Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005
Has anyone figured out what the Lucky Rabbit Head does in Warhammer Quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

freeb0rn posted:

The Grey Wizard will pick up steam once he gets some items and a level up and starts melting everything with Shadow Bolt.

See I was hoping this was the case but my guy's lvl 2 and his shadow bolt does absolutely gently caress all damage - it hits for like 3 while my barb and dwarf are hitting for 8-12. I was tempted to buy the Archmage for a change, but I'm pretty dependent on the Grey Wizard's heal at this point.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

bubbapook posted:

See I was hoping this was the case but my guy's lvl 2 and his shadow bolt does absolutely gently caress all damage - it hits for like 3 while my barb and dwarf are hitting for 8-12. I was tempted to buy the Archmage for a change, but I'm pretty dependent on the Grey Wizard's heal at this point.

Shadowbolt is for hitting big packs of enemies with lots of weak enemies within (critters, usually, or the weak ork archers); he can one-shot such packs or 2-shot them (later when you have enough winds stored up you can cast beyond what you're given that round). For single-target he gets probably the highest dps spell from the base 4 heroes at level 4: Occam's Razors, it does damage in the form of 3 waves of 7-9 dmg or something ridiculous like that. There's also a ring you get from a quest that lets you do a 15-30 damage nuke once per dungeon that I've put on him.

freeb0rn fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 31, 2013

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I think a lot of the complaints boil down to pretty much what people have noted above, that Warhammer Quest is, in reality, a board game. It hides the mechanics from you and is a pretty video game so it's being confused for something it's not, like an extensive dungeon crawler or a real SRPG or something. I get the impression that you're supposed to play a handful of semi-short games, since everything's randomly generated.

BrainDance posted:

Yeah I play games in bed when I'm super hungover. Even rotating once for a game that's portrait only is usually too much for me.

It's a stupid small detail but it's kinda a pass for me until that's fixed.

retro sexual posted:

But also, and most importantly, they need to add a loving Inventory button. Strategy games in bed are just exactly right for the iPad, and having to pick it up to rotate it for the inventory is loving inane

What in the world does this mean? I could understand if you're sitting at a desk with it propped up being an issue, but in bed turning it is somehow a burden? I think it would be a good idea to add a button too, but man, I just do not get these complaints. Is it like, plugged in and stretched to it's limit or do you only have one hand free or something?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Kotor is awesome, I couldn't be happier that some of the best RPGs ever are making their way to iPad (BG 2 is also incoming)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

superh posted:

What in the world does this mean? I could understand if you're sitting at a desk with it propped up being an issue, but in bed turning it is somehow a burden? I think it would be a good idea to add a button too, but man, I just do not get these complaints. Is it like, plugged in and stretched to it's limit or do you only have one hand free or something?

Easy example: put the iPad on a flat surface and watch the orientation sensor be annoying. Even if you prop it up, you still have to turn the entire unit for a menu, and it's not a motion-based game. Horrible analogy: imagine playing a board game and having to rotate the board to check on stuff then rotate it back to play.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

superh posted:

Laying on back with the iPad resting on my chest, holding it up with left hand and tapping with the right hand. To rotate I either have to pick it up with the left hand and end up with that holding it at the top, or pick it up with my right hand and switch tappy hands.

It's a pretty 1st world problem, but then we're talking about dumb usability issues they've unnecessarily created in a video game on a luxury electronic item. Glad to be able to help unblow your mind that people find this pretty annoying.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

duckfarts posted:

Easy example: put the iPad on a flat surface and watch the orientation sensor be annoying. Even if you prop it up, you still have to turn the entire unit for a menu, and it's not a motion-based game. Horrible analogy: imagine playing a board game and having to rotate the board to check on stuff then rotate it back to play.

So playing in bed means like, on your side, ipad flat on the bed? I guess that makes sense. If you're propping yourself up with one arm and one fingering it or something. Does "motion based game" mean something like multitouch where you have to sit up to use both hands? Wouldn't it be understood by the time you have heard about rotate for inventory that you'll have to do that with Warhammer Quest too?

