Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

rscott posted:

are there like, paint by number guides that JC Whitney puts out for specific models of cars?

Oh Dillons....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Spotted on my way back to work. You'd think there'd come a point when you'd look at a vehicle and decide you were afraid to drive it...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fucknag posted:

See, personally, I'd love a classic Hemi Charger that rode, handled and braked like a new sports car, but take away the sound and it all seems rather hollow.

The rest are valid points, but altering the car in such a way as to lose the one thing that literally everybody agrees is great about American muscle?

Roll down the windows?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FuzzyBuddha posted:

Spotted on my way back to work. You'd think there'd come a point when you'd look at a vehicle and decide you were afraid to drive it...

Bartertown doesn't require yearly vehicle inspections, apparently.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I saw this specimen driving around in Wilmington, MA the other night and first thing that came to mind was "pfft, that's stupid." then seconds later "That's the best looking 4g eclipse I've ever seen."

Still incredibly ugly and stupid, but the best looking of an ugly bunch nonetheless.

So I did a something search to see if I could find a similarly tarted up eclipse for the thread and lo and behold I found the actual car, and the guy's "build" thread on his car club's website.

Enjoy.

http://club4g.org/board/members-rides/30540-khaostactics-biohazard.html

bonus pic:

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 30, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

Roll down the windows?

In Florida humidity? Pfffffft.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fucknag posted:

See, personally, I'd love a classic Hemi Charger that rode, handled and braked like a new sports car, but take away the sound and it all seems rather hollow.

The rest are valid points, but altering the car in such a way as to lose the one thing that literally everybody agrees is great about American muscle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlJNzSXUZk

That is quite the cam.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlJNzSXUZk

I think I would average about 200 miles per pair of tires if I owned a car like this. Jesus.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

rscott posted:

are there like, paint by number guides that JC Whitney puts out for specific models of cars?

JC Whitney? I'm going to assume a good bit of that is duck tape

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

veedubfreak posted:

Adding a ton of weight and spending a stupid amount of money on an item that really does take away one of the largest aspects of an old car really does alter the major factor of owning an old car. And honestly I do somewhat feel the same way about some of these old rear end cars that are basically nothing but a brand new car with the shell of an antique put on top of them.

And wow, you sure sound mad about it.

As you said, 100% coverage is excessive, which covers the weight point. Other products that do the same job cheaper addresses the cost point. Not all cars are about engine noise, not all nvh reduction is about silencing the car. Sometimes it's reducing the myriad rattles and buzzes inherent in the design of the panel work. I'm not mad, should I have used smiles to indicate this?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That is quite the cam.

If it ain't on the verge of stalling, its not lopey enough.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mighty Horse posted:

My dad was in the car scene back in the day (and actually had a '69 Charger). He tells stories of guys with a stock V8 that would pull a spark plug and idle around the lot, sounding like it had a lopey idle.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

veedubfreak posted:

Adding a ton of weight and spending a stupid amount of money on an item that really does take away one of the largest aspects of an old car really does alter the major factor of owning an old car. And honestly I do somewhat feel the same way about some of these old rear end cars that are basically nothing but a brand new car with the shell of an antique put on top of them.

And wow, you sure sound mad about it.

old cars were loud. I feel like there's no reason not to stick some technology in it to keep it from sounding like a small plane. I have a 51 ford coupe body over a 96 s10 and it has plenty of generic sound dampening biz in it. before it sounded like it was ready to take off, now it just sounds like a throaty v6, because that's what it is.

I agree that spending $$$ on dynamat(TM) is needless considering there isn't anything special about it compared to other similar materials but I'm all for being able to listen to the stereo without turning it up to 110.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I saw this specimen driving around in Wilmington, MA the other night and first thing that came to mind was "pfft, that's stupid." then seconds later "That's the best looking 4g eclipse I've ever seen."

Still incredibly ugly and stupid, but the best looking of an ugly bunch nonetheless.

So I did a something search to see if I could find a similarly tarted up eclipse for the thread and lo and behold I found the actual car, and the guy's "build" thread on his car club's website.

Enjoy.

bonus pic:

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that "build" link, but I did. Good to know his first "mods" were this: "Couple of months in and I put my first mods on, Gas cap and matte black tails."

