Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Chexoid posted:

Here's a test OP and first update for a SSLP of Blackwell: Unbound.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12845

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12838

The Dark Id started the series but then went off to do other stuff, and I loving love those games so I figured I might as well step in to finish them?

Yeah, I'm not wild about the smileys either (especially since there's a limit on those, hombre, and you'll run out quick, most updates!), and, on top of that... Yeah, sure, I understand that you wanna skip "boring" dialogue, but there's a lot in the so-called "incidental" stuff that's actually extremely important, or at least important to understanding the characters, bit by bit.

drat good example: Lauren's a chain-smoker (like me). The bucket shows it, Joey's extremely sarcastic lines about the ashtrays show it, and it's not hard to work out why she does it: Because a) It wasn't a big thing back then, and b) this job is stressful!

And, as a final point... the VA. The sound. I know it's a point and click adventure, Chexoid, but it's a short one, and, with a walkthrough and a bit of experimenting, you can show off pretty much everything the game has to offer with subbed videos. Or dubbed. And it has a fair bit more to offer than just pixellated peoples.

Essentially, I guess I'm saying "Why do an SSLP, when it's not going to demo things that do want demoing, because, let's face it, pixel adventure games are ten a penny, and many don't even have VA, let alone of the quality these do..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

ultrafilter posted:

Looks good overall. I'm not wild about using smilies to represent the characters; perhaps you can make icons for each character instead.

JamieTheD posted:

Good Words

Hey thanks for the advice. Yea, I kind of just threw in the emoticons as a placeholder since Unbound is the only game in the series without talksprites, and I thought just putting in little icons of their pixellated heads would look super dumb. But that doesn`t matter anyway since Jamie is totes right.

I went with a SSLP because I just kinda prefer them over VLPs, and I get what you`re saying about the VA stuff. Even though I make fun of it it`s still head and shoulders above what you usually get from these kinda games. I`ll re-do the update in a subbed video and post it back here.

I still think it`s boring to watch someone click every little object in a room though, so how about a compromise? I'll play ahead before I record, and take note of the interesting object interactions, and then just show those without the "it's a door. it's a streetlight." filler stuff.

Thanks again.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
So my Papo & Yo LP is done (and thus my first completed SA LP!) and I'm thinking about emailing baldurk for archiving. I don't have any more content to add (besides maybe just a few contextual edits to my OP text) but I am leaving the thread open for a bit of discussion.. otherwise, should it be fine for archiving? I don't know if the thread needs to be "done" and closed in order to qualify or if it's just the actual updates that need to be fully complete.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Odd thing to ask about but does anyone know whatever happened to The Dark Id? That guy went from consistently banging out great LPs with updates near daily to off the map in short order. Did he die or something?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Chexoid posted:

Hey thanks for the advice. Yea, I kind of just threw in the emoticons as a placeholder since Unbound is the only game in the series without talksprites, and I thought just putting in little icons of their pixellated heads would look super dumb. But that doesn`t matter anyway since Jamie is totes right.

I went with a SSLP because I just kinda prefer them over VLPs, and I get what you`re saying about the VA stuff. Even though I make fun of it it`s still head and shoulders above what you usually get from these kinda games. I`ll re-do the update in a subbed video and post it back here.

I still think it`s boring to watch someone click every little object in a room though, so how about a compromise? I'll play ahead before I record, and take note of the interesting object interactions, and then just show those without the "it's a door. it's a streetlight." filler stuff.

Thanks again.

Another thing you could also do is record audio and take the voice acting out of your audio file and put that up on Tindeck. Then just put it before the cluster of dialogue you want people to hear. It's a lot more work but if you'd rather prefer doing a SSLP, it's a better way to go.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tin Tim posted:

This seems good!

I could read the briefings with a bit of effort. But since my browser can zoom, it wouldn't even be an issue for me. I'd assume most modern browser can do this also. If you want to cover all your bases, you could make a quick summary of those files?

I like your approach to the videos. Having a condensed version of the turns and accompanying narration, is a good alternative to a pure SSLP. Coincidentally, I also toyed with a similar style for the presentation of other strategy games. You could also describe your troops in that little deployment video, but that's probably a matter of taste. You already mentioned autoducking, but your voice should be a bit louder to begin with. Like, even with a ducked game I would have found it to be too quiet. Other than that, I would be onboard.

Thanks! I started the thread here, I decided to write out the briefings so I might also bold the more important bits.

quote:

Also, why have I never heard of this game and don't own it?!

Beats me! There's even been SA LP's of CMSF and British Forces in the past...

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nohman posted:

Odd thing to ask about but does anyone know whatever happened to The Dark Id? That guy went from consistently banging out great LPs with updates near daily to off the map in short order. Did he die or something?

He is posting in other threads so he is very much alive. The last thing I remember hearing was the PS2 he was using for FFX straight up died.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

mateo360 posted:

He is posting in other threads so he is very much alive. The last thing I remember hearing was the PS2 he was using for FFX straight up died.

Last I heard, I think in the LP Recommendation thread, was that he was just taking an extended break and plans to resume LPing at some point.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
How do completionist LPs usually go? I'm talking going above and beyond what the game considers 100% (in-game stat) and actually acquiring ps3/xbox/steam achievements, too?

I ask because one day I'll be LPing a game where I intend to 100% it but I'm also contemplating grabbing all of the achievements and batching them in to bonus/supplemental videos checking them off of a big checklist.

It would probably make for a very lengthy LP but time is not an issue for me, but I'm curious how often completionist LPs are.. completed and how successful they are. I don't plan on making full updates centered around collecting things or tediously chipping away at long-term things but rather throwing together shorter videos summarizing, as bonus to a main(story) update.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

VagueRant posted:

(Someone mentioned something about having BBcode functions in a Notepad style program on the other page and I still really want to know what that was about.)

That was me, and though my workflow is pretty hosed up thanks to the need of translating the text before capturing video and taking screenshots, I can elaborate on that one.

I'm using Textmate with a BBcode plugin and a few custom made snippets I made myself. Textmate is already a fantastic (but expensive) text editor, and the plugin allows me to do things like choose some text and type Command-B/I to bold/italicize it with BBcode tags, or type "url - TAB - <link URL> - TAB - text" to create a URL tag complete with link text. It also has a preview feature that shows me what the post is going to look like without leaving the editor.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Scintilla posted:

It's always a good idea to check GameFAQ's for a game script if you're doing an SSLP of a text-heavy game. Transcription is a real morale-killer and takes up a huge amount of time.

I worship Jeff Vogel and Spiderweb Software for including an in-line text transcriber in their Exile series. Without it, I would have nowhere near as much fun as I do with it.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Sundowner posted:

How do completionist LPs usually go? I'm talking going above and beyond what the game considers 100% (in-game stat) and actually acquiring ps3/xbox/steam achievements, too?

I ask because one day I'll be LPing a game where I intend to 100% it but I'm also contemplating grabbing all of the achievements and batching them in to bonus/supplemental videos checking them off of a big checklist.

It would probably make for a very lengthy LP but time is not an issue for me, but I'm curious how often completionist LPs are.. completed and how successful they are. I don't plan on making full updates centered around collecting things or tediously chipping away at long-term things but rather throwing together shorter videos summarizing, as bonus to a main(story) update.

Off the top of my head, There are the Spyro LPs, the Crash Bandicoot ones, pretty much most collectithon games are completionist ones, hell even Chip Cheezum shows off every god drat thing you can find in a MGS game, including all the codec calls. I think they're pretty common, and if edited well are usually well received.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So how many screenshots per thread page should I limit myself to?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What's a good format to LP shorter games in? Due to the nature of my life I can't really LP longer things and I really think say, Norrland by Cactus should be shown off, but I don't think I could justify making a whole thread for that.

Also, if I can think of a way to do it, I was thinking of using annotations on video so as not to interrupt the mood of the game as much. Has anyone else used them for much effect, or do they typically just distract too much for it to be worth it?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Speedball posted:

Just use the SSLP test poster and focus on how long each update is.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Anatharon posted:

What's a good format to LP shorter games in? Due to the nature of my life I can't really LP longer things and I really think say, Norrland by Cactus should be shown off, but I don't think I could justify making a whole thread for that.

Also, if I can think of a way to do it, I was thinking of using annotations on video so as not to interrupt the mood of the game as much. Has anyone else used them for much effect, or do they typically just distract too much for it to be worth it?

I actually asked about short games a few pages ago and was directed to this thread. You could always do subtitles if you don't want to intrude on the games tone or message. I did that recently with Papo & Yo and people didn't seem to mind. I had maybe 10-15 lines of commentary per 20~ minute video.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Regardless of the length, format is based on one simple rule: "Does it show off what I want to, without boring people to tears?"

For example, you may notice that most JRPGs, regardless of their length, are either highly edited video, SSLP, or hybrid in nature. This is because watching you grind mobs for fifty hours before anything interesting happens is not fun. For reference on how not to do it, hit my youtube channel and look up the Recettear playlist (that one's incomplete, but makes the point). I only keep it because it's educational like that...

For atmospheric games, like Thief, either subs or vewwwwy quiet, moderately sparse commentary works quite well (Bobbin Threadbare's Thief LP is the perennial example of how to do post-commentary over a moderately atmospheric game, Brainamp's Bioshock LP shows off subs).

But as far as length goes, if it's less than three videos, and not gonna be part of some megathread about games, then it would most likely find a good home in the short games megathread. If it can be finished in one, it might work in the Let's Try and Fail thread, although people might get a bit narked that you've not so much tried it as beaten it...

In any case, your main thing is how to show stuff off in an entertaining manner. Speaking of which, my computer is being repaired (read: replaced) next friday, so the Afterblank LP will be back soonish, and I may have a test post incoming in a lil' while!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Sundowner posted:

It's entirely up to you to decide how much you want to get completion. I usually go for as close to 100% completion as I can get in my LP's, but it's up to you. People generally don't care about achievements unless they're especially notable (not "you've completed a mandatory step of the main quest, hooray" or "you've killed 500 spiders!"). You can if you want, but so what that you've played the game long enough to get the "kill 100,000 enemies" trophy? A lot of the time, those are just one-off things that can't be gotten again on a second playthrough anyway.

Speedball posted:

It's hard to say. It's more art than science. Your limit should be based mainly on how many screenshots it will take to get an update which is focused mainly around one thing - even if that is just "a bunch of tiny sidequests". Once you have a focused update which works as its own chapter, that's long enough.

It depends on a lot of factors, one of which is the popularity of the thread. Popular, well-known games (or well-known LP'ers) can get away with longer, larger updates because they usually only have one update a page. Lesser known and older games will probably need to accommodate 2-3 updates a page. If people are regularly complaining that their page is lagging, it's too big.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Sundowner posted:

So my Papo & Yo LP is done (and thus my first completed SA LP!) and I'm thinking about emailing baldurk for archiving. I don't have any more content to add (besides maybe just a few contextual edits to my OP text) but I am leaving the thread open for a bit of discussion.. otherwise, should it be fine for archiving? I don't know if the thread needs to be "done" and closed in order to qualify or if it's just the actual updates that need to be fully complete.

It doesn't need to be closed, your OP just needs to be finished because obviously any changes you make to it afterwards won't be in the archive. It usually takes a few days to a couple weeks but he'll email you back with a version that you can verify for accuracy. Don't forget to provide him with a blurb and screenshot:

baldurk posted:

It's recommended but not required to include an archive blurb - a 160x120 image and a paragraph short enough to fit next to it without overflowing, see the top of the front page of the archive for examples.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
The Search for Daxter's Pants: Let's Play The Jak HD Collection

Heres a test post and OP for my Jak HD Collection LP
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12932

Any comments and criticism would be much appreciated.

