Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We definitely had "The S" in Canada. I always thought it was from the Suzuki logo... I missed out on all the cool satanic cult rumors! :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radius Fracture
Sep 22, 2008

The suspect has trouble with lasting relationships and is possibly a high-functioning alcoholic
Man I've been walking around wondering about those S's for like a month now. I definitely drew them when I was a kid in Sweden and now when I've started working as a substitute teacher, I've been seeing them pop up on some of the kids' notebooks. Whatever they are, their staying power is phenomenal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Triskelli posted:

Oh god, I had a tub of these! :3: I had glow in the dark ones too, and I melted a brick trying to "charge" it on a lightbulb

So were they awesome?

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Tagra posted:

We definitely had "The S" in Canada. I always thought it was from the Suzuki logo... I missed out on all the cool satanic cult rumors! :sigh:

The first time I read that sentence all my eyes caught were "Canada" and "Suzuki". I just spent the last minute wondering why David Suzuki had a logo that looked like that :downs:. Speaking of which, does anyone remember The Nature of Things?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

So were they awesome?

I had them too. Their awesomeness is debatable but they had their uses. Mostly for "clothes" and walls and poo poo for action figure use. They seemed to advertise themselves as being better than Lego, which is clearly a lie. I don't know how I talked my Grandparents into getting me so many, they must have gotten a deal on em somehow, because I seem to remember having way more of the drat things that I had any particular use for.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dogdoo 8 posted:

The first time I read that sentence all my eyes caught were "Canada" and "Suzuki". I just spent the last minute wondering why David Suzuki had a logo that looked like that :downs:. Speaking of which, does anyone remember The Nature of Things?

Isn't it still on? My aunt dated Suzuki for a while and he was always speaking at the university where I worked.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
Here we are, fifteen years later than when this commercial originally aired, and I'm sitting here with my birthday approaching in a week, and if my mom surprised me with this I have no doubt I'd react as if I were six again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7fk7PS4Ybs

Or the Burger King Green Apple Slime dipping sauce for chicken nuggets. http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/11477296.html

And the "23 karat gold" plated Pokemon cards :allears:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

leidend posted:

Isn't it still on? My aunt dated Suzuki for a while and he was always speaking at the university where I worked.

I moved to the U.S. awhile ago and didn't consider that it might still be on the air. I just looked it up and it is.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I miss old bumpers like the Disney or Nickelodeon bumpers. Made TV unique I feel.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQY9ZJPnsg
Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog.

Primal Rage. That orange raptor eventually became the name for my first DnD character. The rest was down hill from there :v:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My brain retains the weirdest poo poo.

It only lasted 13 episodes back in 1990, but I could have sworn it was more than that. As I rememeber, Nickelodeon played it ALL THE TIME on the weekends. Anyone else remember "SK8 TV"? A bunch of skateboarding dudes, including a young Tony Hawk being EXTREME!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK8-TV

I just now realized that a lot of my 1990's nostalgia comes from Nickelodeon.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Retail Slave posted:

It only lasted 13 episodes back in 1990, but I could have sworn it was more than that. As I rememeber, Nickelodeon played it ALL THE TIME on the weekends. Anyone else remember "SK8 TV"? A bunch of skateboarding dudes, including a young Tony Hawk being EXTREME!

Weird, I remember a show like that but only on MTV that my dad used to watch all the time.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Ooooh flashbacks. This was sold in Australia as well. That Magic Drawing board also triggers something from the bit about the magic textas.

Textas (markers) were the utter rage in grade 2/3. Stuff like Crayola's that made patterns, or having a whole intact set of clip together or ones that smelled of fruit. I'm not sure why we as kids were being encouraged to sniff pens.

As the grades went on the coveted ones were the Posca brand.

Notably the 15mm width pen that was akin to carrying around a pen full of paint. It's used for decorating shop windows and surfboards. Given the fact they'd coat anything they were banned.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ballin Stalin posted:

And the "23 karat gold" plated Pokemon cards :allears:

I still have one of those gold cards, as well as some of the pokeball shells the toys came in that were later recalled for suffocating babies. MOM THEY'RE COLLECTORS ITEMS DAMMIT :reject:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I still have one of those gold cards, as well as some of the pokeball shells the toys came in that were later recalled for suffocating babies. MOM THEY'RE COLLECTORS ITEMS DAMMIT :reject:

I still have all of them. :smuggo:

Though my Jigglypuff card had the authenticity certificate of a Mewtwo. Now it, and by extension the set, is worthless! My investment! :negative:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Retail Slave posted:

Huh. I also have a steel-trap memory, especially when it comes to obscure Nickelodeon shows, but I absolutely have no recollection of this at all. I remember not-often-talked about shows like Don't Just Sit There, Kid's Court, Make the Grade and other late 80s/early 90s Nick stuff, but I don't remember SK8 TV at all, never even heard it mentioned until this post.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cromulent posted:

Huh. I also have a steel-trap memory, especially when it comes to obscure Nickelodeon shows, but I absolutely have no recollection of this at all. I remember not-often-talked about shows like Don't Just Sit There, Kid's Court, Make the Grade and other late 80s/early 90s Nick stuff, but I don't remember SK8 TV at all, never even heard it mentioned until this post.

I watched all of those shows. Every time I hear of comedian Paul Provenza, my mind immediately goes to Kid's Court.

Also there was "Just You and Me, Kid" which was kind of like an early-morning kid/adult themed workout show.

And there was that show where they played arcade games, but I have no idea what it was called.

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 20:19 on May 31, 2013

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Retail Slave posted:

And there was that show where they played arcade games, but I have no idea what it was called.

Was the host bald?

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
/
:backtowork:

Retail Slave posted:

Nick Arcade?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Honestly I don't remember. My memory of that particular show is quite hazy. I *think* it was primarily "Ok, here's an arcade game, go see if you can get X number of points/pass X level in Y amount of time" and if they did they got prizes.

Like I said, that's how my brain remembers it, but it was so long ago my memory is probably distorted.

Also Nick showed Looney Toons in the afternoons for the LONGEST time. There would be old Roadrunner and Speedy Gonzalez (God, that cartoon was racist) cartoons that you couldn't see anywhere else. They'd even have promotions where a Looney Toons character would run across the screen at a random time during any show, and when it did you were supposed to call a number and you could win something.

Also I can't find anything about this on Google, but did Nick used to have a series they called "Weekend Delivery" on Saturday or Sunday afternoons where they'd show some crappy animated movie or some poo poo. I always hated it and I think they did it for years.

Also this was Nick's attempt at SERIOUS TEEN DRAMA back in the day: A show called "Fifteen", featuring a very young Ryan Reynolds. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101099/?ref_=sr_2

Also, "Welcome, Freshmen" was an awesome show that I wish was still on the air.

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Jun 1, 2013

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Retail Slave posted:

Honestly I don't remember. My memory of that particular show is quite hazy. I *think* it was primarily "Ok, here's an arcade game, go see if you can get X number of points/pass X level in Y amount of time" and if they did they got prizes.

Like I said, that's how my brain remembers it, but it was so long ago my memory is probably distorted

It sounds less like Nick Arcade and more like whatever the hell this show is - Retsupurae found it and riffed on it a while back, it's closer to what you're describing than Nick Arcade as far as I can tell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xysRavyu6c

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

Starcade? It was 80's though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIbW7c2hRMw

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

It sounds less like Nick Arcade and more like whatever the hell this show is - Retsupurae found it and riffed on it a while back, it's closer to what you're describing than Nick Arcade as far as I can tell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xysRavyu6c

:stare: Oh my God, I think that's it!

Goons are awesome.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
The Nick Arcade equivalent in Canada was this show on YTV. I remember getting so excited to watch it as a kid. :allears:

Supersonic has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jun 1, 2013

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Supersonic posted:

The Nick Arcade equivalent in Canada was this show on YTV. I remember getting so excited to watch it as a kid. :allears:

The only thing I really remember about this show is that they gave away a poo poo ton of Donkey Kong bubble bath.

The buttons were pressable and would push air into the "screen" where you'd try to land rings on poles. I had one of these because I wanted the Game Boy more than anything in the world and it was the closest thing I'd get for like five more years, other than this:

It's just not the same. :smith:

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Manfrompoot posted:

The buttons were pressable and would push air into the "screen" where you'd try to land rings on poles. I had one of these because I wanted the Game Boy more than anything in the world and it was the closest thing I'd get for like five more years, other than this:

It's just not the same. :smith:

I had a bunch of these. What the hell were they for besides trying to hit your sister in the eye? They came packaged with pokemon figures, but as far as I know, there was no pokemon figure game you were supposed to play involving these things. They were just... there.

Kinda wish I could find mine again.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

I got these for Christmas once when I was 13 or so, shortly after the end of the 90s. These pens were total poo poo--they ran out of ink within minutes and they were useless without a stencil as there was no good way to control your breath to freehand while also blowing into the top.

Another item they always tried to hock at us was the amazing elastic plastic balloon:

Or, more honestly:

I wonder if that stuff is now a known carcinogen in California?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Brick Shipment posted:

I had a bunch of these. What the hell were they for besides trying to hit your sister in the eye? They came packaged with pokemon figures, but as far as I know, there was no pokemon figure game you were supposed to play involving these things. They were just... there.

Kinda wish I could find mine again.

By the time Pokemon came out the Gameboy was pretty much a dead system. When Pokemon gave it a huge shot in the arm and suddenly made it start selling again Nintendo determined to make sure everyone associated the two things because at that point they were pretty much linked by a monetary umbilical cord. Although they tried to sell the Game Boy Color with Zelda, what really sold it was the extra color options in Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon games were pretty tied with all game boy systems sales up until the DS.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

TunaSpleen posted:

Another item they always tried to hock at us was the amazing elastic plastic balloon:

Or, more honestly:

I wonder if that stuff is now a known carcinogen in California?

Ugh that poo poo was such a disappointment when I finally got some.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
This one might be a little specific to people who played games, but I can't be the only person who got this disc with their first PS1 in 1997. It had all sorts of games on it, and I'll never forget the music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng8---kRElE

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Ballin Stalin posted:

This one might be a little specific to people who played games, but I can't be the only person who got this disc with their first PS1 in 1997. It had all sorts of games on it, and I'll never forget the music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng8---kRElE

WOAH! Nostalgia bomb right it my brain. I definitely had that sampler disk! I loved playing it, because the full games were too long and involved for me to really ever beat, so just playing the little samples over and over was enough for me. It had, a racing game? And one that involved "Kain" in the title and was too scary for me at the time. Oh! and a cinematic for some game that involved a virus, the background music was opera-ish. It had a really scary segment of a rat turning into a mutant rat and I did not like it At. All. But I still watched it every now and then. My memories of these games are very vague because I wasn't really good at them so I never picked up the full versions. What were they called?

EDIT: Found one, Legacy of Kain. This was the exact demo I had: . It was so dark and scary and the music gave me the shivers. I don't think I ever got past killing that first dude.

VVVV Thanks!

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Jun 4, 2013

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax

Double Plus Good posted:

WOAH! Nostalgia bomb right it my brain. I definitely had that sampler disk! I loved playing it, because the full games were too long and involved for me to really ever beat, so just playing the little samples over and over was enough for me. It had, a racing game? And one that involved "Kain" in the title and was too scary for me at the time. Oh! and a cinematic for some game that involved a virus, the background music was opera-ish. It had a really scary segment of a rat turning into a mutant rat and I did not like it At. All. But I still watched it every now and then. My memories of these games are very vague because I wasn't really good at them so I never picked up the full versions. What were they called?

You're thinking of either Gran Tourismo or Test Drive. Legacy of Kain, and Parasite Eve was the game with cells (which is an excellent game, play it if you get the chance). Parasite Eve's trailer mystified me as a kid, to the point that when I was older some twelve years later I sat down and played it because of the nostalgic impression it left on me. I guess the advertisers at Squaresoft did their job, it lead to sales of the game over a decade later :kiddo:

edit: here, have the exact trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyR9qgcdAU

Ballin Stalin has a new favorite as of 06:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Ballin Stalin posted:

You're thinking of either Gran Tourismo or Test Drive. Legacy of Kain, and Parasite Eve was the game with cells (which is an excellent game, play it if you get the chance). Parasite Eve's trailer mystified me as a kid, to the point that when I was older some twelve years later I sat down and played it because of the nostalgic impression it left on me. I guess the advertisers at Squaresoft did their job, it lead to sales of the game over a decade later :kiddo:

edit: here, have the exact trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyR9qgcdAU

Oh man, yes. Even as a grown adult the part with the rat made me want to cover my face. I think I liked to watch it for the music, because the visual really freaked me out. MediEvil was also on the disk and scared me too. I actually did end up getting Spyro and Rugrats as full games, if that gives you any indication of my temperament as a child, haha. :3: It was my first ever video game system, so the scary stuff just seemed more scary, like it was real or something, even with the terrible graphics.

Although the Rugrats game had some weird levels. For the most part it was just running around the Rugrats house and doing puzzle/collection type games, but a few of them..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWReDfEhhU The Mr.Friend level
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jl62_2UadM The Shadow Monsters level
http://youtu.be/-waJeASpc_c Visitors from Outer Space

But mostly I would just explore the levels.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Jun 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got this for Christmas fifteen years ago:

I also had an Action Man PC game. You'd go through each level and he'd periodically declare, "I AM ACTION MAN!"

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
This voice sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jElSZFo3XFo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

I also had an Action Man PC game. You'd go through each level and he'd periodically declare, "I AM ACTION MAN!"

Stupid sexy Action Man.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Metal Loaf posted:

You know, just in case you confused him with Batman or something.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Ballin Stalin posted:

The entirety of my PS1 game library consisted of demo discs for the first several months I owned the system.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

InternetBully posted:

Plus any show with prizes had to give away Skechers (It's the S!).

I remember seeing those commercials all the time and coveted that toy because of how much bigger they were than the Legos I had. I knew I'd never get them, and like all other things I couldn't have, I just worked my Chinese knock-off magic with my Legos and K'nex and made the best facsimile I could.

And glow in the dark poo poo only ever looks good in a blacklight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ha, I had BetterBlocks as a kid. They were about the size of a 4x2 Lego brick, except rounded and with only 2 round snap connectors - this is what allowed the movement seen in that gif. I remember that the set actually had adapter bricks with Lego compatible sides on the top or bottom so you could combine brick types.

I understand why they didn't last though - the design precluded kits and minifigs from ever being made, meaning it would never be anything more than a generic "bucket of multicolored Lego-style bricks".

• Locked thread