It's not like rotating it will make the pieces fall off the board game or something, haha.

FreakyZoid posted:

Laying on back with the iPad resting on my chest, holding it up with left hand and tapping with the right hand. To rotate I either have to pick it up with the left hand and end up with that holding it at the top, or pick it up with my right hand and switch tappy hands.

It's a pretty 1st world problem, but then we're talking about dumb usability issues they've unnecessarily created in a video game on a luxury electronic item. Glad to be able to help unblow your mind that people find this pretty annoying.

No it still blows my mind that people are finding that switching the hands they're holding the device with to turn it is somehow annoying.

superh fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 31, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
It is kinda weird. We're finally getting all these crazy cool games never really done on a tablet, and now people are against solely rotating the device on occasion.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It is kinda weird. We're finally getting all these crazy cool games never really done on a tablet, and now people are against solely rotating the device on occasion.

One has nothing to do with the other.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Like I said, hungover so everything is a pain in the rear end. Like we're talking real hungover, bucket to the side hungover.

And since I was drinking that means the iPad was probably sitting there all night unplugged so I got it plugged in. Pain in the rear end to deal with that because the drat cables not long enough. And I think the sensor is too touchy so I usually have it locked. Gotta unlock that I imagine.

All that to do one stupid thing. And since there's such a better way to do it every time I'm gonna think "there should just be a button" and be annoyed.

It's not the end of the world but screw it I'm just gonna play some dead ahead instead.

Life's hard man.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

It's an arbitrary design decision that slows things down for no real reason other than them probably just preferring the character sheets being portrait. It was awkward as hell when I was playing it in bed and charging because having it rest on me in portrait with the cable in there is a no go.
I kinda get what they're going for with it but it's just an affectation and there's no reason not to make it an alternate option to just using a button.

Also, are there really only those small cluster of towns? I thought that was just going to be the starting region you eventually leave.
The article I saw about it briefly mentioned undead and chaos enemies... Are they in fact not a thing? This blows.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I know I'm late to the party, but I just finished 10000000.

I'm amazed how finely they balanced the game progression. Every single time when I thought I can't continue, a new achievement pops up and I think to myself "Oh I think I can do that one".

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah the progression in 10,000,000 is handled really well.

Also holy poo poo Dead Ahead is actually a good endless runner.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can't play games like Temple Run or those games where you jump up to the next object by tilting because most of my gaming is done in bed too when I'm laying on my side.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Wanting cool tablet games includes wanting developers to understand how to design for tablets. Rotating the thing you're holding as a basic UI mechanism sucks in cases where anything else will work. It's not that complicated and all anyone is saying is that the UI would be improved quite a bit if they had at least provided the option to keep the device in landscape when dealing with the inventory. It's like the equivalent of designing a PC game that requires you to use keys on opposite ends of the keyboard while also using the mouse. It may not ruin the game, but it's a really bad design decision and that kind of stuff is going to stand out in an otherwise well designed game.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Rotating is fine on a phone device, but not on a tablet. Particularly not for a touch based strategy game. I lay the ipad down on the bed and play with one arm (on my side)

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

busfahrer posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I just finished 10000000.

I'm amazed how finely they balanced the game progression. Every single time when I thought I can't continue, a new achievement pops up and I think to myself "Oh I think I can do that one".

Yeah, it's definitely one of the cooler games to come out on iOS in a while. The only downside is once you beat it, there's a lot less drive to actually keep playing (since you're not really progressing anymore.)

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

robodex posted:

Yeah, it's definitely one of the cooler games to come out on iOS in a while. The only downside is once you beat it, there's a lot less drive to actually keep playing (since you're not really progressing anymore.)

