Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Does anyone have any experience using a Livid RGB Ohm controller to work with Serato or Traktor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

dj bobby bieber posted:

NS7 values have fallen through the floor - they go for $500-600.

Its because theyre all broken and hosed like every other controller.

The s2/s4 were not designed to be used by anything more than a weekend warrior and they tear up. The ns7 has poo poo thats always torn up. The controllers are not made to last. According to the internet even the new Z2 is a total piece of poo poo, but i saw that coming based on the "quality" of other NI stuff.

I have 3 techs that are at least 5 years old each. Yea, they break, but i can fix them, and theyve broken maybe 10? times out other 500+ times ive played.(then just instant double with the working deck)

Something to think about if you want to do this is any professional capacity(ie, you cant just not play if your gear is broken)

And the ladies love my turntables. Hell, ive walked up to a bar/club manager and said "hey man ,need a dj? i hear youve had lovely luck with laptop DJs, i use techs!" "ok youre hired"

It was that easy. Dont underestimate the SINGLE MOST VISIBLE AND MEMORABLE PART OF BEING A MOTHER loving DJ!!

edit: and i forgot another thing, this other club i play at has 3 floors, and all of us use TTs, and the DJs that hang here use techs for the most part. Now do you want to be the fuckin chump that has to carry out a gay rear end little midi controller under your arm when we are all regaling tales of turntables? No.

Just get some turntables and be done with it.

oredun fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 29, 2013

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Speaking of club poo poo, has anyone been on the Sixty Two? That thing is a dream.

LISTEN TO ME
Jun 1, 2006

Crispy Chicken Slamwich

oredun posted:

Just get some turntables and be done with it.

You know, this is a little buttheaded, but you still make some good points, and honestly, I'm going back to turntables, despite how much I like my S4.

Commas.

LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 30, 2013

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I've used the 62 a few times but I like my 57 a lot better. I also use an X1 and dicers when I play so I didnt really use most of the features on the 62.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Got a chance to play around with a DB:2 a little, also talked to a rep. Looks like a great mixer and the price is very reasonable at $1500. If anyone has questions I can chime in, I spent a good half hour asking questions and the rep answered all of them pretty well. If you're in the market for a new mixer I really really suggest looking at the DB2 before deciding on the 92 or the nexus 900.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I've gone from wax to digital to CDs then back to wax and it all sucks and has many many ways of loving up. I don't play out much anymore (by choice hahaha).

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Real DJs mix live bands with a complex system of weights and pulleys. :colbert:

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

The huge EDM dudes who just show up with a memory stick have it the best, they know their gear is gonna work and the new CDJs are awesome. Everyone else is basically hosed, whatever gear you have is going to be a pain at some point. I love turntables and would vote for those too but gigging out with them is such a pain, especially if you're using the club's gear. I treat the poo poo right, how come the other DJs can't :(

Also turntables are way cooler than anything else up until you're Richie Hawtin status

dj bobby bieber posted:

Speaking of club poo poo, has anyone been on the Sixty Two? That thing is a dream.

I kind of hate this mixer, my regular spot has the four channel version. The 2 USB ports are a dream but I'd probably rather have an SL4 and a DJM800 if it's all the same.

The cue point buttons are weird and hard instead of sticky like MPC pads, there are way too many loving buttons, and the thing is crazy bright for no real reason. Also the per-channel levels are like, five tiny LEDs each, it makes reading them kind of difficult. The first cue button is already broken (it's a club mixer so of course it is) on one of the decks too. It's definitely not the worst mixer in the world and it's an improvement from the 57 but in my experience it's not a dream. I'd probably like it much more if I had one at home though, I did spend the first hour of a gig trying to figure the thing out when it showed up.

Muck and Mire fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 31, 2013

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I know this sounds like lazy bullshit but i have played out with turntables for 10+ years, hosed around with CDJs, tried out various Serato/Traktor controller options, and Traktor DJ on an iPad 4 is the best DJ interface I have ever used. All the tedium of being a DJ is completely removed. I can play music and am free to actively gently caress with it without spending any time digging thru crates or cueing up songs. My mixes are so much more involved and performative now, especially using the slicer to chop things up on the fly. I can do all the poo poo that used to require running doubles with one track and have another running underneath it at the same time, even chop them both up simultaneously. If i am running two songs on top of each other and one ends I can have the next song cued up in a few seconds. Plus it sounds great when plugged into a club system, nearly indistinguishable from using real records or an expensive interface.

Of course it has some limitations - ideally I would have one turntable for scratching and a Maschine or MPC running on the side for samples/live drumming, and it does suck to not be able to pitch things up and down, but using a touch interface is incredibly liberating and more performative than anything I have ever used before. I'm almost unable to listen to one song at a time now, even at home. It's a delightful thing to use, and solves nearly every single problem I have ever had as a professional DJ. My next purchase will be some sort of Bluetooth audio interface so I can play unplugged and walk around/dance during my sets. After that, I really want a Maschine.

To be honest, I quit being a DJ because it got boring, but now it's not boring anymore, and I don't need to spend nearly as much time prepping as I used to.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

dj bobby bieber posted:

Feels cheap, the 57 was WAY better.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Muck and Mire posted:

I kind of hate this mixer, my regular spot has the four channel version. The 2 USB ports are a dream but I'd probably rather have an SL4 and a DJM800 if it's all the same.

The cue point buttons are weird and hard instead of sticky like MPC pads, there are way too many loving buttons, and the thing is crazy bright for no real reason. Also the per-channel levels are like, five tiny LEDs each, it makes reading them kind of difficult. The first cue button is already broken (it's a club mixer so of course it is) on one of the decks too. It's definitely not the worst mixer in the world and it's an improvement from the 57 but in my experience it's not a dream. I'd probably like it much more if I had one at home though, I did spend the first hour of a gig trying to figure the thing out when it showed up.

Yeah, I was a little overwhelmed by all the stuff on it, but after about 45 minutes or so I was dialed in and comfortable with it. Might be my next but I'm not sure if I want to drop that much money on a mixer for home

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

bad day posted:

My next purchase will be some sort of Bluetooth audio interface so I can play unplugged and walk around/dance during my sets.

I have done this with a bluetooth speaker. It's fun for exactly the reason you say, but it has huge lag issues. As long as you don't depend on immediate aural feedback it's great though.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Dessert Rose posted:

I have done this with a bluetooth speaker. It's fun for exactly the reason you say, but it has huge lag issues. As long as you don't depend on immediate aural feedback it's great though.

Yeah I tried this on a bluetooth speaker at a party and had some lag - enough to make drumming in the slicer undoable but not bad enough to affect mixing. I assumed it was because of the cheap speaker but if its a problem with Bluetooth itself i might not bother with it.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
My Vestax vci-380 is small, does the job and is not made of poop and plastic. I highly recommend it and I'm sure their 4 deck controller is pretty good too, but with that one you'll have to pay to use the new Serato DJ software. The SSX looks cool but how do you even move that thing?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQaEWVYuyXU

:stare:
:staredog:
:catstare:

That is intimidating CDJ work. I love this set.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Solus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQaEWVYuyXU

:stare:
:staredog:
:catstare:

That is intimidating CDJ work. I love this set.

Holy poo poo. That was beautiful. How does that video only have 240k views??

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Muck and Mire posted:

They addressed the 68's button problems on the 62. I think they used a different material and construction for it.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
This took too little effort to call it a remix but... It's my new favorite song.

Beez In The Trap x High For This

http://soundcloud.com/insuffleupagus/high-in-the-trap-50-50-edit

LISTEN TO ME
Jun 1, 2006

Crispy Chicken Slamwich

bad day posted:

This took too little effort to call it a remix but... It's my new favorite song.

Beez In The Trap x High For This

http://soundcloud.com/insuffleupagus/high-in-the-trap-50-50-edit

No offense, but the vocals just smashed on top of each other are really terrible.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Zero-effort mashups? I'm in! (Those two tracks are really fun to overlap and play with in Traktor. I'm sure someone could edit a pretty nice track out of them.)

Also, I recently picked up Logitech's Bluetooth speaker adapter for potentially DJing house parties on my iPhone. It's not going to work for me due to a couple of problems. The first problem one is that not only is there input lag, but the lag is variable. I can see this not really being a problem with some genres but for hip-hop it just doesn't cut it. Secondly, even with a quality adapter (I don't think it'll get much better than Logitech) there's still random skipping sometimes while playing a song.

And as far as Traktor iPad/iPhone, is there a way for those apps to deal with songs that have a variable tempo? It seems that for some older songs the tempo wavers and the app will inevitably get lost. If I want to mix in or out of a variable tempo track, is my only real option to fade out and then start the next song?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Last night, I got paid to DJ for the first time ever (and 3rd time playing out somewhere that's not a living room). :feelsgood:

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

LISTEN TO ME posted:

No offense, but the vocals just smashed on top of each other are really terrible.

It's a matter of taste, but my favorite thing about going to festivals like Bonnaroo was always standing between two stages and listening to completely different types of music overlap and clash with each other. It's like when you are driving long-distance and start getting out of range of one radio station and another one starts interfering with it. Not for everyone, though. Plus I'm really ADD.

I tried looping instrumental parts of these songs and alternating between them but it just sounded contrived. Here's one that's a vocal with an instrumental, though.

A$AP Rocky - fashion killa + XXXTRAKT - higher

http://soundcloud.com/insuffleupagus/highered-killa-a-ap-x-xxxtrakt

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

bad day posted:

It's a matter of taste, but my favorite thing about going to festivals like Bonnaroo was always standing between two stages and listening to completely different types of music overlap and clash with each other. It's like when you are driving long-distance and start getting out of range of one radio station and another one starts interfering with it. Not for everyone, though. Plus I'm really ADD.

I tried looping instrumental parts of these songs and alternating between them but it just sounded contrived. Here's one that's a vocal with an instrumental, though.

A$AP Rocky - fashion killa + XXXTRAKT - higher

http://soundcloud.com/insuffleupagus/highered-killa-a-ap-x-xxxtrakt

The clashing vocals sounds pretty bad in the original.

The 2nd one is way worse in just about every way. You cant hear the vocals at all, its mixed poorly, it just sounds like a mish mash of noise.

oredun fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 3, 2013

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
No effort mashups you say? https://soundcloud.com/weyland-nz/test-mix-please-ignore

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
WELL

After those previous examples, how about some extra effort bootlegs to cleanse the palate? The first one I finished tonight and the other 2 I posted previously in the PHIZ dj mix thread. For some reason I've been on a 90's diva kick. Weird.

https://soundcloud.com/djcounterstrike/finally-2013
CeCe Peniston x Juventa - Finally 2013

https://soundcloud.com/djcounterstrike/rhythm-of-the-night
Corona x Avicii x Nicky Romero x Syn Cole - Rhythm of the Night

https://soundcloud.com/djcounterstrike/turn-it-up-4-my-people
Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike, GTA feat Missy Elliott - Turn It Up 4 My People

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
how about this one
http://soundcloud.com/rapdotcom/i-love-life

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

I really like this one, but it starts getting confusing around 1:20.

This one you did is clever too http://soundcloud.com/rapdotcom/an-old-gem

Can't say I care for those progressive house mixes at all, though.. Sorry, TheWevel it's an awful genre.

edit: Here's a pretty cool :effort: NKOTB remix my buddy LZRKMMNDR did https://soundcloud.com/lzrkmmndr/nkotb-now-or-never-lzrkmmndr

Also I'm in love with this Wale remix by Mike Gip https://soundcloud.com/mikegipofficial/bad-mike-gip-remix

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 4, 2013

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

TheWevel posted:

WELL

After those previous examples, how about some extra effort bootlegs to cleanse the palate? The first one I finished tonight and the other 2 I posted previously in the PHIZ dj mix thread. For some reason I've been on a 90's diva kick. Weird.

https://soundcloud.com/djcounterstrike/finally-2013
CeCe Peniston x Juventa - Finally 2013

https://soundcloud.com/djcounterstrike/rhythm-of-the-night
Corona x Avicii x Nicky Romero x Syn Cole - Rhythm of the Night

https://soundcloud.com/djcounterstrike/turn-it-up-4-my-people
Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike, GTA feat Missy Elliott - Turn It Up 4 My People

These are straight loving fire. I like the 2nd one the best, but i think the first one might work the best on the dancefloor. Fire.

Eh, might want to try that one again, the point of a mashup is to make two songs better, not worse.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Is there any guide to mixing deep/tech house music? I've been doing it unseriously on my traktor s2 for a while now and I would like to know how much of what I a doing is correct. Don't get me wrong I've read stuff, but mostly all I'm doing is matching the bpm, trying to match similar sounding songs to each other, playing a little bit with the scratching/sample feature, putting one song's kicks in another song, but I am not sure what I am doing right. Any tips from you guys are welcome as well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sooooooo this is happening at the end of the month... :fap:

A friend of mine decided he wanted to put an evening on as the usual music selection here in town isn't great. I've got to finish off this dirty great big 25hz folded horn sub I've been working on so there'll be a pair and knock up a couple more tops so we can roll deep with decent sound. The first sub is sick, the second one is just going to be icing on a very high quality cake.

...and I have to put together a set too. Busy.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

oredun posted:

The 2nd one is way worse in just about every way. You cant hear the vocals at all, its mixed poorly, it just sounds like a mish mash of noise.

I sent it to CJ Milli and she says she's into it so I guess you guys just like different music?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

bad day posted:

I sent it to CJ Milli and she says she's into it so I guess you guys just like different music?

The guy you quoted is right it sounds pretty crap. The electronic buzz clouds everything

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Last night, I happened to be in the right place at the right time, a DJ cancelled, and I had my gear with me.

An hour later I was playing my first actual club. I didn't expect to get paid, and the place was nearly empty, so I was just enjoying hearing my music on good speakers for once. But I did get a couple people dancing once or twice, and someone came up to me and asked what song I was playing, and enthusiastically told me I was "killing him".

Afterwards, it ended up that we did get paid! Thirteen whole dollars! After I count what I paid for my drinks, that comes out to a final profit of $1.

Which is still the first time I've ever gotten paid to play music. In an actual public venue.

:woop::woop:

They asked for my mixcloud and it sounded like they may invite me back sometime. I love my life so much right now.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

oredun posted:

These are straight loving fire. I like the 2nd one the best, but i think the first one might work the best on the dancefloor. Fire.

Thanks... one of my friends played an early version of the Missy Elliott track and said it killed but I haven't actually gotten a chance to play any of these out yet.

edit: here's 2 other ones I made 6 months ago that I never posted on SA...not really bootlegs, but blends (I was still teaching myself how to use Logic)-

https://soundcloud.com/djcounterstrike/wolfgang-gartner-vs-j-cole
Wolfgang Gartner vs. J. Cole - Can't Get Enough of the Way It Was

https://soundcloud.com/djcounterstrike/madeon-vs-bob-icarus-still-in
Madeon vs BOB (ft TI) - Icarus Still In This Bitch

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 5, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Dessert Rose posted:

Last night, I happened to be in the right place at the right time, a DJ cancelled, and I had my gear with me.

An hour later I was playing my first actual club. I didn't expect to get paid, and the place was nearly empty, so I was just enjoying hearing my music on good speakers for once. But I did get a couple people dancing once or twice, and someone came up to me and asked what song I was playing, and enthusiastically told me I was "killing him".

Afterwards, it ended up that we did get paid! Thirteen whole dollars! After I count what I paid for my drinks, that comes out to a final profit of $1.

Which is still the first time I've ever gotten paid to play music. In an actual public venue.

:woop::woop:

They asked for my mixcloud and it sounded like they may invite me back sometime. I love my life so much right now.

Whats your mixcloud and were you playing any music you produced?

LISTEN TO ME
Jun 1, 2006

Crispy Chicken Slamwich

bad day posted:

Who is CJ Milli? I mean, I know who she is, but who is she to use as justification for your tracks? She's for the most part just a blogger, dawg. A blogger who begs people on Facebook to help pay for her hosting at that. Maybe you should just accept some criticism instead of being like "well, this person likes it, so it's ok"

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Nice username/post combo :v:

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

oredun posted:

Eh, might want to try that one again, the point of a mashup is to make two songs better, not worse.

:d*mn:

ah yes back to the labe **walks down stairs behind couch**

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Huh, I didn't know CJ milli was a woman.

But yeah, she was probably just being polite to you dude.