Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

While I'm not surprised at having to have a certain monster to recruit other monsters, I cannot say I expected you to have to have a monster you are unable to obtain your first time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I love that the big bad's name is just... Scott. Hi Scott.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I love that the big bad's name is just... Scott. Hi Scott.

I really enjoy that too. It sticks out in this setting as much as someone named Xynomorphia would stick out in a game set in Minneapolis.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Mystical Elf's support Ability is actually nice enough to warrant using her, if you build a team around her (Not as hard as it sounds) Her fusion material partner is also good enough to just use by itself. And since pretty much every fusion is "worth it" (Except maybe...2 or 3) Mystical Elf can be pretty good.

The Mystical Elf is a fusion material monster? The only cards I can think of that relate to the Mystical Elf are the monster card Mystical Elf and the trap card Gift of the Mystical Elf. Although because this game takes some things form the first season then it could fuse with anything.

Artix posted:

To be completely honest, I'm not sure where it pulls the deployment costs from. It's not from your initial gold supply, because if so I'd start the next chapter with ~500 gold instead of ~2200. It might come from the end-of-chapter rewards, but we're not at a good chapter where I can easily test that.

I've been going over some of the previous updates to check deployment costs of monsters and seeing how the cost is worked out. So far I can say it definitely isn't a simple v + w + x + y = z equation, perhaps LP, Attack and Defence need to be divided by an amount and AP left alone.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
there are some fusions in this game that aren't actually fusions in the cards.

It's to keep you on your toes, you know.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Monster exclusive. How wonderful that the first one you meet can't even be recruited first time through. From how you worded it, interesting how the Gemini Elves are separate creatures. Considering how it used to be a strong monster early in the card game's life I'm hoping they have the stats to match. But I wouldn't be surprised if their stats don't match the difficulty recruiting them.

So with Joey and Mai showing up now, what's taking Tea so long.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
I know it's way late, but I think I have an idea about how Navy works. You said in your mechanics post that water monsters were relatively slow on land, so if Mako was reaching a town in the same amount of time with a swimming team and a non-swimming team, doesn't that mean he sped up the swimmers? I don't have the game handy to test if the swimmers are actually slower without Navy though.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Blue Ghost posted:

The Mystical Elf is a fusion material monster? The only cards I can think of that relate to the Mystical Elf are the monster card Mystical Elf and the trap card Gift of the Mystical Elf. Although because this game takes some things form the first season then it could fuse with anything.
What about the Dark Elf? Or Kuriboh.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blue Ghost posted:

Fusion is kind of weird in this game, to be honest. Some fusions work exactly as advertised (see: Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon), some fusions are there but are made with different monsters because of the "only one of each monster" thing (see: Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon), some Fusion monsters are just regular dudes that are there (see: Zombie Warrior, which is actually a fusion of Skull Servant and Battle Warrior), and some fusions make monsters that aren't actually fusions at all (see: Mystical Elf and its partner). So when we say it's fusion material, that could mean basically anything.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 30, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep, that sure is a Duelist Kingdom era YGO game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We'll deal with Mai next map when we can actually use her. For now, let's talk about Joey.

Yugi's second "wave" of marshals are much more specialized than the first wave, and Joey is a fantastic example of that. See, Joey is all about power. He starts with a huge amount of BP, and has fantastic growths to match it - Yugi will be the only one who's even close to being in the same ballpark. Final stats come out to 10-7-7, but for most of the game, Joey will be your go-to guy when it comes to smacking thing really hard. Also, he's another Constructor marshal, which doesn't hurt.

Joey will soon have a BP bonus greater than Yugi's, and it will probably stay that way for all of a sane player's playthroughs. He's a great marshal the moment he arrives, and I'm a big fan of his starting team.

Moving on to his monsters, Giltia the D. Knight (I believe it stands for Divine, but don't quote me on that) is a pretty ho-hum Warrior. He's on the slower side (5 AP), but his stats are respectable and he adds Castle and Field-Adept to his repertoire, in addition to a special that does damage to all Dark monsters (which basically means all Fiends and Zombies). I don't think it's particularly strong, but even if it were, situational attacks generally aren't worth the cost, especially when it's a special attack.

Given the Anti-Dark special, "Divine" sounds like a pretty safe bet to me. He's not great, but Giltia's not exactly dead weight either.

Flame Swordsman is more or less a complete upgrade from Giltia. He gets one more AP, slightly better stats, the same slate of abilities (Field, Castle, Road), and his special is "Attack all enemies" rather than just a certain type. Still not anything that's going to blow your mind, but a step up nonetheless.

One of Joey's signature monsters, with a perfectly compatible essence right as he starts. You'd be fine just leaving him as Joey's leader forever.

