Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

lechunnel posted:

This game confuses the gently caress out of me. I tried Googling for an answer to my beginner's question but failed:

Someone - one of my vassals - has declared war on me, so I round up the troops and besiege all the provinces in their duchy. Now each one of those areas has solid (not dotted) red diagonal lines across it, and is listed as being 'Occupied' by me. Now what? I understand the idea of fabricating CB in order to justifying declaring war, but I fail to get how to claim someone's lands once I've murdered their armies and successfully besieged their lands.

Usually I play diplomatically in these games but this brings out the tyrant within.

Offer peace and "enforce demands" the war will end and the vassel will be in your prison, if you want their land you should be able to revoke one of their titles penalty free since they are a traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

DrSunshine posted:

That's the darndest thing! I haven't changed the interface one bit.

Hmmm.. Well I've been trying to alter Iceland for a couple hours now, and even though I had been basically doing what that guide said to do anyway, it always crashed at loading graphics so I assumed I was doing it wrong. I just tested an extremely inconsequential border alteration (like 5 pixels) and it still crashes. I think somethings been changed about the way the game handles the map.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lechunnel posted:

This game confuses the gently caress out of me. I tried Googling for an answer to my beginner's question but failed:

Someone - one of my vassals - has declared war on me, so I round up the troops and besiege all the provinces in their duchy. Now each one of those areas has solid (not dotted) red diagonal lines across it, and is listed as being 'Occupied' by me. Now what? I understand the idea of fabricating CB in order to justifying declaring war, but I fail to get how to claim someone's lands once I've murdered their armies and successfully besieged their lands.

Usually I play diplomatically in these games but this brings out the tyrant within.

There should be a little icon in the corner showing the target's icon with a percentage beneath it. That percentage is the "warscore" which you raise through battles and occupation. If it's 100% go to diplomacy (right-click on the portrait) and hit "offer peace" with the "enforce demands" option. If it's not 100%, then you're missing something- see if there's anywhere else you're at war with.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Schizotek posted:

Hmmm.. Well I've been trying to alter Iceland for a couple hours now, and even though I had been basically doing what that guide said to do anyway, it always crashed at loading graphics so I assumed I was doing it wrong. I just tested an extremely inconsequential border alteration (like 5 pixels) and it still crashes. I think somethings been changed about the way the game handles the map.

Are you just altering provinces.bmp? Are you changing the shoreline at all? Rivers, topology, forests?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I just tested opening it, doing nothing, and saving it. Still crashes. Is it something to do with being on a Mac perhaps?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Schizotek posted:

I just tested opening it, doing nothing, and saving it. Still crashes. Is it something to do with being on a Mac perhaps?

What program are you using to edit it? Are you saving it as a 24-bit .bmp? Also, if the option comes up in the save, do not write color space information. That fucks it all up for some reason.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

Turn flatmap back on?

It's some thing in the settings.txt, can't remember what. Probably draw_water.

where is the settings.txt?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

meatbag posted:

I had two sons, both went off to fight in the Varangian guard. The older came home more skilled and wiser.

The younger came home castrated and blinded.

Time to burn Constantinople :black101:

My son came back from the Varangian Guard a seasoned, badass warrior, but also completely insane. He'd seen some poo poo in the 'zantine, man.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Playing as the King of combined Italy/Lotharingia/Aquitaine/Burgundy, vikings keep dropping off less than a thousand men in my Dutch territories, sitting in front of the castle they don't have enough men to siege for a couple of days, and then leaving. I am unimpressed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrabbinPeels posted:

Playing as the King of combined Italy/Lotharingia/Aquitaine/Burgundy, vikings keep dropping off less than a thousand men in my Dutch territories, sitting in front of the castle they don't have enough men to siege for a couple of days, and then leaving. I am unimpressed.

They don't need to, man; they're just there for the easy loot that isn't secured by castle fortifications. What pillagers like are counties with Cities as their capitals. Easy to siege, big money inside.

Paradox, please make a mapmode that shows what type of holding is the capital of a county, so I can maximize my looting efficiency!

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

What program are you using to edit it? Are you saving it as a 24-bit .bmp? Also, if the option comes up in the save, do not write color space information. That fucks it all up for some reason.

