Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
Is it too naive of me to hope that Brandon Sanderson is the mystery writer? :shobon: I mean, we know he likes Magic, so I could see him being brought in to check this out.

Also, with the reveals of Dream Dance and Archmage Wrenlocke (which I'm way more excited to screw around with than Eye of Creation), I'm now waiting to see which cards in Sapphire and Diamond (for The Transcended's tutoring) would allow me to go infinite, or else splashing Blood (with the hopes of some mana-fixing resources) for Pact of Pain and Relentless Corruption as the win con (unless Wrenlocke after two Dream Dances would still keep Corruption from costing 0, which would be ideal). It's highly convoluted, but I want to make it work, dammit!

All Nines fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Where are you getting all this card reveal info from?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They reveal a few cards at the end of every article on http://hextcg.com/

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I want to upgrade from King to one of the tiers with the free drafts for a year but I can't for the life of me decide which.

6 alternate art PvP cards a year doesn't seem a lot, but with no idea how the economy is going to turn out it is difficult to say if they'd be worth enough in the long run. Similarly it is impossible to judge just how much the double loot from dungeons will be worth from a PvP card buying perspective. I might just have to flip a coin to decide.
I really wish I'd jumped on the pro player earlier.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

X_ThePerfect posted:

I want to upgrade from King to one of the tiers with the free drafts for a year but I can't for the life of me decide which.

6 alternate art PvP cards a year doesn't seem a lot, but with no idea how the economy is going to turn out it is difficult to say if they'd be worth enough in the long run. Similarly it is impossible to judge just how much the double loot from dungeons will be worth from a PvP card buying perspective. I might just have to flip a coin to decide.
I really wish I'd jumped on the pro player earlier.

If what you want is PvP my suggestion is to get 2 king pledges so you get 2 lotus gardens and 310 boosters plus 2 primal packs.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

signalnoise posted:

If what you want is PvP my suggestion is to get 2 king pledges so you get 2 lotus gardens and 310 boosters plus 2 primal packs.

Alternatively, pick Guild Master and get 245 boosters (I think?), 1 primal pack, and 52 weeks of booster drafts (156 more boosters, plus the equivalent of $52 in entry fees). You only get 1 Lotus Garden, so it really depends on the value of that versus a boat load more boosters.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Alternatively, pick Guild Master and get 245 boosters (I think?), 1 primal pack, and 52 weeks of booster drafts (156 more boosters, plus the equivalent of $52 in entry fees). You only get 1 Lotus Garden, so it really depends on the value of that versus a boat load more boosters.

Yeah I think it depends on how often you really think you're going to draft. If you're going to draft consistently once a week, get Guild Master. If you're going to be able to draft multiple times a week but weeks apart, get 2x King

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks both, two kings does seem pretty good, as it should have a playset of all kickstarter exclusive cards too.
Having said that, the year of drafts should in theory last into at least the second set while the boosters lock you very much into set 1. Gives me yet more to think about I suppose.

Do we know if the hex equivalent of tix are tradeable between players? Or is it just the PvE earned currency that is tradeable?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

X_ThePerfect posted:

Do we know if the hex equivalent of tix are tradeable between players? Or is it just the PvE earned currency that is tradeable?

It would be hilarious if this is why they were claiming the Dungeon Crawler tier was probably the best, because gold is the only tradeable currency!

If platinum isn't tradeable then there's really no reason for it to exist as a currency other than a convenience for not having to charge $1 dollar every time someone wants to draft or get in a tournament.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 31, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Eh, Collector gets an additional copy of all King exclusive cards, with stretch goals that's 3x all of those cards, except Spectral Lotus Garden as that's not included in the stretch goal, but it does get two, it's the only $250 tier to get two. It also gets two copies of those six cards a year, too.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Platinum is definitely tradeable - it's even shown in the auction house picture on the Kickstarter.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, Collector gets an additional copy of all King exclusive cards, with stretch goals that's 3x all of those cards, except Spectral Lotus Garden as that's not included in the stretch goal, but it does get two, it's the only $250 tier to get two. It also gets two copies of those six cards a year, too.

I'm definitely in the camp that Collector is a better buy than 2x King - I have a feeling that those cards are going to be highly valued (specifically by other collectors who want playsets or by people who don't get in on the ground floor) - of course at this point I'm hoping to squeeze into a GK slot if I get lucky

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm definitely in the camp that Collector is a better buy than 2x King - I have a feeling that those cards are going to be highly valued (specifically by other collectors who want playsets or by people who don't get in on the ground floor) - of course at this point I'm hoping to squeeze into a GK slot if I get lucky

I'm waiting for all the trolls in the last 24 hours, posting "GK/PP about to open up".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

I'm waiting for all the trolls in the last 24 hours, posting "GK/PP about to open up".

I'm just afraid of what's going to happen once the first few Hex accounts get hacked.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm just afraid of what's going to happen once the first few Hex accounts get hacked.

Isn't the first stretch goal authenticator support? They'll have no one to blame but themselves, unless Cryptozoic manages to bungle it completely.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Add a stretch goal giving Collector a fourth copy of exclusive cards; thanks in advance.

Gotta have a full playset, right? :)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Huh, apparently, the Alternate Art PvP cards Collectors get are all going to be Rare or Legendary.

Someone on the forum showed the message thing from CZE to confirm. Though, I didn't ask them myself, though, so, there's that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points-and-question-marks/

New article with more details about PvE

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BenRGamer posted:

Huh, apparently, the Alternate Art PvP cards Collectors get are all going to be Rare or Legendary.

Someone on the forum showed the message thing from CZE to confirm. Though, I didn't ask them myself, though, so, there's that.

That makes sense, they'd have a lot of angry backers if they were just giving out alternate versions of Goblin Piss-boy or whatever.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Seems like it would be best if they made alternate art of the most used instead of just rares and legendaries. It would suck for the collector tier art cards to go totally unused and thus, worthless.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

quote:

Most quest rewards can include a combination of: XP, gold, cards, equipment, reputation increases, and upgrades for your keep. The more complex the quest, the better the rewards (so, rewards for completing raids and dungeons will be better than those for the single encounter quests).

Have they mentioned this before? Something like player houses?

So, I was wondering about the precedent the Spectral Garden/Spectral Lotus set: are they planning on including more 1-use-only PvE cards? Perhaps something like a Health Potion artifact, that restores a decent chunk of life for cheap but turns into an Empty Bottle after using it (and you can make more Health Potions using Empty Bottles and your Alchemy Set card). Or a Potion of Memory that draws a few cards. Or a Grenade that deals 2 damage to the enemy champion and each troop they control (log in every day to get one free from your Dwarven Tinker Table card, gotten exclusively from a high-level dungeon). And so on.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

That's the kind of thing which is easy to do in a pure-digital game, so I can see it happening, especially in dungeons and raids. For example, I can easily see a reward for doing an encounter in a dungeon the "hard way" being an extra one-use-only card in your opening hand for the rest of the dungeon (or until you use it).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

So, I was wondering about the precedent the Spectral Garden/Spectral Lotus set: are they planning on including more 1-use-only PvE cards? Perhaps something like a Health Potion artifact, that restores a decent chunk of life for cheap but turns into an Empty Bottle after using it (and you can make more Health Potions using Empty Bottles and your Alchemy Set card). Or a Potion of Memory that draws a few cards. Or a Grenade that deals 2 damage to the enemy champion and each troop they control (log in every day to get one free from your Dwarven Tinker Table card, gotten exclusively from a high-level dungeon). And so on.

One of the stretch goals was some sort of keep defense minigame. You'd get to set up your keep's defenses and attack other people's keeps.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

Well, a lot of MMOs treat consumables as big parts of the game. It's definitely design space that can be explored and consumable cards would make great common drops in dungeons.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
A lot of info in episode 54 of this podcast https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-geek-allstars/id446568794?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

- Cards WILL NOT be changed (they'll be banned)
- You will never be able to get all of the cards. There are going to be seasonal things (like arenas) that will MAKE YOU pick one card or the other.
- Equipment will be hard to get. You aren't going to just get a legendary every dungeon. Cory scoffed at the idea of having all the equipment without spending serious time or cash.
- There is no guild bank in the sense that you can throw cards there for people to take. You'll have to trade the freebies to guild mates.
- It sounds like decks you put in the guild bank are still your decks, I'd need to listen again to confirm this.

I'm re-listening to this since I was playing LOL while listening the first time. OP to be updated with new info.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Karnegal posted:

- Equipment will be hard to get. You aren't going to just get a legendary every dungeon. Cory scoffed at the idea of having all the equipment without spending serious time or cash.

Suddenly Dungeon Crawler Tier seems more valuable. If they're going to be hard to get, getting 20 random rare/legendary equipments could save a lot of effort.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Suddenly Dungeon Crawler Tier seems more valuable. If they're going to be hard to get, getting 20 random rare/legendary equipments could save a lot of effort.

On the other hand, their article today states that Raids are the PvE end-game, and Dungeon Crawler doesn't do anything for raids.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Here's a direct download of the podcast for people who can't or won't run iTunes.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

pumpinglemma posted:

Here's a direct download of the podcast for people who can't or won't run iTunes.

Thanks for that I went from the KS update

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zurai posted:

On the other hand, their article today states that Raids are the PvE end-game, and Dungeon Crawler doesn't do anything for raids.

According to another poster, there's going to be endgame Expert Dungeons as well:

pumpinglemma posted:

By the way, I asked via a Kickstarter message and there apparently will be expert-level dungeons to go along with the raids in the endgame.

Presumably, Dungeon Crawler will work on those.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The podcast mentions "around 40 dungeons at launch, which can be multiple hours long", and I assume every dungeon has at least one boss, so dungeon crawler might not be that useless even if it doesn't work on raids.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Karnegal posted:

- There is no guild bank in the sense that you can throw cards there for people to take. You'll have to trade the freebies to guild mates.

Wow that's complete bullshit. Suddenly I'm going to have to keep a loving excel spreadsheet so my friends know what's available

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
A lot of you still aren't getting why Dungeon Crawler is so valuable: it's both repetitive and for life. As long as the game itself attracts players, the release state doesn't matter. If there aren't enough places for it to be useful in Set 1, sooner or later, enough people will complain that there will be a single player dungeon worth farming down the road.

One draft a week is nothing. It might be worth $3.50 if you are terrible and win half your boosters back on average, or $6 if you are an average player whose expectation is to win exactly 3 boosters a draft. In both cases, if you're playing the game a year after release it will simply subsidize a pretty big addiction since you'll be drafting a lot more than that. In addition, the PP advantage doesn't kick in for a year so you have to discount both of those numbers by a lot. If somebody were to sell a PP account exactly one year out and Hex is popular, it would have a very well defined premium over a normal one, something like a few hundred dollars. As long as gold can be exchanged for platinum, and as long as China has a single gold farming business left standing, Dungeon Crawler will never be worth less than that and could be worth that much a month. That's not counting whatever the 20 random items turn out to be and/or if one or two sets wind up hilariously imbalanced and insta-restricted like at least one card in every other TCG/MMO ever.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Wow that's complete bullshit. Suddenly I'm going to have to keep a loving excel spreadsheet so my friends know what's available

It seems to me like you have to do about the same amount of bookkeeping as you would for lending cards in a physical TCG. I agree it sucks that the guild bank doesn't let you do more - I was excited about that too - but at the same time I can kind of see why CZE doesn't want to be much more permissive than the model they're basing everything off.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

It seems to me like you have to do about the same amount of bookkeeping as you would for lending cards in a physical TCG. I agree it sucks that the guild bank doesn't let you do more - I was excited about that too - but at the same time I can kind of see why CZE doesn't want to be much more permissive than the model they're basing everything off.

Well I mean, yeah, I get it. If everyone just pools their cards and always puts back cards they borrow, then you effectively can have like 4 or 5 people who might as well have every card even though you only have a couple sets. That's easy enough. What's annoying is that that's not the impression they gave me before I gave them paypal money.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Adar posted:

A lot of you still aren't getting why Dungeon Crawler is so valuable: it's both repetitive and for life. As long as the game itself attracts players, the release state doesn't matter. If there aren't enough places for it to be useful in Set 1, sooner or later, enough people will complain that there will be a single player dungeon worth farming down the road.

