Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

All the thermo line has compared to the standard profi, is insulation. Profi can take CO2 or N2O. This is what I have. It's the foodservice model. I love it, it's generally in my fridge with some veg/fruit concoction that I like to drink fizzy, with alcohol added, obviously.

So, profi and thermo are basically the same, but thermo stays cold for 8 hours at room temp, and hot for 3 hours at room temp. DO NOT buy one of the soda siphons. Only ever buy an iSi Pro.

worth the extra for insulation? does the straight up profi one not have any insulation at all?

I don't care about 3/8 hours really, but I probably would appreciate being able to leave poo poo off the stove/out of the fridge for 1hr/3hrs though... the main times I can forsee using one of those is cooking for a lot of people, where I already have enough to worry about.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Do this. I used yukons, and agar as my foaming agent. It was the best potatoes.

This is insanity

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
What's the best (student-budget) kind of toaster oven? Does it matter? Are there things to look for? My flatmate and I want to get one and we're not sure what to go for. I searched the thread but the only ones I saw recommended were like ~$80 and I'm not really into that. Will skimping on cost gently caress us over in the long run, or is it mostly a volume/features thing?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

worth the extra for insulation? does the straight up profi one not have any insulation at all?

I don't care about 3/8 hours really, but I probably would appreciate being able to leave poo poo off the stove/out of the fridge for 1hr/3hrs though... the main times I can forsee using one of those is cooking for a lot of people, where I already have enough to worry about.

I guess, if you plan on keeping something hot or cold and don't want to leave it in a pot of hot water, or on ice.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

All the thermo line has compared to the standard profi, is insulation. Profi can take CO2 or N2O. This is what I have. It's the foodservice model. I love it, it's generally in my fridge with some veg/fruit concoction that I like to drink fizzy, with alcohol added, obviously.

So, profi and thermo are basically the same, but thermo stays cold for 8 hours at room temp, and hot for 3 hours at room temp. DO NOT buy one of the soda siphons. Only ever buy an iSi Pro.

Is there any noticeable difference between CO2 and N2O, or really any reason to use one over the other?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vagueabond posted:

What's the best (student-budget) kind of toaster oven? Does it matter? Are there things to look for? My flatmate and I want to get one and we're not sure what to go for. I searched the thread but the only ones I saw recommended were like ~$80 and I'm not really into that. Will skimping on cost gently caress us over in the long run, or is it mostly a volume/features thing?

What are you going to do with it, make frozen pizzas, bake a chicken, or make toast?

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/gadgets-and-gear/2012/01/the-best-and-worst-of-toaster-ovens/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Is there any noticeable difference between CO2 and N2O, or really any reason to use one over the other?

CO2 have that fizzy tingle that sodas have. N2O doesn't. Also, carbonate a mixed drink sometime. It doubles the effectiveness of the alcohol.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

Also, CO2 is water soluble. N2O is fat soluble (which is why you use it to make whipped cream). Also, when in solution, CO2 makes carbonic acid which has a distinct flavor (and is why soda tastes so much sweeter when it goes flat, less acid to offset the sugar). So they are for two distinct applications.

I have a half pint iSi, and I've used it to infuse grapes, oranges and watermelon with CO2. It's not designed for CO2 use as far as I know, but the cartridges are the same size and it works fine for that kind of thing. Infused fruit is really cool, and the sweeter the fruit the better because the of the acid thing mentioned above.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's not designed for CO2 use as far as I know, but the cartridges are the same size and it works fine for that kind of thing.

They just say that so you'll buy a soda gun. iirc the 1L profi can hold up to 18 grams of CO2 or N2O.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Good news everybody.
There's a new Dacia AU website up for Williams-Sanona /West Elm/ Pottery barn for Australia.
West Elm has a good price for a Lodge 10" CI skillet, $29 http://www.westelm.com.au/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Skillet-ndash-10-rdquo.html
Edit: W-S.com.au sucks, $70 for the same thing even though the websites are affiliated.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 23, 2013

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
How feasible is a hand-crank meat grinder? I really don't feel like investing in an electric grinder/don't have a kitchen-aid and I would like to grind my own beef for burgers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Doctor posted:

How feasible is a hand-crank meat grinder? I really don't feel like investing in an electric grinder/don't have a kitchen-aid and I would like to grind my own beef for burgers.

It works but it can be taxing if doing more than a few servings worth. Also there are a shitton more lovely hand grinders than electrics, and the good ones are well into decent electric grinder range.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A food processor works as a decent grinder too.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mod sassinator posted:

A food processor works as a decent grinder too.

