Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

FrozenVent posted:

Late July slot, wooo!

I'll keep checking, thanks for the tip.

I'm assuming this works on the same system as Global Entry? For mine, even though my interview was scheduled a month later at a different airport (IAD), I was just passing through EWR and poked my head in at their office and got interviewed after a fifteen minute wait or so. Might be worth trying if you are passing through an airport with an interview location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

taco show posted:

Speaking of credit cards, I'm considering dropping my Citi AAdvantage for Chase Sapphire Preferred. I get enough miles from work travel, and I think UR points are way more valuable than what I get from my Citi. However, I don't know if I like the idea of having to book fun travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. I've heard hotels are often more expensive, it's a huge hassle, etc. Thoughts?
One advantage of the Citi card is the annual 10% rebate on redemptions. (Assuming you're already elite on AA, in which case the other benefits are less interesting.) You can, of course, always have multiple cards. You can typically even sign up for a second AA or US card and get the signup bonus all over again. :ssh:

Nifty posted:

The value of the Sapphire Preferred is far more in the flexibility of transferring points to multiple airline/hotel partners than it is booking travel through the portal. You get 1.25 cents/UR point in the UR portal, but for example a United mile or Hyatt point are worth about 2 cents.

The downside for you would be that, since you have the AAdvantage card I'm assuming that's your airline, the Sapphire Preferred doesn't transfer to AA.
Don't forget that the Sapphire Preferred gets a 7% annual "dividend" so any point earned is really 1.07 and travel/dining spend is 2.14 points.

While these points do not transfer to AA, they do transfer to British Airways, and you can book AA saver awards via BA. (Typically not a good deal for long-haul flights, but you can often get short-haul AA domestic flights for very few BA points.)

Nifty posted:

Booking award travel through United is so much easier than AA though.
Really? I feel it's the other way around, personally.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I finally hit Delta Silver again this year :toot: ! Vancouver is awesome, by the way. I also had a cat as a seat mate for the first time. The couple next to me had brought their cat with them. Best seat mate ever!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Morby posted:

I finally hit Delta Silver again this year :toot: ! Vancouver is awesome, by the way. I also had a cat as a seat mate for the first time. The couple next to me had brought their cat with them. Best seat mate ever!

Hah never flown with an animal. I know it must have been in a carrier but I'm imagining this very laid back cat with the buckle fastened around its waist working on a crossword puzzle or playing Sudoku.

How is everyone else doing mileage wise so far? I'm sitting at 30k on US Airways, so I've hit Silver for 2014 already but I'm pretty sure I'll easily hit Gold at 50k. It would be really nice to reach 75k and get Plat because I'm not sure what will happen to the status tiers with the American Airlines merger. I have another 7k miles booked for June already and might get some more tacked on to the end of the month.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Mileage not doing great but on track to hit Diamond on Hilton!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Lyon posted:

Hah never flown with an animal. I know it must have been in a carrier but I'm imagining this very laid back cat with the buckle fastened around its waist working on a crossword puzzle or playing Sudoku.

Actually, because it was listed as a service animal, they were able to bring the cat out of his carrier and put him on their laps. Their cat did a great job with it, too, and was perfectly content that way. My cat would have been tearing the plane apart, so kudos to him for that.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Lyon posted:

How is everyone else doing mileage wise so far? I'm sitting at 30k on US Airways, so I've hit Silver for 2014 already but I'm pretty sure I'll easily hit Gold at 50k. It would be really nice to reach 75k and get Plat because I'm not sure what will happen to the status tiers with the American Airlines merger. I have another 7k miles booked for June already and might get some more tacked on to the end of the month.

Still at 100k but I haven't traveled for 31 days now and my next flight isn't until June 3rd. I bet I won't even hit 200k this year!

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
Delta - 42 segments / 47k MQMs
SPG - 44 nights YTD / 88k SPG points (incl pts from Amex CC and Delta Crossover). Also earned Gold for life! :smuggo:
Marriott - 80 nights YTD / 162k points

Edit: 1 lowly night at Hilton

sink the biz fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 23, 2013

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

sink the biz posted:

Delta - 42 segments / 47k MQMs
SPG - 44 nights YTD / 88k SPG points (incl pts from Amex CC and Delta Crossover). Also earned Gold for life! :smuggo:
Marriott - 80 nights YTD / 162k points

Edit: 1 lowly night at Hilton

Holy poo poo.. 123 hotel nights YTD?! There's only been 141 nights in the year so far!! I mean even if you include the 5 nights that SPG gives credit for with the Amex that's still insane.

Edit: just checked your post history I forgot you're the one who posted this image

Nifty fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 23, 2013

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Lets see...

Delta - 64 Segments / 43,000 MQM
Marriott - 42 Nights

I finally hit Gold on Delta. I just found out that I am being extended till the end of September on this project so I'll definitely hit Platinum before I roll off.

Unfortunately I moved into a corporate apartment a month ago so no more Marriott points for me. :( At least I completed the Platinum challenge before I moved :).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No more soft landing for status on AA. I've used it before and definitely won't make status this year. Oh well, better use it while I got it.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Nifty posted:

Mileage not doing great but on track to hit Diamond on Hilton!

Congrats! I'll make gold, but probably not until late August. At least the Hilton Gods take pity on me with occasional drink tickets. Unfortunately, hotel bars are a minefield... today, some old drunk guy followed me from the lobby bar and tried to kiss me in the elevator. Free drinks = :confuoot:

As for miles, I have discovered that AA Plat gets me practically nothing over Gold, and Gold gets me nothing over having the Citi credit card.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

taco show posted:

Congrats! I'll make gold, but probably not until late August. At least the Hilton Gods take pity on me with occasional drink tickets. Unfortunately, hotel bars are a minefield... today, some old drunk guy followed me from the lobby bar and tried to kiss me in the elevator. Free drinks = :confuoot:

As for miles, I have discovered that AA Plat gets me practically nothing over Gold, and Gold gets me nothing over having the Citi credit card.
AA Plat gets you double miles flown, and gold gets you 25% bonus :confused:

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Small White Dragon posted:

AA Plat gets you double miles flown, and gold gets you 25% bonus :confused:

When I was a young lad and only doing about 60k miles a year I used to get upgraded all the time out of ORD on AA Plat with the exception of SFO/SJC routes :mad:

Plat on AA is pretty decent for now, who knows after the US merger.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Plat will get you MCE, Gold is going to lose that benefit.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

kansas posted:

Plat will get you MCE, Gold is going to lose that benefit.

What, really? That kinda sucks, I figured Gold would at least get some say in those seats. drat, really no difference between the credit card status and that now.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Belldandy posted:

What, really? That kinda sucks, I figured Gold would at least get some say in those seats. drat, really no difference between the credit card status and that now.

Oh weird, you guys were making me nervous, AA Plat is the equivalent to US Gold in terms of miles flown so I should be fine as I will pretty much always hit at least US Gold/AA Plat.

US does Silver at 25k, Gold at 50k, Platinum at 75k, and Chairman's at 100k. I'm surprised AA doesn't have a 4th tier, seems like a reasonable place to put one. Maybe it will be added after the merger since US has it, who knows!

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Apparently I'm the only business traveler that flies Southwest? Is there a reason why no one likes Southwest here? I've probably flown 15 round trips this year and specifically only go on SWA, never have anything against them.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Apparently I'm the only business traveler that flies Southwest? Is there a reason why no one likes Southwest here? I've probably flown 15 round trips this year and specifically only go on SWA, never have anything against them.

Very limited route network, domestic only, no business/first, etc.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Never had a problem getting where I need to go on Southwest, then again I'm flying out of Midway and it is one of their big hubs. Cheap flights (when using points) and quick to status were the reason I chose them. Not to mention fully refundable and easy flight changes when the projects I'm on have halts or speed bumps.

One business select trip to Nashville gave me enough points for a round trip to Florida. Coworkers that fly United say that it usually takes them like 10 segments to even get a one way.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

In our case, they almost never show up in our travel booking site.

Once they did, and I decided to try to book them, both to see what the Southwest experience was like, and because it gave me a trip through Midway, which was an airport I had not yet been through. Our travel agent called me half an hour later, saying that Southwest had refused our ticket purchase. According to her, for whatever reason, they often reject purchases from our system, and she doesn't know why we continue to list their flights. :shrug:

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Ah that makes sense. Southwest pretty much doesn't let booking through external sources, never actually seen it show up anywhere, even in price comparisons. We get the privilege of paying for our own airfare and then expensing it back. I happen to prefer Midway over O'Hare, small, quick and easy.

I was just curious though, are other airlines perks that much better? Should I start flying someone else? The biggest perk I see with SWA is the Fly-By lane with Business Select flights (or hitting A-List status) as well as the companion pass (free flights for your companion, even when booking reward travel which I find awesome. Too bad I'm still 60k points away.)

I've also heard nothing but issues about my coworkers who fly united, lost luggage, delayed/cancelled flights, way too small of planes. We like to make fun of them when they do arrive, and then ask them why the hell they would check luggage in the first place.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

In our case, they almost never show up in our travel booking site.

Once they did, and I decided to try to book them, both to see what the Southwest experience was like, and because it gave me a trip through Midway, which was an airport I had not yet been through. Our travel agent called me half an hour later, saying that Southwest had refused our ticket purchase. According to her, for whatever reason, they often reject purchases from our system, and she doesn't know why we continue to list their flights. :shrug:
Southwest is famous for not allowing their flights to be listed/sold on third party sites -- you can often only book a ticket through them directly. This has proved very advantageous now that Southwest is no longer significantly cheaper than the legacies.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 23, 2013

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Southwest is famous for not allowing their flights to be listed/sold on third party sites -- you can often only book a ticket through them directly. This has proved very advantageous now that Southwest is no longer significantly cheaper than the legacies.

The thing I hate about southwest now, is that literally starting last Friday, my most flown trips increased by 18% each way through the rest of the schedule (January 5th), and I can't find anyone else that has actually noticed this. Flights that were $250 are now $316. Looking at trips that i've taken before and comparing them to now the prices are also significantly more money, which is why I'm trying to see if there is a better airline to get on, but the points from SWA just seem to be way more rewarding and flexible.

"I need 30 legs to get status on United and then get a free flight" is what my coworker said last night.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

The thing I hate about southwest now, is that literally starting last Friday, my most flown trips increased by 18% each way through the rest of the schedule (January 5th), and I can't find anyone else that has actually noticed this. Flights that were $250 are now $316. Looking at trips that i've taken before and comparing them to now the prices are also significantly more money, which is why I'm trying to see if there is a better airline to get on, but the points from SWA just seem to be way more rewarding and flexible.
What do you want to do with your points?

"I need 30 legs to get status on United and then get a free flight" is what my coworker said last night.
Eh? As an AA Plat or higher, you can get ~10,000 miles on a round trip transcon, plus several hundred extra if you charge that to an AA credit card. That's almost enough for a one-way saver ticket anywhere in the domestic US (12,500 miles).

I believe it's similar for other legacies but I haven't done the math lately.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

What do you want to do with your points?

Eh? As an AA Plat or higher, you can get ~10,000 miles on a round trip transcon, plus several hundred extra if you charge that to an AA credit card. That's almost enough for a one-way saver ticket anywhere in the domestic US (12,500 miles).

I believe it's similar for other legacies but I haven't done the math lately.

I want to go on vacation with my points, but they can also get me the companion pass.

And I'm just repeating what they said about United, they don't have status anywhere so they won't be getting platinum level points, they are getting standard lovely levels of points.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

I want to go on vacation with my points, but they can also get me the companion pass.
Some of the legacies do offer companion passes, but they're typically only for paid (non-award) domestic travel.

Basically, with AA/US/UA/.etc, the biggest "bang for your buck" is to redeem for international and/or premium cabin flights. As a frequent flier, you're eligible for free upgrades on paid domestic travel, so it's often not worthwhile to use your miles domestically, anyway (IMHO).

NOTE: British Airways does offer a companion pass for international award travel, and you can credit flights on AA to your BA account, but the companion pass is only good on actual BA flights and they do levy fuel surcharges.

And I'm just repeating what they said about United, they don't have status anywhere so they won't be getting platinum level points, they are getting standard lovely levels of points.
Okay, well, that just doubles points, so it would take 2 transcons instead. However, the legacies programs are based on miles flown, so if you're flying a bunch of 45 minutes puddle jumpers or something, it could very well take you 30 flights.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Southwest shows up on Concur if you do very specific searches for it. Otherwise, you won't find it if you do a standard search through it. I managed to finally get status on Southwest. Since most of my personal flights are to LA (yay LD relationshiup) from SF and my business flights are SF - BOS, its advantageous for me to build up with SW. That being said, I've been very seriously thinking about building up status with United since I have a Sapphire Preferred card and figure I can leverage the United Points transfer there. If I get status with United, that status carries over to their partners correct?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Southwest shows up on Concur if you do very specific searches for it. Otherwise, you won't find it if you do a standard search through it. I managed to finally get status on Southwest. Since most of my personal flights are to LA (yay LD relationshiup) from SF and my business flights are SF - BOS, its advantageous for me to build up with SW. That being said, I've been very seriously thinking about building up status with United since I have a Sapphire Preferred card and figure I can leverage the United Points transfer there. If I get status with United, that status carries over to their partners correct?
Yes, although keep in mind there are sometimes a few privileges airlines extend only to their own frequent fliers (especially domestic upgrades).

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I fly Southwest exclusively for business (though I don't fly especially often). I don't really care about no first class. The biggest perk for me is how much better the return on investment is. I have only flown 4 times this year, but because they were business select fares, and Southwest has been running a double points promotion for the past couple months, I am already A-List Preferred (free wi-fi, priority boarding, 100% point bonus).

If you fly Business Select on the Company's dime, and fly Wanna Get Away for personal, your return on business expenses is 20% (12 points per $1 spent, 60 points per $1 redeemed). And when they are running double points the return is 40% which is absolutely ridiculous.

Nifty fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 24, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Nifty posted:

I fly Southwest exclusively for business (though I don't fly especially often). I don't really care about no first class. The biggest perk for me is how much better the return on investment is. I have only flown 4 times this year, but because they were business select fares, and Southwest has been running a double points promotion for the past couple months, I am already A-List Preferred (free wi-fi, priority boarding, 100% point bonus).

If you fly Business Select on the Company's dime, and fly Wanna Get Away for personal, your return on business expenses is 20% (12 points per $1 spent, 60 points per $1 redeemed). And when they are running double points the return is 40% which is absolutely ridiculous.

The promotion was awesome. I'm finally A-list (I don't always have the option for A-list Preferred unfortunately, only if I book a few days in advance rather than planning my trips). I can't wait for free wifi.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
I've been A List preferred for my last three flights and finally they have wifi! I'm on the plane listening to the Blackhawks game I'm missing out on watching.

Not the greatest perk, but it'll do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Southwest is always as expensive with me, has more stops, the perks dont extend internationally, and the miles are useless for me. Also no tsa precheck.

But im of the theory of saving miles and booking $20k multi week and stop awards that I would not purchase in the first place. Getting award trips on little flights here and there just don't do it for me. Also system wide upgrades rule.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
For me, it's Delta or bust. We fly out of Atlanta all the time because it's only an hour and a half north, and that's a Delta hub. We can fly out of our small, regional airport to Atlanta for an extra $200 ($100 each way), but for me it's not a huge perk to do that when the regional shuttle is $70 round trip and I can drive myself for $40 round trip. I've never had an issue with Delta or any of their affiliates (though British Airways and Air France are way better in some ways).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nexus interview report: showed up fifteen minutes early, walked out of the airport two minutes after my interview was scheduled to start. Spent most of the time shooting the poo poo with the CBP guy.

My boss was all "Why do you need a Nexus card, you almost never go to the states." :laugh:

On the other hand I only traveled about 12 segments this year to date so she might have a point. Expecting to have a few longer flights coming up though, I have a project ramping up.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
I've got 8 segments booked in the next 3 weeks and then I'll have silver :unsmith:

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

sellouts posted:

Southwest is always as expensive with me, has more stops, the perks dont extend internationally, and the miles are useless for me. Also no tsa precheck.

But im of the theory of saving miles and booking $20k multi week and stop awards that I would not purchase in the first place. Getting award trips on little flights here and there just don't do it for me. Also system wide upgrades rule.

That's how to do it, IMO. I'm saving my miles for a pair of Oneworld around-the-world tickets; should have the miles this year. 330k AA miles for a $25k+ ticket isn't a bad deal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just booked 2 of the 180k tier awards, if you need help with it let me know. Or the thread on Flyertalk is pretty good.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone have any tips for Phoenix? I'm connecting through there tonight on my way home to Philly and with that tropical storm coming up the east coast I'm already preparing for major delays. I have club access but if I get stuck there for a day is there anything nearby worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Scottsdale is nice in a boojy sort of way. Probably better to ask LAN.