Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there something I can run in Win7 that will show me cpu, memory and network usage in the system tray or taskbar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You can use Process Explorer and select those from Options -> Tray Icons, although I think it considers all IO and not just network IO.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Tesseraction posted:

You can use Process Explorer and select those from Options -> Tray Icons, although I think it considers all IO and not just network IO.

That works, thanks!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

StickFigs posted:

I figured this would be the case. I'd rather stick with RDP if I can.

As for the router issue it's two problems. In some cases the host pc will BSOD when I'm using it through RDP and then the other, more frequent issue is that I will randomly lose my connection for anywhere between 1 second and 2 mins. No combination of RDP settings has fixed it either. My Google searches all point towards it being a router issue being caused by high data transfer rates which normally wouldnt be a problem but the ISP routers tend to be poo poo.

I will check this and LogMeIn out, thanks for the recommendations all.

EDIT: I want to remote via my home wifi network, I thought LogMeIn and maybe some of these other recommendations work via the internet? Is this true?

I think I may have the same issue you are,do you use the Comcast default router? LogMeIn kinda does the job and it is nice in that it doesnt take focus from the display attached to my desktop (remoting in from laptop). But RDP it is not, what would be the best route to troubleshoot a computer dropping from the network each time I try to RDP? It's unreachable (no ping) after an attempt to log in remotely, and going over and physically logging in brings it back online - seems that the wireless adapter is shutting off or the router is making GBS threads itself and dropping that connection after an RDP login.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think I may have the same issue you are,do you use the Comcast default router? LogMeIn kinda does the job and it is nice in that it doesnt take focus from the display attached to my desktop (remoting in from laptop). But RDP it is not, what would be the best route to troubleshoot a computer dropping from the network each time I try to RDP? It's unreachable (no ping) after an attempt to log in remotely, and going over and physically logging in brings it back online - seems that the wireless adapter is shutting off or the router is making GBS threads itself and dropping that connection after an RDP login.
This thread on technet has a few people finding and fixing the various issues; give that a whirl.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Does anyone use Bitdefender for antivirus duties? I'm thinking about switching to it from MSE.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

fookolt posted:

Does anyone use Bitdefender for antivirus duties? I'm thinking about switching to it from MSE.

Has MSE been lacking in some way for you?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Read posted:

Has MSE been lacking in some way for you?

Yeah, it missed a few trojans until I did a full scan. I'm also just curious if the alternatives out there are significantly better or not.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

fookolt posted:

Yeah, it missed a few trojans until I did a full scan. I'm also just curious if the alternatives out there are significantly better or not.

Why not schedule a full scan every night (which is pretty standard practice anyway) instead of replacing a perfectly serviceable product?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

AlexDeGruven posted:

Why not schedule a full scan every night (which is pretty standard practice anyway) instead of replacing a perfectly serviceable product?

I've done that already actually; I was just reading reviews of AV software and it seems like MSE isn't very well regarded.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

fookolt posted:

it seems like MSE isn't very well regarded.
That's a first for me. To be honest I haven't researched it thoroughly, but everyone I know, and every single goon I've read talking about it loves it, including myself. It's so unintrusive you barely feel it, and I've read at least one examination online that concluded that it's amongst the best when it comes to catching stuff.

Anyone seen the travesty that is AVG lately? Some computers at the car workshop I have access to have it installed. I was browsing, and suddenly a huge balloon tooltip popped up from the system tray from AVG. It warned me that the browser was using 179 MB of memory, which was apparently a lot. AVG's suggested solution? Close the browser application. Laughable how that once goon favorite turned to utter crap.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
It's definitely still a fave but I did read a couple articles of some standard tests where it wasn't doing as well as it used to. BitDefender Free had it beat pretty handily as far as those tests were concerned. I'll see if I can dig it up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On Windows 8, why does it take so much longer to tell you your password is wrong than if it's right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Same reason as on Linux or a fair number of other systems: discourage dictionary or other statistical attacks.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

hooah posted:

On Windows 8, why does it take so much longer to tell you your password is wrong than if it's right?

It's the same on 7/XP anyway.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EvilMuppet posted:

It's the same on 7/XP anyway.

Really? I haven't noticed it taking as long on my desktop or my wife's laptop (both 7) as my laptop.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

crestfallen posted:

It's definitely still a fave but I did read a couple articles of some standard tests where it wasn't doing as well as it used to. BitDefender Free had it beat pretty handily as far as those tests were concerned. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yeah, the stuff I've read in print media has rated it down the list, but I still have it myself and don't plan to change. It is to an acceptable level for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus. It's lightweight, doesn't bother me unless there's a problem, and doesn't slow my system down in any perceptible way. Its detection rates are pretty decent too. It's not free, though compared to the price of some other AV solutions, it's not expensive at all.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Pilsner posted:

That's a first for me. To be honest I haven't researched it thoroughly, but everyone I know, and every single goon I've read talking about it loves it, including myself. It's so unintrusive you barely feel it, and I've read at least one examination online that concluded that it's amongst the best when it comes to catching stuff.

