Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin

The Baron frowns somewhat as the conversation gets twisted in knots, as he slowly tries to pick his way through both breakfast and his own conflicting thoughts. "See, this is why I said we should just get on with the day," interjects Martin. "Maybe Meleuz is playing something and maybe he isn't. Maybe the vision means something useful or maybe it doesn't. I do recall the Serpent himself did say at the time that the area around Noah was harder to read, that his vision would only be what happens if we leave Noah behind. A possible future, not the only one, at least according to the Prophet. Whether we can take that at face value I do not know."

"And for the record," he adds with a glance at Lette in particular, "Would the future determining itself be any less absurd than everything else that has happened? The world seems to have a predisposition towards absurdity if the last fortnight or so is an indication." Martin shrugs, evidently completely serious. "That does not change what we need to do, of course. I certainly won't let things not making sense get in the way of trying to do the right thing. But it would be folly to discount a possibility merely because it seems ludicrous. In fact, given some of what has happened to us in dreams, sometimes accepting that is the best way forward."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette shrugs as Martin proposes self-propagating absurdity as a point of fact. "Paradox on that scale is beyond me. I guess as long as nobody here is their own grandparent, I'll content myself not to dwell on it."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

Intensive dreams--they'd grown increasingly common and stars knew they were anything but restful. Still endeavoring to chase the grogginess from her system, the centaur takes another prolonged pull of cool water from a skin before knuckling at her eyes--peering from Lo'el to the others and back again as the others recount their own respective dreams. "The serpent again." She murmurs hoarsely before clearing her throat a touch; she was... not especially fond of the 'god', his preferred avatar only a portion of her contention. Stars knew, the tenacity with which 'prophecies' were pursued could be the ruin of kingdoms...

"I dreamt as well," she offers, unsurprising to her fellows she did not doubt, "as you say, Baron, serving in your charge." She looks to Isit, offering a wan smile. "I dreamt of your daughter as well." Eyes gleaming faintly, Asha straightens then and looses a slow, terse breath. "There were refugees, a great incident with Noah--as you all seem to have gleaned as well. Bandits and brigands, which I dispatched--but a messenger with... unusual features." She pauses, a flank twitching instinctively as she stamps a hoof. "...this messenger insisted a portent of dire importance for you." She looks pointedly to Martin with this. "Regrettably, I did not ascertain its contents."

With a wearisome sigh, Asha helps herself to another long draw of water before rolling her shoulders stiffly. "I expect it is most important that we determine precisely what is going on with Lord Roland and Noah, now. We've made our efforts at negotiations and arrangements, but my feeling is that the unseen will undermine any further progress we may hope to achieve in that regard; on its face, diplomacy seems... fruitless, at this point. Instead, it may serve us most ably if we can root out who or what is pulling strings and maneuvering events--as well as what... malady?" She frowns, brow furrowing. "What affects Lord Roland himself." Her lips press thin.

"I do not enjoy all this... subterfuge."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He finishes the last of this most recent portion of food whilst listening to the others, nodding along to the centaur to his side as she speaks. "Sounds as if you had a more physically thrilling dream then the rest of us." Thankfully, her time there does not sound too distressing -at least, it must not from the battle-hardened knight's perspective- and she had gained a fond look at life with their wedded companions, which is more then he can hope to say. "A shame if you learned nothing of this message, but I shall wager it will come to mean nothing if we might somehow change our future paths and that of greater events.

"Oh, and trust me," he says in reply to the last statement she makes. "You are not the only one who does not like how most of this all is. If only life could be a bit more simple, hmm?"

Standing then, as his meal is finished, the faun sets about gathering his things onto his nearby steed, even if his stomach might protest to just one more serving. Although, he reminds himself that there is always a chance for more sneaky handfuls when he gets in the saddle. Or perhaps a walk through the swamp on hoof is best to better burn it all off. Either way, it is no doubt time to see about moving on again, for there is little more reason to delay themselves.

"Well then, shall we finally see to our most immediate task of making our way through this swamp and greeting Miss Lahti under better circumstances?"

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 30, 2013

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Probably for the best not to dwell on it, indeed," comes his reply to Lette with a shrug. Asha's words quickly draw his attention though, and Martin listens intently, fingers drumming absently on his opposite arm, an uneven rhythm to an unknown tune. "A messenger, Dame Asha?" He seems to visibly consider this. "Well, do not feel too bad about not knowing what it was about. It may have been of use in the dream - in that future - but perhaps not here and now."