Then, I noticed the scissor jack holding up the car while changing springs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

G-Mach posted:

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that "build" link, but I did. Good to know his first "mods" were this: "Couple of months in and I put my first mods on, Gas cap and matte black tails."

With... a bottle jack holding the hub up? And it looks like there's a red jackstand laying on its side underneath the motor, probably borrowed from that truck in the back.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Fucknag posted:

With... a bottle jack holding the hub up? And it looks like there's a red jackstand laying on its side underneath the motor, probably borrowed from that truck in the back.

Ha, it's actually worse. I totally missed the jackstand laying on it's side.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

G-Mach posted:

Matte black tails, because being able to see brake lights in the day is boring.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Well granted the clear ones it came with, like most clear taillights were pretty awful. Which is odd, because aftermarket tails almost ALWAYS look shittier than the stock ones.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

From Facebook:

Nice overspray, bro.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mighty Horse posted:

Honestly, the proper amount of lope is a cam that stalls once or twice until you get heat in it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

A Go Topless sticker, A shocker sticker, and Kicker Audio sticker all in bright yellow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

JackRabbitStorm posted:

A Go Topless sticker, A shocker sticker, and Kicker Audio sticker all in bright yellow.

All on a car that is/was probably owned by the kids grandparents.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Darko posted:

I'm unsure of what's going on here - I don't know if it's a Canadian thing or what:

Maybe it is a Canadian thing, I went from this:

To this:

Only cost me about $200 all said and done. At least mine was significantly less tacky :colbert:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

delpheye posted:

I agree that spending $$$ on dynamat(TM) is needless considering there isn't anything special about it compared to other similar materials but I'm all for being able to listen to the stereo without turning it up to 110.
i totally agree, it's way more effective to treat the deadening material (dynamat or otherwise) as an ingredient rather than the sole solution. adding something to absorb the noise would be incredibly more effective, likely with less added weight to boot

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GutBomb posted:

Enjoy.

bonus pic:

Oh god it doesn't stop. The dual spoiler/wing, the other Eclipse with a moustache and a loving banana sticking out of the grille, and then I saw the guy was around 19/20 when he started doing all of this. It made sense.

EDIT: He sold it actually a few weeks ago. Now he has a Z28 and a "Swevo". Can someone with more car jargon know-it-all chime in with what the heck that is?

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 31, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FuzzyBuddha posted:

Sorry, but how the gently caress does this exist for more than a day on a public road? Doesn't a cop drive past this and laugh loudly before pulling this over and having it towed?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Ringo Star Get posted:

EDIT: He sold it actually a few weeks ago. Now he has a Z28 and a "Swevo". Can someone with more car jargon know-it-all chime in with what the heck that is?

I'm thinking it means a Lancer/Evo, but I could be wrong.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Devyl posted:

I'm thinking it means a Lancer/Evo, but I could be wrong.

Yep, probably a typo for WW Evo. WW being the color, either wicked white or weightless white depending on the year.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

It came from Craigslist...

325es.

That poor poor BMW.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Are those stripes done with electrical tape?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Aureus posted:

It came from Craigslist...

325es.

That poor poor BMW.

It's got the poo poo eta motor in it, so not much of a loss there.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm just picturing a guy in Autozone with a 2 baskets dumping them on the counter. "Ok, that's 3 of these, 6 of these..."

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

I wasn't aware that the Trans Sport was now the official staff car of Cold War-era Russian generals.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I've never seen tribal piercings on a car before...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Every time I look, I find more stick-on pep boys bling...

shark fins... sideways on the side mirrors?!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

OneStopShop posted:

Maybe it is a Canadian thing, I went from this:

To this:

Only cost me about $200 all said and done. At least mine was significantly less tacky :colbert:

Why? What was wrong with just driving it in beater red.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Why? What was wrong with just driving it in beater red.

I...I don't understand the question.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why take a decent red paint job and turn it into something that looks like it was wrecked and put back together by a teenager working at McDonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Why take a decent red paint job and turn it into something that looks like it was wrecked and put back together by a teenager working at McDonalds.

Maybe he is a teenager working at McDonald's, tough guy. :colbert: