Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

baka kaba posted:

And what kind of bird is that, looming above the treeline in the far distance? Is it a T-Rex? Does the queen know Unix systems?

It's a black grouse and it's looming above a heatherline in the close-distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on William Hague and the EU arms embargo - Foreign secretary's campaign with France to partially supply rebels is met by continued resistance at home and across EU"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:

quote:

‘Your husband, Mrs Thompson? No. sorry, haven’t seen him.’

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Wow, this is terrible

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mac sure is big on his "poor blokes having to deal with their WIVES and their NEEDS" stories

Fluo
May 25, 2007

This whole Syrian arms thing is getting depressing, feels like another proxy war is going to be on full throttle. :smith:

Cloud Potato posted:

Daily Mail:

"A soldier has been hacked to death on the street in London by terrorists."

Going back to this from the page before, this was in the news yesterday.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/help-heroes-charity-not-accept-1916745

quote:

Help for Heroes charity will not accept donations raised by English Defence League.
The charity will check for any further donations from EDL members and said they would not accept any donations from the group.

Forces charity Help for Heroes has announced they will not accept any donations raised by the leader of the English Defence League Tommy Robinson.

The EDL leader started fundraising following last week's murder of soldier Lee Rigby in Woolwich, south-east London, but a spokesman for Help for Heroes said the JustGiving page set up by Mr Robinson would be closed down and all donations would be refunded.

The charity will check for any further donations from EDL members and said they would not accept any donations from the group.

A Help for Heroes spokesman said: "He's the only one that's come to our attention but tonight we'll be doing a cross-count to make sure that anyone else that's saying they're EDL will not be allowed to fundraise for us.

"It's the same for any political party, we don't allow political fundraising. As a charity, we're non-political."

Mr Robinson's Just Giving page shows that the EDL leader has raised more than £3,300 so far and was aiming to raise £5,000 with a sponsored walk across London.

On the page, Mr Robinson wrote: "On Saturday the 29th June I am going to walk from Westminster in West London to Woolwich in East London (Just over 17 miles) to lay a wreath in support of our troops (Lee Rigby RIP).

"I plan to raise as much money as possible for Help for Heroes."

Guardian:

First 2 IF.. strips for week.

Steve Bell on the EU-Russia plans for providing arms in Syria.
Russia says it will supply anti-aircraft missiles to Assad regime after EU ends its arms embargo on the country's rebels.

It's also a homage to Les Gibbard.

Russia slams EU move to lift arms ban on Syrian rebels.
http://www.france24.com/en/20130528-eu-lifts-arms-embargo-syria-opposition-rebels-diplomacy-hague

US calls Russian arms sales to Syrian government a 'mistake' – live updates
• Obama asks Pentagon to draw up plan for Syria no-fly zone-report
• Russia to send anti-aircraft missiles to deter 'hotheads'
• London and Paris force EU to let arms embargo lapse
• US policy unrelated to EU decision, state department says
• Investigation finds chemical weapons exposure
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2013/may/28/eu-lifts-arms-embargo-on-syrian-rebels-live-updates

Telegraph:

DEBT MOUNTAIN! :suicide:

Indy:

Express:

A thing happened and a person died = political cartoon.

Bill Pertwee, who played Warden Hodges in Dad's Army, has died, his agent has confirmed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22680499

Vandals deface two London war memorials with 'Islam' graffiti.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/vandals-deface-two-london-war-memorials-with-islam-graffiti-8633386.html

____

For both the Indy and Telegraph one its this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22684993

quote:

George Osborne: Seven departments agree new cuts.
George Osborne has reached agreement with seven Whitehall departments on savings he wants made in 2015.

George Osborne has reached agreement with seven Whitehall departments on savings he wants made in 2015.

The chancellor said he had found 20% of the £11.5bn he wants to cut spending by in the year from April 2015.

Justice, energy and communities are among the departments agreeing to "significant savings", he said, adding that health, schools and foreign aid would be protected from cuts. [...]

:psyboom:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 29, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Never penned Steve Bell as a GI Joe fan. That being said, William Hague does strikes me as Destro with the whole arms trafficking. :v:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Never penned Steve Bell as a GI Joe fan. That being said, William Hague does strikes me as Destro with the whole arms trafficking. :v:

It's COBR/COBRA (they removed the A but people still call it COBRA lol).

quote:

Cabinet Office Briefing Room, a secure facility of the United Kingdom government that co-ordinates action during an emergency, previously known as Cabinet Office Briefing Room A

:unsmigghh:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The old man is literally reading the words in the speech bubble.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

First 2 IF.. strips for week.

What's happened to "Badger" Courage? Has he finally been retired? :(

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"British forces are detaining up to 85 Afghan nationals at Camp Bastion, in what may be deemed unlawful detention" The online version seems to be quite badly cropped, missing the website link on the right and the wheels of the stretcher below.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:

quote:

‘Typical. It’s the weekend, you’re relaxing with friends in the pub, then some b*****d has to have an emergency operation!’
Link via BBC News: Surgery 'has growing death risk through the week'

Express:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

God drat it Mac that'd be a decent comic if not for that black dude.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Get that cat off the worksurface, you cook food there. And also stop reading the Express.
Check out that fox on the fence though. Pretty sweet. "Hey fox, decided already" is what I'd say.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Mr. Squishy posted:

Get that cat off the worksurface, you cook food there. And also stop reading the Express.
Check out that fox on the fence though. Pretty sweet. "Hey fox, decided already" is what I'd say.

Pretty sure that cat is in a litter box on the kitchen top... Which is precisely the sort of thing those EU fatcats want to ban good British households from doing.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Last two If... cartoons this week!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like I've seen entirely too much of the Prime Minister's cartoon breasts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

God drat it Mac that'd be a decent comic if not for that black dude.

Um what's wrong with the black dude?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

He's drawn the way Mac draws all black people, which is to say literally pitch black.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

At least he's not.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Flython posted:

At least he's not.

Huh, 2001. That's 30 to 40 years after the date I would have guessed.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

cafel posted:

Huh, 2001. That's 30 to 40 years after the date I would have guessed.

Bear in mind he was 65 when he drew that, so he's pretty much grown up in an openly institutionally racist time and environment. It's a horrible racist cartoon, but you can't really expect too much from Mac. That the Daily Mail thought it was acceptable to publish though, cripes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

*zot*

Never mind, I saw the newspaper. I was thinking of a different time period.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Yeah MAC is generally outright racist.

From the first page:

Fluo posted:

Stanley McMurtry aka MAC [From the Daily Mail]

I love how people say he is apolitical when he is a massive right-wing poo poo.

quote:

Mac was granted an MBE in the 2003 New Year's honours list for "services to the newspaper industry"

In most of his daily cartoons, Mac includes a small portrait of his wife hidden within the picture. He does not include her when the cartoon makes a political statement, or when it depicts a tragedy

quote:

'Isn't that romantic, George, dear? Mr and Mr Smith would like the bridal suite.'

quote:

“Thank heavens today we won’t be wasting time discussing the economy or Syria.”

quote:

“We’ve been invited to a wedding…Who the hell are Hotlips and Bunnykins?”

:suicide:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I want to know which ones contain portraits of his wife. Also nice work by him getting a racist black person caricature into the football crowd too, don't think I spotted that one before.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I know about mac. That doesn't make the black guy in the operating room any more racist.

Everything mac does=racist
Everything Steve Bell does=never racist, you American you don't know anything!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The hospital one really isn't racist.

e: Uh I mean the new one, not the one with a loving witch doctor

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The hospital one really isn't racist.

e: Uh I mean the new one, not the one with a loving witch doctor
Agreed. We know that had Mac drawn that person facing us he would have made them an offensive caricature, but let's stick to making fun of what he actually draws instead of what he might have done. That's bad enough.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's more that Mac's style involves shading black people as literally black (sometimes with two staring eyes under a hoodie) instead of, y'know, a more realistic grey. He seems to have been better recently but he's actually a talented cartoonist, so you can't pin it on sheer technical ineptitude (obvious reference goes here).

I still don't like that cartoon because it's the usual reactionary 'uncaring NHS staff not doing their jobs properly' wankery

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Am I the only one who can see the ridiculously enormous lips he's drawn on his black guy?

Kfroog
Nov 9, 2012
That's a left ear.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think that just drawing a black person as black is, in and of itself, racist. Like he probably would have drawn the racist gollywog face on him if he was facing the other direction, but as it is he just put a black person in the cartoon without saying he's a criminal or a witch doctor, which seems like progress

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Hey, guys! An American cartoonist has weighed in on UKanian affairs, and I know you're always looking to hear more wisdom from our Yank illustrators.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Aha! A very clever take on the classic "lions led by donkeys" quote. The cartoonist has inserted another player into the quote: the sheep. They represent the media, shown here as a group of stalkers wielding cameras while standing idly by.

The cartoon makes the very valid point that the government (offscreen donkeys) are held enthralled to the media's sensationalism, and the repercussions of these populist, hatemongering opinions falls on the poorest of society (represented here by the lion, the British working class man enrolled in the army), which in turn are then reported without greater context by the media. A comment on how the masquerade feeds itself in a cyclical fashion.

A Good Cartoon.

gently caress, American cartoons are awful

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 31, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

prefect posted:

Hey, guys! An American cartoonist has weighed in on UKanian affairs, and I know you're always looking to hear more wisdom from our Yank illustrators.

To start with I had no idea what the cartoonist was even trying to say, but I think I figured out that it's criticizing bystanders for not pulling out guns instead of phones and shooting the killers full of holes.

e: or that ^^

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

big scary monsters posted:

To start with I had no idea what the cartoonist was even trying to say, but I think I figured out that it's criticizing bystanders for not pulling out guns instead of phones and shooting the killers full of holes.

e: or that ^^

Oh, yeah. You've learned to understand Mike Lester.

I'll stop sullying your thread with our horrible cartoons now. :)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

From the If... Archive

In the summer of 1981, the Guardian was looking to have a recurring cartoon strip of its very own; so they went out and found a man with a beard.

That was his idea; a different suggestion every day.

It's not hard to see why this format didn't last long; there just isn't enough time to properly expand and play with most of the concepts, and they just come off as pithy and shallow. If... began appear in the paper in its original form in November 1981.

There were a few recurring themes. "If...X were a Social Democrat", "If...(Party) were a Y", and so on; but come the new year, the different-suggestion idea was dropped and the strip began doing whatever the hell it pleased.

The strip began to take its current form, examining some particular thing or proposition for a week (or more) at a time; that was the last effort from the week of the Glasgow Hillhead by-election, won by Woy Jenkins for the SDP. It still focused on direct satire of politicians and politics; but all that changed a month later. The international situation deteriorated rapidly, and there was only one thing that the Navy could do!

(missing)

(I went to Steve Bell's website and found that he's been trying to archive all his old strips on there. There are some gaps where he hasn't yet been able to find individual strips, but it's mostly complete and I think people might be interested in some archive material to fill the gap on Fridays.)

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

prefect posted:

Why does the attacker have red hands before he's landed a blow? And why do his sheep look like camels?

That cartoon is loving terrible too.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

prefect posted:

"Thank god that brave black man managed to take down that ferocious lion roaming around the neighbo-baaaaah baaaaah baaaaaah"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"The European commission has been accused of a land grab by the work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith"

Telegraph:

Tories 'n' Europe.

Independent:

Archaeopteryx restored in fossil reshuffle; :clegg:

Daily Mail:

quote:

‘Yes, it is a bit bumpy. That’s where the taxman was standing when our heavy roller accidentally went over him.’

Express:

The return of Big News Sign!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Has he always been hiding foxes everywhere or is this a new thing?
e: Hopefully soon, the Express cartoon will drown itself in easter eggs. Each one will just be a mosaic of wild-life hiding behind one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Maybe he's in favour of relegalising fox hunting? That is a pretty terrible "a thing happened" cartoon, though. I think it's actually less substantive than just a headline saying the same thing.

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

Tories 'n' Europe.
Poor old Tories, the EU is so mean to them what with its insistence on poor people having rights and mandatory immigration and what not.

• Locked thread