"I certainly agree on one thing," Martin adds. "Lord Roland's condition matters a lot. Perhaps as much or more than any other factor for determining our next moves. We need to carry our news back to Noah at any rate, and once there we can assess his condition, and what can be done about everything."

Having said that, the Baron nods to Lo'el. "Yes, let's be on with it, and keep a good pace. The quicker we return to Noah, the more time we have. And the more comfortable we'll all be, at that."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
With the discussion largely wrapped up inconclusive, and without sound and certain conclusions for the snake's motives, dawn comes with less surety but at least with confirmed purpose. The party is, in fact, on the cusp of the swamp; not far from where the mud becomes truly ornerous, but without a good road nearby. The sight of the boundary of the swamp leads Lette's senses to twinge and ache, fresh familiarity finding fair heart anew; with the fae's aid, the party circles around the swamp and easily finds the road they'd come in on, albeit slightly overgrown by vines and mostly obscured by the rampant growth Acanthi had exhibited days ago. On passing the boundary, she can feel familiar minds burgeoning alongside her one. Acanthi's is still half formed, juvenile, but considerably more aware of itself than it had been days ago- and Lette's newest 'sister' appears to have found some kind of balance that she'd been direly lacking when they last parted. Quick mental messages are exchanged, a place to meet agreed on not too far through the swamp- and sure enough, as soon as Lette finishes, the path seems to... solidify in front of them, vines kinked just the right way to show where hard dirt turns to mud. And there's a conspicuous absence of bugs, all the way through.

When it comes, Lette's sister stages an appropriately dramatic entrance; a giant frog, hopping from absurdly tiny lily pad to absurdly tiny lily pad without any apparent sinking. She skids to a halt in the path ahead of the party, legs curled loosely around the mammoth amphibian's greenish, pebbled skin and arms in the air and empty; she's mostly nude, with just some stray vines curling strategically around her body. Where once her eyes burned with some fanatic rage, there's... calm in them now. "Sister," she calls, warmly. "And your friends, of course. Welcome back."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Oh, no. Nuh-uh. I didn't go my whole life wanting a sister just to put up with this no-hug-having nonsense," Lette calls back, pouncing up the frog to greet the druid in her customary fashion. "Hi, Lahti!"

Grinning madly, she slides back down the frog's side, a glimmer of recognition crossing her features. "Oh, Oulu. Good to see you, too. Proper introductions are in order: Lahti, Oulu, meet Isit, Martin, Dolan, Asha and Lo'el."

She glances around, then faces her friends. "And this," she says, gesturing expansively, "is Acanthi. Say hello, Acanthi!"

To her cousins, she gives an apologetic shrug. "Um, so, about the way this family tree is developing... sorry for any confusion," she says, waiting to hear back from the swamp itself.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 1, 2013

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Surprised, Lahti greets her wayward sister with a big hug, grinning cheerfully- as Lette considerately avoids stepping on the big frog's eyeball, Oulu croaks in cheerful recognition and considerately does not open a mouth that certainly seems larger than it used to. The swamp rumbles, with a small vibration as though it were a baby earthquake, when Lette prompts it, and Lahti speaks up. "Hello! I think before we start, I should apologize for my earlier behavior I was-" she shoots Lette a sideways look, pauses for a long awkward second, and finishes, "-out of balance."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf looks her new "cousin" over, considering her options. Lahti had been mad- true believer mad, and that sat poorly with her. Course, those were usually the most prone to dying stupid. She had known a few like that. Smiling, she nods at the woman. "Well, I suppose if you are in balance, and a relative to boot, then I can forgive..... Don't suppose you can grow me some kaht as an apology?” Isit laughs, but is three fourths serious. "Nice, um, swamp?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Good to meet again under...better circumstances," Martin allows, arms crossed, a thin smile on his face. Well, he could be a forgiving sort, even though Lahti had threatened his only living family, for one of that same family vouched for her now. And if that same family was correct...Lahti herself was family now, too. Sort of. Gods above, this is complicated. Despite his consideration of the topic, Lette's comment about the family tree, as well as Isit's comment about relatives, both go unanswered out loud, even if the others probably had some idea by now; the Baron was not going to clarify further if there was a lack of certainty there. After all, he'd made promises.

