Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Commissar Kip posted:

Ah okay. So, do I save the whales now or do I have to wait till this month is over?

EDIT:
So even for saving them wales I'm on the oathbreaker list? Is there no repentance?

From the OP:
How to Save Your Failed Oath (Save Da Whales)
We all screw up from time to time, and it’s no different with failed oaths. You can save your failed oaths if you want, AND be eligible for a prize at the end of the year, so here we are encouraging you to fail! (Really though, don’t fail and be a nasty Oathbreaker. Or go ahead.)

To save a failed, oath, all you have to do is follow the same steps as above for oathing a model, with these exceptions:
You need to clearly say you’re going to ‘Save Da Whales!’.
The model(s) can be in any incomplete stage - part-painted is fine in this case.
A link to your original failed oath is required (you won’t be eligible for the season-ending prize without it) - quoting your original post is fine.
Post a picture of your complete saved oath with ‘I’ve Saved Da Whales!’.
You can’t earn any points from judges, the Log or completion - the only thing you get out of this (apart from finishing your unloved models) is the entry into the season-ending prize from Leperflesh.

Since I'm at the top of a new page, just a
:siren: REMINDER FOR THE DEADLINE :siren:

To make it super-easy to figure out when the cut-off time for new or completed oaths is, as well as to know when you have to post your completed oath, here are the deadline times:

Cutoff Time in local time
US Pacific time: 5 PM
US Mountain time: 6 PM
US Central time: 7 PM
US Easter time: 8 PM
UK time: 1 AM
Central EU time: 2 AM
Perth, upside-downland: 8AM (the morning of the 1st)
Australian Eastern Time: 10AM Saturday (the morning of the 1st

These are just the times to cover 90% of SA posters, don't be offended if your time zone is not included. And if you are offended, well screw you! If you don't know what time 0:00 GMT is in your time zone, use this link for all your time-telling needs!

Reminders will be posted before the new oath cut-off time, as well as before the oath complete cut-off time. In general, there's no way I'm going to be awake at 1 AM local time, no matter what day it is, so I'll post something 2-4 hours ahead of time and we'll use the forum server timestamps to figure out who posted their oaths a minute too late!

I will endeavor to get the slideshows done, posted in the OP and delivered to the judges by the 3rd of each month - this gives me time to deal with weekends (sometimes I work on the weekends) and whatever comes up with my day job, etc. The judges will then deliver their judgements as soon as they are able to.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Commissar Kip posted:

Ah okay. So, do I save the whales now or do I have to wait till this month is over?

EDIT:
So even for saving them wales I'm on the oathbreaker list? Is there no repentance?

Saving the whales means in a future month you go back and complete an oath you have previously failed. So yes, you fail the oath, get whatever (trivial) consequences or avatars that might come with that, and then redeem yourself later.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Can you save the whales for Oaths failed last year?

Binbag
May 10, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Do you want to use a different picture with your username in the photo? it's a free point!

I'm alright. Points are points, but I just want some motivation to paint some stuff I want to paint in amongst all the stuff I "need" to paint.

Frantz
Jan 10, 2013
OATH COMPLETE
You must excuse the horrible pictures, photography, especially with a lovely cameraphone, is not really my thing :(

Since this is my first ever completed oath: Aww, a baby!

Detektuv's Journal

Basecoating done on their bodies

Added the cobber, although I couldn't figure out what colour I wanted their autocannons to be.

With time running out, I decided to go for green (exciting, I know! ;))

Parts List
Games Workshop
- Chaos Space Marine Havocs
- Basing Kit
- Nurgling Green
- Boltgun Metal
- Screaming Skull
- Brass Scorpion
- Eshin Grey
- Iron Breaker
- Seraphim Sepia
- Athonian Camoshade
- Evil Sunz Scarlet
- Atrogranite Texture

Other brands
- Anvil Industries Autocannons
- Model Colour Cavalry Brown
- Winsor & Newton Ivory Black Oil Colour
- Army Painter Uniform Grey spray undercoat

I'm not really happy with these, partly because they were rushed here at the end, but mostly because they are supposed to be plaugemarines, and they aren't the least bit plaugie (is that a thing?). Ah, well, there are certainly more where they came from, so no reason to give up yet ;)

For easy reference, thats: Aww, a baby!, Detektuv's Journal, Parts List and Double the Fun

