but his Twitter feed was like an angsty 14 year old.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

Replace "Pittsburgh" with "Seattle" and "Mark Madden" with "everybody on KJR" and you have my predicament.

If there was one thing I learned about the Kings/Sonics debacle it's that if I ever go to Seattle I know which station to not listen to. Holy poo poo KJR is full of trash and morons.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Sash! posted:

Really you should only watch the actual games themselves and nothing else.

Just hearing the commercials during Pirates games is enough to make me pray for the death of everyone in the Pittsburgh sports media, I can't imagine actually listening to a show voluntarily.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Benne posted:

Sports radio is ignorant and toxic as a general rule, though of the the last two places I've lived, DC sports radio can't hold a candle to Raleigh sports radio in terms of complete bitchiness and shitiness

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Badfinger posted:

I feel like that was way more Wilbon than Kornheiser, but maybe that's just me.

Remember when they stuffed him on to Monday Night Football? After a few games, he kept up with the "football tourist" schtick, but you could tell (and maybe this is hindsight) he was wondering what the hell he was doing there. He would probably be be first person to tell you he had no business being in an "analyst" position in a football broadcast booth.

The ESPN book goes into detail with Tony saying he probably shouldn't have done it but shockingly Bill Simmons saying Mike Tirico was so jealous that he hosed Tony over by never laughing at his jokes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

swizz posted:

Sports radio is ignorant and toxic as a general rule, though of the the last two places I've lived, DC sports radio can't hold a candle to Raleigh sports radio in terms of complete bitchiness and shitiness

I think the fact that DC Sports radio pretty much talks about the Redskins and only the Redskins causes that bitterness to be distilled over the course of a season.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Has anyone created a definitive ranking of sports mediaentertainment personalities that give them 1-10 rankings on things like insightfulness, trolling, dogwhistling or yelling ability?

Fake edit: this could be wrapped into a Around the Horn branded tabletop RPG.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Today I discovered that, per his podcast, Bill Simmons believes that the Grizzlies fans got quiet and tense when their team fell behind in game three against the Spurs because the city is still dealing with feelings instilled by the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

The last time I listened to a sports talk show, the host ended the show 15 minutes after I tuned in by insulting the management and quitting.

I'm afraid that nothing is going to top it.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Swagger Dagger posted:

Today I discovered that, per his podcast, Bill Simmons believes that the Grizzlies fans got quiet and tense when their team fell behind in game three against the Spurs because the city is still dealing with feelings instilled by the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

What the gently caress!? I don't even know how he came to that conclusion.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BasicFunk posted:

What the gently caress!? I don't even know how he came to that conclusion.

I'm pretty sure Bill Simmons is aware of the MLK assassination because it was a key plot point on an episode of Mad Men this season.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I really really liked Max Kellerman on Around the Horn. Plus I like boxing so I liked when he'd talk about it

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I know in the internet explosion that has happened since Malarchuk's injury, we've become somewhat desensitized. I still can't watch it over again. Saw it once and if I can help it, that will be the only time.

I was actually one of the first people to post that clip to the internet, I had the game on VHS...so, sorry?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kalli posted:

The good news is, he's excellent on Highly Questionable and probably the most enjoyable panelist they put on Around the Horn.

Seriously, Highly Questionable is somehow the most enjoyable show ESPN has these days. Just Bomani, Dan LeBetard and his dad sitting at a table chilling about sports topics.

Also, his old SBNation series on youtube is quite solid as well, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9IRJ6FHF0

Definitely digging HQ, but I enjoyed it most when he goes off on sports stuff. That one podcast dedicated to Bobby Petrino was art. I'm glad that he's getting paid and getting airtime, but I'll miss the uncensored sports commentary.

Niwrad posted:

Bomani Jones is such a weird guy. He seems intelligent and can really breakdown a sports topic, but his Twitter feed was like an angsty 14 year old.

Yeah, he's quick to get in on those flame wars. That said, he's got loads of dumb sports fans serving bad opinions with a side of thinly-veiled racism every day so I'm kinda surprised he isn't more of a jerk.

Mildly related: I hate Woody Paige and I hate the tubby little dipshits out there who look up to him.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

soggybagel posted:

I really really liked Max Kellerman on Around the Horn.

I agree; I miss him on TV. Tying it back to journalism, y'all should read Gary Smith's excellent piece on the death of Sam Kellerman.

soggybagel posted:

Plus I like boxing

Good God why

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sba posted:

I was actually one of the first people to post that clip to the internet, I had the game on VHS...so, sorry?

I never saw it on the internet. I also recorded it on VHS out of morbid teen curiosity. Recorded it and never watched it again.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

soggybagel posted:

I really really liked Max Kellerman on Around the Horn. Plus I like boxing so I liked when he'd talk about it

I watched Around the Horn until he left. I thought it wouldn't last without him.

What did I know :shrug:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm pretty sure Bill Simmons is aware of the MLK assassination because it was a key plot point on an episode of Mad Men this season.

Simmons has a weird history writing about stuff like that. Remember his basketball book when he'd say something like "I'm not black enough to write about this but.." and go on for paragraphs about the hall of fame or whatever? As Charles Pierce said:

Charles Pierce posted:

Oh, Lord, reading Simmons on race and/or history is like watching those guys in The Wages Of Fear drive the nitroglycerin down the mountain.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I never saw it on the internet. I also recorded it on VHS out of morbid teen curiosity. Recorded it and never watched it again.
I first saw it the night it happened on SportsCenter with my parents (yes, I stayed up late as an eight-year-old). I remember either Tom Mees or Bob Ley basically saying "Just to warn you, what you are about to see is graphic", and boy howdy were they ever right!

I was too young to figure out what was going on, but I thought my father was going to throw up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Stories like this need to die.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Do you like running? Yes? No? Whatever. Just read this piece and get back to me.

This was posted a while ago, but I just want to thank you for posting this. That's loving incredible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Stories written by Chris Broussard? I agree.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

barkingclam posted:

Simmons has a weird history writing about stuff like that. Remember his basketball book when he'd say something like "I'm not black enough to write about this but.." and go on for paragraphs about the hall of fame or whatever? As Charles Pierce said:

I think the need to immediately contextualize any sporting against an overly broad historical backdrop is Simmons' signature tic. The further he reaches from the field of play, the dumber the theories become (or maybe it just becomes more obvious).

Then again, I'd say that the compulsion to immediately put every event in historical context is an issue with pretty much every facet of media right now.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Dave Zirin actually defended Simmons

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174587/defense-bill-simmons-seriously

Ordinarily I like Dave but I disagree with him here. I also feel like he thought about this wayyyyy harder than Bill "hey, I saw The Wire, I know about race" Simmons did

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

While I am of a similar political persuasion to Zirin and enjoy his writing in small doses (mostly because I prefer hockey, and he essentially ignored the NHL lockout--which would have been pretty interesting to see his coverage of it--because "no one cares about hockey, while people care about the NBA"), he makes it hard to like him when he follows up that defense of Bill Simmons by calling for Roy Hibbert to be suspended for Game 7 for making a "pause/no homo" joke in an interview: http://www.thenation.com/blog/174612/no-homo-no-way-suspend-roy-hibbert-game-7

(He's backtracked a bit from it, but still.)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Keith Olbermann has been signed to work TBS' postseason baseball studio show. This makes a lot of sense given his baseball knowledge:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/keith-olbermann-returning-tv-turner-562696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
In light of the recent PED baseball news, a radio station did a dumb urine testing stunt. In went wrong in the best possible way.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/june/when-staged-sports-talk-radio-urine-tests-go-wrong.html