Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I agree with your points, but every pound counts when you have a bag full of other poo poo plus a Pro
I''m honestly trying to think of a scenario besides maybe an airline charging you by weight where the extra pound plays that significant of a role. At work we sometimes have to lug around Toughbooks though with various equipment so compared to those I'd never complain about even a 15" MBP (though it's always subjective to each person).

japtor posted:

Weights for reference (for 13" models), cause saying "less than an additional pound" doesn't mean much without context*:

MBA - 2.96
MBPR - 3.57
MBP - 4.5

...so the MBP is actually over a pound and a half heavier than the MBA, or 52% more weight. It's (barely) less than a pound heavier than the MBPR though!

*The big iPad is less than a pound heavier than the iPad mini but that's still over double the weight.

Yeah, I should have stated that I was comparing the MBP to the MBPR. It's not to say that it isn't a noticeable weight difference (it is), I was more just trying to point out the silliness of saying that the extra 1 - 1.5 lbs seriously reduces the 13" MBP's capability as a portable system.

Edit - It sometimes just feels as if people get so hung up on the idea of "thinnest possible" and "lowest weight" that they forget that there are still good reasons for the standard MBPs to be around.

Edit 2 - I guess I should just add that for those who are looking for as light or small/thin as possible, the standard MBPs are almost certainly at the point of not being considered. It's just strange to see questions asking why they're even still being sold.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I personally don't find the 15" MBP too big or heavy for carrying around. I'm pretty happy I went 15" with the high-res screen option (this was before the retinas) because I have a feeling the lack of screen real estate on a 13" or even 15" w/o the high-res would drive me nuts when doing things other than web browsing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
You guys make me feel retarded with my gaming laptop that has a ~18" screen and weighs over 11 pounds.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I'm going to cite the "comfort threshold" of "do I uproot my laptop from my desk and lug it to this meeting?" and how I feel that should stop having to be a question. With a MBP, I ask that question. With an MBA and MBPR, I do not. Because grabbing either one of those feels like grabbing the notepad and pencil that I would be deciding between if I had a MBP.

You can look at the numbers and talk theory all day but ultimately it comes to your psychology and your workflow, and for me, there is JUST enough more hassle to deal with the MBP to make it a dealbreaker. I still feel jealous whenever I pick up an MBA, because it is featherlight to the point where I would walk around with it even MORE. As it stands, I love my MBPR and love that it's more of a hassle to set it down and leave it than to pick it up.

That said, that's my style and it suits my needs. A lot of people would argue that that's a "tablet's job" but for me, gently caress a tablet. I need to type a lot and just generally have a fully working computer wherever I go.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

yellowjournalism posted:

You can look at the numbers and talk theory all day but ultimately it comes to your psychology and your workflow, and for me, there is JUST enough more hassle to deal with the MBP to make it a dealbreaker. I still feel jealous whenever I pick up an MBA, because it is featherlight to the point where I would walk around with it even MORE.

Yes this. When I had a 13in Air I would carry it everywhere around work. I even learned to type on it while standing. The 13in Air is incredibly easy to use and hold because of the weight and distribution. Most of the weight is near the hinge and since you tend to hold it near the hinge it feels like less than half the weight of the MBPR due to the shortened lever arm.

I just can't convey how light a MBA really feels in day to day use carrying it around until you have done it. It's like replacing a notebook computer with an iPad.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It all depends on what you're using it for and what you value. If you want ultra-portable light and thin, then the Air is the obvious choice. Personally, I use my MBP for DJing, music production, photo editing and programming and don't always have access to an external monitor. The apps I use for those activities can get frustratingly cramped on smaller screens, so I chose to sacrifice some portability for screen size and resolution. However, even though it's less portable than an Air, I still find it pretty drat portable. I don't mind bringing it to meetings or coffee shops for instance. To me it just seems like all this talk about the lack of portability of a regular MBP is a bit exaggerated.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to have an Air. But I'd need something larger (like a MBP) as well, for when I want to maximize my productivity at times when I don't have access to an external monitor (e.g. when staying at hotels while travelling). With the MBP I can get by comfortably with only 1 laptop.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I''m honestly trying to think of a scenario besides maybe an airline charging you by weight where the extra pound plays that significant of a role.

The multiple friends I had in Uni that exchanged their Pros for Airs during the 2 week return period due to heavy rear end backpacks

Purely anecdotal, but when you have the choice to cut the weight in half....

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I live on a university campus as well, so carrying a laptop in your backpack is what everyone does. Your shoulders can support a lot of weight, so a backpack is great for laptops. Plus I always seem to get classes where the textbooks are never needed. :getin:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boatswain posted:

I guess if you don't care about mobility it'll do, but I hated lugging my old 13" MBP around.

Do you even lift bro?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I used to think like this too where a laptop was awesome no matter what and at whatever weight I'll just carry it. I went from a 13" MBP to a 15" MBPr and while the same weight, it is much more balanced and "feels" lighter because of the larger surface area. It felt like the 13" MBP was a brick and the MBPr is feathery.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Do you even lift bro?

I could kick your rear end, bro.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Boatswain posted:

I could kick your rear end, bro.

:stonk:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Here's a dumb question I should probably know the answer to:

I use my 13" Macbook Air to RDP into various work computers and my home desktop, which are 1920x1080/2560x1440. This is annoying because for various reasons I need to RDP in at those resolutions, which makes the window too big for my MBA's screen and I have to scroll around awkwardly. If I bought a fancy new retina MBP/MBA computer in a month, since the resolution of those screens is at least 2560x1600 - I could presumably now see the whole desktop of the machines I RDP into, since the 1920x1080 RDP window fits inside the Retina screen, correct?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mik posted:

Here's a dumb question I should probably know the answer to:

I use my 13" Macbook Air to RDP into various work computers and my home desktop, which are 1920x1080/2560x1440. This is annoying because for various reasons I need to RDP in at those resolutions, which makes the window too big for my MBA's screen and I have to scroll around awkwardly. If I bought a fancy new retina MBP/MBA computer in a month, since the resolution of those screens is at least 2560x1600 - I could presumably now see the whole desktop of the machines I RDP into, since the 1920x1080 RDP window fits inside the Retina screen, correct?

Yep.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The multiple friends I had in Uni that exchanged their Pros for Airs during the 2 week return period due to heavy rear end backpacks

Purely anecdotal, but when you have the choice to cut the weight in half....
I guess I was just that rare crazy graduate student who liked the idea of being able to throw 16 GB of RAM and a larger capacity hard drive as needed into a MBP. The Air would be nice if it weren't constrained at 8 GB of RAM.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Mac Hardware Megathread - 1.5 pounds, the great debate. Or, how I stopped worrying and learnt to justify my choices to the internet.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

SourKraut posted:

I guess I was just that rare crazy graduate student who liked the idea of being able to throw 16 GB of RAM and a larger capacity hard drive as needed into a MBP. The Air would be nice if it weren't constrained at 8 GB of RAM.

What are you doing where 8GB and a SSD feels like a bottleneck? Still, if you need to do workstation-class crunching, the Air seems like an odd choice in the first place. The point of having multiple models is that there are different options depending on your needs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Civil posted:

What are you doing where 8GB and a SSD feels like a bottleneck? Still, if you need to do workstation-class crunching, the Air seems like an odd choice in the first place. The point of having multiple models is that there are different options depending on your needs.

The SSD itself wasn't the bottleneck speed-wise, it's more that between a Windows 7 bootcamp partition with the programs I use (Microstation, AutoCAD, Navisworks, Solidworks plus various modeling applications) and the personal software I use, the original 128 GB Samsung 830 I had wasn't at all adequate over time. I've moved up to a 240 GB Chronos Deluxe but even that is coming close to hitting the 10% reserve space I've tried to maintain, so now I'm looking to go up to a 480+ GB drive. That type of flexibility is more along the lines of what I meant.

RAM-wise, well, having multiple AutoCAD windows open along with other required apps tends to translate to 16 GBs being useful. The Air would actually be fine if it weren't for the 8 GB limitation, but yes, the different options are to provide options for various needs. I've actually thought about picking up a 15" MBPR once the Haswell models are released. It's just strange to see people somehow throwing it into the same class as desktop replacement notebooks in terms of "mobility".

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 1, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I wouldn't buy a Mac. It's not suiting you, and you're forcing yourself into some bizarro upgrade path and trying to justify hundreds of dollars of upgrades.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didn't realize you could ever use AutoCAD to the point where you would need that much ram.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

How's the viewport performance?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Recently worked with a bunch of the last generation MacPro 2012s; still pretty ridiculous that they don't have built-in USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.

They have changed the logic board slightly so that plugging in PCI-e graphics cards to PCI-e logic board power ports no longer requires contorting your fingers to inhuman proportions.