He dismounts, letting his heels dig into the path a bit - though with his boots on, it lacked the impact, the sense of well-being given by his momentary connection with this place not present without more direct contact. "For my part, apology accepted. I understand what it like to be attached to...places, ideas, that sort of thing. And I understand why this place in particular, I think." His smile widens afterwards. "Though if there was some way to fulfill the Lady Isit's request also..."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette giggles at the swamp's response. "Cutie pie."

She listens to Lahti's apology in sober silence. "Whole world is out of balance, these days. You were able to rise above it," she says, beaming at her sister. "I can only speak for myself, but there's no apology needed."

Isit's compliment gets her attention. "Yep! But Acanthi is more than a swamp; he's himself. He can think, act, and even speak to you if you open your mind. And he's also- um, I mean, you saw it happen from a distance. What our song did. So he's also... of us," she says, leaning slightly towards Lahti. "So he's your cousin, too, really. Um, once removed, if that's how it even works." She shrugs. It's as good an explanation as she can manage.

As she turns, her eyes linger for a split second on Lo'el. Unbidden, a thought pops up wondering how this revelation might relate to that of their conversation yesterday. She quickly pushes it from her mind. "Dolan, you can feel the difference, right?"

Turning back to Lahti, she smirks and tilts her head in Martin's direction. "Clearly a relative; he's even got Acanthi's eyes. See?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 1, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

With the swamp all but promised to be presenting less danger toward them this time around, the faun relaxes a little more during the ride, taking in the scenery as they move now that he is not keeping such a strict eye out for hidden faces amongst the wildlife. Although he still has to release a hand from the reins to cover his nose more then once as the unwelcome smell of the place kicks up, so he cannot say the ride is all that enjoyable. A drat sight better then it had been the last time though, that is for certain.

As Lahti makes her grand entrance, he finds his attention fixed more on the beast that she rides. Peering up to look behind her and the frog, he confirms that the lily pads really are as small as he had thought and the place was not playing tricks with his eyes again.
He then slips from his horse and brings his hands together in greeting as Lette makes introductions. "Think nothing of it," he says to the lady of the swamp as she offers her apology. "The past is past, as they say. It is a blessing to be here as allies rather then how we had been before."
The words of sincerity, combined with Lette's reaction to meeting Lahti, make the differences between now and their previous visit all the more clear. How Lette managed all this is something he may never fully understand. Most impressive indeed.

He expects little reaction at first from the swamp as Lette continues to name it and coax a greeting of sorts from it, which leads to a more wide-eyed reaction as the whole place rumbles around and beneath him. Letting go of Dolan's arm -that he must have grabbed in his brief moment of panic-, he composes himself, avoids the dwarf's eyes and stares around at this Acanthi. "A..umm...pleasure, Acanthi."

Further revelations about the swamp and Lahti earn a surprised look along with a smile of both happiness and slight amusement. "Not only the lady of the swamp, but the swamp itself for a new cousin?" He looks sideways at Martin and Isit, smirk growing despite himself. "Congratulations. Also, I would very much like to be present when you explain all this to your future children."

Gods, but he is glad not to be a part of this increasingly complicated family tree of theirs.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"I suppose I am quite lucky that this is all that happened," Martin says, indicating his eyes. Although that's not quite true, is it? But until he understood exactly what it was that had happened - whether it was only in his mind or not - perhaps it was better to say nothing, still. At least one other secret was for sure partially out of the bag; Lo'el certainly seemed to know, now, and on reflection, Isit seemed less willing to hide it than she had been anyway. At any rate it was unlikely to be a problem, so long as it didn't get spread around to the various factions who might think less well of working with the fae.

Regardless, he nods to Lette's explanation, and to Lo'el he offers a verbal riposte. "You had better be there," Martin says with a slight chuckle at the faun's expense. "I seem to recall having a position at court for you, so if you aren't there, that would make you a deserter, I think."

That line of thought gets replaced with another. He had sworn he could, when his mind had been invaded by the swamp, and when he had prayed at the horde's camp, feel the greenery around him. Perhaps this was the time and place to see if it was his own mind playing tricks, or if it was something more. Martin presumed it was safer to do so here than elsewhere - after all, if the swamp is part of the family...