Only for small amounts. My family does ~40 lbs of korv (Swedish pork and barley sausage) for Christmas every year, the difference between a food processor grinder and the electric grinder my uncle bought several years ago is massive.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the texture of die ground vs food pro ground meat is very different. You can make things like gyro meat and emulsified sausages (bratwurst, boudin blanc/noir) in a food pro though.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Vagueabond posted:

So I know it is not within your budget that you posted, but I have the Breville toaster oven in the video that Bob Morales linked to from america's test kitchen product review, and it is indeed, loving awesome. The review is spot on.

I live in a basement apartment with no kitchen, and it serves as my only oven/toaster. I toast bread with it for sandwiches, I warm up food for dinner in it, I bake cookies and cakes, I roast vegetables in it daily for dinner. What I mean to say is, the review may seem a little overkill but this thing is totally worth it. For the ability to essentially have a small oven on your countertop it is a good value for the amount of use it gets, in my house at least.

Definitely consider what you want to do with the device before you buy. If you're only going to be toasting bagels and bread slices, just buy a cheap slot toaster. If you want it to replace an actual full size oven...well...

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

Fo3 posted:

Good news everybody.
There's a new Dacia AU website up for Williams-Sanona /West Elm/ Pottery barn for Australia.
West Elm has a good price for a Lodge 10" CI skillet, $29 http://www.westelm.com.au/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Skillet-ndash-10-rdquo.html
Edit: W-S.com.au sucks, $70 for the same thing even though the websites are affiliated.

gently caress yeah, thanks for this.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I asked this in the canning thread but it's really a request for a recommendation. I have this shinny new induction cooktop and I would really like to do some canning. Most of the pressure cookers I'm finding on Amazon are aluminum which isn't going to work. Does anyone have a favorite pressure cooker that would be big enough for canning that would work with induction?

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
My girlfriend bought this siphon, there was a Groupon for it last month for 26 bucks:
http://www.amazon.com/Molecule-R-Culinary-Whipper-1-Ounce/dp/B00695YTKC

It works really well, I've used it with C02 and N20 with good results. I've used it for all the standard stuff plus some stuff like carbonated drinks and fruits and hot whipped cream once which was neat. I've even done things like the modernist cuisine hollandaise where you immerse it in a sous vide bath for about an hour at 65C and it did fine. It feels really sturdy, aside from the actual nozzle bit everything is thick metal. At it's current price I would say maybe go for the iSi just because the brand is more established but if they ever do a sale like that again you can't beat it. If you cook for more than a few people or if you seriously hate scaling recipes a 1L model may be better but I've been fine with the half liter.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bunnita posted:

I asked this in the canning thread but it's really a request for a recommendation. I have this shinny new induction cooktop and I would really like to do some canning. Most of the pressure cookers I'm finding on Amazon are aluminum which isn't going to work. Does anyone have a favorite pressure cooker that would be big enough for canning that would work with induction?

Presto makes a 8 quart in stainless steel.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

dino. posted:

Presto makes a 8 quart in stainless steel.

I'm reading up on that and it says it's not good for canning unfortunately, I may get it for just cooking though thanks =) Everything I've found makes it sound that there really aren't good sized 'pressure canners' for an induction cooktop, I'm guessing maybe the weight will get to be too much at those sizes? I don't even have the option of gas here unfortunately, unless I get a propane something but canning on those scares me.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Something else to consider is getting a small non-induction hot plate/burner and using that with a big pressure canner: http://www.walmart.com/ip/12188086?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227001308891&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=30061997350&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

I'd be careful about making sure the canner fits on it though and doesn't tip off of it or overflow it too much.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Ended up stumbling by a restaurant supply store in Noho today. Bought a whole bunch of stainless steel mixing bowls and a 8.5" nonstick omlette pan for a total of $30. Feels good man :smugdog:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what do you guys use for your heavy cleaning? like venthood covered in 6 month old yellow grease cleaning; need to nuke the stove from orbit cleaning?

I've tried a lot of things with and without bleach, barkeepers friend, stove cleaners, etc - and I think the best I've found is 409. which just doesn't seem right.

I want to like barkeepers friend really badly, but while it does an OK job with the sink, it doesn't seem to shine with much else. (I don't have much stainless in my kitchen though)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

what do you guys use for your heavy cleaning? like venthood covered in 6 month old yellow grease cleaning; need to nuke the stove from orbit cleaning?

I've tried a lot of things with and without bleach, barkeepers friend, stove cleaners, etc - and I think the best I've found is 409. which just doesn't seem right.

I want to like barkeepers friend really badly, but while it does an OK job with the sink, it doesn't seem to shine with much else. (I don't have much stainless in my kitchen though)
For grease cleaning I pretty much always use Simple Green. The only caveat is that it (and 409 too, for that matter) shouldn't be used on aluminium.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Get this set. All you'll ever need at home, and only $120.

I'm also looking into replacing a farberware knife set I have. If I grab this, what kind of knife block would I need? Is that Kapoosh thing any good? Do I need to buy anything else to maintain them?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't know about the kapoosh. You could see if the knives fit your existing knife block and banish the old knives to a draw, you could get a saya (Japanese wooden sheath), you could get a magnetic knife rack for them, you could use a jar full or rice/cornmeal for them.
As far as maintenance accessories though, look into a ceramic hone. Idahone or MAC are the main ones.
The MAC ones that CKtG sell are black, not just for the not 'staining and going grey' pretty factor that a lot of white ceramic hone owner whine about, but the MAC blacks have a steel rod inside to prevent them breaking if they are dropped, so they are worth it for more than aesthetics.
I have a MAC white though, which they don't list there, but it was ~$30 just like the idahones were priced at there. But idahones seem OK, they just aren't sold in Au so I've never seen one

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

akadajet posted:

Is that Kapoosh thing any good?

The Cooking for Engineers guy didn't like it:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/272/Kapoosh-Knife-Block-not-recommended

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I have a kapoosh and love it.

Responses to that article:
- It did get black slivers when I pulled my knives out at first, but that stopped over time. They're easy to see and blow off.
- If it gets too tight for multiple knives, you can actually prune some of the rods off to make room. There are plenty so it still holds well when there's only one knife.

Cons about the kapoosh:
- the angle would be better if it was more tilted
- yeah, anything longer than 8 inches sticks out

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 29, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I friggin love my benchcrafted mag blok. http://benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Those are dead-sexy and reasonably-priced, as well. If I wasn't in an apartment I'd jump on one.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

That looks pretty nice, I don't suppose there's a European alternative? :shobon:
e: They have a UK dealer, but it seems a bit of a hassle to order from that specific one.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 29, 2013

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

SubG posted:

For grease cleaning I pretty much always use Simple Green. The only caveat is that it (and 409 too, for that matter) shouldn't be used on aluminium.

I use Awesome! that my boyfriends mother gave me. She has borderline OCD with regards to cleaning, so I trust her judgement. It just dissolves old, cooked on yellowed grease, like from the top of the hood fan. I wouldn't touch it with bare skin, though.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have a kapoosh and I like it but now I want one of these.

Kapoosh is good, definitely best for thin knives though. If you have knives with thick spines it can be a little annoying to use.

edit: I don't have the one in the cookingforengineers article, mine is the slightly larger stainless steel one. I've never had an issue with moisture or rods bending or falling out, and I've never felt any need to wash the rods. You do have to use a little finesse when putting the knives in though.

Doodarazumas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 29, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This is today's deal on Woot. $469 for a 9-piece Shun Edo set, with knife block. I have no idea if this is a good deal or how good Shun knives are but thought it'd be worthwhile to let you all know!

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

The Midniter posted:

This is today's deal on Woot. $469 for a 9-piece Shun Edo set, with knife block. I have no idea if this is a good deal or how good Shun knives are but thought it'd be worthwhile to let you all know!

I have a few Shun knives from the Classic and Pro line and they are nice knives with generally very good fit and finish and reasonably good steel. But the Edo set looks like it's designed to appeal to looks more than function, kind of like their widely reviled Ken Onion line. Plus the set gives you a bunch of similarly sized and shaped knives all of which are slightly too short. Also that "dual density" scalloped utility knife looks like it would be more at home in the hands of a level twelve goblin thief. In conclusion, that set is literally a thousand times worse than Hitler.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't why the Ken Onion line is so reviled. I have a few of them, and the big one is my most used knife. The steel is hard as poo poo and consequently difficult to sharpen, but it holds an edge and the handle is super comfortable, particularly if you do the pinch grip where the hilt meets the blade.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I don't why the Ken Onion line is so reviled. I have a few of them, and the big one is my most used knife. The steel is hard as poo poo and consequently difficult to sharpen, but it holds an edge and the handle is super comfortable, particularly if you do the pinch grip where the hilt meets the blade.

I personally couldn't stand the weird handle angles and blade curve. When I demoed the chef knife, it felt like I was using a scimitar where my knuckles were too close to the cutting board.

That's just my opinion - the knife did cut very well and had a nice heft to it. I'm also someone who hugely prefers very little curve in my blades - I use santokus and gyutos over western style chef's knives - so that should probably invalidate my comment for a number of people looking at those knives.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

I didn't know it was. I got the chef's knife as a gift a few years ago and absolutely adore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

Eh. I don't care for the feel of them, but that's a personal thing. I do think the problems Gilgameshback mentions are valid though, independent of how they feel in your hand---too many all around the same size and all too small. For US$470 I'd get a 240mm Moritaka gyuto (around US$210), an 80mm Dojo paring knife (around US$60), and a CCK #1 small slicer (around US$40) and end up with a way the gently caress more versatile set of cutlery, without a bunch of useless blades I'll never loving use, and still have around US$150 left to spend on mescal and strippers.

• Locked thread