You can order them with 512 GB SSD's, they're Toshibas placed inside a block of aluminum. Don't know why, seems pointless when they don't generate a lot of heat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

RAM-wise, well, having multiple AutoCAD windows open along with other required apps tends to translate to 16 GBs being useful. The Air would actually be fine if it weren't for the 8 GB limitation, but yes, the different options are to provide options for various needs. I've actually thought about picking up a 15" MBPR once the Haswell models are released. It's just strange to see people somehow throwing it into the same class as desktop replacement notebooks in terms of "mobility".

Would using the Mac version of AutoCAD be maybe less resource-taxing?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Would using the Mac version of AutoCAD be maybe less resource-taxing?

Maybe, but SolidWorks and Microstation are both Windows only.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Recently worked with a bunch of the last generation MacPro 2012s; still pretty ridiculous that they don't have built-in USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.
Are there even any Westmere/Nehalem Xeon motherboards that even have that built in? It would seem hacky for Apple to do those on an expansion card.

Binary Badger posted:

You can order them with 512 GB SSD's, they're Toshibas placed inside a block of aluminum. Don't know why, seems pointless when they don't generate a lot of heat.
That's just so they can use the 3.5" drivebays. Are there 2.5", 2TB 9.5mm drives yet? You can get those aftermarket adapters to put a pair of 2.5" drives in a 3.5" spot.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Are there even any Westmere/Nehalem Xeon motherboards that even have that built in? It would seem hacky for Apple to do those on an expansion card.

That's just so they can use the 3.5" drivebays. Are there 2.5", 2TB 9.5mm drives yet? You can get those aftermarket adapters to put a pair of 2.5" drives in a 3.5" spot.
They could do it by adding whatever third party USB 3 controller on board like most manufacturers did for a while (...course they were buggy iirc).

As for SSDs I think someone came out with a ~1TB model recently. Otherwise there's that 3.5" big rear end one OCZ came out with a while back, but I don't know if they still make that or if there's anything else like it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

I wouldn't buy a Mac. It's not suiting you, and you're forcing yourself into some bizarro upgrade path and trying to justify hundreds of dollars of upgrades.

Why? MBPs (and even Airs in not-so-intense scenarios) are fine for those application usages when Windows is installed. It's actually the best of both worlds - I dislike Windows now for the most part, but still must use it for some of those applications. I prefer OS X and, for the other 50-60% of the time where I'm not using those apps, I get to use OS X. Plus it's not really that "bizzaro" - back during high school and early college I was all about annually building a new desktop system, so by comparison upgrading my MBP is a joke (and yet supported by warranty!). The 16 GB of RAM cost ~ $ 70, and I picked up the 240 GB Chronos Delux for $160 off Amazon. $230 isn't bad relative to buying a whole new system from Apple when it isn't otherwise needed.

I said come in! posted:

I didn't realize you could ever use AutoCAD to the point where you would need that much ram.

Oh it's definitely possible when having several large drawings open that are heavily detailed (water treatment plant designs mostly). I'm just a low-level design engineer at the firm I work at, so my MBP is more capable than my work system I have there (and it did much of the same during grad school too). The actual CAD techs and engineering managers who do a lot of CAD work all get spec'd out Dell systems that handle it far better though.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

How's the viewport performance?
It can be a little laggy when more than 3-4 drawings are up (probably closer to three). I generally try to solely work within model space when multiple drawings are open, and then if I need to check on how the viewport(s) appear and what changes are needed, I switch to only having that drawing open. I could probably get away with more though - switching to having the one drawing open is just a hold over from school when I was working on a less-capable system than even my MBP and Civil 3D would start to lag to the point of the application closing with several drawings still open.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Maybe, but SolidWorks and Microstation are both Windows only.

This. Plus AutoCAD for Mac doesn't have Civil 3D functionality, which is typically required for some of what I do. I keep hoping that AutoDesk will expand on their Mac offerings, but as of a year ago (?) I think AutoDesk said that Mac users should just run it in Windows in some way, so who knows...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 1, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am going to be taking a MacBook Pro with me everywhere I go, and I was wondering if its recommended to get one of those laptop key locks so you can secure your laptop to a table or something like that? Are they actually useful?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I am going to be taking a MacBook Pro with me everywhere I go, and I was wondering if its recommended to get one of those laptop key locks so you can secure your laptop to a table or something like that? Are they actually useful?

I actually find those more useful when you're keeping a laptop in one place for a long time. If you're traveling you're more likely to be aware of where your laptop is, whereas if you're in a hotel for two weeks you're more likely to forget to lock it up when housekeeping comes to make your bed or whatever.