Might as well see what Acanthi thinks of us, and try out Plant Empathy for the first time. IQ 12, +1 if Green Thumb helps for that particular roll.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Lahti looks at Isit with a quizzical look. "If I already had some, I could make it grow faster. Can't create plants out of nowhere, I don't think I have any though. Sorry." When Martin speaks up, the swamp woman focuses on him and seemingly reads off the back of his head before raising her eyebrows. "Oh! I remember- you tried to contact us at exactly the wrong time! Did it... were there any lasting effects?" She bites her lip, and as Martin reaches out, he can sense... being inside a plant. As Lette had once, now Martin can sense how the swamp is closer to a single being than a collection of them and how the air is practically dripping with magic as well as the humidity- though not being a mage himself, the glimpse of magic is barely understood. Lahti keeps looking at him, smiling just a little- and now he can see how the woman is tied into the swamp around her, part of the whole rather than a person on her own anymore. Both she and the swamp seem... content, more or less. With everyone. The family discussions go on, and Lahti holds her peace; when those dial down, she adds, "So, I assume you're looking to get through here as quickly as possible?" with only a tiny tinge of sadness in her voice.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The path through the swamp is at least a bit better than the last time they had come through here. Water recedes and insects vacate as they pass, leaving a relatively comfortable journey, at least as much as it could be in a muggy swamp. Still, he had no right to complain.

The arrival of the druid and Lette's explanation as to the nature of Acanthi draws a raised eyebrow from the dwarf. He could contact the swamp, should he wish to? That sounded, least of all, unwise. As far as he could tell, the swamp was still acting as a Source, with fate cold only guess what properties. Opening himself to it could cause complications. That Martin now held a special connection to the swamp prompts the dwarf to clear his throat. "That was my doing. When I felt what was going on back here, I felt it would be best to try to convince the lass to stop. We -- I -- had no idea what would happen with that much power in one place. I'm pleased that it all turned out so well."

At the notion of passing through quickly, he nods. "Quicker than the army that is outside, at the very least. It's nothing personal, but we do have information that needs to make it south."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She sighs. "Of course. I only have a few dried kaht bits in my pouch. I'm guessing that's too little, but it was worth a try, right? Anyways, it's a lovely swamp you have here. Nice, um, toad." Isit hopes Larisa is well hidden. She really hated amphibians. Dolan gets a curious glance. "Yeah, magic seemed too backfire quite a lot, doesn't it? Almost not worth bothering with."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Aside from my eyes turning this lovely green?" Martin responds with the requisite polite good cheer, but inside, his mind reels with the new senses once again. It wasn't just in my head, he realizes. The grass, brush, and trees - the swamp itself, and its protector - he can sense it all, and the links between them, though the subtleties of the magic involved are utterly lost on him. If there is any tell, it is his eyes widening just slightly.

He is silent for a brief moment, struggling inwardly with the concept of what had happened, what had been done. Surely now that he knew it wasn't just the lingering aftereffects of the link, but also something he could see after a fashion...he could not be entirely silent on the subject anymore, now could he? "...come to think of it, I am noticing some things I have not before," he allows finally, sounding a bit tentative. Not that there was any shortage of strangeness amongst the rest of his compatriots, but this was a less easily explainable sort, wasn't it? "Some sense of the greenery, of this place also. I thought before maybe it was just a sort of lingering feeling after what happened, so I didn't think it important, but it seems like I can...focus on it, in a sense. To listen and see." A pause. "Also, the sun tends to feel a little nicer than it used to, if that makes any sense. It is a bit strange."

He looks to the others - Lette, Dolan, and Isit in particular. "Is it magic? Is this what it's like for you? It's a bit disorienting, this. Though perhaps it may yet prove some worth. No way of knowing."

At Dolan's last comment, Martin nods. "I imagine we'll be back this way sometime, but for the time being...there is much work to do, sadly."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan shrugs. "It might be. Everyone experiences it differently."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Unfortunately yes," she replies to the druid, echoing that same sad note. "You know what's at stake. But once things calm down a little, just watch — you'll probably get tired of seeing me."

Lette nods at Martin, vines and leaves bobbing in her hair. "I should hope it makes sense to me! But Dolan's right. I normally sense magic as melodies, sometimes colors. But my connection here is also a bit like what you're saying."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit shrugs "None of that makes sense to me. I just swear quietly at my weapons and they glow." Martin gets a worried stare. "You can do a mind thingy with plants now? That's slightly worrying. Maybe useful, but slightly worrying."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

Martin nods to Lette and Dolan both. "How fascinating. We may need to talk more about it later." To Isit's statement he offers the slightest of grimaces. "A little bit, yes," agrees Martin. "Strange more than anything though, from where I am standing."

He pauses then, looking at those assembled. "Though I suppose we all have our share of that," he says with a slight smirk. "Anyway, if it gets much stranger I will make sure it is known. Especially to you, dear; we're in this together regardless," he adds with a look at his wife. "So long as there aren't outward changes aside from the eyes I won't worry much, though. And it could be useful at any rate. Perhaps once we're out of this place and somewhere your medicine of choice exists in the wild, I can figure out how to find what you're looking for." He laughs at that. "Anyway, perhaps we should be off?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Lahti looks Dolan up and down, and her eyes narrow for just an instant. It passes, and she gives the dwarf a slight grin. "I didn't think that Martin had been able to make contact on his own. That's one mystery solved at least. And there's an army outside the swamp? Are they chasing you?" She leans forward, and Oulu contributes a deep, unsettling croak- at the sound, Isit can feel Larisa twitch in fear buried somewhere in the elf's pack, well concealed. "I think I remember how the sun used to feel," she comments as she turns to Martin. "This is better. I mean, assuming it's the same kind of... thing. It's just- it's where everything comes from, you know? I can't even imagine not feeling good when it's shining. It's-" she visibly struggles for a word, then settles for, "-really nice." Fidgeting on top of her toad, she puts on a little smile that doesn't reach her eyes as he discussion peters out. "I... suppose I'll just keep making sure the path in front of you's easy to follow, and the path behind not, then."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Not yet," Dolan says about the army. "They are here for Noah and the freehold to the east, to conquer or absorb. We were trying to negotiate a peaceful solution. You should know that they were unnerved by the sudden expansion of this place, thinking it was our doing, but I don't think they have hostile intentions towards you. Yet. I fear that once they find out this place serves as a Source they may be more inclined to make use of it. They also know of Acanthi's sentience."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Well, not chased, no; they're going around, far as I know. They recognize that diplomats aren't for decorating pikes. But war remains a possibility, so haste is still due."

She gives Dolan a cockeyed look. "Do you think they can puzzle that out? I said nothing of his nature; merely that the area should be left alone, being a sacred place — and a dangerous one, if threatened. If they think the costs too great, they won't chance finding out. Especially if they're expecting a fight on the other side, too." However, if the queen has any wish to sour Lette's generally positive opinion of her, barreling right through Acanthi is the surest way to go about it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"I don't know if it's the same kind of thing, but I think I understand what you mean," Martin says with a slow nod towards Lahti.

As Dolan and Lette discuss the swamp and the army's intentions, the Baron quickly pipes up. "It is a tricky situation. One might parse the Queen's talk of being blocked as an indication that she'll simply take the long route and go 'round. She certainly seems to believe her victory is inevitable, so why not take time and progress without wasting lives? But then, she's a headstrong sort..." He trails off and shakes his head. "Perhaps hiding evidence of our passage - or at least making it impossible for us to be followed - wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. And it might be best to keep an eye on the army in whatever manner is possible, in case the horde decides to do something rash."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun finds himself falling out of the loop of the conversation as it turns to talk of magic and further speculation on what the Queen may or may not decide to do. Not having much to add in his own words that the others do not already mention themselves, he simply keeps quiet and admires the strange sights of the swamp around them. The large frog still keeps his attention the longest though; such a strange and interesting thing it is. Thank the gods -or, more rightly, Lette- that the inhabitants of this place have adopted a more friendly perspective towards them all.

"If it is possible for you to keep us informed on the Queen's movements near your marvelous home here," he says to Lahti as the others talk amongst themselves. "Please do let us know. With any luck, she will truly decide to pass around it instead. Given the way things are between us now, I would not wish for her army to harm your home, as it will likely do if she marches through it." Armies need fire after all and with this swamp being alive, he does not want to imagine what it may feel if the Queen's soldiers take an axe to it's trees.

"It would be a pleasure to stay and talk further, but as said before, we are still very much in an unfortunate hurry. Perhaps soon enough we will have time to return to talk and better admire this wonderful place." Once again, he smiles and bows slightly, his hands clasped together. "It has been a great blessing to meet with you under better circumstances, Miss Lahti. Thank you for the kindness you have shown us and the aid you provide. If there is anything we may do for you, please let us know. Hopefully it will not be long at all before we all set eyes on you once more."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She waves a hand. "Bah. Maybe just grow some poison ivy in trails. Won't delay them, just annoy them. Its a right bitch to fight with a rash that bad. poo poo, battle of the Grey Marsh, we all had a nasty one across the face on account of the crawling. And it'd be funny." Grinning, she peers at Lahti. "If we can't gently caress with the powerful, what joy in life do we have?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Lahti listens to Dolan with thin lips- pressed together, they reveal a faint green tinge. "They know too much, then. I'm not ready to pick a... war, with an entire army." She swallows, and Oulu croaks. "Not yet, anyway. So I must simply-" she nods at Lette, "-persuade scouts that this isn't a good place to go through. Sickness, I think. Giant animals could just draw them as a good conquest. Poison ivy perhaps may help, but... have you ever smelled the flowers that reek like a dying corpse?" Lahti studies her nails, and adds, "I imagine I can find a few of those around the swamp." She grins, impishly, and the swamp very faintly rumbles underneath them all- and Lo'el is suddenly queasily aware that the swamp's pain wouldn't be the worst pain felt if anyone was stupid enough to try to begin clear-cutting this place. Lahti waves off Isit and Lo'el's thanks. "Least I can do, in the circumstances. Have a safe trip, and I do hope it all works out."

With the parlay safely concluded, the party begins going on its way once more- Lahti stays in the path watching them go, a mite awkwardly, but there's no help for it. The enlarged scale of the swamp becomes readily apparent as well, with mile after mile falling away with little change in the scenery- whether it had expanded in all directions was rapidly becoming a very good question without an answer. At least Lette and Martin don't seem to be getting as tired as they should, even if others are as the day continues without great interruption. As the sun begins to hit the horizon, Larisa- speaking from Isit's pack, not having dared poke her head out yet, speaks up. "I'd... rather not try to sleep here again, if it's all the same to you lot. The edge of the swamp can't be that far away, and the trail's been pretty easy to follow... right?"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The dwarf nods. "I agree. I say we keep moving until we can't see anymore. The more distance we make, the more time ahead of the army's arrival we have to plan."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

Martin, for his part, also nods in affirmation. "It may well be good to camp within sight of the swamp at least, in case of anything unforeseen," he cautions with a slight wag of one extended finger, "but I agree. If there is a time for a little forced march, now may well be it - and unlike last night, we have a bit more assurance regarding the path, and we can risk some small amount of light until we reach the edge." Curiously, the Baron seemed rather chipper and energetic even after a day's travel. Or at least, he wasn't exhausted just yet, which was much the same. "For that matter, it may also mean one less night in the field if we put in extra time now."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf shoos away a large, and perhaps venomous dragonfly. "Agreed. Let's get to the outskirts before we sleep. I don't fancy getting eaten alive. I can't imagine Lahti or Lette can charm a mosquito swarm." Martin gets a perturbed look. "You are unfairly energetic. For shame."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

He looks slightly unsure how to respond, in part because Martin is not quite sure himself as to why he feels so motivated and animated at the moment. Finally he settles on: "Well, my lady, I'm sorry to upset you by still being spry at this hour, and if I knew the secret, I'd share that with you. Alas, I do not, and it may well take quite a bit of wine to slow me down and avoid unfairness." He smirks. "A rather pleasant remedy, I suppose."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Alright. Bye, Lahti. See you again soon!" One more rib-cruncher of a hug later, they're off.

Lette falls silent for much of the hike that follows, perhaps meditating, or otherwise contemplating their surroundings.

Larisa's input garners a shrug. "I'm fine going as far as we can, even into the night. No place is absolutely safe, but this comes close." However, she also understands Larisa's difficulty believing this. "Might also be wise to sleep on this side, but I'll understand if everyone would rather find someplace less damp."

She grins at Isit. "How many mosquito bites have you gotten so far?" She throws her cloak over her shoulder, leaving her arms fully exposed. "They're part of Acanthi, too. No charming needed. Anyway, if I can get some kaht seeds, you'll probably want a summer home here before too long. You can raise baby gators and everything."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I could use some wine too. To help with the march." Her ears twitch. Mosquitoes. She couldn't see them, but certainly could hear them. "Hrmph. I suppose I could overlook alligators if kaht grew here. But just barely."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Maybe not in the swamp proper, but either way close to it if we can, Lette. Since you are right that we are safer this time than the last time. You did well on that front." A shrug, though he smiles slightly as he does. "I just hope that we can make Noah by nightfall tomorrow. Could happen with how much farther south the swamp's edge likely is, but time's much of the essence here.

As he speaks, Martin nudges his horse closer to Fenton, and the precious cargo carried on the beast of burden's back. He glares at the odds and ends stowed thereby - most of them purchased that same day they returned to Noah to find the aftermath of the Eagles' attack. Despite the things they hadn't had then, there'd been plenty of wine, and there was still at least some left. Quickly enough he snatches it up, and passes it off to the Baroness Isit. "This'll have to do, then. Ladies first. Though I'll be a mite disappointed if there's none left for me."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun keeps himself silent for most of the ride, as he can now take the time to better view this magical swamp without feeling the need to remain alert for potential threats. He speaks up briefly, simply to add his agreement to continue on until the day's light is completely gone and they are past the point of which they can safely have a torch lit to guide the way. With the need to bring their news to Noah as quickly as possible, it only makes sense to keep marching until fatigue or complete lack of light keeps them from moving any further. Besides, if Larisa was uncomfortable sleeping here, it would only be cruel to deny her wish when it can so easily be granted. Surely the swamp's edge cannot be too much further, unless it truly grew further then he thinks.

He throws his cloak back on to better keep his upper body warm when the night's chill comes. Thankfully his fur always does a more then admirable job of keeping his lower half warm at all times. Such a shame that many of his other companions have to rely on these trousers, socks and boots to do that for them. Why most women of other races shave off the hair that keeps their legs warm, he will never know. Yet another oddity of this different land.

Asha is passed an apple, along with the offer for the faun to carry any equipment the good knight finds herself burdened with. Such is a squire's duty after all, or so the books he has read on the subject have told him. He finds himself thinking of wearing armour like hers one day, with a few changes due to the differences in their physiques of course. It does not take long of thinking on it for a smile to spring to his face. What an honour it will be.

He falls back to his silence as the ride continues for now, his eyes gazing out into their surroundings and his mind on tourneys and other knightly activities. The only noise he makes is his mouth soon working at an apple of his own.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

With a furtive glance at Lo'el, Lette politely declines the wine.

Slowing her pace, she allows the other mounts to pass hers until she evens out with the dwarf. She'd been waiting to pick his brain for days. "So, what do you think? You've mentioned 'Sources' a few times, but... have you ever seen his like before?" She smiles, watching a brightly plumed bird alight on a branch.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan follows Lette's gaze towards the bird, wondering if she might try again to control the beast without any magical input. "Never. Remember when I said that magic was like an ocean? In reality, it's more like a tiny stream of meltwater flowing down a rock. When you tap into it, you gather a few drops and bend them to your will. A source is like a spring. You can grab buckets of it effortlessly. Even dipping your hand in it, you'll come away with more power than you would ever get trying to Channel normally.

"But an intelligent Source? I read once that intelligence was theoretically possible, always rumor, never evidence -- the usual. Sources aren't well understood, just because they're so uncommon. Everything we thought we know could probably be thrown out anyway, since everything is different now. I know Iklist and the other dream spirits like her have a connection to magic, somehow. Maybe one found this Source and burrowed into it, became the swamp."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I remember the ocean analogy," she says, grinning. It feels like years had passed since their brief discussion beside the cart. "And about how the runes are, the 'changing the rules' thing you said. That's something I've been meaning to ask — since I've gotten better at seeing and hearing magic, I've noticed that you're... different. I mean, I can't really sense you working yours. It tends to resound more after the fact, and even then it's bound up more in the rune than you. Is that how all runepriests are?"

Lette purses her lips, considering his theory. "He couldn't really 'think,' before. It was more of a ponderous 'intent' one way or another, not so much with reasoning. Then we played that song. He grew, sure — you saw that part clearer than most — but we also kind of... put a bit of ourselves into him. Is that, um, what happened with Iklist?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

He nods. "That's right. Runepriests are all like I am, in that regard. What we do isn't actually magic, we just use magical forces. My people discovered a long time ago that there are ways to manipulate them -- and other things. Water is made of air, did you know that? -- many ways to manipulate them without having that power within. It takes many, many years to learn, though. And a deft hand."

He thinks for a moment. "When she first came to me, she could not communicate, except in vague impressions and images. Over time, I think she learned from watching me, and also from my use of runes. I believe it did strengthen our bond, yes."

• Locked thread