Yeah I had hoped for something more to be added in, but I can't complain. I beat it and it cost like 2 bucks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What are Dead Ahead's IAP guns like?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
What's the go-to recommendation for what I can only describe as 'stunt racing' games? I'm thinking along the lines of Trackmania on PC, or like Bike Baron, but something in 3D so there's steering (ideally not with tilt controls).

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Royal Scrub posted:

What's the go-to recommendation for what I can only describe as 'stunt racing' games? I'm thinking along the lines of Trackmania on PC, or like Bike Baron, but something in 3D so there's steering (ideally not with tilt controls).

The only thing I know of that might be close is "Hill Climb Racing". It's a mix between a distance driver + stunt vehicles.

Hill Climb Racing

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

superh posted:

Does "motion based game" mean something like multitouch where you have to sit up to use both hands?
By "motion based game" I meant games where moving the device around is the primary way of playing the game, like with driving or flight games or Tilt To Live, etc. It seems like a pain in the rear end to put it in a board game, especially when it might be defeated by disabling rotation, which is commonly done.(I don't know for sure if this affects WQ specifically)

Raveyyy posted:

Yeah I had hoped for something more to be added in, but I can't complain. I beat it and it cost like 2 bucks.
2 bucks is still pricey for iOS stuff, but that game was just really well put together and satisfying.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

superh posted:

No it still blows my mind that people are finding that switching the hands they're holding the device with to turn it is somehow annoying.

Wow holy poo poo, sometimes people would rather do a thing one way than another way. Maybe I'm just overtired, but your "You personally dislike this feature ARE YOU CRAAAAAZYYYYY?!?!?!" crap is really smug/annoying and I don't even care about this game. Learn that opinions exist maybe.

So I looked at some Phoenix Wright HD screencaps and I dunno, is it just me or do they look kinda janky? The pixel art quality was great on DS resolution, but it's like they went, "Okay we gotta redraw every single one of these these frames for some port to some other handheld thing, just trace over the outlines with the line tool, we got a lot of poo poo to get through." Fits with what people are saying with the black bars at the edge and poo poo making it seem like a lazy port.

e. Not even nitpicking, I was pretty stoked for PW in HD but the screens left me disappointed. :smith: I'll just replay it on my DS I guess.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 31, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Virigoth posted:

The only thing I know of that might be close is "Hill Climb Racing". It's a mix between a distance driver + stunt vehicles.

Hill Climb Racing

Well, I was hoping for something in 3D. If you haven't played TrackMania, it's like a Hotwheels set's wet dream. To say there are loops and jumps is selling it short, and it had a crazy-possibilities track editor to go with it.

Jet Car Stunts is pretty much what I'm looking for, but it has tilt controls. :(

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 31, 2013

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

What are Dead Ahead's IAP guns like?
I bought the explosive one because I'm weak-willed, it's like the grenade launcher but has a clip size of 6.

With double ammo and fast reload I got something like a 350 combo from it. :getin:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'm loving Dead Ahead so far, but the most frustrating thing is missing those ramps by like a couple pixels, especially when the movement controls feel only just serviceable. I think of ramps were just a little more lenient it's feel perfect.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

I bought the explosive one because I'm weak-willed, it's like the grenade launcher but has a clip size of 6.

With double ammo and fast reload I got something like a 350 combo from it. :getin:

That grenade launcher rules. The double ammo and fast reload really boost it into being ridiculous. I find it tricky to break 100 normally, but with the those two I managed 498. And then crashed into a car. I bet you can get even higher combos on the later levels, if they keep ramping up the zombie amounts.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

bubbapook posted:

Having the Wizard's heal saves a fortune on healing items, he also gets XP for heals so he will advance like mad even if you don't actually nuke anything. The Archmage has more killing power at range (though he is weak compared to the Wayfinder) and with a couple levels, definitely has an easier time having the power to fire his attack spell multiple times a turn, but without that heal, I find his attack potential does not outweigh the benefit of free healing. Another thing, his that is access to attack or defense spells is random each turn, so besides having to roll enough power to cast the spell, you also have to hope to roll the right spell list.