It's easy enough to break those or just rip them out of the computer (despite the damage that causes); it's just a deterrent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

I actually find those more useful when you're keeping a laptop in one place for a long time. If you're traveling you're more likely to be aware of where your laptop is, whereas if you're in a hotel for two weeks you're more likely to forget to lock it up when housekeeping comes to make your bed or whatever.

It's easy enough to break those or just rip them out of the computer (despite the damage that causes); it's just a deterrent.

Echoing this- but to be honest, if you're worried about housekeeping or whoever getting into your stuff while you're out of your hotel room, you're better off just putting everything into your suitcase and locking that when you head out. Get a non-TSA lock for that, as I've heard that people can get copies of the master key or pick them if they really want to. It's also way less of a hassle, because chances are that you'll want to move your notebook around with you a bit while you're using it, and Kensington locks are kind of a bitch to deal with on a frequent basis.

But to address the initial question: I took my Air with me on a month-long business trip to Hong Kong and all over eastern China last fall and I never had any theft worries. When you're actively using your notebook and carrying it around with you, you are going to be a much more important barrier to theft than any K-lock. Just treat your notebook/notebook bag as you would any other important personal article that you wouldn't want stolen, like your wallet/purse/camera/smartphone. You know, don't pull it out in the middle of a crowded city sidewalk or shady looking alleyway and all that.

So...no, I personally don't think those locks are all that useful. At least not if you aren't planning to leave your MBP chained to a desk for a few days and certainly not on its own (as in, you're not locking it in a drawer/room/building too). A K-lock is going to be about half as difficult to break as a bottom-tier bike lock, and if you've ever lived in a city then you know how secure those are.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The locks provide a very annoying second layer that shouldn't be considered pointless at all. Need to run to the bathroom but at the library? Lock it and go. I do this all the time. Not everyone carries around bike lock snips.

It might not be 100% foolproof, but there is a point.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Regarding WWDC and updates to Macs, how are pre-orders and such handled or do they even do this? Is there a limit of pre-orders, if so? How long would it take for a Haswell mbpR(13") to actually start shipping, any ideas?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
They either announce stuff shipping and on sale immediately, or they give an availability date. With the latter they'll announce when you can order them, either immediately or on whatever preorder open date.

I'm not sure if you mean preorder limits per customer (not sure there is) but if you mean the total number, there's usually no limit. If they get backlogged you'll just get a later ship date.

As far as a Haswell MBPR 13", well as usual, :iiam:. I'd only expect sooner rather than later, but who knows. I saw on Anandtech that the mobile quad core part list was released but no clue about dual core. There's a 37W quad part but I think the current 13" uses 28W parts, so I suspect them to stay with the dual core there, particularly cause that 37W part doesn't have the new "Iris" graphics iirc.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Not everyone carries around bike lock snips.

And if they do have tools, they'll draw attention to themselves if there are other people around. It's the same theory as early car alarms; it doesn't stop someone from stealing a car/laptop/whatever, it just means yours moves down the list.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

And if they do have tools, they'll draw attention to themselves if there are other people around. It's the same theory as early car alarms; it doesn't stop someone from stealing a car/laptop/whatever, it just means yours moves down the list.

Exactly. What's with Goons locking onto something and thinking any other method just doesn't work??

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Something to remember with the locks is that the retina MBPs (and I think the air but I'm not 100% sure) don't have the Kensington security locks. The unibody MBPs definitely do though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mercurius posted:

Something to remember with the locks is that the retina MBPs (and I think the air but I'm not 100% sure) don't have the Kensington security locks. The unibody MBPs definitely do though.

They do make a lockable 'dock' for the Air, and then there's this thing:

http://marianneschultz.com/2009/03/27/macbook/

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
That looks like the perfect opportunity for some funny person to come and close the screen...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sonic Dude posted:

I've had to break into my own bicycle a few months ago in a busy area with lots of people walking by, and not a single sole cared or paid any attention to me at all. I was there for about half an hour with some gigantic clippers and a hacksaw too so it wasn't like a quick thing.

If I'm at a library and I see some guy with hedge clippers at a MBP I probably wouldn't give a poo poo either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've had to break into my own bicycle a few months ago in a busy area with lots of people walking by, and not a single sole cared or paid any attention to me at all. I was there for about half an hour with some gigantic clippers and a hacksaw too so it wasn't like a quick thing.

If I'm at a library and I see some guy with hedge clippers at a MBP I probably wouldn't give a poo poo either.

This is how my college campus is. I think that if someone were being murdered in front of a large crowd, no one would do a single thing. We have a very mind your own business attitude here. I don't know if that is scary or not to be honest. :stare: