Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

kuddles posted:

I find it weird that everyone is focused on Portia's rather minor botox treatment when I'm mostly distracted by how fat David Cross is now.

He got married and supposedly stopped doing drugs, it makes sense :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

End of Watch was a good movie. It was just novel enough to feel unpredictable.
Did anybody else hate Taylor? I was honestly disappointed at the reveal that he lived and Z died. And kudos to the film for making good (not-cheap) use of red herrings.

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I don't know, it was surprisingly comprehensible, I was really shocked that Uwe Boll was behind it.

I also found it really unconventional and nihilistic. The problem I had though was interpreting if it was truly nihilistic and had a message in there or was more about pushing buttons, which he seems to like to do just for the sake of doing it. I wasn't able to separate the director and the movie well enough to make a good judgement on that.

I think you've nailed exactly why I dislike this movie. I did not know it was directed by Uwe Boll going into it, so that wasn't a factor. The film is the impotent rage of a homicidal sociopath turned into a hero's journey. The few moments where the direction is well executed only emphasis the fact that we're supposed to relate and, I would argue, not only relate, but admire this horrible human being for accomplishing what he does. It's Falling Down without the commentary. It's Fight Club without the satire. I can't think of a film in recent memory that disgusted me more than this. It's a celebration of nihilism, and I guess that just rubs me the wrong way.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I just wish Odenkirk was in more stuff, generally. I always fealt he was the far more talented member of his duo with Cross.
My guess is he has self-esteem issues and also is kind of a family man. When you listen to the Mr. Show commentaries or any interview with Odenkirk, the two things that he brings up constantly is his lack of desire of going on the road away from his children or criticizing his on-camera performances as not being good enough.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Odenkirk has a major role in a popular tv show right now, with talks of a possible spin-off for his character when the show ends. So it's not like his career is doing badly right now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Yea, Odenkirk may not be a leading man, but he is one of those actors who has a role in almost everything. He is definitely doing just fine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

maxnmona posted:

Odenkirk has a major role in a popular tv show right now, with talks of a possible spin-off for his character when the show ends.

How have I not heard of this? That's... well I'm torn between thinking it's a great idea and a terrible idea.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Tewratomeh posted:

How have I not heard of this? That's... well I'm torn between thinking it's a great idea and a terrible idea.

Vince Gilligan has been talking about it pretty openly for a year or two, saying that he's not guaranteeing anything, but it's what he'd like to do next. Here's a recent example: http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/vince-gilligan-on-breaking-bad.html

quote:

With Breaking Bad nearly over, what will you do next? How serious is the talk about a Saul Goodman spinoff series?

We’re in early discussions for a spinoff. In my dream version of it, I would help create the pilot and arc out the first season and then basically transition away and let Peter Gould, who created the character, run it.

What would the tone be?

We’re still trying to figure out whether it’s a half-hour or an hour. It’s lighter than Breaking Bad, but it’s not a sitcom. I have a hard time with most modern sitcoms because the structure is so self-limiting. You have to have a laugh every eleven seconds, which is so artificial. It’s like Kabuki theater. It’s so unrealistic to me. Not to cast aspersions toward an entire art form, I just have a hard time relating to sitcoms, except for older ones like All in the Family, which were leavened with plenty of drama.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

maxnmona posted:

Vince Gilligan has been talking about it pretty openly for a year or two, saying that he's not guaranteeing anything, but it's what he'd like to do next. Here's a recent example: http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/vince-gilligan-on-breaking-bad.html

A Vince Gilligan-produced spinoff starring a comic-relief character from another, more popular dramatic series could never fail!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I recently bought The Lone Gunmen DVD set for cheap, and was surprised to see that it was okay. Not great, by any stretch, but dumb fun. That X-File episode meant to close off the series, however, was awful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

I think you've nailed exactly why I dislike this movie. I did not know it was directed by Uwe Boll going into it, so that wasn't a factor. The film is the impotent rage of a homicidal sociopath turned into a hero's journey. The few moments where the direction is well executed only emphasis the fact that we're supposed to relate and, I would argue, not only relate, but admire this horrible human being for accomplishing what he does. It's Falling Down without the commentary. It's Fight Club without the satire. I can't think of a film in recent memory that disgusted me more than this. It's a celebration of nihilism, and I guess that just rubs me the wrong way.

