Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Zoinker posted:

So apparently the new patch made an Abyssinian empire possible, but despite having all the de-jure territories and titles, I still don't get the option to create it. Is there something I'm missing?

code:
allow = {
		culture_group = east_african
		has_landed_title=k_egypt
		has_landed_title=k_nubia
		has_landed_title=k_abyssinia
	}
Apparently you need Egypt in addition to the de jure land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
I'm playing as the Solomonids, so Ethiopian. I can't really imagine who else should form the Abyssinian empire.

Edit:

Walliard posted:

code:
allow = {
		culture_group = east_african
		has_landed_title=k_egypt
		has_landed_title=k_nubia
		has_landed_title=k_abyssinia
	}
Apparently you need Egypt in addition to the de jure land.

Ah, ok then.

So it's a race to catch up with the Musaids before they decide to catch me :getin:

Zoinker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 30, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Looks like similarly for the Mali empire you need to have Mali, Mauritania AND a kingdom that isn't either Mali or Mauritania, and for Italia You need to have Italy, Sicily, and a third Kingdom.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Flame112 posted:

You might be thinking of a Prepared Invasion or the Conquest CB; you can definitely only Subjugate other pagans. When I've fought against England/Scotland I've had to conquer provinces one at a time with the Conquest CB.

Were you already King/they weren't defending another subjugation war/You didn't wait out the 10 minutes?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, if a use a concubine to convert back to Old Norse, I can subjugate Sweden. After that, could I reclaim to Fylkirate?
Can't do that. Conversion via wives and concubines is only to the initially reformed, non-heretical faiths; orthodox, catholic, miaphysite, sunni, shiite, zoroastrian.

One of the things I'm thinking about is genericizing such events and decisions, so that the only real distinction is between unreformed and reformed. (Also considering the possibility of allowing an initially-reformed faith to collapse, if it's in bad enough shape).

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
How can I convert as a reformed pagan? I'm getting Holy War'd and the raids just aren't paying off like they used to.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm pretty sure gavelkind isn't working properly.

Basically, the second of my two sons stands to inherit everything except the crown and some bumfuck county I've given no thought to since conquering it.

I get that forced gavelkind is meant to be a counter to the sheer awesome of playing an unreformed Norse in the early game, but this is beyond ridiculous. Everything I've invested in my home county is going to my non-heir son which'll leave him with enough of an army to prevent the heir from reclaiming anything by force. Three duchies and four out of five counties going to the second son? That ain't right. :colbert:

northern_monkey
Mar 30, 2010
College Slice

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, what exactly are the parameters of the subjugation CB? I really need to take over Sweden to form Scandinavia, and I'm not seeing it. It has been more than ten years since I last used it, and I'm reformed.

I seem to have a similar problem as Ivar after taking the king of Scotland ambition, the subjugate CB doesn't show when I want to declare war on Scottish powers.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Wyld Karde posted:

Basically, the second of my two sons stands to inherit everything except the crown and some bumfuck county I've given no thought to since conquering it.

I get that forced gavelkind is meant to be a counter to the sheer awesome of playing an unreformed Norse in the early game, but this is beyond ridiculous. Everything I've invested in my home county is going to my non-heir son which'll leave him with enough of an army to prevent the heir from reclaiming anything by force. Three duchies and four out of five counties going to the second son? That ain't right. :colbert:

supposed to be a new bug

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My quest to install as many members of House Wettin in as many positions of power as possible has hit an unfortunate snag. Due to a lack of non-Wettin Germans, my large extended family has begun inbreeding. I could deal with this if it weren't for their equally unfortunate tendency to murder each other in order to inherit land. Genetic collapse seems imminent. The position of my senior Wettin line is getting increasingly precarious as I am dragged into more wars to support the Byzantine and Jerusalemite Wettin family against the Seljuk Empire.

Is there any way to install my family into the Muslim Empires? I want to extend my big unstable sphere of kinslaying and self-loathing south without having to resort to conquest.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 30, 2013

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

The significant change I've seen in default.map is the addition of "major_rivers= { ... }". Since Sonendar (and Sengoku, come to think of it) has no major rivers, I've just added the line in with no entries.

