Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Man, Devolver are pretty awesome guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Speaking of old 3D Realms properties, the new Rise of the Triad has box art now (despite having no physical copies planned):

Gotta love the fact that they kept the old "RSAC Advisory" blurb.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I can't seem to get Shadow Warrior added to my Steam library. Clicking "Play Now" in the Steam browser or Chrome/FF/IE just takes me to the Community Hub. Anyone else have that problem?

edit: I got rid of the Steam Beta update and it installs fine. :blush:

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 29, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

jerkstoresup posted:

I can't seem to get Shadow Warrior added to my Steam library. Clicking "Play Now" in the Steam browser or Chrome/FF/IE just takes me to the Community Hub. Anyone else have that problem?

edit: I got rid of the Steam Beta update and it installs fine. :blush:

Whenever a game goes free, even for the weekend, I find that restarting Steam fixes any issues. It probably has nothing to do with the beta client, or updates, etc..

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Man, Devolver are pretty awesome guys.

This is absolutely awesome, I got mine working on Steam and they're ditching potential 5-10$ sales to make it completely free. I'm amazed. :allears:

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Awesome as this is, it kinda makes the GOG version pointless outside of an easy DL for the expansion packs.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

misterdoo01 posted:

Awesome as this is, it kinda makes the GOG version pointless outside of an easy DL for the expansion packs.

Yeah, but well, come on. Everybody should already own the GoG version by now anyways :colbert:

closeted republican posted:

In Shadow Warrior, turning left and right in the Steam release don't have any keys bound to them by default, which makes driving a huge pain in the rear end because you can't turn. Go into setup and bind them to the left and right arrow keys to fix it.

You don't actually need to do this, just turn left and right using your mouse. I'm pretty sure that's the way it always was in the original Shadow Warrior if you decided to use mouse for turning and looking. I guess if you really want to bind it to the arrows that's fine, but it's not necessary.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
My VPS is up! Feel free to play on The Punishment Portal

Doom 1/2 with 50 WADs. (Use Doomseeker) - 76.72.167.204:10666
Sven Co-op with 1,000 maps. - 76.72.167.204:27015
Quake 3: Arena (Vanilla, Rocket Arena 3, CPMA, Excessive) - 76.72.167.204:27960

Message me at any contacts in my profile, but Steam is the best way.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 30, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if you could use Doom with the oculus rift?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Probably. I'm sure you'd want to do it with the OpenGL renderer but man how crazy would y-shearing look? :barf:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Makes me wonder how long it will be before there is serious effort thrown at making an Oculus title that is specifically designed to screw with your spatial perceptions. It seems like it would be an interesting job to try to really unnerve the player without just making them ill.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Johnny Law posted:

Makes me wonder how long it will be before there is serious effort thrown at making an Oculus title that is specifically designed to screw with your spatial perceptions. It seems like it would be an interesting job to try to really unnerve the player without just making them ill.

Especially if it's thrown into a game that involves Lovecraftian unholy geometries, cosmic horror, and insanity as themes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Probably. I'm sure you'd want to do it with the OpenGL renderer but man how crazy would y-shearing look? :barf:

OpenGL rendered with freelook off maybe? You might still get motion sick from the sheer speed.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

OpenGL rendered with freelook off maybe? You might still get motion sick from the sheer speed.

Ah no, y-shearing is only in software. OpenGL recreates the world as a more true 3D space, though I bet sprites would look super bizarre. About freelook, what I've heard from people who have used the rift is that when they move their head but for some reason the game doesn't respond by moving their viewpoint it is a very bizarre sensation. :allears:

I don't think GZDoom has any built-in stereoscopy mode either so whoever did it would have to do that too but still I would be pretty surprised if it never happened. Seems inevitable. Googling around a bit it sounds like doing it in the BFG edition (which was ported to Doom 3's engine?) might happen soonest.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

tooooooo bad posted:

Ah no, y-shearing is only in software. OpenGL recreates the world as a more true 3D space, though I bet sprites would look super bizarre. About freelook, what I've heard from people who have used the rift is that when they move their head but for some reason the game doesn't respond by moving their viewpoint it is a very bizarre sensation. :allears:

I don't think GZDoom has any built-in stereoscopy mode either so whoever did it would have to do that too but still I would be pretty surprised if it never happened. Seems inevitable. Googling around a bit it sounds like doing it in the BFG edition (which was ported to Doom 3's engine?) might happen soonest.

The BFG version is running on a halfassed variant of linuxdoom 1.10, derived from the variant used for the Xbox and Xbox 360 releases. It's still using the software renderer too.

As for sprites, they look fine for most stuff if you set them to only billboard in the one direction, usually.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 30, 2013

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Commander Keenan posted:

My VPS is up! Feel free to play on The Punishment Portal

Doom 1/2 with 50 WADs. (Use Doomseeker)
Sven Co-op with 1,000 maps.
Quake 3: Arena (Vanilla, Rocket Arena 3, CPMA, Excessive)

All use this IP: 76.72.167.204:10666

Message me at any contacts in my profile, but Steam is the best way.

I thought using the same port for 3 different games would cause issues? :psyduck:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TOOT BOOT posted:

There was one guy who was interested in writing code for that, though it will probably not result in anything.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

QwertySanchez posted:

I thought using the same port for 3 different games would cause issues? :psyduck:

Since I'm stupid, I've fixed the post with the correct addresses!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

At the risk of generalizing...

A brief and blunt look at the build engine games and expansions:

Duke 3d Atomic - The grand pappy of everything that follows, and arguably still the strongest entry. Come for the balanced and innovative weaponry (the pipe bomb's soothing clink-clink, that beautiful moment when you realize that the rocket launcher isn't meant to be used just for special encounters, the trip mines), stay for the humor and the tight and compact level design. Plus, Duke! Though the second episode drains the fun factor (massive hitscanning enemies and very few easter eggs or humorous moments? Sign me up!), the 3rd and 4th episodes are wall-to-wall good times.

Duke it Out in DC - Though there's no new weapon or enemies, this expansion starts at full throttle and never lets up. it starts with you storming the oval office - and somehow keeps throwing more and more DC landmarks your way. Plus, you get to rescue Bill Clinton!

Duke Life's a Beach - new weapons, new enemies and a completely nonsensical theme all add up to the most memorable expansion pack. The level's seem even more wacked out and creative than DC - check out a level-long riff on Indiana Jones or the sprawling water park. The music, the coconut launchers, the new Duke one liners - Is there a man alive who doesn't love this?

Nuclear Winter - Starts off by badly plagiarising the first two Duke 3d levels... and gets worse from there. For completionists only, the level design is pointed, angular, and lacking in every way. There IS a new enemy that livens up the action, and a decent moment or two. But its also got a godawful final boss that pisses away the smallest modicum of goodwill the past levels created.

Redneck Rampage - Wildly unbalanced weapons and enemies. Arcane and obscure level design. An overly complicated health system. Yet for whatever reason, Redneck Rampage has charm and charisma to burn. The stereotypes are so lovingly bonkers (someone actually wanted to make a game that allows you to shoot chickens with a dynamite stick up their rear end, and god bless them for it) and the music is so kicky that the whole package somehow hangs together.

Redneck Rampage: Suckin Grits on Route 66 - Imagine if someone came across a cool tool set, but noticed that the previous builder hadn't put them together in quite the right way. Route 66 takes everything from the original game and creates a leaner, meaner game. All of the awesome weapons left to rot until the last third of the original game are introduced almost immediately, and the player is invited to go nuts. The level design is still a bit brutal, but roadblocks are much easier to overcome and the programmer's logic is easily discernible.

Redneck Rampage Rides Again - I have no memory of playing this. I mean, I remember the Elvis level and other bits and pieces. But this is basically just more Redneck Rampage - for better and worse. Completely unmemorable, but not offensively annoying.

Shadow Warrior - A grab bag of crazy ideas, all thrown together in a stew. The game lacks even the barest sense of coherence. Levels zip from ancient kung fu temples to Auric Goldfinger-inspired fortresses. The weapon set is even more non-sequitor. (A beating heart! A laser! A sword! A nuclear bomb!) Its easy to see why Shadow Warrior bombed. People blame the offensive stereotypes, but its clear the game never had a unifying idea, theme, or voice to tie the strands together. The dirty secret is that if you don't mind the chaos, Shadow Warrior is a great deal of fun. Hacking up ninjas with the sword, leaping across buildings, another strangely compelling set piece - There is fun to be had here, and its easier to find than most think.

Twin Dragon - More coherent than the original set of levels, offering up a great deal of enjoyment. Held back by one too many "Docks/Warehouse/Brown Building" levels to truly sing, but enough interesting levels pop up to keep the pace moving.

Wanton Destruction - Holy hell! The build engine is pushed to all sorts of crazy limits, and the levelset is aided by a great theme: Lo Wang is in San Francisco, looking to kickass. The slightly americanized settings to Shadow Warrior create a beautiful balance between Duke and Lo Wang's worlds. A plane crash! A truly thrilling action sequence among the rickety girders! Challenging arenas to take down bosses! Seriously, go play it.

Blood - The true climax to the Build era. Cranks up the gore (and the gibs!) to ludicrous levels. Your first real weapon is a pistol that shoots flares, lighting enemies ablaze. Spray tommy gun bullets, light hair spray cans on fire and chuck them like grenades. Turn enemies to dust with the voodoo doll. The levels mash together any and all Horror tropes into a delicious send up of the genre, matched by a caustic protagonist with the best one liners since Duke. The only real negative is the lack of a true source port for the title. Even with a myriad of fixes, I've known several friends who simply can't deal with the perspective and control issues that come with the package.

PostMortem - Official addon... and annoying as all hell. Dull levels full of duller enemies do not play to the strengths of Blood at all.

Cryptic Passage - Sunstorm returns for a final addon, and the results are wickedly entertaining. Each level feels like the sort of showcase/tech demo that a modder throws online to instant praise. Even more than Wanton Destruction, this is one best experienced on your own. Go forth, play, and be merry!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Don't forget Tekwar! (I can't blame you for forgetting Tekwar!)

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
All of those games are poo poo compared to Kenbuild

e: Seriously though, Sunstorm's Build game expansions ruled, I wish they had gone on to do something better than Deer Hunter.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Ah no, y-shearing is only in software. OpenGL recreates the world as a more true 3D space, though I bet sprites would look super bizarre.

I want to know what it looks like when the left eye sees the front sprite and the right eye the side sprite. Some weird bended sprite?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Superschaf posted:

I want to know what it looks like when the left eye sees the front sprite and the right eye the side sprite. Some weird bended sprite?

Probably a blurry version of both versions. Like crossing your eyes at it? I think they'd have to do sprite facing calculations based off of like, the center point between the eyes or something?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Superschaf posted:

Using state-of-the-art imaging (the "darken" property applied to a layer in paint.net) I came up with this reconstruction.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Speaking of imaging, someone on Reddit made this amazing piece of artwork:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Dwarf Fortress reskin? XCOM-like Doom RTS?!

I'd wish for the latter if anything. :unsmith:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Ah no, y-shearing is only in software. OpenGL recreates the world as a more true 3D space, though I bet sprites would look super bizarre.

Well that's why we have 3d models in our modern ports of old 2.5d games :v:

I don't imagine Duke Nukem 3D with the high-resolution pack and all the models installed, with Polymost, would have too many problems running smoothly with the Rift. Other than the fact that the models and 3D lighting model tend to create slowdown, so you might have your vision lagging behind which could be pretty nauseating. eDuke32 isn't exactly the most optimized program.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zero Star posted:

Speaking of imaging, someone on Reddit made this amazing piece of artwork:

DooMRL is drat fun, either a turn-based game like X-Com or even a RTS like Dawn of War II would own.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Komoxdos posted:

Don't forget Tekwar! (I can't blame you for forgetting Tekwar!)

He also forgot Witchaven!

This is also understandable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
He also forgot Legend of the Seven Paladins! Which can only be deliberate, because who could forget this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-MI4iS8aYU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Guillermus posted:

DooMRL is drat fun, either a turn-based game like X-Com or even a RTS like Dawn of War II would own.

I concur on both counts. The world needs more X-Coms. There's also a weirdo x-com roguelike out there, but I think it's just way too hard to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tooooooo bad posted:

Eh, sprites in a 3D environment works on 3DS games like Fire Emblem pretty drat well, so I think it could be okay.

But as other people said, the raw speed of doom is probably going to be killer for oculus. They reccomend you don't play as scout on TF2 if you're using oculus, for that reason.

MY OCULUS JUST SHIPPED and I'm excited so you all get to hear about it.

superh posted:

Probably a blurry version of both versions. Like crossing your eyes at it? I think they'd have to do sprite facing calculations based off of like, the center point between the eyes or something?

Yeah, you'd want to force both views to use the same sprite facing. Your eyes aren't really far enough apart to give you different views on a sprite anyways, it would only happen on the edge case where you're about to transition between sprites and one eye went JUST far enough and the other didnt; just force the other to swap with the first and things would look pretty good.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
With everything else in a 2.5D world giving a sense of depth and dimension, sprites would stick out as paper thin illusions. I think I would finally break down and play Doom-likes with 3D models and high-res texture packs if I ever get a Rift.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

jerkstoresup posted:

With everything else in a 2.5D world giving a sense of depth and dimension, sprites would stick out as paper thin illusions. I think I would finally break down and play Doom-likes with 3D models and high-res texture packs if I ever get a Rift.

Unreal with a Rift :syoon:

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
Now that VR is (I guess??) finally a commercial reality, I'd like to see someone pick up the rights to the old VR center games... Dactyl Nightmare is pretty much an FPS. A 1-on-1 deathmatch FPS on the smallest map anyone ever made, but still. I don't think old VR units had stereo vision, did they? I only got to play Dactyl once.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They did, there were two displays in there, using late 80s/early 90s technology. That's why those things were so goddamn heavy.

I cheat to win
Feb 26, 2013
Would anyone be interested in some Quakeworld deathmatch?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

They did, there were two displays in there, using late 80s/early 90s technology. That's why those things were so goddamn heavy.

I remember testing out a headset set up on a copy of Heretic. Looking around controlled the rudimentary "mouselook" feature. Because looking around was very important in that game.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I was at Cedar Point (an amusement park) in either the late 90s or very early 2000s, and there was a VR headset you stepped into which allowed you to rotate (you were in sort of a little penned off area, circular). It had Duke3D in it and I thought it was pretty great. I think the only thing the headset did was just mouselook, and probably fairly poorly. You still had to use some sort of controller to do anything else. I probably paid $5 to play for a few minutes, but it was pretty badass at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ExMortis posted:

Now that VR is (I guess??) finally a commercial reality, I'd like to see someone pick up the rights to the old VR center games...

I'd really just like to see people making games exclusively for the Oculus Rift that look and play like those old 90's VR games, but with more sophisticated gameplay. That, and maybe free demo programs with 90's era computer graphics, so you can basically wander around freely inside of one of those "Mind's Eye" videos.

Or a recreation of scenes from The Lawnmower Man.

Chinook posted:

I was at Cedar Point (an amusement park) in either the late 90s or very early 2000s, and there was a VR headset you stepped into which allowed you to rotate (you were in sort of a little penned off area, circular). It had Duke3D in it and I thought it was pretty great.

But I'd settle for this :)