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Frantz posted:

OATH COMPLETE

-snip-

I'm not really happy with these, partly because they were rushed here at the end, but mostly because they are supposed to be plaugemarines, and they aren't the least bit plaugie (is that a thing?). Ah, well, there are certainly more where they came from, so no reason to give up yet ;)

For easy reference, thats: Aww, a baby!, Detektuv's Journal, Parts List and Double the Fun

It's the "Hvidbalance" option you need for your camera phone, mate! That'll correct for the yellow lighting and at least make the pictures bearable to look at (as far as that is possible with lovely phone cameras). Also, what happened to the chipping you promised to do on the autocannons? :v: Other than that, pretty sweet work considering you started painting in December.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Manifest posted:

Now that my desk/painting station is all unpacked I cannot WAIT to oath for June.
Just torn between doing Gasp3, or a unit of Bane Thralls.

Me3 is always the right answer. :colbert:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Asphyxious posted:

Me3 is always the right answer. :colbert:

He certainly is when it comes to list building.
It's just a matter of whether or not I want to crank out a unit, or spend all month making him pretty.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

EDIT: Bonus shot on plain background

Detektuv’s Jurnal

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 31, 2013

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

I have 5 CONVERTED plague marines which I think count as a THEME too. Here are the before pictures. These were some of the primed guys and the bare plastic Sergeant.

And some WIP shots too:

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.
OATH COMPLETE!

AWWWW, A BABY!

DOUBLE THE FUN

DETEKTUV'S JOURNAL

PARTS LIST

Airbrush
Primer (Mr Sufacer 1200 + Mr Hobby Leveling Thinner)

Army Painter Warpaints
Crystal Blue
Daemonic Yellow
Weapon Bronze
Tanned Flesh
Pure Red
Dragon Red
Oak Brown
Monster Brown
Greenskin
Angel Green
Skeleton Bone
Matt Black
Shining Silver
Soft Tone Ink
Strong Tone Ink

Games Workshop
Hawk Turquoise
Yellow Wash
'Ardcoat
Dead Grass Static Grass

P3 Paints
Thamar Black
Ironhull Grey
Trollblood Highlight

Woodland Scenics
Scenic Cement
Fine/Medium Ballast
Soft Flake Snow
Water Effects

He's a conversion too, but I don't have a before pic, so I'll just save it for another time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren: Now with edge highlighting. Which you can barely see on the green, but is quite obvious on the black.

Claiming THEMED GROUP for these gals.

DETEKTUV'S JOURNAL

Fully washed. Hair is super easy if you use a light base, a wash and then re touch the high spots with the base.

Color base coated.

White under coat over the grey primer so I don't go mad painting white by hand.

Claiming PARTS LIST

Golden Fluid Acrylics
Titanium White
Green Gold

Americana
Hauser Light Green
Asphaltum
Lamp Black
Light Avacado

Folk Art
Blue Ink
Raw Sienna

Ceramcoat
Hippo Grey

Vallejo
Dark Flesh
Iraqui Sand
Grey Surface Primer

Citadel
Reikland Fleshshade
Nulin Oil

Other Stuff
Bag of flock I have laying about

THEMED GROUP plus PARTS LIST lets me claim DOUBLE THE FUN

:siren:OATH ADDITION COMPLETE:siren:

Claiming BOX ART for this fellow.

He also qualifies me for the monthly Corvus Belli draw.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 31, 2013

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

You missed out on a point because you don't have your username in your oath complete photo. On the other hand, you painted up enough models that you can do Themed Group. Please post to let me know if you add either of these to your oath complete post.

I would like to add both the username and Themed Group to this oath. Thanks!

lunchbox624
May 6, 2013
OATH COMPLETE

First Oath ever completed Aww, a baby!
Original post

Detektuv's Journal

Models base coated and getting a heavy Eathshade wash

Painted dem guns red

Poorly tried to mark off my hazard stripe lines

one down, the rest of the detail work to go.

The gang lined up

Full Gallery with all my pics for this Oath http://imgur.com/a/UNMPG

Parts list
I primed the models using P3 White

all Other Paints are Citadel

Ushabti Bone
Agrax Eartchshade
White SCar
Abaddon Black
Rhinox Hide
Scab Red
Snot Green
Eshin Grey
Wild Rider Red
Dawnstone
Temple Gaurd Blue
Macragge Blue
Regal Blue
Mepheston Red
Caliban Green
Sycrax Bronze
Khorne Red
Genestealer Purple
Hoeth Blue
Thunderhawk Blue
Liche Purple
Sotek Green
Baneblade Brown
Teclis Blue
Beastial Brown
Flash Gitz Yellow
Averland Sunset
Skarskin Green
Gorthor Brown
Graveyard Earth
Nuln Oil
Leadbelcher
Dwarf Bronze
Gehenna's Gold
Balthasar Gold
Goblin Green
Screaming Bell
Ironbreaker
Snakebite Leather
Mythrill Silver
Bases are made from pine bark and the ice and snow is from the GW Norther Waste base kit

Does this qualify for theme and double the fun? I wasnt sure because its only 4 models.

lunchbox624 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 31, 2013

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
May Oath Complete

It's nice to be able to photograph things outside, plenty of sunlight after I get home from work.

For the Detektuv's Journal, I have the following:

I decided to try assembling and painting the separate halves of each bike before gluing them together. It was much easier to get the fiddly bits under the legs or front wheel Taucatcher, but I ended up with scuffs when I put the legs on, and a bigassed gap along the seam. Probably won't do it this way in the future.

This is something that DID work well, I added the front wheel guard bit after painting the rest of the bike, and covered it with gesso to prime. It left a very smooth surface ready to take paint, I did the same thing on the handlebar/arm assemblies too. Would definitely do this again.

"Ready to krump sumfing, once I get da bike down from ere!"

Ok, lemme build some road for you. Nothing super complex here, but I did try painting a layer of GW textured paint down before re-coating in black. It helped to add some extra grit and randomized texture to the base, but it ended up breaking off and getting everywhere when I was trying to lay down the road stripes. Whatever, I just have to use the stuff up somehow...

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE!

THEMED GROUP

If the journal and theme group count towards two things then Double the Fun

DETEKTUV'S JOURNAL

I managed to finish the Angelius in a single sitting and had I known I'd be doing that I would have done speedpainting for it but alas. started on the other two beasts.

Basecoats on the beasts done, comparison of the yellow that goes beneath before the mentalic coating. I'm not 100% sure but I feel it brightens up the brass colour a bit where the yellow is beneath.

Thagrosh before the essence of life washes over him.

I will admit, I could have done a lot better particularly on the two samey beasts but I'm impressed I managed to get them done at all. Being stuck in a hospital for a good chunk of the month and being bedridden for a lot of the rest makes it hard to get painting done.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:OAF COMPLETE:siren:

Slaanesh herald bros! Going for a tabletop kinda standard on these guys, didn't have a lot of time this month.

Here's the progression of Detektuv's Jurnal WIP shots, mostly showcasing the staggering array of poor lighting situations I paint in:

Blocking out the base colors. I primed black because I thought most of their attire would be dark or metallic, but that turned out to be a bad call on the little guy. Hooray for Ceramite White!

Then I got a bit excited and finished the little fella, but here's the other two in a post-wash state I think.

Picked out a few highlights and details. I also gave their black armor plates a gloss coat. I rather like the high sheen over black, it looks much better in person of course.

Stage one of the bases I glued some hacked up grey stuff and coarse foam onto them.

Stage two is to spread some PVA glue and dip them in my grey sand/gravel mix. It comes out a bit bright so I then wash it with black.

A little drybrush of white to the base for a frosty look and we're done! Again, didn't have much time to get my makeshift cardboard light box to provide an optimal result, but it'll do I think.

Up close on the little guy cuz I like him the best.

Quick rundown of my achieved points as I have it:
1 for the AP shot
1 for the bases
5 for the finished shots
1 for the username
2 for the Detektuv's Jurnal (WIP shots)
= 10 points total

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

EDIT:

When Kirk and the crew went back in time to the 1980s and brought pregnant Gracie the Humpbacked Whale into the future, they did a good thing and everyone was proud of them and also they saved the world. But nothing could truly erase the shame of Mankind's having hunted the Humpback into extinction in the alternate original timeline in which Star Trek the Original Series took place. Truly we should all be ashamed.

Thundercloud posted:

Can you save the whales for Oaths failed last year?

No, sorry. That could give an unfair advantage to folks who failed lots of oaths last year: you could simultaneously earn tons of points through this year while also winning the whales prize, and that wouldn't be right!

TheBlobThing posted:

It's the "Hvidbalance" option you need for your camera phone, mate! That'll correct for the yellow lighting and at least make the pictures bearable to look at (as far as that is possible with lovely phone cameras).

Many cameras also refer to this as "white balance".

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren:

DETEKTUV'S JOURNAL

Base coated.

Under coat.

I'm going to have to be a stickler here, I think. The rules for this month's Theme say you have to take at least three in-progress photos of your work. Even broadly interpreting the undercoating in your original oath pic as one, you still have only two in-progress photos here. You'll need to add at least one more in order to qualify. :(

However,

quote:

THEMED GROUP plus PARTS LIST lets me claim DOUBLE THE FUN

Themed Group doesn't help you qualify for Double the Fun. You do still qualify for combining the Box Art with Parts List though!

Bionic Psyker posted:

I would like to add both the username and Themed Group to this oath. Thanks!

You need to add this photo to your Oath Complete post! That way the link to your Oath Complete post will include the above photo. Please post to let me know when you've done that, thanks!

lunchbox624 posted:

OATH COMPLETE

Does this qualify for theme and double the fun? I wasnt sure because its only 4 models.

Only four models at 28mm scale does not qualify you for Themed Group. However, you do get Double the Fun, because you did Parts List plus the Detektuv's Journal! Also I realize you did do some extra arms and a missile rack, so if Ineptmule wants to rule that those are equivalent to a fifth model I'd accept that. It's up to him though.

Ledgem posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

THEMED GROUP
Unfortunately, as with Lunchbox up above, four models at 28mm scale isn't enough to qualify for the bimonthly Themed Group drawing. I realize two of your models are fairly large, but I am strictly interpreting the rules as given by Ineptmule, the prize sponsor.

quote:

If the journal and theme group count towards two things then Double the Fun
In any case, the Themed Group bimonthly drawing does not qualify for Double the Fun. To get Double the Fun, you must do at least two of: the monthly Detektuv's Jurnal (you can do the current month or any past month), and the One-Time Bonuses (which are worth one point each, once) (not including Aww, a Baby). The spirit of Double the Fun is to encourage folks to apply two different painting/modeling challenges to the same Oath.

Everyone
I know as we cram through the last day of the month I'm likely to make errors. I am also finding I have to make a certain amount of judgement calls... that's not something I originally anticipated but probably I should have. I'm really glad I recused myself from earning points this year! In any case, please don't take my rulings as final if you think you've been gypped. Speak up and make your case. Krushgroove is also here and we will work together to make final decisions on points questions. If you don't want to post in the thread you can PM me or send me email (my user name at gmail.com).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 31, 2013

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Ledgem was however told that his group qualified due to the large size, if I remember correctly.

e: yep

ineptmule posted:

You're all good for the theme prize. The three 50mm dudes look big enough and the smaller guy tips it over to certainty.

Asphyxious fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 31, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yep, I've ruled that it's the size of the models that matters and not the strict definition of the scale.

I'd say Ledgem's Everblight guys qualify.

Unfortunately Lunchbox624, while the extra bits you painted probably are equivalent to a mini in size/volume, the idea of the theme is to groups of dudes together, so I'm afraid you'll need five full models of around 28mm height to qualify.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

quote:

You need to add this photo to your Oath Complete post! That way the link to your Oath Complete post will include the above photo. Please post to let me know when you've done that, thanks!

Done and done!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

I'm claiming points for Awwww, it's a baby! and the Detektuv’s Jurnal, featured here:

Zael basecoated with Mechrite Red and shaded with Minitaire Purple Ghost Tint

Lorenzo with basecoats, highlights, shading, and Liquid Gold metals

Zael's flamer, prior to washing/adding "heat stains" to the nozzle

More images in my gallery here (which I'll probably be fiddling with/adding pics to for a bit as I'm still trying to work out how to get a good white balance on this camera): http://imgur.com/a/e4U2a

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
:siren: Mmtheblue Oath Complete! :siren:

I think the Scouts can count for the Themed Group.

Detektuv's Journal:

Base painted, scouts washed, and clothing painted dark grey:

Slightly more painted:

More base coats:

Base coated:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Asphyxious posted:

Ledgem was however told that his group qualified due to the large size, if I remember correctly.

e: yep

Well alright then! I've credited Ledgem.

Bionic Psyker posted:

Done and done!

Great, you're all set.

I put together an Interesting Statistics sheet which lets me figure some stuff out automatically. As of right now, we have 125 original oaths and 64 completed oaths. There are about 28 unique manufacturers of models featured (counting all GW variations as one brand, and including one unidentified maker). 28 original oaths are Themed Groups (not all are complete yet, and we may still have some more oaths wind up being themed groups). And 8 goons oathed converted models, not counting one goon who has completed an oath but didn't have photos of his conversions.

So far I think we're doing pretty well but we could as many as 60 Oath Complete posts over the next day and if that happens I'm gonna be pretty swamped!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, swear a mighty and terrible oath to paint 20 Night Goblins, no matter how many lovely little shields they carry

(First time oath-swearer!)

Oath Complete!

Journal WIP's:

Bases painted and some blocking in of colors on the shields and skin.

All colors blocked in, ready to move on to inking and such

Shields in varying stages of completion.

On the march, or something.

Since this is my first oath ever, I qualify for Aww, it's a Baby.
I can call this a themed group, right? They're all the same model type but they do make up a single unit. If not, I'll wait for next month, I'll have a bigger variety of models.

I also have one minor issue with my complete oath... I'd had one shield set aside for the champion (a lizardman shield) that was in my first picture, but almost immediately I decided it looked dumb and wasn't going to work so I swapped it out for a round shield that was larger than the standard goblin one. You can see this shield in the first WIP and the completed photo, so the switch happened before the project started. I guess if it's a big deal I could paint the shield from the original picture before tomorrow and take a picture of it, but I'd rather not.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Many cameras also refer to this as "white balance".

Not on his phone camera. But that is true, for all of you non-Danish goons out there: the setting is called "white balance" in English. Sorry if I confused any of you. :v:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Group shot!

I decided to combine my Parts List and Detektuv’s Jurnal into one tutorial:

Also, that was Speed Painted and should qualify for Double the Fun.

Death Guard, which qualify as a Theme:

And finally, the model that I can't even photograph with a white background properly: The Archangel!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Under 15 posted:

Oath Complete!

Journal WIP's:

Bases painted and some blocking in of colors on the shields and skin.

All colors blocked in, ready to move on to inking and such

Shields in varying stages of completion.

On the march, or something.

Since this is my first oath ever, I qualify for Aww, it's a Baby.
I can call this a themed group, right? They're all the same model type but they do make up a single unit. If not, I'll wait for next month, I'll have a bigger variety of models.

I also have one minor issue with my complete oath... I'd had one shield set aside for the champion (a lizardman shield) that was in my first picture, but almost immediately I decided it looked dumb and wasn't going to work so I swapped it out for a round shield that was larger than the standard goblin one. You can see this shield in the first WIP and the completed photo, so the switch happened before the project started. I guess if it's a big deal I could paint the shield from the original picture before tomorrow and take a picture of it, but I'd rather not.

This does indeed qualify as a themed group!

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
OATH COMPLETE

Closeups

Nothing like hideously gigantic pictures to make you ashamed of your ability to paint

Parts list
Primer
- Vallejo White Surface Primer (on undead dwarf)
- Vallejo Cam. Light Green (on GW elf)

Vallejo Game Color
- Escorpana Green
- Heavy Brown
- Khaki
- Goblin Green
- Fluo Green (glows a little in the dark!)
- Dead Flesh
- Hexed Lichen
- Ultramarine Blue
- Heavy Red

Citadel Colours
- Chainmail
- Orkhide Shade
- Calthan Brown
- Blood Red

Citadel washes/shades/glazes
- Druchii Violet
- Reikland Fleshshade
- Waywatcher Green
- Casandora Yellow (should be named Casandora Red...)

Homemade wash from Les Burleys recipe
- 50/50 medium and water (30 ml bottle)
- 21 drops of sephia
- 15 drops of black
- 2 drops of red
- 1 drop of green
- a bit of flow aid

Other stuff
- Vallejo gloss & satin varnish
- Vallejo thinner
- Vallejo retarder
- A bunch of skin from my fingers that I superglued to the minis. It's just not proper painting if you don't make yourself bleed.

Detektuv’s Jurnal

Red Shoe that is just an amazing dragon thingie. Hooooly crap

Avenger_Mullah fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 31, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That Archangel is really nice.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I thought I did well to actually get three models painted this month. Holy gently caress Red Shoe :stare:

I do love the last days of the month and seeing everyone's oaths coming in. All looking awesome.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
God drat red shoe.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
Oath Complete!

The Detektuv’s Jurnal

As my first oath, this knocks out Awwww, a BABY!, and the Necron are my entry for this month's Themed Group

The rules post makes it sound like I should mention everything in my oath complete post, so I may have gone a little overboard on the bold here.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
:catdrugs:Oath Complete:catdrugs:

Here are my 5 Dark Elf Spearmans and the two Converted* Heroes, also claiming as a Themed Group

*I don't have pictures of them before I made them, so I don't know if that disqualifies me or not. they're completely kitbashed models from my bits box, I think they're mostly corsairs/spearmen with random bits glued on.

Group Shot:

Heroes:

Still working out how to use the camera/lightbox setup

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Oath Complete!

Also son of a bitch is that superglue on its leg that dripped down, motherfucker I have to fix that now and that's going to suck. Looks like I'll be doing some "weathering" on my model tonight.

And this is my first one, so that completes the Awwww, a baby! bonus.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
My sleep suffered slightly this week from that Archangel. I was planning to get most of the work on the flesh done with an airbrush but in my youthful innocence of last week I didn't realize how defined the musculature was, so it ended up being a painstaking paintbrush project.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Yeah, since the cutoff is at 5PM PST tonight and I don't get home til at least 7, gonna have to declare my Oath Failed. They're almost done, but this week has been crazy busy. I'll Save Da Whales the next month I declare. :)

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

The Detektuv’s Jurnal
I've never painted horses before so I started out with a few test colors. Apple Barrel Chocolate Bar is a reddish brown I use a lot for dirt and I thought it would be good for horses. Plus I wanted a few lighter ones that were cinnamon and then one black horse.

I then experimented with washing them using strong tone for the dark brown (chocolate bar), light tone for the cinnamon, and dark tone for the black that had a dark grey highlight applied first.

Usually I do base colors (pic 1) and then slop a heap of strong tone on the whole thing which is really shiny because it's not quite dry (pic 2). I'm still experimenting though. My goblin figures seem to look good with a bright highlight after the strong tone wash, gives them sort of a cell shaded look. Even just a bright dab of green on their head looks good at tabletop height and makes such small miniatures really pop in their tight ranks. I'm not sure I want to do that with these guys, might decide they need brighter helmets. Also, that spear looks really big in the close up photo but looks pretty good down on the table.

Here they are all done attacking some orcs! These aren't the brightly colored goblins I mentioned earlier but some darker toned black orcs but I think they got a little to dark. Might have to do more highlighting all around but sometimes I like them sometimes not. Depends on lighting and my mood.

Parts List

From left to right: cinnamon, chocolate bar, green isle (capes), fresh cut grass (shields), bark brown, spice brown, country maple, suede, white, basic fleshtone, cocoa, walnut. I also used the golden yellow towards the back.

Army Painter washes are really handy.

I use washers for my bases and Aleene's tacky glue to apply red lizard sand from the pet store which are then painted with Apple Barrel chocolate bar and a dry brush of Apple Barrel Nutmeg with some white added to taste. The flock is sawdust mixed with grass green from liquitex basics line plus a few flakes from another color I can't remember.

Hand me my bottle because Awwww, a BABY!

10mm is a fun scale to work in because it is big enough for some nice details but you can still get that army scale feel and all with out breaking the bank.

Illudere fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 31, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leperflesh posted:

I'm going to have to be a stickler here, I think. The rules for this month's Theme say you have to take at least three in-progress photos of your work. Even broadly interpreting the undercoating in your original oath pic as one, you still have only two in-progress photos here. You'll need to add at least one more in order to qualify. :(

Fair enough, I had 7 or 8 pictures cataloging each step but my camera poo poo the bed and all but the colored basecoat image was corrupted :sigh:. I will assure you that the models were primed grey and that the white base is an additional step, I only included it as I lost all my other images. What I will do is an edge highlight on the boots and armor so that I will use the current COMPLETE images was a WIP and resubmit my OATH COMPLETE with the edge highlights before the deadline tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

Bases are detailed Space Hulk things, so no sand.

• Locked thread