Anyone seen the travesty that is AVG lately? Some computers at the car workshop I have access to have it installed. I was browsing, and suddenly a huge balloon tooltip popped up from the system tray from AVG. It warned me that the browser was using 179 MB of memory, which was apparently a lot. AVG's suggested solution? Close the browser application. Laughable how that once goon favorite turned to utter crap.

This is what got me looking at other things: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/novdec-2012/

Read
Dec 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus. It's lightweight, doesn't bother me unless there's a problem, and doesn't slow my system down in any perceptible way. Its detection rates are pretty decent too. It's not free, though compared to the price of some other AV solutions, it's not expensive at all.

I've heard lots and lots of good stuff about NOD32, basically that it's the best option but costs money so a lot of people go with MSE as the free alternative.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
At work we use Outlook 2010. I have access to two mailboxes, my own private one and one for my department. When I try to answer to an extern mail with my private mailbox, it works fine. When I do this from the collective one, the mail lingers in the outbox forever. The IT department claims it's a bug in Outlook 2010, which I kinda doubt, it seems more like a setting they need to change. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Could any of you fine folks recommend software that monitors processes on Windows Server 2003? We have several processes running and rarely a process stops running for some reason and I would like the software to alert me by email and preferably by text message as well if the process stops running. There are a bunch out there but I'm looking for some Goon recommendations.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
Can anyone recommend a piece of helpdesk software? I'm part of a small team that manages a website for our company. Currently all tickets come into support@company.com which is an Email list that about 4-5 people are on. Half of that team is part of the IT department and half of that is the Web (my) team. The problem we have is that the IT personnel are using TrackIT 8 to document their tickets, while my team is using nothing. We both respond to tickets directly through email instead of using the helpdesk software. This has two bad effects:
  • The IT team has to respond to emails with their solutions and then manually enter in their process/solution into TrackIT.
  • I'll spend time on a ticket and then halfway through solving it, someone else responds to the ticket and my time was wasted.
My boss and I would like to take control of this process and find a piece of software that works for us, instead of using TrackIT which the IT manager refuses to upgrade even though it would cost us nothing (it is at least 2.5 versions behind).

I've used Spiceworks a bit, which I like and seems pretty customizable, but it has a lot of features geared towards IT that my team won't need. Is there anything more geared towards web support type roles without all the inventory/network management stuff?

Edit: VVVV Yeah I'm kind of leaning towards Spiceworks, I just didn't want to jump on the first piece of software I found in case there's some gem somewhere :v:

Kumquat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 29, 2013

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Kumquat posted:

Can anyone recommend a piece of helpdesk software? I'm part of a small team that manages a website for our company. Currently all tickets come into support@company.com which is an Email list that about 4-5 people are on. Half of that team is part of the IT department and half of that is the Web (my) team. The problem we have is that the IT personnel are using TrackIT 8 to document their tickets, while my team is using nothing. We both respond to tickets directly through email instead of using the helpdesk software. This has two bad effects:
  • The IT team has to respond to emails with their solutions and then manually enter in their process/solution into TrackIT.
  • I'll spend time on a ticket and then halfway through solving it, someone else responds to the ticket and my time was wasted.
My boss and I would like to take control of this process and find a piece of software that works for us, instead of using TrackIT which the IT manager refuses to upgrade even though it would cost us nothing (it is at least 2.5 versions behind).

I've used Spiceworks a bit, which I like and seems pretty customizable, but it has a lot of features geared towards IT that my team won't need. Is there anything more geared towards web support type roles without all the inventory/network management stuff?

I really haven't come across anything that's free and beats Spiceworks. You can just ignore the inventory/network management and other features if you wish (don't set up network scanning, etc).

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So your TrackIt support maintenance contract is up to date and your manager refuses to upgrade? Why?

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
The common, though rarely spoken, opinion is that although she has extremely strong opinions about the way things should be done in IT, she has little to no technical knowledge or experience. Anything beyond that and we're in the territory of the Working in IT megathread. I'm just glad I transferred teams.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm using Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus, but my system is missing several fonts that come with the software. One of them is Gill Sans MT. It is not only missing from the drop-down list but doesn't exist in C:\Windows\Fonts at all. I'm also missing Rockwell, but useless poo poo like Jokerman is still hanging around.