While I see your point, I still think it's a worthwhile film. The bingo hall scene is one of the most tense things I've ever seen. And honestly, I don't think it's as without commentary as you say - I just think the commentary is aimed in a totally different direction. It's been a while since I saw it, but what I took away from it was a criticism of America, and not that we were supposed to relate to the protagonist, but only that we were to understand that possibly he was the extreme end result of white American privilege. Which, I guess, means I'm arguing that it does have the commentary of Falling Down, but it's not as blatant (or Boll wasn't as skillful in putting it forth).

I believe the film was entirely ad-libbed, as well.

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

precision posted:

While I see your point, I still think it's a worthwhile film. The bingo hall scene is one of the most tense things I've ever seen. And honestly, I don't think it's as without commentary as you say - I just think the commentary is aimed in a totally different direction. It's been a while since I saw it, but what I took away from it was a criticism of America, and not that we were supposed to relate to the protagonist, but only that we were to understand that possibly he was the extreme end result of white American privilege. Which, I guess, means I'm arguing that it does have the commentary of Falling Down, but it's not as blatant (or Boll wasn't as skillful in putting it forth).

I believe the film was entirely ad-libbed, as well.

Fair enough. I suppose it's the just overall tone of the film being so balls-out, gently caress yeah that really kills it. The protagonist murders people for trivial slights, greed, and, in the case of the salon scene, just for the hell of it. The bingo hall scene was particularly problematic for me because the commentary it's going for is coming from this psychopath. Not to be glib, but all I could hear in my head during entire sequence was "these plebs aren't even worth my precious bullets because they're already dead cogs in a useless system." The fact that he faces absolutely no consequences for any of his actions is also troubling. Unlike something like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Rampage elevates a broken individual to almost superhero status. The final shot of his smug face just seals it.

This has been a pretty divisive film and, as much as I'm loathe to do so based on my initial reaction to it, I'll probably give it another look since I've heard a lot of intelligent criticism that is pretty different from my read of it.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I didn't enjoy the movie at all but I will say the salon scene is the only time I can recall movie violence getting to me. My wife works at a salon and I just had to turn it off and take a break from the movie after that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I didn't enjoy the movie at all but I will say the salon scene is the only time I can recall movie violence getting to me. My wife works at a salon and I just had to turn it off and take a break from the movie after that.

Wait, I did my best to push that movie out of my brain as soon as it was done, what happened in the salon scene?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

penismightier posted:

Wait, I did my best to push that movie out of my brain as soon as it was done, what happened in the salon scene?

Just youtubed the scene having never seen the film and he guns a dozen or so women down as they cower in fear.

Edit - It is a spoiler after all.

Flython fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 1, 2013

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I didn't enjoy the movie at all but I will say the salon scene is the only time I can recall movie violence getting to me.

Have to agree there. Uwe Boll is such a disgusting turd of a man. That scene serves absolutely no purpose than to be totally repulsive.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If I'm remembering right, it's especially weird because he came in and intimidated them, then walked out without killing them. After they thought they were safe he returned and opened fire.

We're already sort of openly talking about that scene anyway, but I spoiled that just in case.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If I'm remembering right, it's especially weird because he came in and intimidated them, then walked out without killing them. After they thought they were safe he returned and opened fire.

Oh I do remember that. Yo gently caress Rampage. I am flat out disgusted by that film.

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

We're already sort of openly talking about that scene anyway, but I spoiled that just in case.