"Paintbrush" for mac. Somehow even worse than MSPaint. I'll get a hold of photoshop sometime today I guess. Give it a go then. I guess until then I can spend some time nerfing the norse/offensive pagans as a whole. How am I supposed to conquer christiandom when the loving danes/dublin/jorvik have already done it?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Lord Lambeth posted:

where is the settings.txt?

Should be in Documents->Paradox Interactive->Crusader Kings II

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Schizotek posted:

"Paintbrush" for mac. Somehow even worse than MSPaint. I'll get a hold of photoshop sometime today I guess. Give it a go then. I guess until then I can spend some time nerfing the norse/offensive pagans as a whole. How am I supposed to conquer christiandom when the loving danes/dublin/jorvik have already done it?

Does GIMP work for Mac? I tend to use that program when I can.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SpRahl posted:

You can force vassals to convert to your religion if they like you and can change you succession laws to Primogeniture or Elective. Probably some other stuff I havent done it yet.

It also makes Norse characters/provinces less susceptible to conversion, as well as increasing the chances of your being able to convert provinces.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
As the Byzantines do I need to do anything special after creating the Varangian Guard? I just see the event and nothing else.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
So I started my first game as king of denmark. 30 years later, I have no idea what I am doing, but I have managed to conquer atleast two territories. Is there a way to engage in a personal-union ala the Kalmar Union?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Doink9731 posted:

As the Byzantines do I need to do anything special after creating the Varangian Guard? I just see the event and nothing else.

They show up in the mercenaries list.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

There are 4 events that set off the cthulhu chain

each has a base average months to happen of 1000

multiplied by 100 if you are not a lunatic.

so a non lunatic has a 4/100000 or 1/25000 chance of getting it in any given month
a lunatic 1/250.

And then you were right, and it is cthulhu ramming time.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Holy Hell starting as a pagan norse in 1066 is a whole' nother ball game. Almost no allies, Catholics holy war like no one's business, your holy sites are entirely locked down, England is fun to raid but the kingdoms are united enough to really gently caress up your raiders.

It's like playing a Catholic in 866

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Does GIMP work for Mac? I tend to use that program when I can.

Downloaded gimp. Tested. Still crashes. I hate macs.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

DrSunshine posted:

I've been trying to update my Sonendar mod to the latest patch version. It loads fine up till "Loading graphics", then it crashes. Does anyone have any clues as to why?

I know two things

1) Default.map has new entries
2) Sengoku still crashes for me right when it is supposed to show me the main menu

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Riso posted:

I know two things

1) Default.map has new entries
2) Sengoku still crashes for me right when it is supposed to show me the main menu

The significant change I've seen in default.map is the addition of "major_rivers= { ... }". Since Sonendar (and Sengoku, come to think of it) has no major rivers, I've just added the line in with no entries.

Another difference is adjacencies.csv. The formatting has changed to:

code:
From;To;Type;Through;-1;-1;-1;-1;Comment
Now, I've changed both of these things in my mod, but it still crashes on "loading graphics" just as it's supposed to show the main menu, as it does for you. It does this after it does all the stuff, like "loading textures", "loading rivers", "calculating naval ranges", etc.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Why does my gay marshal lover have a -10 Liege is Homosexual modifier? :psyduck:

I mean it's balanced out by the attraction to homosexual thing, but still.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rejected Fate posted:

Why does my gay marshal lover have a -10 Liege is Homosexual modifier? :psyduck:

I mean it's balanced out by the attraction to homosexual thing, but still.

Self-hating homophobia?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'll ask again, because I'm damned confused and could use an answer. I prepared an invasion against the Queen of Germany (I thought it was a Great Holy War but apparently not as they're not available until 1100 and I'm still unsure of the difference). I wanted to invade Brunswick to get that last Norse holy site, but my only allowed targets were Frisia and Hungary. Any reason why this should be the case? Standard Holy Wars are still available for the other areas (I'm reformed) but using them would have cost me all the independent adventurers who turned up to help.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ThomasPaine posted:

I'll ask again, because I'm damned confused and could use an answer. I prepared an invasion against the Queen of Germany (I thought it was a Great Holy War but apparently not as they're not available until 1100 and I'm still unsure of the difference). I wanted to invade Brunswick to get that last Norse holy site, but my only allowed targets were Frisia and Hungary. Any reason why this should be the case? Standard Holy Wars are still available for the other areas (I'm reformed) but using them would have cost me all the independent adventurers who turned up to help.

