Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Really I would kill for some sort of Last Will and Testament mechanic that worked such that when your character dies (or even before) you are called upon to parcel out inheritances for your heirs, with succession wars if your heirs don't agree to the terms of your will.

NihilCredo posted:

This would basically be a cheat mode.

Properly implemented it wouldn't be; there's all sorts of awesome poo poo you could do. Heirs could plot to fabricate a new document, factions would spring up claiming that your last words were different, and it would be total carnage. It's not any more broken or unrealistic than "murder all but the best son". Do you think Tanistry is a cheat mode?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrakadaver
May 1, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

Properly implemented it wouldn't be; there's all sorts of awesome poo poo you could do. Heirs could plot to fabricate a new document, factions would spring up claiming that your last words were different, and it would be total carnage. It's not any more broken or unrealistic than "murder all but the best son". Do you think Tanistry is a cheat mode?

I do kinda love the idea of fabricating a Will and having options of what you want to try and include in it, perhaps with variable plot power depending on the number of conditions you want to add to it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Spreads to, I think.

Just checked it, and yeah, it's spread to. Welp, just spent the past 100 years or so researching useless tech.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
This is really going my way. I've formed the empire of Scandinavia and I've been saccing Genoa, all of France, most of Spain and the countries in the north of France and Germany. Also having fun in Russia. Balticum is all mine, and so is Kola.

My demesne is far too big though, I guess I should be doing something about it, but it's too much fun to loot, pillage and kill of my family and all missionaries coming to try to get people away from the one true faith, Norse!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
My Norse game is pretty special. Here's the reformer, Ivar's granddaughter:

I guess the reformed Norse faith shall be pretty feminist? Especially considering that the Norse-Popette's entire family - all living dynasty of Ivar the Boneless - are women:

Ok, later I did have a son. Here's the sole male member of the dynasty so far:

His two sisters are quick as is his mother.

Bonus image: perhaps Russia will be formed as a mercenary band in this timeline. Kiev and almost all other Russian lands are divided between Suomenusko ja Norse pagans, and this guy seems to be the sole Russian Orthodox ruler on the map:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I want to start a custom ruler Thorgenics program to create a dynasty of genius berserkers. However, I prefer my genetic Wunderkind be legitimate, rather than legitimized bastards. Is sibling marriage possible, or only "giving a good tumble" on the down low?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

H) You keep almost all of the awesomeness of pre-reformation Norse religion and lose almost nothing worthwhile(you lose the ability to raise Runestones, I believe, more's the pity). You will have vassals bitching about you raising their troops, but that's balanced out by not having to sweat it if you go for too long without warring.

You'll still have the ability to raise runestones, but only until 1150, whether you reform or not.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Annath posted:

I want to start a custom ruler Thorgenics program to create a dynasty of genius berserkers. However, I prefer my genetic Wunderkind be legitimate, rather than legitimized bastards. Is sibling marriage possible, or only "giving a good tumble" on the down low?

There is a way to mod the game to permit sibling marriage, as it was added for the AGoT mod, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.

Keep in mind that the inbred penalty is probably going to cause some issues for your superwarriors.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Compared to how it works now of assassinating or temple-ing other heirs?

A Will successio. mode would be really fun imo. You could give heirs titles or money and that would interact with their traits to tell how satisfied they are the deal they get. A content son might be happy with 200 gold, an ambitious one will need some duchies, while other traits like jealous just wants more than their siblings, a zealous one is content being made a priest, etc. Vassel spymasters or sons could try and steal a copy of the will from your council seer/priests etc. You might get some internal subterfuge resulting from the will prior to your death , but the real show will come about after you die. Heirs that feel shorted may try and rally Lords against the heirs, or bribe the priest to make some midnight edits, or leave on an adventure to make their own kingdom, etc etc.

I think it'd be a lot more fun and interesting than the current succession styles.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Annath posted:

Easiest way is to just open the console and type marry_anyone though I believe you need to do this any time you load a game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've reformed the Norse faith with my starting leader - he's in his 50s by now - and have got a little Retinue together and gently caress me, this is unbalanced.
My retinue can just go from County to County, taking over everything in sight as long as I remember to declare a Conquest war in between. Ireland is mine...

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I'm kinda weirded out at how cruel I am to people when I play as a Viking.

I mean really, raping and pillaging all of Europe, abducting and concubining women, impaling and hanging men (including my own brothers every succession...).

I wasn't even this cruel when I was a Byzantine Emperor.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I thought you got to keep runestones even if you reformed, at least that is what someone posted earlier in the thread.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NihilCredo posted:

How do you figure? I didn't exactly post a fully fleshed out design document there, that's a pretty sweeping statement to say that a feature that allowed you some influence in how your realm would be divided would be a cheat mode regardless of its implementation.

I mean, here's some ideas off the top of my head:
Upon succession, you are expected to divide up your holdings and titles according to your succession law, with some leeway (maybe for gavelkind you have tolerances of no more than double the fair share and no less than half the fair share, while for primogeniture you could give some small holdings like baronies to younger sons). Then a copy of the will is sent to all heirs who can accept or reject the terms of the will. If everyone accepts, the succession goes through, if anyone objects a succession war begins and every vassal decides which heir they like the most and supports their side (enforcers vs objectors) in the succession war. So the more heirs that reject the will, the bigger the succession war is.

A will system would also allow you to pick your next character; maybe you are operating under primogeniture but would prefer to continue playing as your second son, well there could be an option on the screen for "continue as this character" (assuming that character is playable since his elder brother is getting all your old land). Then you could start plotting to steal the throne off your elder brother.

It would also give you some scope to break the normal succession rules if you were willing to risk a massive civil war over it. That'd allow for situations like Empress Matilda of England, who was declared her Father's heir but then overthrown in the Anarchy because the nobles of England would not accept her succession.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

kingturnip posted:

I've reformed the Norse faith with my starting leader - he's in his 50s by now - and have got a little Retinue together and gently caress me, this is unbalanced.
My retinue can just go from County to County, taking over everything in sight as long as I remember to declare a Conquest war in between. Ireland is mine...

Yeah, Ireland is perfect for expansion and re-paganing. And they have a shitloads of troops to raise as well for some reason.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

JerikTelorian posted:

There is a way to mod the game to permit sibling marriage, as it was added for the AGoT mod, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.

Keep in mind that the inbred penalty is probably going to cause some issues for your superwarriors.

That's why you don't commit 100% to incest or otherwise, a careful blend of traits is needed! :eng101:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
I'm working on compiling a series of basic fixes/tweaks as a stopgap until CK2+ updates. So far I have:

-Female Seers can do their jobs
-Aztecs can invade again
-Cut free Magyar troops by 20%
-Limited Magyar invasions to first 10 years

Those last two are meant to hopefully reduce SuperHungaryBlob, though I'm also considering a more extreme version where they lose the old Magyar provinces upon forming Hungary (since the invasion is meant to represent a migration).

Are there any other simple things I've overlooked, or that people might be interested in?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Josef bugman posted:

I thought you got to keep runestones even if you reformed, at least that is what someone posted earlier in the thread.

Yeah you can.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Nightblade posted:

You'll still have the ability to raise runestones, but only until 1150, whether you reform or not.
Being forced to use ink on paper instead of the clearly superior Runes on Stone after 1150 is complete bullshit. :colbert:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, what exactly are the parameters of the subjugation CB? I really need to take over Sweden to form Scandinavia, and I'm not seeing it. It has been more than ten years since I last used it, and I'm reformed.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, what exactly are the parameters of the subjugation CB? I really need to take over Sweden to form Scandinavia, and I'm not seeing it. It has been more than ten years since I last used it, and I'm reformed.

The only condition that you didn't mention that I can think of is that you can only use it on pagans.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Flame112 posted:

The only condition that you didn't mention that I can think of is that you can only use it on pagans.

I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure you can use it on the Catholics in England/Scotland at game start, anyway.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Nope, Sweden's pagan. Is there a size limit?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Beamed posted:

I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure you can use it on the Catholics in England/Scotland at game start, anyway.

You might be thinking of a Prepared Invasion or the Conquest CB; you can definitely only Subjugate other pagans. When I've fought against England/Scotland I've had to conquer provinces one at a time with the Conquest CB.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
There were times where the Subjugation CB simply wouldn't work for me for some arcane reason even though I seemed to fulfill all requirements.

e;

quote:

E: And you can't target someone who's defending in another Subjugation war.
Oh, that might explain it.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 30, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

King Hysing the Bland!

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

and I'm reformed.

Reformed pagans can't use Subjugation. If I'm reading the files correctly, you also can't subjugate reformed pagans, unless they're the reformed version of your religion.

E: And you can't target someone who's defending in another Subjugation war.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 30, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, if a use a concubine to convert back to Old Norse, I can subjugate Sweden. After that, could I reclaim to Fylkirate?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Somehow my little King of Meath got crowned the King of Jerusalem at the end of the crusade. All I did was send like 5000 troops! Somehow through a bunch of ridiculous feats of luck I ended up counting as the winner of most of the sieges over there and when it was all over the Pope decided "yup, this little Irish kingdom ought to take over Jerusalem!"

This is pretty much the end whenever the Muslims so much as look at me now. I don't have enough of anything to really rule this place. Oh well.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Does the Berserker trait make a character more likely to die/get wounded in battle?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've been goofing around with various Iceland-based starts, and I think this time I'm just going to say "gently caress it" and take over Ireland after donkey-punching my neighbor. Eventually I should look into becoming King of Norway, but it's such a pain when one other dude is already there and can summon like 8000 troops on a lark.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
On Gavelkind, is it normal that my capital province keeps getting assigned to a secondary heir? I mean, I get it that they get more, but at least the capital should stay with the primary dude, right?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pakled posted:

Does the Berserker trait make a character more likely to die/get wounded in battle?

Actually if I'm reading the battle_events.txt file correctly Berserker trait makes you immune to death, maimings and wounds in battle. You can still become incapable due to a blow to the head in battle, though. Unless there's some special death events for berserkers it's an extremely good trait for a commander, and it does correspond with IRL lore.

wikipedia posted:

[Odin’s] men went without their mailcoats and were mad as hounds or wolves, bit their shields…they slew men, but neither fire nor iron had effect upon them. This is called 'going berserk.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 30, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'm pretty sure there actually are special death/maiming events for berserkers and they're just immune from the original ones (I vaguely recall seeing them in one of the oldgods_* event files during my last file dive) but like you said it would make a certain amount of sense if they were just flat-out invulnerable in battle.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Nightblade posted:

Actually if I'm reading the battle_events.txt file correctly Berserker trait makes you immune to death, maimings and wounds in battle. You can still become incapable due to a blow in the head in battle, though. Unless there's some special death events for berserkers it's an extremely good trait for a commander, and it does correspond with IRL lore.

I've had a character die whilst having the Berserker trait.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I had an event where my berserker king killed a bunch of dudes or whatever, and then noticed he had an arrow sticking out of him, which made me wounded.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Nightblade posted:

Actually if I'm reading the battle_events.txt file correctly Berserker trait makes you immune to death, maimings and wounds in battle. You can still become incapable due to a blow in the head in battle, though. Unless there's some special death events for berserkers it's an extremely good trait for a commander, and it does correspond with IRL lore.
Berserkers just get their own set of Wounded/Maiming/Death events in another file.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Ah, yes. oldgods_various_events.txt has those events. Slightly disappointing, but I guess it would have been a bit overpowered.

Edit: It seems like the chance of death/wounds/maimings are identical for Berserkers and non-Berserkers, though.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 30, 2013

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
So apparently the new patch made an Abyssinian empire possible, but despite having all the de-jure territories and titles, I still don't get the option to create it. Is there something I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zoinker posted:

So apparently the new patch made an Abyssinian empire possible, but despite having all the de-jure territories and titles, I still don't get the option to create it. Is there something I'm missing?

Culture group?

• Locked thread