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.

Ohtsam posted:

Fantastic post! Jak and Daxter was easily one of my top five favorite game franchises on the Playstation®2 and I'd really love to see this as a thread! As someone who likes the game, I'm interested, but it is just an interesting platformer, all around, so you can't go wrong with something with such diverse content!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Ohtsam posted:

Game audio's too loud when you speak.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Ohtsam posted:

From what I could hear, I really liked your commentary but it's hard to hear it most of the time. You might want to autoduck the audio or just flat decrease it during gameplay segments.

I feel like all I ever actually suggest in the sandcastle is autoducking, but it's one of the easiest things you can do to make your videos far better. That wasn't supposed to sound patronizing.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Ohtsam posted:

I was considering making an LP of one of these games just a few days ago. You've done a way better job than I probably would have on my first go; nicely done.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Link removed updated version below

Here's the video with autoducking added in.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 30, 2013

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Could you boost the commentary a bit? You seem to be really, really soft audio-wise in this autoducked video

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I wish I could check the video but YouTube, for the last month, has been the most infuriating and temperamental experience ever. Videos just flat out don't load and when they do YT forces them on to their new ultra-lovely 144p option and no amount of selecting higher resolutions will actually trigger it to do so. If I'm lucky, videos will play for maybe a minute and then give me an error, or the video will.. glitch.. and however far I was in to the video becomes the total length. It's horrible. I haven't been able to reliably use the website at all in weeks.

It's only YouTube, too. Every other website and video streaming service works perfectly.

Anyone else having this issue?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Try this Sundowner

Edit: also another audio mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkxlSrYasiE&feature=youtu.be
Thanks for all the help I have a terrible ear for this sort of thing.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 30, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Ohtsam posted:

Try this Sundowner

Edit: also another audio mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkxlSrYasiE&feature=youtu.be
Thanks for all the help I have a terrible ear for this sort of thing.

That seems to have fixed the issue. I'll leave it going for a while, I read the comments on that page and some people seem to think it works more than half the time.

Otherwise, the audio now sounds pretty good. I can hear you clearly over the louder gameplay sound elements.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - But We Can Play, Too!

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is another Telltale adventure game released for the PC (and WiiWare!) in 2008. Like most of Telltale's games, it's episodic with 5 individual episodes.

SBCG4AP is based off of the popular internet Flash cartoon series called Homestar Runner. Specifically, it stars Strong Bad, the real star of the website and of its main feature, the Strong Bad Emails, which started in 2001 and ran for 205 short episodes before going on hiatus in October 2009. The website itself hasn't had an actual toon released since 2010 either, as both members of The Brothers Chaps (Matt and Mike Chapman) have been focusing on their careers.

As stated, SBCG4AP is an adventure game of the point-and-click variety. It features tons of humorous dialog, more than any Homestar cartoon. This LP will run through all 5 episodes (and maybe even some bonus stuff involving games from the website?), and will be done in a subtitle format. This game speaks for itself, and it speaks for itself often; it doesn't need me or anybody else trying to be funny talking over it. It can be funny (or unfunny) all by itself. Unfortunately, I will be being unfunny through subtitles, but I will try to keep it to a minimum, which means no "talking" through dialogue.

First up is Homestar Ruiner! Strong Bad decides to finally beat the snot out of Homestar Runner once and for all, but then he gets a different idea on how to ruin Homestar's life. Unfortunately for Strong Bad, the best laid plans of mice and Mexican wrestler look-alikes often go awry...

Volume in drive C: has no label
Directory of C:\sbcg4ap_lp\updated somedays

0. tutorial

Do the subtitles look alright? Is the video okay? I might need to will almost definitely need to upscale it a bit, but I figure I'd run everything through here.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I'm tweaking them right now. The problem is avoiding overlapping dialogue...which might require me to re-record the video.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 31, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
The subtitles seem to go by too fast for me to read them comfortably. The advice I was given when I did Papo & Yo was to leave the text up for long enough to read it twice at a decent pace. I'm usually about 3/4 through the sentence before it disappears.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Also try not to have more than two lines of text in one subtitle. If there's more it's a sign that you should either condense or split it across two or more subtitles.

Also if you can maybe make the subtitles more visible from the background - it takes a bit for human vision to A) realize that there is a subtitle to pay attention to, B) focus on that part of the screen and C) read it. If you show subtitles only every now and then, the A and B parts take longer because the viewer was just focused on other parts of the screen, especially so if the subtitles don't have a contrasting background. Eg. a darkened box, or much thicker black borders on the letters.

Color Printer posted:

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I'm tweaking them right now. The problem is avoiding overlapping dialogue...which might require me to re-record the video.

You shouldn't worry too much about this - although it varies, some people have more trouble reading and listening at the same time. But a little overlap is the lesser evil.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 30, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Seeing as I've basically finished both LPs I was working on here, I'm thinking ahead to what I might want to do to keep the ball rolling. I've been entertaining the idea of an SSLP but every time I get steered away from the idea because the games I'd most likely want to SSLP are linear games and sometimes shooters which I don't know if they really fit the format. I've seen some linear games done in SSLP form and they seem fine, but I'm not sure.

This is bordering on an LP request though I'm not necessarily looking for something to watch exclusively, but just for examples of linear games that worked well in SSLP, so I can get an idea of what might work from the selection of games I've been considering.

I'd just post a test but with the games I'm considering I'd probably want to go and play them again and take notes for how I want to handle it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Sundowner posted:

Seeing as I've basically finished both LPs I was working on here, I'm thinking ahead to what I might want to do to keep the ball rolling. I've been entertaining the idea of an SSLP but every time I get steered away from the idea because the games I'd most likely want to SSLP are linear games and sometimes shooters which I don't know if they really fit the format. I've seen some linear games done in SSLP form and they seem fine, but I'm not sure.

This is bordering on an LP request though I'm not necessarily looking for something to watch exclusively, but just for examples of linear games that worked well in SSLP, so I can get an idea of what might work from the selection of games I've been considering.

I'd just post a test but with the games I'm considering I'd probably want to go and play them again and take notes for how I want to handle it.
The point I've gotten for doing a SSLP is because it wouldn't work well in video. This could be due to lots of text to read onscreen, lots of repetitive battles, or just anything where if you showed it in video then it'd be tedious/dull/bad. That's usually why people don't do VLP's of RPG's and why action heavy games, games with amazing sound work, or games where you'd basically lose the spirit of the game by static images are done in VLP's. Like Metal Gear Rising is a super linear game but there would be so much lost by a SSLP.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Niggurath posted:

The point I've gotten for doing a SSLP is because it wouldn't work well in video. This could be due to lots of text to read onscreen, lots of repetitive battles, or just anything where if you showed it in video then it'd be tedious/dull/bad. That's usually why people don't do VLP's of RPG's and why action heavy games, games with amazing sound work, or games where you'd basically lose the spirit of the game by static images are done in VLP's. Like Metal Gear Rising is a super linear game but there would be so much lost by a SSLP.

Exactly - it really doesn't have anything to do with how linear a game is. Also don't forget that you can mix the two in one game, if appropriate.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I see what you guys are saying. This is exactly what turns me off of it. It just so happens that linear games are often times the ones that suit it less. I can't think if a linear game I've personally played that felt bogged down by text and too much repetitive stuff, thus my hesitance to bother with it. Eh, maybe it will click one day and I'll SSLP a game that really works well with it. I don't want to force it otherwise, I do want to do it at least once just to say I have.. as I've done a regular old VLP and a subtitled VLP, too. It'd be nice to hit all the formats as a bit of a learning experience, if nothing else.

As for mixing both formats.. I've actually had that in mind for one game in particular but it'd be such a big project (relatively speaking, for me) that I'm not ready to even start thinking deeply about that yet. I'd rather do a few other LPs in whatever format before taking on anything momentous.

Thanks for the advice.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Color Printer posted:

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - But We Can Play, Too!

Alright, how does this look?

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013
Sorry to just barge in with this, but I am welcoming any and all critique for my test post, as I'm new and want to make sure it's done right first time (and avoid provoking a banhammer, of course, for making a poo poo post). First time LPer here on the forums, and I am going to start off with...this!

---------------------------------------

We'll be having no Lads here! Let's Play Arc: Twilight of the Spirits!

What is Arc (the Lad): Twilight of the Spirits?

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (released in the EU as the less long-winded Arc: Twilight of the Spirits, which is the version I'm playing), was a PlayStation 2 title released in June 2003 (and 6 months later for the EU) as a tactical RPG that's set in a world where two cultures - Deimos and Humans - live separated lives wherever possible, and are volatile in most circumstances where they are forced to collide in their hunt for the depleting resources of Spirit Stones, which allow the Humans to sustain their way of life and are the source of the magic powers of the Deimos, without which they would lose a lot of their martial strength.

Among the most powerful of stones are the Great Spirit Stones - of which there are five: Water, Fire, Earth, Wind and Light. It is rumoured that those who can gather all five would have unimaginable power at their hands. Of course, this is where the cliché kicks in and a Human army decides it wants those for themselves to dominate and enslave all others - Deimos or Humans. Luckily, the stones themselves are sentient, and choose as their heroes Kharg, a nobleman who isn't a pushover and is eager to prove himself, and Darc, who's fallen on hard times and is nothing more than a slave to some fat nuisance that needs to croak.

Sucks to be the planet right about now.

So how is this going down?

This is going to primarily be a screenshot LP, however I would be committing crimes against Let's Play if I were to completely block out the existence of the voice acting and animation sequences in the game, and so there will be some parts that I will post video links to in order to show these off the best I can (because my capture equipment generally sucks). I am also looking to go through this 100%, so I will likely be using a walkthrough for this. Since I will be playing through this mostly blind, however (and I've not played this game in some years now), :siren:THERE IS A NO SPOILERS RULE IN FULL EFFECT. DO NOT REVEAL CONTENT UNLESS I DO SO FIRST.:siren: If I miss something, PM me first to check it's not in an upcoming update.

Wait, why wasn't there a sequel to this?

There was! It was published in 2005 in the US as Arc the Lad: End of Darkness. It, however, was met with very damning criticism and hasn't been seen anywhere in the EU (and it's online service for multiplayer was shut down a year after release). Thankfully for all of us, this game is BY FAR a superior creation, and a title that - since it wasn't ruined in the EU - I would really like to see a reinvisioning of some kind in the future.

Hold on, tactical RPG? So lots of boosting, then?

Possibly, but I will be trying to off-screen a lot of any boosting I do - and I won't do any serious boosting unless I'm hitting a point I can't get past. I may use a video at some point to explain the combat system in more detail (since it's turn-based, I can take time on stuff like that), with other supplementary material as we go along (such as the trailer clip that plays if you idle on the main menu too long in the image at the top - what, you didn't notice?).

So what's the formatting for this?

This is a character talking in dialogue. This one is an example one, and is used for random or unknown NPC's mostly.

T: This is me talking about something. Either something I'm thinking or just random blarb...

:eng101: ...and this will follow on from it if I'm being intelligent about it, like game mechanics and stuff.

:siren:LATEST: Ep. 1 - Ch. 1 :siren:

Episode 1
Chapter 1: Learn Your Lore!
----------
Edit: Cleaning up opening post following critique.

TiamosLoren fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 31, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is LPix bugging out for anyone else? I can't see most images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TiamosLoren posted:

We'll be having no Lads here! Let's Play Arc: Twilight of the Spirits!

You're using a few too many emoticons here, I think you might even have hit the limit. Some of them are also a slight obnoxious, and I dont think anyone would miss them if they disappeared.

Also your images look a bit blurry/fuzzy. Don't know if that's due to your capturing methods or the resizing process.

• Locked thread