I have found the wizard to be a lot more powerful when you stop avoiding melee like the plague. He really can hold his own as long as you don't charge head first into the tougher foes. The shadow dagger spell can be used 2 or 3 times a turn if you roll well, for 5 or 6 damage total to 3 adjacent foes; give him a dagger so he has two attacks and you have a great mop up character. Also, don't forget that he can move, cast spells, and then finish his move since spells and items don't count as an action.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Corridor posted:

Wow holy poo poo, sometimes people would rather do a thing one way than another way. Maybe I'm just overtired, but your "You personally dislike this feature ARE YOU CRAAAAAZYYYYY?!?!?!" crap is really smug/annoying and I don't even care about this game. Learn that opinions exist maybe.

So I looked at some Phoenix Wright HD screencaps and I dunno, is it just me or do they look kinda janky? The pixel art quality was great on DS resolution, but it's like they went, "Okay we gotta redraw every single one of these these frames for some port to some other handheld thing, just trace over the outlines with the line tool, we got a lot of poo poo to get through." Fits with what people are saying with the black bars at the edge and poo poo making it seem like a lazy port.

e. Not even nitpicking, I was pretty stoked for PW in HD but the screens left me disappointed. :smith: I'll just replay it on my DS I guess.

I felt like that at first but I got over it. I almost like the redone look now (or at least hate it less). I'd have appreciated an option to use upscaled sprites though.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Royal Scrub posted:

Well, I was hoping for something in 3D. If you haven't played TrackMania, it's like a Hotwheels set's wet dream. To say there are loops and jumps is selling it short, and it had a crazy-possibilities track editor to go with it.

Jet Car Stunts is pretty much what I'm looking for, but it has tilt controls. :(

Oh I've played the poo poo out of TrackMania. I just haven't found any game like it on ios and that was the closest recommendation I had.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Samara posted:

Kotor is awesome, I couldn't be happier that some of the best RPGs ever are making their way to iPad (BG 2 is also incoming)

I'm pretty happy with how kotor plays especially once I figured you could swipe up from anywhere on the screen to move forward (although the whole chat buttons on the right hand side is annoying if you're a lefty and it doesn't seem to be customisable).

I might give BG a go next (hanging out for PST as well) - I'm hoping that the success of AAA ports means that we will break away from the free games with eternally draining IAP mentality.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't understand the car jumping objective in Dead Ahead. I've jumped over hella vehicles in one run but since there's no counter or any sign that they're registering I have no idea if it's being picky about cars vs vans vs busses, really finicky about what it counts as over or if it's just broken.

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the

Yodzilla posted:

I don't understand the car jumping objective in Dead Ahead. I've jumped over hella vehicles in one run but since there's no counter or any sign that they're registering I have no idea if it's being picky about cars vs vans vs busses, really finicky about what it counts as over or if it's just broken.

You have to land on the car to get credit.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Heliotic posted:

I'm pretty happy with how kotor plays especially once I figured you could swipe up from anywhere on the screen to move forward (although the whole chat buttons on the right hand side is annoying if you're a lefty and it doesn't seem to be customisable).

I might give BG a go next (hanging out for PST as well) - I'm hoping that the success of AAA ports means that we will break away from the free games with eternally draining IAP mentality.

Whoever holds the license to Fallout 1 and 2 needs to get on the ball and port them to iOS ASAP.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Terraria is heading to phones and tablets!

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/grab-your-gear-%E2%80%93-terraria-is-going-mobile.100972/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bubbapook posted:

Anyone play this on a 4s yet? I'm seeing a lot of iPad chatter but I did see it offered for my phone.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Whoaaaa

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Dang. I was just wishing the other day for a PSN sale on this, but if it's on the iPad for cheaper than $15 I'm sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Picked up Merchant to the Stars earlier today and just lost 90 minutes to it. I just realized that the bottom of each item's icon tells you the material it is made from. So much better than me having to click once to pull up the stats just to see if I needed to scrap it.

• Locked thread