Also, he reminds me of someone else.

And finally, we have the Robotic Knight. He starts off alright, but he falls off pretty quickly, not even breaking 4000 ATK and barely hitting 4000 DEF. To his credit, he does have a ton of HP, picks up Armor and Road-Adept, as well as a special that hits all enemies for all that's worth. He's not bad for now, but there are much better monsters to use come endgame.

Not much to really vote on this time, unless you really want to change up Joey's team for the next map. He, Tristan, Yugi, and Shimon are all we're allowed to bring, so if you want to beef up any of their teams, now would be the time to do it.

The Monster Reserves
Mystic Horseman - 974 HP, 1348/1596, 3 AP, Field-Adept, Orange Orb
Feral Imp - 879 HP, 1482/1583, 2 AP, Night-Adept, Green Orb
Celtic Guardian - 988 HP, 2316/1600 (w/ Legendary Sword), 4 AP, Road-Adept, Green Orb
Zombie Warrior - 951 HP, 1638/1350, 3 AP, Night-Adept, Dark Gray Orb
Beast of Gilfer - 1200 HP, 2200/2500, 2 AP, Night-Adept, Dark Red Orb

Yugi
Dark Magician - 1250 HP, 3111/2206 (w/ Book of Secret Arts), 2 AP
Winged Dragon - 945 HP, 1847/1677, 3 AP
Kuriboh - 553 HP, 2914/823 (w/ 2x Multiply), 4 AP, Night-Adept

Tristan
Illusory Gentleman - 1479 HP, 2953/3070, 6 AP, Night-Adept
Swordsman - 757 HP, 1434/958 (w/ Legendary Sword), 4 AP, Road-Adept
Summoned Skull - 1523 HP, 2577/1276, 2 AP, Night-Adept

Shimon
Beaver Warrior - 1149 HP, 2161/1960 (w/ Legendary Sword), 3 AP, Forest-Adept
Blackland Fire Dragon - 1256 HP, 2220/1565, 3 AP, Night-Adept
Penguin Soldier - 660 HP, 1014/768, 5 AP

For next map, poor Tea has found herself in a bit of a sticky situation. While our primary goal is to get her out of trouble, that's no reason we can't do a little monster hunting while we're here, right?

Never was much good at monster hunting. Too grindy for my tastes.

The Safari rules have been updated, but otherwise we're under standard conditions. Good luck, goons!

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 1, 2013

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Alright, looks like we're past the part I played to so I guess I'll jump into the Safari.
Guessing two monsters:

One where that red dot at the top is, and the other as a reward for completing the mission.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My stopped clock tells me that there is only one monster, and that it's in this weird little bubble of grass down here:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The D. in Giltia's name is actually spelled out in the dub and officially stands for "Dark", he's called "Giltia the Dark Knight". He was just "Magical Knight Giltia" in the Japanese so I'm not sure how they got "Dark" from that. There's no shortage of similar headscratching translations in Yugioh, As a case in point Dunames Dark Witch. Despite the name the Dark Witch is actually a Light Attribute Fairy/Angel because they attached the name to a card called "Dunames Valkyria".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

At least 4kids can say they aren't the worst translation of Yu-Gi-Oh.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Endorph posted:

At least 4kids can say they aren't the worst translation of Yu-Gi-Oh.

:stare: I need to know what card he's playing there. What on earth could it be? It's not a monster card... and you don't announce trap cards, so it has to be a spell... But what? :iiam:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heart of the Underdog.

The hong-kong subs translate Underdog as retarded, which leads to a great little episode where everyone calls Joey retarded. It ends with Kaiba saying 'Shut up stupid retard.'

Basically, everyone should watch the bootleg subs. At one point they mix up Joey and Serenity's names for like seven episodes straight.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Why don't you swap out the Robot Knight for the Celtic Guardian?

When has Hong Kong subs not been the best thing ever?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Hmm.... let's throw a dart!

This is my dart. In addition, the die came up with a 2 so you'll need a specific character.

Give Celtic Guardian to Joey in exchange for Robot Knight.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Well, that answers my question about Tea's whereabouts. Guessing there's just one monster at the yellow because it looks like all the action is in the north side. Guessing it's in the river because stuff moves slower and Mako isn't here to reach it faster. Also, no conditions to find it this time.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So just how drunk/underpaid was the original Yugioh translation team?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'll copy this, General Yeti has ridiculous accuracy so far. One monster, no special requirements.

Because honestly, I doubt they can do that too often.

Vorpal Cat posted:

Better question is how much of a poo poo did they give?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, it was probably more a question of being under a thousand different draconian restraints about what they should put into dialogue. Shadow realm shadow realm shadow realm.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Welp, missed the past few safari runs.

I'll just guess right behind the home castle. Would be hilariously funny if I got it right, but we'll see.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

Honestly, it was probably more a question of being under a thousand different draconian restraints about what they should put into dialogue. Shadow realm shadow realm shadow realm.

edit: Erp, misread that.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 31, 2013

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Straight up and down at the mid point between towns produce these results, thus the logical thing to do is pick the mountain that looks different. So one monster and let's ride this special condition train until it comes off the rail or I lose nerve.

I see what you mean by there are just fusion monsters that come as is. Both of Joey's knights are fusion monsters but are treated as normal monsters in the show. Robotic Knight seems a little strange for Joey to have instead of something like Alligator's Sword.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

And yet they were able to yell about god cards all the time. Censors are weird things.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Blue Ghost posted:

I see what you mean by there are just fusion monsters that come as is. Both of Joey's knights are fusion monsters but are treated as normal monsters in the show. Robotic Knight seems a little strange for Joey to have instead of something like Alligator's Sword.

My favorite part of the show had to have been when Polymerization just combined two random cards and it didn't match up with the TCG at all. And then when Flame Swordsman was a normal creature :v: I can't wait to see what weird rules they have for fusions in this game.

E: Ramos :argh: I'm just going to wait until last minute from now on.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Orange dot I guess? I also think that there is a special condition. Certain person maybe?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

E: Ramos :argh: I'm just going to wait until last minute from now on.

I can wait until the last thirty seconds then. :colbert:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Vorpal Cat posted:

They weren't drunk, those are the Hong Kong subs made by people who probably know Japanese but sure as hell don't know English. They repeatedly call Kaiba "Seahorse" and his dragon is sometimes the "Green Eyes White Dragon".

Momomo posted:

And yet they were able to yell about god cards all the time. Censors are weird things.

If you go back notice how they always say "Egyptian God Card". I think every single line the dubbers had to make explicitly clear that they were talking about Egyptian gods to avoid offending the Beckys of the world.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

They weren't drunk, those are the Hong Kong subs made by people who probably know Japanese but sure as hell don't know English. They repeatedly call Kaiba "Seahorse" and his dragon is sometimes the "Green Eyes White Dragon".

If you go back notice how they always say "Egyptian God Card". I think every single line the dubbers had to make explicitly clear that they were talking about Egyptian gods to avoid offending the Beckys of the world.

To be fair, Japan doesn't really distinguish between green and blue.

On the other hand, English sure as poo poo does, so they must have never looked at what it described or anything

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hellioning posted:

To be fair, Japan doesn't really distinguish between green and blue.

緑 = Green

青 = Blue

Unless there's something cultural that I'm missing here, there is separate kanji for blue and green.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ramos posted:

緑 = Green

青 = Blue

Unless there's something cultural that I'm missing here, there is separate kanji for blue and green.

Actually, the Japanese word for 'blue' is more accurately 'blue/green', not merely 'blue'. (It's just almost always translated as 'blue', unless doing so would be inaccurate.)

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
What I want to know is who over here saw this show about demon summoning, mind torture, vengeful ancient Gods and thought "Hey, this would be great to market to little kids!"

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

4Kids probably jumped on Yugioh for the same reason they did Pokemon: unlimited money.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

My favorite part of the show had to have been when Polymerization just combined two random cards and it didn't match up with the TCG at all.

The Duelist Kingdom had some really funny polymerization combos like Mammoth Graveyard and Blue-eyes Ultimate Dragon.

I would also like to make a correction to my previous statement that said Mystical Elf isn't used as a fusion monster, Kamionwizard uses Mystical Elf but is such a terrible card that I forgot about it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Since my imgur skills are terrible...

I'm guessing there'll be two monsters on this map. One from the enemy base, and one south and slightly to the east of the center town.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Aerdan posted:

Actually, the Japanese word for 'blue' is more accurately 'blue/green', not merely 'blue'. (It's just almost always translated as 'blue', unless doing so would be inaccurate.)

I believe みどり (midori, the word for 'green') is a fairly recent addition to the language. A Sudanese co-worker of mine always wanted to call green things 'blue', so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a thing they picked up from someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I believe みどり (midori, the word for 'green') is a fairly recent addition to the language. A Sudanese co-worker of mine always wanted to call green things 'blue', so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a thing they picked up from someone else.

Ah, that's pretty interesting actually. Though since Japanese is largely derived from Chinese, it makes me wonder if the Chinese were similar in that regard. Though a quick look on Wikipedia shows that this is common enough through various languages to need its own article.

Huh.

• Locked thread