Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

platedlizard posted:

I see far more women putting bags on the seats next to them than I do men spreading their legs to take up space, and I ride the bus frequently. Heck, I'm one of those women who puts her bag on the seat next to her because the floor is gross and my personal space is huge. I spread out in my way, guys can spread out in theirs. Anyone who needs that seat is free to ask me for it, and I do the same.
:ssh: In many areas it's considered acceptable and polite to ask someone to move their bag and impolite to ask someone to close their legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Another Turkish protester being blasted with a water cannon. There is speculation that this protester later died.

I wouldn't be surprised:

more proof that water cannons are certainly not harmless:

Bedshaped posted:

Also this is being distributed to the crowds to inform people how to cope with and lessen the effects of tear gas exposure, is there something similar to this in english anywhere?

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 31, 2013

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Gay Abortions posted:

Men are taught to expand and take up large amounts of available space while women are taught to remain compact and out of the way by just about every media source ever.

Look at these men who clearly are discomforted by taking up less space. I bet their pelvic bones and testicles are screaming in pain:

Was there a class I missed on spreading my legs on the bus to exert my manliness? Also, crossing your legs is very painful after a while, and asking men to cross their legs on public transportation is a way worse solution than having their legs spread open. You would completely block the aisles with hanging legs.

There's a fleshy, sensitive, highly important part of my body hanging between my legs and I'm going to try to make sure I don't injure that when I'm sitting. What I DO see in a lot of the photos people are posting are backpacks and other things their legs that encourage them to spread their legs wider, and you could easily make an argument for placing your bag on your legs and keeping the legs just spread apart enough to prop the bag up rather than claim that is part of a system designed to keep women down.

Gay Abortions posted:

:ssh: In many areas it's considered acceptable and polite to ask someone to move their bag and impolite to ask someone to close their legs.

Wouldn't it be more productive to fight the social trends against asking people to close their legs?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I feel like the fight against patriarchy has better avenues than how men sit on public transportation. Just my opinion.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

Why exactly? It's perfectly reasonable to point out the double standard in modern western culture where women are expected to be perfect hairless barbie dolls whereas men obviously look perfectly fine as is (regardless of how little effort any individual man puts into their own personal grooming regimen). It's the same sort of weirdass double standard that lets morons un-ironically claim that women look worse as they age than men which uhh...

...seems pretty unlikely from my perspective.

Yeah, like I said, I agree with what you and the artist are asserting, I just don't particularly like the way they conveyed it there.

Gay Abortions posted:

:psyduck: Except the complaint is that men do this more than women, and are more inconsiderate of personal boundaries than women, and are taught to be more inconsiderate than women from an early age. Yes, people often expand to fill the available space. When there is a limit on space, men are more likely than women to take up unneeded space by, for example, spreading their legs or resting arms across backrests. This is often (via common socialization) considered invasive and threatening when it means they physically contact women they don't know.

In short, you see men bumping their knees into women all the time on transit, but you (almost?) never see women spreading their legs in a way where men sitting next to them have to hold theirs together to avoid contact.

Citation needed. I really feel like that's the kind of generalization you can't make all will-nilly, issues of privilege notwithstanding.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Gay Abortions posted:

Men are taught to expand and take up large amounts of available space while women are taught to remain compact and out of the way by just about every media source ever.
This is like the sociological equivalent of :biotruths:

platedlizard posted:

Part of a Triassic era ichthyosaur me and my dad found about two years ago in Eastern Oregon. Dad's been prepping out the fossil and recently found this jaw bone and teeth.
That's is extremely awesome.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
I don't get what the big deal is "somebody else's leg is touching mine, clearly this is erotic to them"? Kind of a wild assumption to make.

I haven't seen this on here yet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2013/05/30/mb-graphic-school-video-concerns-parent-winnipeg.html

Teacher shows graphic video (intended for adults) about bullying. I thought the video was well done, but showing it to kids... ya, probably not the best idea.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Barry Foster posted:

This is the most poisonous thing in UK popular culture.
Aw man, that's pretty harsh.

Barter Books (where copies were first found and popularised) is a pretty cool second hand bookshop operating out of a disused railway station in the north of England. It's nice to see them doing well out of it (also I have £20 in credit there I need to get round to using at some point).

Russian riot police respecting the right of groups to assemble peacefully.

Swiss President Ueli Maurer.

Edit: VVV- Those guys may be sticking their legs out to the side, but where else should they put them? Those seats are too low for them to be both straight out in front, bent at 90 degrees at the knee, and resting on the seat. Instead they're going to have their knees in the air which is neither stable nor comfortable. By stretching their knees out to the side they're also pulling their legs back and leaving the aisle clear...

I kind of wonder how much the author of that Tumblr being 5'0" has skewed her perspective slightly :/ It is interesting to have it flagged up as a problem though. I tend to keep myself to myself as much as I can on public transport, but it can't hurt to be more aware of how I sit.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 31, 2013

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

The sitting deliberately with legs open and taking up too much space thing is an actual thing that some men do, and some of the men that do it will get really angry if you ask them to move so you can sit. The fact that tumblr freaks out about it and has blogs with numerous lovely examples doesn't mean it's not a real thing that happens. It's amusing watching everybody flail around and complain about how they have to have their legs wide open not to crush their balls.

The message you should probably take away from the fact that there are people who blog about this is "I should sit with my legs closer together when the seats on the bus start filling up, so somebody can see that there's a seat next to me and I'm willing to move to let them in". It looks like most of you are going with "Oh god these feminists want to squish my testicles to a pulp for being an aggressive patriarchal rapist in the way I sit with my legs slightly open".

subpage posted:

I don't get what the big deal is "somebody else's leg is touching mine, clearly this is erotic to them"? Kind of a wild assumption to make.

Where are you getting this? Sometimes dudes just open up their legs and shove other people's legs out of the way and it's annoying.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Ok but to be fair, that tumblr is criticizing perfectly normal sitting behavior in addition to the rude individuals taking up more than their own space:

Yes, that tumblr is poo poo, and also tends to attribute deliberate maliciousness to the way dudes are sitting when there clearly is none. Tumblr goes overboard with every social issue.

user on probation fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 31, 2013

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Ok but to be fair, that tumblr is criticizing perfectly normal sitting behavior in addition to the rude individuals taking up more than their own space:

"these two were together, like dating, and still found it necessary to take up three seats"

Their knees are lined up with their shoulders, they are exactly occupying their own space. I am not sure what the issue is in this particular instance.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

Jesus, is that his right eyeball hanging out?

Istanbul skyline.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Jesus, is that his right eyeball hanging out?

I think it's his torn eye-lid:

quote:

"As well as suffering major bruising on both sides, Wagner’s eyelids were torn, and on one side, part of his orbital bone – which encases the eye – was fractured. The retina on the same side also suffered suspected damage. The lenses of his eyes were damaged and will need to be replaced by artificial lenses.” A doctor says Wagner is “currently blind and might never have his sight fully restored"

More Turkey protest:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
e. eh, you know what this is a stupid argument that I'm not going to continue. Have a picture of my dad working on Bernie the ichthyosaur instead. Bernie is at OMSI's paleolab in Portland, Or, which is open to the public if you ever want to pop in and say hi.

ekuNNN posted:

I wouldn't be surprised:

Fake edit: holy poo poo, yeah, I'd be very surprised if that guy didn't have internal injuries and broken bones from that, at the very least. Water cannons are meant to A. pump water into building to put out fires, often up several stories, and B. blow apart said buildings to remove fuel for the fire. They have their use, and that use is to put out fires, not protesters. What the gently caress.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
My god three things goons should never talk about :

police ,racism, and feminism :

More civil rights stuff

Jobs for all :ussr:

Beaver Patrol
Sep 25, 2005

Gay Abortions posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/LDgzVHR.jpg[img]
What are these many areas?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

First they came for the flagchatters..

Then they came for the papermoneychatters...

Then they came for the sittingchatters...

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gay Abortions posted:

In many areas it's considered acceptable and polite to ask someone to move their bag and impolite to ask someone to close their legs.

bassguitarhero posted:

Also, crossing your legs is very painful after a while

There's a fleshy, sensitive, highly important part of my body hanging between my legs and I'm going to try to make sure I don't injure that when I'm sitting.

Do you guys live in the planet called earth? I swear to loving god people who care about tumblr come from Uranus or something. How the hell are you so goony that you can't tell someone to close their legs and how even goonier must you be to feel physical pain by having your legs crossed.

And Jesus dude, how old are you that you can't sit down without crushing your balls? Trust me, they're not that big.

Do you guys think the turkish heroes who are out there protesting can't cross their loving legs or sit without smashing their balls? Or ask someone to watch out for their legs?

Here's a solution to a lot of "problems" that tumblers find during everyday life: Stop being idiots and act like adults.

(this post came from an adult male with standard genitals who typed the entire post with his legs crossed without bleeding internally)

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
You are right. Sitting chat is dumb, tumblr is dumb. Have some philosophy via tamagotchi instead:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Hmm, yes, my pointing out that there's social pressure to not do a thing is clear evidence that I cannot do that thing and am too "goony" to do so, yes, hmm.

tehloki posted:

The message you should probably take away from the fact that there are people who blog about this is "I should sit with my legs closer together when the seats on the bus start filling up, so somebody can see that there's a seat next to me and I'm willing to move to let them in". It looks like most of you are going with "Oh god these feminists want to squish my testicles to a pulp for being an aggressive patriarchal rapist in the way I sit with my legs slightly open".
This is pretty much everything else I want to say on the topic.

Have some Malcolm X

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's some more riot infographics to accompany the tear gas counter-measure one I posted before:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Funf fact: My local dialect (western Bavarian) had its own word for girls or women sitting with their legs spread ("an Groal ham"). It's all but extinct now, though.

:nms:Aftermath of a V2 attack on Antwerp, 1944:nms:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7qZWGsgRl0

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Some maps from http://mapsontheweb.tumblr.com/

World Map by most recent war fought on each country’s land

Atheists

Bigfoot sightings + booze laws

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
Only on D&D could that awful mockery of a tumblr actually lead to serious debate. :allears:

Barry Foster posted:

This is the most poisonous thing in UK popular culture.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a McDonald's themed post for no real reason:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Okay I think we've lost the privilege of sitting down in buses forever, it's too controversial.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ekuNNN posted:

I wouldn't be surprised:

Heres the video about it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uofQzHb5hw It looks way worse in the video and I wouldn't be surprised if he died from it, wow.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I will have greater 'leg awareness' in the future.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Heres the video about it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uofQzHb5hw It looks way worse in the video and I wouldn't be surprised if he died from it, wow.

:stonk: and then they sprayed the crowd who ran to help him.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wasn't this found to be a hoax? Not to say that water cannons aren't hosed up.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

One Thousand White Women, that sound uh, interesting. I wonder what it's about.

quote:

One Thousand White Women is the story of May Dodd and a colorful assembly of pioneer women who, under the auspices of the U.S. government, travel to the western prairies in 1875 to intermarry among the Cheyenne Indians. The covert and controversial "Brides for Indians" program, launched by the administration of Ulysses S. Grant, is intended to help assimilate the Indians into the white man's world. Toward that end May and her friends embark upon the adventure of their lifetime. Jim Fergus has so vividly depicted the American West that it is as if these diaries are a capsule in time.

:stare:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Wasn't this found to be a hoax? Not to say that water cannons aren't hosed up.

No.

Here's the German wiki page on him: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Wagner
Apparently he lost all use of his left eye and the right eye has 8% vision now. He hasn't gotten an apology either.

platedlizard posted:

:stonk: and then they sprayed the crowd who ran to help him.

Remember how the cops did that with a flashbang when they almost killed Scott Olson at occupy wallstreet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEj_4fqDbnM

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Mans posted:

Are you seriously saying the USSR killed 16-18 million people in Poland? And if you're talking about Holodomor and the Gulags how is it an occupation regime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqG9Ih1ZmeI

This is from a couple pages back but it's been bugging me. Are you sure that those lyrics you posted are really for that song? I don't speak a word of Russian but the verses and choruses from the song just don't go with those words at all. (I could only find those on one site via google, and no alternatives, though some pages suggested that the word "gandzia" means :420: .)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIwxynwUxLA

Eduard Kihl, totally awesome dude.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Cracked's always worth reading.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

I hope you don't mind, but I tracked down a version that's easily readable:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edminster posted:

I hope you don't mind, but I tracked down a version that's easily readable:

Ah cool, I'll replace my tiny version with that in my collection of stuff.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wow. Came back from a night out, 61 unread posts. I don't think I'll ever quite understand what drives D&D goons.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wow. Came back from a night out, 61 unread posts. I don't think I'll ever quite understand what drives D&D goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Speaking of police using grenades on bystanders at riots and protests, have this classic from the Vancouver 2011 Hockey Riot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8eTFSJAIvg

• Locked thread