Another difference is adjacencies.csv. The formatting has changed to:

code:
From;To;Type;Through;-1;-1;-1;-1;Comment
Now, I've changed both of these things in my mod, but it still crashes on "loading graphics" just as it's supposed to show the main menu, as it does for you. It does this after it does all the stuff, like "loading textures", "loading rivers", "calculating naval ranges", etc.

It's a real mystery, it is.

Two entire religions have disappeared for no reason, the provinces and characters have noreligion. I can't change adjacencies.csv without making the game crash, so random provinces are connected across the map. The heads of religion don't count as being heads of religion. I'm sure there's more, but I'm afraid to look closer.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I just bought this game (and therefore suck at it) and installed the Game of Thrones mod, but every time I try to run it, CK crashes. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I got the version of CK2 that was on sale on Steam this week, if that helps. I did not yet get the Old Gods DLC.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Gaussian posted:

I just bought this game (and therefore suck at it) and installed the Game of Thrones mod, but every time I try to run it, CK crashes. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I got the version of CK2 that was on sale on Steam this week, if that helps. I did not yet get the Old Gods DLC.
The game was patched to a newer version and the mod haven't been updated yet. You need to roll back the patch by right clicking on your game in the list, open the properties window, go to the Betas tab, and then switch to "1_09x Patch Level" and it should work (I haven't tried it)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Even without the Old Gods DLC, the game got a major patch this week and the big mods like GOT and CK2+ won't work until they're updated to be compatible.

e: f,b

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Wyld Karde posted:

The solution to this is pretty clear: jail and/or murder/sacrifice your unworthy sons until the best one is left. :black101:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Patrum Scuta have been updated if you want non-terrible looking coat of arms in case you are a sperg about that like I am :toot:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 31, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kainser posted:

Patrum Scuta have been updated if you want non-terrible looking coat of arms in case you are a sperg about that like me :toot:

I'm looking at the before and after shot on the first page of that mod thread, and I can't figure out what the hell is supposed to be different about it. It might be easier to figure out if he had taken before and after shots of the same characters, but it's all entirely different people and makes it a pain in the rear end to see whatever minute difference there is. I guess maybe they are slightly larger?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Kainser posted:

The game was patched to a newer version and the mod haven't been updated yet. You need to roll back the patch by right clicking on your game in the list, open the properties window, go to the Betas tab, and then switch to "1_09x Patch Level" and it should work (I haven't tried it)
That worked, thanks!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SeaTard posted:

I'm looking at the before and after shot on the first page of that mod thread, and I can't figure out what the hell is supposed to be different about it. It might be easier to figure out if he had taken before and after shots of the same characters, but it's all entirely different people and makes it a pain in the rear end to see whatever minute difference there is. I guess maybe they are slightly larger?
Yeah, the before/after image is terrible. The mod basically makes the randomly generated coat of arms look less like blobs of random patterns and colours and adds a bunch of historical ones.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 31, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Shadeoses posted:

It's a real mystery, it is.

Two entire religions have disappeared for no reason, the provinces and characters have noreligion. I can't change adjacencies.csv without making the game crash, so random provinces are connected across the map. The heads of religion don't count as being heads of religion. I'm sure there's more, but I'm afraid to look closer.

You're lucky! At least you can get to the main menu screen.

It's really frustrating, I've been tweaking and fiddling all day and I still can't figure out what changed such that it's all broken. :(

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can all people who start uncivilized loot? Or is it limited to only Vikings and hoards?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kainser posted:

Or you just roleplay it and fight your brothers for your inheritance like a true pagan, The game isn't very hard if you are minmaxing and disinheriting/killing all kids but one :black101:

e; but yeah, raiding is incredibly overpowered right now so you can just throw mercenaries at all problems as a Norse.