What makes that scene even worse is how it's shot. It's a low angle shot placing the audience right alongside the victims as this towering figure empties a submachine gun into their faces. He's not firing directly into the screen, but it's pretty drat close. There's an aggressive attempt to equate the viewer as being part of whatever machine this dude is raging against. He's not the problem, you are, and if you weren't the way you are, then maybe none of this would have happened. The strange thing is, these people didn't do anything, so how does one reconcile that kind of indictment? Aside from a general feeling of disgust at the whole thing, I'm not even sure what to take away from whatever message is being presented. The really frightening thing is that I can't help but view the protagonist as an Uwe Boll self-insertion. Every bit of half-assed Ayn Rand via Tyler Durden piece of philosophy Mr. Rampage spouts sounds eerily like half of the interviews I've read from Boll.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Not quite. First he walked in and intimidated them as well as resting. Took off his helmet. Put it back on. Then walked out. While outside he remembered he was supposed to be disguised and by taking off his helmet for some reason he ruined his get away if he didn't kill them. :psyduck: So he returned and murdered them to ensure his escape.

Not quite sure why he would make such a trivial mistake in the middle of his massive loving murder spree, but... Uwe Boll.

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

not even sure what to take away from whatever message is being presented. The really frightening thing is that I can't help but view the protagonist as an Uwe Boll self-insertion. Every bit of half-assed Ayn Rand via Tyler Durden piece of philosophy Mr. Rampage spouts sounds eerily like half of the interviews I've read from Boll.

This was my problem. It really felt like the director empathized with the murderer. It wasn't like he was telling a story, it felt like he was fantasizing. I honestly felt like I was watching the impotent fantasies of every wannabe punk high schooler who ever dreamed of being a Nietzschean superman who shot up his school.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 1, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, he does have a reason for the salon scene, as dumb as it may seem to be.

I can't find it right now, but I read an interview where Boll said that the film was meant to convey how much he hates America. So I really don't think we're meant to sympathize with the protagonist, I think we're meant to think "poo poo, is this what we're like?"

e: After all, his best friend, the :tinfoil: kid ends up being right about everything, gets killed by the protagonist, and then his pinko "un-American" hippie dad at the end of the film is completely right in saying his son didn't do the rampage, but nobody listens to him and the cops drag him away. So, not very subtle, but... Uwe Boll.

precision fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 1, 2013

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I finally saw Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. I can't believe I waited so long to watch it. It is a very fun film and Forest Whitaker is fantastic, it also has an excellent soundtrack by RZA. It was nice to watch a black samurai film without feeling like I was watching an exploitation flick, everything was handled tastefully and with respect.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

So I really disliked Borat, and haven't seen Bruno, but beside my better judgment I started watching The Dictator today and had to turn it off after 20 minutes or so. Every character was extremely unlikeable and the humor was both bland and trying to be edgy for the sake of being edgy. Does the movie become a comedic masterpiece in the second act, or should I just not bother finishing it?

The sad part is that I really love Sacha Baron Cohen in pretty much all of his acting roles that don't involve him also being the writer.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 1, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MrGreenShirt posted:

So I really disliked Borat, and haven't seen Bruno, but beside my better judgment I started watching The Dictator today and had to turn it off after 20 minutes or so. Every character was extremely unlikeable and the humor was both bland and trying to be edgy for the sake of being edgy. Does the movie become a comedic masterpiece in the second act, or should I just not bother finishing it?

The sad part is that I really love Sacha Baron Cohen in pretty much all of his acting roles that don't involve him also being the writer.

Don't bother, I enjoyed it for what it was in the theater but judging by your reaction it won't get better for you

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So how is Rampage different from God Bless America ?

Disclaimer: I haven't seen either film, nor do I plan to, but have read all the spoilers in this thread and several reviews online, and am disgusted by the premise of both.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
God Bless America was a terrible, lovely movie but it was trying to be a comedy and the violence was done with a wink and a nod. Rampage is framed around a rant but there is no humor. There's barely any emotion at all once the killing starts. I think Boll watched security cam footage of real spree shooters and patterned it after that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrGreenShirt posted:

His wife also tries to keep Sacha Baron Cohen locked away in the house since he causes trouble in public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykDuFjs3H5A

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I just watched House at the End of the Street, and it was actually pretty good. I enjoyed that they unabashedly embraced some horror/suspense tropes, and did them well, but also flipping a lot of that poo poo on its head.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So how is Rampage different from God Bless America ?