One draft a week is nothing. It might be worth $3.50 if you are terrible and win half your boosters back on average, or $6 if you are an average player whose expectation is to win exactly 3 boosters a draft. In both cases, if you're playing the game a year after release it will simply subsidize a pretty big addiction since you'll be drafting a lot more than that. In addition, the PP advantage doesn't kick in for a year so you have to discount both of those numbers by a lot. If somebody were to sell a PP account exactly one year out and Hex is popular, it would have a very well defined premium over a normal one, something like a few hundred dollars. As long as gold can be exchanged for platinum, and as long as China has a single gold farming business left standing, Dungeon Crawler will never be worth less than that and could be worth that much a month. That's not counting whatever the 20 random items turn out to be and/or if one or two sets wind up hilariously imbalanced and insta-restricted like at least one card in every other TCG/MMO ever.

To be fair, the free draft includes the boosters used in the draft, so it's $7 (3 boosters + draft fee) plus whatever you win, once a week, for life. If you draft every week, that's $364/year + winnings.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Adar posted:

One draft a week is nothing. It might be worth $3.50 if you are terrible and win half your boosters back on average, or $6 if you are an average player whose expectation is to win exactly 3 boosters a draft.

Not trying to dispute the rest of your post, but don't you get to keep the cards you drafted? I know you might not end up with 3 rares out of the deal depending on how the draft goes (maybe you just don't see any rares that are worth using with the other cards you've drafted, etc), but I don't think it's right to just assign the value of the three boosters used in the draft as $0.00, either. If nothing else, with a completely free draft you could just draft towards value and sacrifice the tournament completely. Not that I condone that as a matter of course, but it's absolutely going to happen and it does have an impact on the value of the reward.

That all said, I'm personally vacillating on whether to switch to dungeon crawler from PP. The thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that we just plain do not know anything concrete about dungeon rewards. Twice "?" is just "??".

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

In relation to the Dungeon Crawler discussion I asked a few questions through Kickstarter yesterday about dungeon content and rewards. While some of these questions I assumed I already knew the answers I wanted to get something more definite from Cryptozoic themselves since at the time I couldn't find a lot of info on the PvE dungeon content (or I just didn't know where to look):

quote:

Q: Will it ever be possible to "out-level" certain dungeon content to where it is no longer relevant to your character?

A: Not really the way we have things working. Certain dungeons "unlock" as you get higher level, but the way our game works is you can still bring a bad deck to a dungeon and get wrecked. The encounters will get harder as you access new ones, so by some respects the lower level dungeons will get easier, but you will still have to bring the right tools to the fight.

Q: Will loot drops from dungeons and dungeon bosses always stay relevant to your character's level? (Unlike many traditional MMOs where once you've leveled to a certain point the loot you get from certain dungeons is below your character). I imagine so given this is a TCG but I'd like to be sure.

A: You have to remember that loot drops in our game is either a cosmetic item (deck sleeves, etc...), special PvE cards you can only find in that dungeon, or equipment relevant to a specific card. So needing items from a specific dungeon aren't dependent on your character, but the cards you want and the gear for the cards you have. So yes, the loot drops will always be relevant.

Q: Is there one boss per dungeon or are there multiple bosses per dungeon where the Dungeon Crawler reward of double loot will apply?

A: Some dungeons are 4-6 mini-bosses and a dungeon boss, some have up to 15-20 rooms/bosses/encounters before the final dungeon boss. So there is a lot of value for the Dungeon Crawler tier!

Emphasis mine on the last question which was the one I was most curious about. It pretty much confirmed for me that I will be sticking at the Dungeon Crawler level. I was worried that a dungeon would be a 3 hour fight to get to a final boss you'd get double loot from. Instead it sounds like there will be plenty of opportunities for double loot throughout a dungeon.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

signalnoise posted:

Agreed with this. There is no reason except to penalize people to not have a guild bank in a MMOG for the 2013-14 release date. Maybe there will be enough uproar about this for them to put something in.

quote:

- You will never be able to get all of the cards. There are going to be seasonal things (like arenas) that will MAKE YOU pick one card or the other.
A giant gently caress you to every 'collector' type of person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Korak posted:

Agreed with this. There is no reason except to penalize people to not have a guild bank in a MMOG for the 2013-14 release date. Maybe there will be enough uproar about this for them to put something in.

The thing that kills me about it is that, well I forget where I read it, but I read something about the guild bank basically being the equivalent of when you and your friends pool your cards. I did this when I was a kid with Magic, and our collection suddenly filled a duffel bag. It was a huge selection. They're really trying to limit that, and it's bullshit.

• Locked thread