Yeah it's more fun to go FULL GAVELKIND. Max out your capital castle holding and keep a handy warchest around for succession. Brutalize the brothers with good lands and then fill in the rest with more conquest. Sure, you spend the first decade or so stomping on your relatives every succession but that's part of the charm. :black101:

Are you a bad enough dude to form the Empire of Scandinavia while your poo poo explodes every few decades in a massive succession crisis? Really isn't even that difficult as long as you don't go nuts forming kingdoms and shattering your lands. Once you reform you can just go around holy warring all of the old norse and then fill in the blanks with dejure claims and vassalization offers.

EDIT: Ark of the covenant event is pretty good. Looted a mysterious unopenable box from Rome and later looted the key. Was hoping for pope gold but found dumb old scrolls instead :(

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 31, 2013

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

I'm sorry what

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I just got the game this weekend, but I'm still terribly confused. I tried playing Ireland a couple of times and was able to handle basic stuff, like sending my council to take care of things, getting married, educating children, succession (I lost half my land before I learned to change to a primogeniture), etc. But I'm completely clueless about warfare.

I could never get my chancellor to fabricate a claim (though I tried, I tried so hard), so I have never been able to try battles yet.

Then I tried the GoT mod, as Robb, and discovered that when war was happening I couldn't even figure out how to move my troops, much less press a claim or attack an enemy.

Is there a good, concise tutorial out there?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Daeren posted:

I'm sorry what

"Oh crap, I leave the little poo poo unattended for five goddamn minutes and some bishop baptizes her, oh god what do I do... I know!"

Dear Daddy

I love Jesus.

Love, Edla

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Could anyone briefly explain how the new tech system works? Can't seem to find an explanation in the patch notes.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DrPop posted:

Could anyone briefly explain how the new tech system works? Can't seem to find an explanation in the patch notes.
You accumulate tech points in military (based on your martial + learning), economics (stewardship + learning), and culture (diplomacy? + learning), and can spend them on each of the tech tracks, which control the level of technology in your capital. Battles can also give you a chunk of military tech, and so can various events.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

:argh:

DrPop posted:

It's pretty similar to before, except you can now hurry it along. If you're a duke or above, you'll accumulate tech points in your capital based on your stats (Learning for all and Diplo, Martial, and Steward for particulars). Once you get enough tech points to buy a new level, your tech in the capital goes up one level. From there, it spreads to nearby territories, which can be sped up by putting counselors there. Techs have also been streamlined a little.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bit torn. On one hand subjugation seems completely overpowered because you can just overthrow entire kingdoms with ease. However, your Kingdom being broken up on death seems to counteract that.

Now I've reformed the faith and destroyed a bunch of kingdoms and switched the succession laws on the ones I can I feel like I'm really gaming the system.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

By far the most fun I've had with the Norse has been using Whiteshirt to win the opening war for Northumberland, creating a new city vassal, elevating him to Duke so he forms a merchant republic, and then save + restart as the new Doge. I've just been walking my stack of retinues in a circle around Ireland, looting every single province and using the gold to build more retinues for more pillaging. Plus, no need to worry about trying to reform, patrician elective ensures that my family keeps my land, even if I get booted from being the Doge.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If I have a pre-Old Gods save game, should I disable Old Gods every time before I load it?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

If I have a pre-Old Gods save game, should I disable Old Gods every time before I load it?

If you mean a 1.09 savegame, then the 1.10 patch already broke it. ToG does nothing but enable pagans. Sorry!

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

CapnAndy posted:

Other than black spaces on the map where the counties changed, I don't think there any problems.

Also, I think it may have fixed that weird empire republic bug I had.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda wish there was better control in a thing where your gavelkind would create independent realms over who got what, sometimes I want the one I'm not playing to get more or it wants him to get really random poo poo. Also what's with my capital always going to an heir?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

You're lucky! At least you can get to the main menu screen.

It's really frustrating, I've been tweaking and fiddling all day and I still can't figure out what changed such that it's all broken. :(

Have you updated the terrain.bmp and terrain.txt, and the atlas.dds stuff? The patch added Steppe as a complete terrain type, and changed the colour index to accommodate it.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

There might actually be too many wars in TOG.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

crm posted:

I played as the Sorbs, became King of Pomerania and Poland, and I think 98% of the time I was at war with multiple parties.