Disclaimer: I haven't seen either film, nor do I plan to, but have read all the spoilers in this thread and several reviews online, and am disgusted by the premise of both.

When I watched God Bless America I felt like Goldthwait was mocking the impotent revenge fantasies of middle aged white men who whine about how things "used to be".

When I watched Rampage I felt like Uwe Boll was showing us how he would pull off this amazing massacre and outsmart all of us to get away with it because we are worms and he is a god who can take our lives without even flinching.

tl;dr There was a difference in tone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chichevache posted:

When I watched God Bless America I felt like Goldthwait was mocking the impotent revenge fantasies of middle aged white men who whine about how things "used to be".

God Bless America was pretty much badly executed black humor with over the top scenes such as a baby getting blown away by a shotgun and the typical railing against the shallow natures of pop culture.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

etalian posted:

God Bless America was pretty much badly executed black humor with over the top scenes such as a baby getting blown away by a shotgun and the typical railing against the shallow natures of pop culture.

When I watched it I felt like it was a little more intelligent than that. I didn't feel like the film was itself taking the piss out of pop culture and modern America. I came away from it feeling like the film was taking the piss out of the individual's who constantly complain about those things from their couch or computers. I'll have to watch it again (not excited about that) but I felt like there were some elements in the film that pointed me towards a reading that deflated the petty revenge fantasies of those who hate modern America, instead of a tongue in cheek praise of killing teenage girls who are spoiled.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really like Bobcat and really wanted to like GBA but I just couldn't find the satire. The tone was far too in love with it's characters and what they were saying for me to really read it as taking the piss out of them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

axleblaze posted:

I really like Bobcat and really wanted to like GBA but I just couldn't find the satire. The tone was far too in love with it's characters and what they were saying for me to really read it as taking the piss out of them.

Really? I felt like the characters were so pathetic and lame that there was no way the film could possibly respect them as individuals. Like I said earlier, I may have to rewatch it to remember why.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

For you fans of Rampage, just wait until you see Boll's Assault on Wall Street.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
God Bless America really rubbed me the wrong way. A lot of the positive reactions I've seen to the film are from people who identified with the main characters and interpreted it as a personal revenge fantasy. In that respect the movie's either a work of genius tearing apart the very people who love it, or it's a piece of garbage that invalidates its own message.

A part of me really wants to believe that it's a brilliant film, but when I read interviews with Goldthwait, like this one,

http://www.avclub.com/articles/god-bless-america-director-bobcat-goldthwait-is-ok,73578/

it seems clear to me that the director really connects with Frank at the beginning of the movie and that its core message relies on that connection existing until we slowly begin to witness Frank's own faults bubbling forth. This didn't work for me because I basically hated his character from the very beginning. To me, Frank was always a representation of the smug-as-poo poo, elitist attitude you see from people who think they're smarter and more mature than everyone else their age just because they like anime and fundamentally reject the idea of team sports.

Definitely open to someone trying to sway my opinion on this movie, but right now I'm really not convinced it's as smart as it thinks it is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
That's pretty much how I read the character of Frank from the beginning. I'm not sayings liked the movie or that it was intelligent, I just read it as a deflation of that type of spree killing fantasy.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is it possible that God Bless America just didn't have a lot of depth? The movie was a fairly simple story about an odd relationship. The spree killing almost made sense in the closely parallel world of the movie. The message wasn't life-affirming or nihilistic, I think the message was just kind of "Wow, life's weird." None of it required any moral judgment by the viewer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mescal posted:

Is it possible that God Bless America just didn't have a lot of depth?

That was what I took away from it. Not terrible, but I wouldn't really recommend it considering how many other things that are much better are on Netflix.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Conversation is back up. This time, I will watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

That was what I took away from it. Not terrible, but I wouldn't really recommend it considering how many other things that are much better are on Netflix.

I'd agree with this. The film is interesting, but I don't recommend it.

Better than Rampage though.

• Locked thread