Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Laowai posted:

I'm addicted to this music therapy probe. Worth every darn penny.

Does it work like the Party Bomb where you can use it in flashpoints during cinema screens? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I love Watchman/Annihilation, but it's not the greatest raid spec because you more or less need to stick to your target. If you're off for more than 15 seconds, you lose Merciless/Annihilator and your dps takes a big dive. I think it'd be great if it just decayed instead of dropped, but I'm bad at balancing things. Would that be horrendously unbalanced?

Somehow I overlooked this post. What spec do you prefer for raiding?

I like my sentinel, but I get frustrated with bosses that leap around and always seem to slow you when they do it. I feel like I spend half my time trudging through mud and not damaging anyone. Sometimes I'm really jealous of gunslingers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I like my sentinel, but I get frustrated with bosses that leap around and always seem to slow you when they do it. I feel like I spend half my time trudging through mud and not damaging anyone. Sometimes I'm really jealous of gunslingers.

At least you can leap...try raiding as a DPS Operative.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

At least you can leap...try raiding as a DPS Operative.

I can see that. I've only played my scoundrel as a healer at end game. I reiterate my jealousy of gunslingers! None of that melee DPS stuff AND you can still nut-kick people at will!

On that note, are gunslingers fun? I love the scoundrel "flavor" on all the conversations. I'm thinking about rolling yet another alt. I played a sniper to 17 and thought the cover mechanic was a little awkward.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Stan S. Stanman posted:

On that note, are gunslingers fun? I love the scoundrel "flavor" on all the conversations. I'm thinking about rolling yet another alt. I played a sniper to 17 and thought the cover mechanic was a little awkward.

Gunslingers are just like Snipers in that they're built around using cover.

e: When do subscribers get the monthly funbux? I shelled out for the 60-days non-recurring on the website and am about halfway through it (ime runs out on the 26th IIRC) but I haven't gotten any yet (other than the 500 for also buying the expansion).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 31, 2013

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.

Medullah posted:

Does it work like the Party Bomb where you can use it in flashpoints during cinema screens? :D

Oh god, now I have to try that.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Gunslingers are just like Snipers in that they're built around using cover.

e: When do subscribers get the monthly funbux? I shelled out for the 60-days non-recurring on the website and am about halfway through it (ime runs out on the 26th IIRC) but I haven't gotten any yet (other than the 500 for also buying the expansion).

Usually they come a couple of days after your payment date. So you should have got them already

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm officially wary of any Jedi Knight in a group. I feel like most of the kids who play this game for free just want to be Space Jesus. I had a group of 3 for a 2+ level 21 quest, they were over leveled. The Sentinel didn't even know what Centering/Fury was, I had to explain to him what the little box that said 30 all the time meant.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Red Crown posted:

I'm officially wary of any Jedi Knight in a group. I feel like most of the kids who play this game for free just want to be Space Jesus. I had a group of 3 for a 2+ level 21 quest, they were over leveled. The Sentinel didn't even know what Centering/Fury was, I had to explain to him what the little box that said 30 all the time meant.

It's almost exclusive with Sentinels because every idiot like you mentioned ends up thinking "Holy poo poo, two lightsabers are so awesome!"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's almost exclusive with Sentinels because every idiot like you mentioned ends up thinking "Holy poo poo, two lightsabers are so awesome!"

Yeah, Sentinels and Marauders are my two least favorite people to see in the game.

Of course, because of this, while leveling 90% of the groups I form are me ( tank or heals ) and 3 Sents/Maras, all who only use Kira/Vette, and all who only have Kira/Vette in dancer gear.

Where is the droid tank/Quinn? I have no loving clue. Guess they can't wear dancer gear, so they aren't useful.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, Sentinels and Marauders are my two least favorite people to see in the game.

Of course, because of this, while leveling 90% of the groups I form are me ( tank or heals ) and 3 Sents/Maras, all who only use Kira/Vette, and all who only have Kira/Vette in dancer gear.

Where is the droid tank/Quinn? I have no loving clue. Guess they can't wear dancer gear, so they aren't useful.