Let me try Italy just for fun.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This is truly the most fun I have ever had playing a CKII game, even though I’ve been mostly restraining myself and playing a semi-hands off game. I’ve mostly role-played my characters, and only my first two rulers were born and bred :black101: , the ones after that have been mediocre and more often than not administrators and intriguers than warriors.

The year is now 1028 and the world is a very different place from what it was some 150 years ago. At the ripe old age of 80 Queen Gyla ‘the Idol Smasher’ of Sweden died in her sleep and left behind her the legacy of a centralized catholic Swedish kingdom with significant territories in the Baltic, all of which had been converted to Catholicism.

Inheriting the powerhouse of Scandinavia was her grandson Hakon, whose transition to power was moslty eventless. During his reign he waged holy war and seized Norwegian territory in the north and conquered Jämtland for Sweden. However when facing down a minor rebellion of a Baltic Jarl he was killed in battle, leaving his 5 year old daughter to rule after him.

Sweden soon broke out in civil war after civil war as king usurped king and many a one proceeded to die in battle leaving what was once the powerhouse of the North an anarchic (though still strongly catholic) mockery of a state ruled by child rulers whose reigns rarely exceeded one year.
This gave the kingdom of Norway, the only remaining Norse country in Europe, respite. Chiefs started to raid across the border to Sweden and Jarls raided the coasts, some even attempted to conquer the border counties, but they would invariably be cancelled because whatever civil war that was going on would usually end just as fast to be replaced with a new one.

Though my dynasty had achieved great power in Norway (started as ruler designed single-county Jarl of Hordaland, but after I married my heir to the reigning Queen of Norway I save-edited my children to be Ynglings, because I kind of felt like it), my own characters had been reduced to obscurity, after a couple of rulers being rendered incapable in their late 20s leaving infant rulers whose titles were soon usurped. By the end of the 10th century, even though my character at the time started his tenure as infant king of Norway, succeeding his mother, and Jarl of Vestlandet, succeeding his father, by the age of 13 he was only the chief of Oppland (the seat of power during his mother’s reign). Having lost so much to treacherous brothers, uncles and cousins you’d expect the young prince to be rearing for revenge; rather he had come to accept obscurity as his birthright.

But good things come to those that wait. Orm became a brilliant strategist and continued to follow the old ways by raiding across the border with Sweden (seeing as his chiefdom had no boats, and Sweden was embroiled in endless succession of civil war upon civil war at the time). Then suddenly something unexpected happened; a group of powerful men, the powerful Jarl of Trøndelag supported by the the Jarl of Orkney and Iceland, told him they intended to wage war upon Orm’s uncle Ottar, who had styled himself king after usurping Orm’s throne, with the aim of restoring the throne to Orm. The cause of the war was decided early when the Jarl of Ostlandet threw his lot with the rebels, leaving Ottar and his meager flock of supporters no chance of winning and retaining power.

Crowned king, Orm started by greatly rewarding the Jarls who had restored his throne and gave honorary titles and gifts of money to ensure the loyalty of the great men of Norway, seeing as Orm still only had direct control over Oppland and was dependent on securing the support of the Jarls if he was to retain his crown. After holding a blot in which the usurper king Ottar was hanged as an offering to Allfather, Orm gathered together all able-bodied warriors of Norway and set out raiding the British isles, like a great Viking of old. Three times did he set out, and three times did he return victorious, burning London and Canterbury, bringing home a young Scottish princess who was taken as a concubine, and offering many captive bishops and nobles as sacrifices to Allfather.

But King Orm was the last of a dying the breed. The Old Ways were dying, that much was evident to anyone whose head was not buried in the ground; Sweden and Denmark had turned to the White Christ, England had been unified under the powerful House of Wessex, the great rivers, that once served to deliver Viking raiding parties to far flung Constantinople and allowed ambitious warriors to raid inland capitals like Paris and Köln, were now blocked off by powerful fortresses. To Orm it became apparent when his children were close to coming of age and he began looking for lucrative marriage opportunities, only to realize that there were none. All followers of the Old Gods were located in Norway and the only ones who were worthy of his children were relations a bit too close for Orm’s liking. The Ynglings of Norway had already turned turned rather incestuous, rarely marrying outside their family. Orm saw the truth then, the old ways weren’t dying, they were already dead.

What finally convinced him was his growing frustration with the Godis who would constantly heckle him about Allfather this and blot that, rarely leaving him alone (got an event that Godis were annoying my character, so he got the ‘stressed’ trait). The king invited clergymen from all the great faiths to come to Norway so he could learn more of them (read: I save-scummed and had the Byzantines, the Abbasids, the Danes and the Franks send their chaplains to prosletize). After their envoys behaved poorly, even starting fights with the others, he had to banish the Byzantine and Abbasid envoys. When a few months had passed Orm finally agreed to let himself and his family be baptized in the faith of the White Christ.

Any fears that his Jarls might go against him for this betrayal of the old ways were unfounded. King Orm’s reputation as a great warlord and gracious king who bestowed gifts and honors on those loyal to him was sufficient to convince them all to give up the Old Ways when the king demanded it. Conversion of the people followed and in the span of a year the entirety Ostlandet, with the exception of Heidmark, were converted to the Catholic faith. Orm also seized the chance to attack and reconquer Jämtland from Sweden, still embroiled in civil war. Another war was soon fought against the new king of Sweden to seize Vestergautland for Orm’s kinsman Kolbein, but was cut short when a new usurper was placed on the Swedish throne. Far from relegating Norway to obscurity, the adoption of the Christian faith had reinvigorated the kingdom, setting it up as the pre-eminent regional power after the collapse of Sweden into anarchy. Orm’s heir was set to marry the true heir of Gyla the Idol Smasher, while his daughter was promised to the king of the Franks (who rules four kingdoms but has not yet managed to form the HRE, and is currently excommunicated, and facing war from England and Bavaria, if he is dethroned I’ll simply break off the betrothal). Looking ahead at a bright future for his kingdom Orm could even dare to set his sights on an empire in Europe, as the Pope in Rome was sure to grant invasion requests to such a pious catholic ruler as he.

King Orm when I quit (managed to wrest myself away to get to work on final exam), he still has the ‘stressed’ trait, somewhat annoyingly, even though all his problems seem to have gone.

Hope people don’t mind this. My intention was originally to just post a few pictures and do a short summary, but it ended up being a kind of mini-LP as I just got kind of carried away and evertything spiralled out of control. However this was not the plan as I was playing and I have no screenshots of events or popups, which is a shame.
Now for some state of the world stuff

Europe has been characterized by almost constant warfare between the rulers of the various Carolingian successor states (the Carolingians have held on to every single king title they possibly could), no one having gathered enough power yet to form the HRE. This guy however might be a candidate for that honor, if he can survive the excommunication war currently waged against him by England and Bavaria. He’s betrothed to my 10 year old daughter.

Speaking of England, here it is. At the onset the situation in England was dire as most of the north and west were seized by Halfdan White-Shirt and Ivar the Boneless and their successors. Some one hundred years ago though, the House of Wessex emerged in the south and waged constant Holy War and within two decades had evicted the Norsemen, reunited England and reconquered it for Chrisitanity. Though their history is glorious, the House of Wessex seems to be on their way out, as the Carolingian king of Bavaria is currently set to inherit the kingdom, surely making Carolingian power in Europe complete.

The Abbasids have thoroughly recovered from their period of decline at the close of the 9th century. They now rule Syria and Egypt as well as all of Africa (with the notable exception of Ethiopia), and they recently conquered Andalusia from the Shiites who had done most of the dirty work, almost reducing the Christians to obscurity in their northern kingdoms, then they gobbled up most of Byzantium, even setting up court in Constantinople the Great.

Byzantium was going strong at the start and reconquered Italy and Sicily, they even reinforced their rule in Anatolia and waged successful Holy Wars for a few Syrian and Mesopotamian duchies, however some quirk of misfortune seems to have rendered most of the House of Makedon remarkably infertile, and as the house went extinct on the male line the Empire simply imploded in civil war.

The current Caliph is somewhat unremarkable, and suffers from a stutter, but he is brave and faithful and loved by all (mostly because he has been handing out counties, duchies and kingdoms as though they were candy). He can call upon an army of 350,000 men. Current threats to his rule include several peasant revolts in Mesopotamia, a Shi’ite pretender Caliph in Egypt and the newly arrived and expansionist Seljuks to the east and north, not to mention the immense decadence of the Abbasid dynasty.

Speaking of which... :stare:

Hungary (which also controlled the kingdom of Cumania) used to own an empire that snaked its way to the eastern edges of the map, they even reformed the Tengri faith and looked to only be going stronger and stronger. Then the Great Seljuk showed up, and started conquering to the north and south, forming a blob that would swallow up the old blob.

The current ruler of the Seljuks. He was originally the captain of the Turkic Company of mercenaries, and took over after the dynasty’s founder Seljuk died without a heir, assassinated by a Persian nobody less than a year after he had conquered that country. He took the reins as 50 year old man, umarried and childless, and the danger of the empire of the Seljuk disintegrating due to having no heir was very apparent. Though Mengucek has been somewhat lackluster at producing an heir (though he eventually managed one), his reign has been a prolific one. His early years were pre-occupied with massive revolts in Persia, twice threatening to topple the rule of the Seljuks in Iran. After that he set his sights north and west and conquered much of the once great Hungarian empire.

Finally here’s a map, to bring it all to an end.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with whoever it was that said that the greatest aspect of CK2 is the stories it generates, seriously they write themselves, especially if you, at a watermark, take a little time to look back and think about how the world has gone from when your session started to when it ended. It’s great and this DLC is the definitely the most fun I’ve ever had with the game.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 31, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Note to self: while having a Demense of 17 is perfectly viable when you're an old and crusty king who gives no shits about anyone, it does tend to mean your poor son is going to get murdered as soon as he inherits the realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DrPop posted:

It's been briefly gone over already, but a little more detail:

You gain "Tech Points" in three different categories based on your ruler's stats. Military tech points are governed by your ruler's Learning+Martial, Economic by Stewardship+Learning, and Cultural by Diplomacy+Learning. In addition, you get a (fairly small) amount of Tech Points from Universities and Monastic Schools.

Your ruler's spouse and advisors' stats DO NOT affect your tech points. Marrying a high-learning spouse doesn't help you, sadly.

These Tech Points can be spent to manually increase the level of technology in your ruler's capital. They raise the tech level in the capital ONLY. The increased levels of technology then spread out to other neighboring territories through the familiar Technology Spread mechanic.

Now, it used to be that you dropped your councillors in the capital in order to learn things there faster, right? Yeah, that no longer happens. The research options for your Steward, Marshal, and Religious Advisor (Chaplain, Seer, whatever) now are designed to increase the rate of technology spread. To properly utilize them, you place them in a province next to a high-tech province, to encourage the spread of those high technology levels into the new province (so, for example, if your capital is in Dublin and you learn a new level of Heavy Infantry, you might put your Marshal in Leinster to speed up the drift of your new Heavy Infantry level over to Leinster).

In one of the dev diaries they suggested using the advisors to promote 'corridors' of tech growth through your country, so that the tech levels can spread out from the corridors the way we're used to. A nice theory, but I don't know how practical it is in practice yet.

crm posted:

I will say, there does seem to be a lot less breathing room now. Part of the issue is that there are multiple things you can only do while at peace - tournaments, Blots - and things you need your neighbord to be at peace for, like usurping titles. And peace is much rarer now, especially since revolts count as actual wars now.

Fun as hell, but it's a definite change.

• Locked thread