I've repaired Microsoft Office several times to no avail. My installation was custom as I excluded things like Microsoft Access, but I was sure to include the selection for fonts.

What's going on?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kumquat posted:

TrackIT which the IT manager refuses to upgrade even though it would cost us nothing (it is at least 2.5 versions behind).

This manager is incompetent and should be fired, period. With no real reason to not update to a current version, this is ridiculous and potentially dangerous as security vulnerabilities exist in all software.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any reason to use a paid archival tool like WinRAR over 7zip? I honestly haven't looked at WinRAR for over 6 years so I really don't know what its like now but I figure they're not doing nearly as well today as they were in the early 2000s. Its just weird to me that people are still using it either out of habit or maybe some actual functionality?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there any reason to use a paid archival tool like WinRAR over 7zip? I honestly haven't looked at WinRAR for over 6 years so I really don't know what its like now but I figure they're not doing nearly as well today as they were in the early 2000s. Its just weird to me that people are still using it either out of habit or maybe some actual functionality?

Well, if you want to create RARs, it's of course the only game in town. It's good for certain compression scenarios. It's also an all round fairly neat tool, but 7zip is basically the only thing I would recommend to people these days. It's simple, free and extracts everything you could care about.

If they're the sort of person that knows about WinRAR, they'll get it anyway, and that's fine.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Nah, screw WinRAR. 7-Zip and Izarc can both unpack RARs, and 7z compresses really well.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

AlexDeGruven posted:

This manager is incompetent and should be fired, period. With no real reason to not update to a current version, this is ridiculous and potentially dangerous as security vulnerabilities exist in all software.

If incompetence was a reason to fire a manager half the world would be self-employed.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
At work I need to jump to 40-50 different folders on different file servers. Right now I use Favorite Links in Windows Explorer. Is there a better option? I am using Windows Vista and 7.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Someone asked earlier and I can't seem to find a response - what's the best basic VPN software? I'd like to set up a VPN where I (and possibly select friends) can just remote in and download files from my shared drives. I guess alternatively, the best FTP solution, but I think I'd prefer VPN right now.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Chaucer posted:

At work I need to jump to 40-50 different folders on different file servers. Right now I use Favorite Links in Windows Explorer. Is there a better option? I am using Windows Vista and 7.
I like explorer++. It's a standalone program or Windows Explorer replacement. Not too fancy, but very useful IMO. You can add bookmarks, or folders full of bookmarks, just like in a browser. Add opening folders in tabs on top of that, and it's really convenient for certain use cases.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Chaucer posted:

Directory Opus is customisable in almost any way you can think of, but it's not cheap

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010
Please could someone recommend some backup software to me? I need something that will allow me to backup about 500GB of files and folders (which I need to be able to specify) to an external USB 3.0 drive and, most importantly, will sync these files and folders both on demand and at regular intervals. I don't need to make a disk image or a boot disk, or anything like that - something simple and lightweight would be ideal.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Crystael posted:

Please could someone recommend some backup software to me? I need something that will allow me to backup about 500GB of files and folders (which I need to be able to specify) to an external USB 3.0 drive and, most importantly, will sync these files and folders both on demand and at regular intervals. I don't need to make a disk image or a boot disk, or anything like that - something simple and lightweight would be ideal.

Windows can do that for you by default.

http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/schedule-backup/automatic-backup-windows7.htm

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Probably not directly a Windows question, but it's a question I have about my computer running Windows. I've started using Chrome as my regular browser, and have noticed that when I start it up (with two startup tabs), it takes quite a while to display the content on those two tabs. Afterwards, everything shows pretty quickly. Is this normal, or is it just because I'm using a netbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Two questions:

1. In Outlook 2007, is there any way to set up IMAP so that if I delete a file off the server, it won't delete it from the Outlook inbox? Our mail provider only gives us around 100mb of storage server-wide, and honestly it's more than enough as long as you remember to delete your emails once in a while, but it's kind of pointless using IMAP if I can't have a physical backup of the e-mails.

I can't just move the emails to another folder because then it immediately deletes it off the server as well, which means that any device that hasn't synced yet will never get those emails.

2. I'm having an issue with file sharing in windows where I simply cannot access any shared folders. I can see them in the network, but when I try to access them it gives me a permission error even though the folders are explicitly shared with "Everyone" in the permissions settings.

This only happens with my Windows 7/8 machines. I can access shares on an XP machine just fine.

I've tried googling but I can't find any definite answers. For reference, this is the error I get:

code:
[Window Title]
Network Error

[Main Instruction]
Windows cannot access \\MACHINE\Documents

[Content]
You do not have permission to access \\MACHINE\Documents. Contact your network administrator to request access.

For more information about permissions, see Windows Help and Support

[Close]