There is no droid dancer gear ? :smith:

I have to admit that from what I saw pugs can be even more stupid in this game than in others. I've had a JK tank one time that just insisted starting combat by leaping on the mob I had CC'ed. I told him repeatedly to leave that one the gently caress alone but he never seemed to get it and somehow interpreted my tranquilizer dart as a big bullseye up until the very end. :doh:

I actually have a low level marauder and it does look quite kick rear end for it's low level. I had blue/red sabers at the very beginning where color crystals were still alignment restricted and as such blue/red was quite the rare combination. I was really disappointed when they removed that.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 31, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rookersh posted:

I'll admit, I love my marauder and I use Jaessa in slave girl outfit. :D

But I'm a GOOD marauder! I swear!

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Rookersh posted:

Where is the droid tank/Quinn?

Leveled to 50 using Vette on my tank Jugg. What up. :colbert:

I have to agree though; while I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, Marauders and Sentinels definitely seem to draw the worst crowd. Especially when they take my Medium Agent gear! (For themself even, not Vette) :argh:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rookersh posted:

Of course, because of this, while leveling 90% of the groups I form are me ( tank or heals )
Which class can spec either tank or healing? I enjoy the hybrid classes so I'm playing Operative as my first character, and hearing there's a tank or heal class I think I'll play that one next.

Field respec for life!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rookersh posted:

mdps/rdps comps get you through most content.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Which class can spec either tank or healing? I enjoy the hybrid classes so I'm playing Operative as my first character, and hearing there's a tank or heal class I think I'll play that one next.

Field respec for life!

They must be talking about different characters they have. There's no AC that can both heal and tank.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kmzh posted:

They must be talking about different characters they have. There's no AC that can both heal and tank.

My Annihilation spec Marauder has been in some pretty bad groups and ended up doing my own tanking and using berserk to heal the group. ;)

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

My Annihilation spec Marauder has been in some pretty bad groups and ended up doing my own tanking and using berserk to heal the group. ;)

That basically happened to me last night until we booted thr tank and got a new one. Loaded up a hm directive 7 via group finder. Everyone is 55 except the tank who is a level 50 shadow. We were just plowing through trash until we got to a bigger pull and the shadow kept melting to near death. He dies during 1 pull and the healer apologizes and tells him he's a "bit squishy". He doesnt understand the term, and proceeds to complain about how he never gets good gear. He also released immediately so the rest of us stand around waiting for him to work his way back. I take a look at his health at this point and notice he only has about 13k total. He apparently has the expansion but didnt seem to understand what he was being told about the makeb mods on the fleet. Next few fights he nearly dies again, but the group pressed on without complaining. He was kicked shortly later when he created the closest thing to a traditional eq style train ive seen in swtor; after missing a jump while attempting to circumvent some trash he doest know where to go, so he just runs straight through to us. At first I thought it was maybe 5 trash mobs, but stuff came from everywhere. It was closer to 20 and wiped everyone. He did not attempt to stealth his way past anything,

I never saw him use kinetic ward, and I wish I had checked to see if he was even in a tank stance. Im not convinced he was even aware he could stealth.

Edit: also, im not one of those bad sentinels :(

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Stan S. Stanman posted:

That basically happened to me last night until we booted thr tank and got a new one. Loaded up a hm directive 7 via group finder. Everyone is 55 except the tank who is a level 50 shadow. We were just plowing through trash until we got to a bigger pull and the shadow kept melting to near death. He dies during 1 pull and the healer apologizes and tells him he's a "bit squishy". He doesnt understand the term, and proceeds to complain about how he never gets good gear. He also released immediately so the rest of us stand around waiting for him to work his way back. I take a look at his health at this point and notice he only has about 13k total. He apparently has the expansion but didnt seem to understand what he was being told about the makeb mods on the fleet. Next few fights he nearly dies again, but the group pressed on without complaining. He was kicked shortly later when he created the closest thing to a traditional eq style train ive seen in swtor; after missing a jump while attempting to circumvent some trash he doest know where to go, so he just runs straight through to us. At first I thought it was maybe 5 trash mobs, but stuff came from everywhere. It was closer to 20 and wiped everyone. He did not attempt to stealth his way past anything,

I never saw him use kinetic ward, and I wish I had checked to see if he was even in a tank stance. Im not convinced he was even aware he could stealth.

I think I know exactly which mob pack it is that you're talking about, heh.

And I have to admit I always look at everybody's health when I get into a GF group. I don't immediately kick or leave or anything, but it gives me a general idea of what I'm working with.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

kmzh posted:

I think I know exactly which mob pack it is that you're talking about, heh.

And I have to admit I always look at everybody's health when I get into a GF group. I don't immediately kick or leave or anything, but it gives me a general idea of what I'm working with.

I seem to worry about it less when im on my sent. I figure my job is to flail around with 2 purple sticks until the carnage stops, with occasional droid cc duty tossed in.

Thats the first bad groupfinder experience ive had and really only wasted a couple of minutes to find a new tank. No big deal. I did see the shadow on the fleet later begging in general for "better gear for tanking".

A friend of mine was on his alt running low level hammer station where someone apparently pulled off a ninja loot. The healer for the group let everyone die at the last boss and timed it in a way in which he was able to finish the boss off and roll on the loot while everyone was running back and out of range. I guess the drops werent even useful for his class.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Red Crown posted:

To be fair, Sentinels are really fun to play. There's something so visceral about jumping into mobs and smashing them all down. Add in the overhead flip slash and lightsaber throws and ... :allears:

Sure focus isn't the best spec for Flashpoints, but AOEs in general aren't that great for encounters with multiple gold star mobs (unless you're overleveled :getin:)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Medullah posted:

A-Spec Marauder :hf: If your healer isn't up to snuff, I find that Berserk is usually enough to keep me breathing from random AoEs and such. I love it. Bleed Specs kind of suck for leveling, though, since you never get your money's worth on anything less than silver mobs.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Stan S. Stanman posted:

A friend of mine was on his alt running low level hammer station where someone apparently pulled off a ninja loot. The healer for the group let everyone die at the last boss and timed it in a way in which he was able to finish the boss off and roll on the loot while everyone was running back and out of range. I guess the drops werent even useful for his class.

That's an unusual dedication to ninja looting. I mean there isn't even any point at that level.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Next few fights he nearly dies again, but the group pressed on without complaining. He was kicked
If there's anything I've learned about LFG queue is that people are extremely forgiving in this game.

Until it comes to skipping cutscenes. "SPACEBAR".

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Have any of you bothered doing any of the GSI dailies? Am I going to want to throw myself in front of a bus if I start doing them?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rascyc posted:

If there's anything I've learned about LFG queue is that people are extremely forgiving in this game.

Until it comes to skipping cutscenes. "SPACEBAR".

Oh god we can't wait in the queue for another tank!

People put up with too much bullshit from tanks just because so few queue.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Field respec for life!

Yeah, I mean when I log on my Jugg and try to form Heroic groups, it'll always be 3 Marauders, and they will all be terrible. And when I try to get a Consular group going, it'll be three Sents, and again, they will all be terrible.

This is on top of around 30-40% of FPs I join where the Sorc ( on my Jugg ), or the Shadow/Guardian ( on my Sage ) tell me they are not in fact healers/tanks, they just queued as one "because it's faster lol." and then proceed to not heal/tank at all.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Rookersh posted:

This is on top of around 30-40% of FPs I join where the Sorc ( on my Jugg ), or the Shadow/Guardian ( on my Sage ) tell me they are not in fact healers/tanks, they just queued as one "because it's faster lol." and then proceed to not heal/tank at all.

These people deserve to die :argh:

I guess apart from low level groups that always lead to a full wipe ?

How can you be so ignorant as to how the system works ? Tank/heal/DPS is neither uncommon nor hard to grasp.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

These people deserve to die :argh:

I guess apart from low level groups that always lead to a full wipe ?

How can you be so ignorant as to how the system works ? Tank/heal/DPS is neither uncommon nor hard to grasp.

If it's an overpowered group, I'm fine with DPS spec healer/tanks as long as they at least use what limited heals they have or go into tank stance. Most 50 Hard Modes can be plowed through with minimal actual healing/tanking with the groups that form.

If someone queues as tank/healer in a 55 HM or a group that actually needs one, then they get vote kicked and ignored so I don't group with them again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its not like field respecs are particularly expensive at higher levels. What really gets me is "i'm not a healer lol" because dps gear is fine for healing and everyone will wait so long as they say "h/o need to respec".

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, this is more flying to Athiss, the Sorc saying he's Madness spec, asking him if he's going to heal, and getting a flat "No, I'm DPS." Even though he signed up as a healer.

It's the main reason I stopped queuing as a tank. I can keep a group of DPS up, after yelling at them enough to not hit what I CC/at least cast Guard on me. I can't survive without healing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Have any of you bothered doing any of the GSI dailies? Am I going to want to throw myself in front of a bus if I start doing them?

I've done a bunch, should be hitting Legend next week. The key to avoiding frustration and burnout is to cherry-pick the quests that don't involve going all over everywhere and to not be obsessed with doing every quest everyday. Also, be aware that, unlike the mission quests that involve the seeker droid, all of the daily seeker droid quests give you a visual cue of where to dig. You can just zip around on your speeder looking for the item on the ground instead of flailing around trying to follow the seeker's indicator.

I usually do the weekly over two or three days by knocking out the easy ones multiple times. Here's my recommendations with explanations:

Makeb:
Quake Engines - seeker droid quest on that mesa with the hovertanks, look for upside-down ping-pong paddles stuck in the ground, you can zip through this area with no fighting if you want to, I usually combine it with a daily quest to kill three strong mercs in the same area, very quick

Origins of the Makrin - seeker droid quest on Frinn Mesa, look for brown things on the ground that look kind of like a giant thorn, most of the mobs in the area are non-aggro so little or no fighting is required, very quick

Volcanic Metals - seeker droid quest on Volcanic Mesa, look for tiny volcanoes, not one I run everyday but there's a part of the staged weekly that goes through here so I knock this and the related daily out at the same time with one big loop around the mesa, speeder will get you past the mobs in the volcano so not much fighting here either

Guarded Research - the Heroic macrobinocular quest in Archon's Estates, the prereq is to scan three satellite dishes which can be done all from one spot on your way to the ultimate destination, then you fight two rooms of champions followed by a boss, can be pulled off even with idiots so I usually jump on this if I see anyone advertising for it in general chat, very quick

Tatooine:
Looking for the Droids - macrobinocular quest, your target is randomly chosen from one of four sandcrawlers, three in the Dune Sea and one right outside Mos Ila, you have to scan them each until you hit the right one, no fighting, some travel time involved if you have to go to the farthest ones in the Dune Sea

Buried in Time - seeker droid quest in the Dune Sea, look for tiny egg formations that blend right in with the sand, no fighting and the targets are all in a tight area, but they can be a pain to see

A Droid Defiant - Heroic seeker droid quest in Mos Ila, the visual cues for this one are antennas on the tops of buildings that you have to dig under, next you fight a single champion droid in an alleyway, I can solo the droid easily on my raid-geared merc but I've had trouble on my other characters, YMMV, very quick since everything's right there in town and there's only one mob to fight

I'll typically hit the first two Makeb ones I listed and knock them out in 5-10 minutes, then grab Volcanic Metals if I'm doing the Makeb weekly and the heroic if I can grab anyone else. After that, head to Tatooine, give the heroic there a shot if I'm feeling plucky, scan the sandcrawler and grab dragon eggs on the way to scanning more sandcrawlers. Altogether probably about 30 minutes, and that's half the weekly done. It's way faster to just do the same thing another day than to run some of the other dailies that involve huge travel times.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Awesome. I'm going to give them a whirl today while running the makeb dailies as I wait for my HM flashpoint group finder queue to pop. Should be enough time to do all of them :\

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I generally just do Guarded Research, Makrin Origins, and Quake Engines on Makeb a few days a week for the weekly. Guarded Research is pretty easy to solo if both you and your comp have good gear. Even when I'm wearing my PVP gear (too lazy to change while I'm in the queue) I'm usually fine. I would imagine it's even easier if you have a real CC.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Whenever I feel like doing Makeb dailies I'll hit all the GSI missions on the side since they are quick enough and unlike the other planets there are no particularly frustrating ones.

Some thoughts on the ones you might want to avoid or be aware of:

Big Red (Alderaan): If I don't come across the random thranta location while doing the other quests I abandon it and leave; some of the possible locations are very out of the way and it's not worth checking all of them (especially not with the Alderaan taxi network layout).

Daily Forecast (Alderaan): Requires you to scan 4 weather towers in various different zones. A bit lengthy but at least it's not random. You don't have to go to the quest markers: some of the towers are visible from the next zone over so you can save some time if you know where to look from.

[Heroic 2+] Warped To The Core (Hoth): Rather difficult to solo unless you are a stealth class: with stealth you can just walk straight to the end and pick up the quest items.

Forged In Fire (Hoth): It seems incredibly random whether each volcano contains the embersteel, I would personally skip this one for sanity reasons.

Scanning the Depths (Tatooine): Random locations again, can be annoying.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Oh sorry. Saw this but went to bed before I could reply.

What do I prefer? I PREFER Watchman. Problem is it's not always a good thing to use. The most important thing for Sentinels (and Marauders) is Field Respec, hands down. For Sentinels and Marauders, each spec is so much more useful in certain situations (which isn't necessarily true for every DPS class). So it depends on the fight, really. In flashpoints, I just run Watchman the whole time because boss mechanics rarely get in the way. In Operations, though, it's a different story.

Take TFB, for example. I respec like eight times on that op. Here's why:

First fight: Writhing Horror. I stay Watchman because there's almost NO downtime when I can hit the boss, so Watchman's good because I can keep my Merciless stacks up and they never fall off, so my damage ramps up ONCE and then stays at peak.

Second fight: Dread Guards. I still prefer Watchman here, personally. While you do switch targets quite a bit during the fight, Merciless is a buff on you, not a debuff on your target, so swapping targets doesn't matter. There's a potential downside to this fight in Watchman, but I've yet to confirm it. When you're killing the last one (Kel'sara?) and it casts Force Link, it's possible that Zen crit heals from burns could heal Kel'sara. I'm not entirely sure if it's true, though, and even if it is it's a relatively small amount of healing so it's not that bad. Combat works fine here too.

Third fight: Operator IX. I hate this loving fight. Watchman's impossible here, there's no time in the first phase to keep stacks up and the cores are bugged so they don't register force attacks unless you're in the perfect spot, so my burns can miss (which should be impossible). So here, I just run Combat.

Fourth fight: Kephess. I love this fight because I'm a numbers whore and you can hit 20k Merciless Slashes on him sometimes. I run Watchman here, too. Gotta be careful though, I've accidentally pushed a phase with my burns before. (That wasn't fun)

Last fight: Terror from Beyond. Best spec for this is Focus, actually. You need the on-demand burst for tentacles and anomalies. I'd run Watchman here too but the tentacles gently caress up your ability to keep Merciless up, and it's annoying to try and build up every time you fight an anomaly. Combat's okay but it's not as bursty as Focus, and burst is what you need here.

So, basically, each spec has benefits. Watchman's super fun and can outdamage the other specs, provided you're in a situation where you can keep stacks up. Combat's slightly less damage but it's more consistent. (Combat's rotation gives me a headache, though.) And Focus is still mostly burst and it's poo poo for trash anyway, IMO. So yeah. Learn them all, learn when they're best.

If you don't want to do that, probably just run Combat.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I mean when I log on my Jugg and try to form Heroic groups, it'll always be 3 Marauders, and they will all be terrible. And when I try to get a Consular group going, it'll be three Sents, and again, they will all be terrible.

I recently tanked a HM FP with a 51 BH that had the tinniest heals. I would go in, get agro, and then he would either not heal me or heal me for 200 a pop. I asked him if he was actually geared for/ spec'ed for healing and he became extremely defensive saying that he wasn't going to waste big heals. Initially I sucked it up, but on the second boss he constantly DPS'ed wouldn't heal me, and when he bothered to, it wasn't enough to even have me notice it on my health bar. We wiped three or four times, people left, and I begged him to heal while he was like "lol I am". Finally we kicked him, reason: "Healer is loving retarded and cannot heal". The whole thing fell apart because no new healer re-queued.

Then I ran an OP and he was a DPS in it. And was still retarded. gently caress him.

ALSO: Best guild names? Beer Thirty is the best I've seen. Let The Wookie Win was good too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can't decide if Looking For Love in Alderaan Places is good or horrible.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

I can't decide if Looking For Love in Alderaan Places is good or horrible.

For a pun, there's no difference between being good or horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I've been playing off and on since release and came back a couple of months ago to play with some co-workers, but most of them have stopped playing since.

Currently I have a 55 Commando/healer on Harbringer and 35 Jedi Sentinal as well.

Then I have a 50 Commando/healer (I really liked the class), 50 Consular Sage/Healer on Jedi Covenant as well as a 35 IA/healer.

My problem has always been finding an active guild. I've probably joined at least half a dozen or more and they constantly seem to be falling apart or promises of activity run dry.

If I levelled a Sorcerer during the double XP weekends on JC, is the goon guild active enough that there's groups to do flashpoints and raids regularly?

• Locked thread