Prepared Invasions can only target titles that control between 9 and 40 provinces. Maybe Brunswick has fewer than 9 provinces.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 30, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

JerikTelorian posted:

What's the purpose of Reforming the Norse Religion? What do you get from it?

A) In 1100 you (well, whoever the Fylking is, but if you're the one reforming the faith it's probably you) can call Great Holy Wars, the Norse version of Crusades.

B) You can have real, grown-up Crown Authority and Inheritance Laws.

C) the Norse faith becomes much more resistant to conversion by outside forces - an unreformed Pagan faith is easier for a Chaplain to convert.

D) You get to be the Fylking, which is basically the Norse Pope, plus you're still a regular old King at the same time. Appeasing your religious head is a lot easier when your religious head is you.

E) Bragging rights. Plus a metric fuckton of Prestige.

F) You can call Holy Wars against non-Norse people, so that you can grab duchies in a war instead of having to go one province at a time.

G) Did I mention the part about not being stuck with Gavelkind anymore? Because that's pretty awesome.

H) You keep almost all of the awesomeness of pre-reformation Norse religion and lose almost nothing worthwhile(you lose the ability to raise Runestones, I believe, more's the pity). You will have vassals bitching about you raising their troops, but that's balanced out by not having to sweat it if you go for too long without warring.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
So Gavelkind giving the lions share of your titles to your second son rather than your heir is a bug right? Because its pretty loving stupid.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pakled posted:

Prepared Invasions can only target titles that control between 9 and 40 provinces. Maybe Brunswick has fewer than 9 provinces.

Ah, I see. Would that be de facto or De Jure? Because I'm sure Frisia had less than 9 provinces too.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

SpRahl posted:

So Gavelkind giving the lions share of your titles to your second son rather than your heir is a bug right? Because its pretty loving stupid.

I think this is to do with the various levels of titles: if you have two sons, a kingdom and three provinces I figure it gives him the extra one to balance out, y'know, you being King.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SpRahl posted:

It divides your holdings amongst all eligible heirs, with your primary title going to the oldest heir. Probably the extra stuff goes to the oldest also if things don't divide up evenly. It is a real-world thing; it reduces the chances that the oldest son gets murdered by his younger brothers as soon as they are old enough to realize how inheritance works.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 30, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Are counselors spreading tech supposed to go in the territory tech spreads from or to?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

withak posted:

It divides your holdings amongst all eligible heirs, with your primary title going to the oldest heir. Probably the extra stuff goes to the oldest also if things don't divide up evenly.
Yeah the extra stuff ( at least before) was supposed to go to your oldest, now however the extra titles are going to the other son/s

Obliterati posted:

I think this is to do with the various levels of titles: if you have two sons, a kingdom and three provinces I figure it gives him the extra one to balance out, y'know, you being King.

It might be that I have three counties and a petty kingdom. 2 sons, oldest is getting one county and the petty kingdom the other is getting two counties.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

StashAugustine posted:

Are counselors spreading tech supposed to go in the territory tech spreads from or to?

Spreads to, I think.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SpRahl posted:

Yeah, it's hosed up at the moment. I had a game where I had a bunch of sons, but only the first two got anything, and the second one is the one who got all but one lovely province and the king title.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The capturing of Nobles' wives and kids during battles/sieges/raids is a new thing right? Dragging sleeping countesses from their beds and sacrificing them to Odin is so loving amazing

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Really I would kill for some sort of Last Will and Testament mechanic that worked such that when your character dies (or even before) you are called upon to parcel out inheritances for your heirs, with succession wars if your heirs don't agree to the terms of your will.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Reveilled posted:

Really I would kill for some sort of Last Will and Testament mechanic that worked such that when your character dies (or even before) you are called upon to parcel out inheritances for your heirs, with succession wars if your heirs don't agree to the terms of your will.
This would basically be a cheat mode.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, I suggested this earlier in the thread. I don't think it would be too hard to implement, really. Just have a function where you can allocate a successor to each title in the same way you would a bishop under free investiture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

This would basically be a cheat mode.

I think it would be nice if you could pick which counties a son inherited in gavelkind, but not necessarily how many.

• Locked thread