Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You're thinking of the Shield; there was a subplot where an officer's ex wife and child were killed in a break in, and the whole force got together to help out. Turns out the cop had hired a gang member to do it, and it went further than the cop ever wanted. Dani tries to console him outside while he's in his squad car, but he kills himself.

I think it was S2 or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You're thinking of the Shield; there was a subplot where an officer's ex wife and child were killed in a break in, and the whole force got together to help out. Turns out the cop had hired a gang member to do it, and it went further than the cop ever wanted. Dani tries to console him outside while he's in his squad car, but he kills himself.

I think it was S2 or 3.

It was season 3. It was Julian's partner after Danny left the barn

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Starting "Postpartum" on my rewatch. I forgot how the montage at the end of "Of Mice and Lem" sneaks up on you.

:smith:

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

The Warszawa posted:

Starting "Postpartum" on my rewatch. I forgot how the montage at the end of "Of Mice and Lem" sneaks up on you.

:smith:

I heard "Disarm" by The Smashing Pumpkins at work today, and all the memories of that episode came flooding back. That song is so much better because of this show.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I want Michael Chiklis to play a cop again.

Except this time, in space.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Jingleheimer posted:

Get Michael Chiklis, Dean Norris, and Harvey Keitel together for a buddy cop show/movie IN SPACE, it can't not be good.

I think we've finally narrowed it down to perfection.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I'm not part of a viral campaign I swear but is anybody going to check out Pawn? Its got Forest Whitaker playing a cop and Michael Chiklis playing an ex-con with an accent I believe to be English (I think).

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I'm not part of a viral campaign I swear but is anybody going to check out Pawn? Its got Forest Whitaker playing a cop and Michael Chiklis playing an ex-con with an accent I believe to be English (I think).

Getting Michael Chiklis to do an English accent makes me think Ross Kemp should fire his agent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blue Screen Error posted:

Getting Michael Chiklis to do an English accent makes me think Ross Kemp should fire his agent.

It's not that bad, is it? I don't know, I speak Canadian.

Also, definitely going to watch that.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Oh poo poo. It's got Ray Liotta and Common to boot. I have to see this, even if it doesn't really look that good. And Chiklis' British accent seems a bit awkward. It's like Christian Bale disguising Bruce Wayne's voice as Batman, and sounding like an idiot in the process. Considering that is my only complaint about the Dark Knight series, it's not bad, but it's unnecessary.

Blue Screen Error posted:

I had to google this, but good call.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Back from Italy and already 5 episodes deep in season 6! I got a little too absorbed in the show to post about it as I go, but I just finished episode 5 and have to go to class and wanted to say how amazing Walton Goggins continues to be. His confession to Maura was superbly acted.

E: Man he is really killing it this season. S06E06 When Vic confronts him about killing Lem was also fantastic.

Also, it took me until he was addressed by name to recognize Ronnie after he shaved his beard.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 29, 2013

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Every time I watch the last few episodes of season 7, I catch myself wondering if Ronnie's deal is going to come through.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Just finished season six! Little bit of a bridge season, but still really well done. On to season seven! :dance:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just finished watching. That last episode is a punch in the gut.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

S07E07: I'm crying from laughter: "I see you're a married man. Is your wife pretty?" "Beautiful." "You mind if I take her to Vegas for a dirty weekend? Ride her rear end hard and put her away wet?" "...What?"

S07E08: God drat, Maura is laying down the law!

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 30, 2013

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I may have already said this in the thread but I've had Disarm come on the radio when I've been stuck in LA traffic and I honestly get chills. Also it's cool to see intersections and things from the show when I'm out and about.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Holy loving poo poo, S07E12 Olivia did NOT know what she was giving Vic when she gave him full immunity for EVERYTHING he confesses to.

e: oh my god, "Do you have any idea what you've done to me?" "I've done worse." :drat: :clint: :cry: :derp:

SERIES FINALE TIME!!!

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 31, 2013

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

e: oh my god, "Do you have any idea what you've done to me?" "I've done worse." :drat: :clint: :cry: :derp:

Just finished watching a couple days ago. That was a great line. He's so resigned and worn out from listing everything he's ever done that he just has nothing left at all for her. "I've done worse." The name of that episode was pretty great, too.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I need some time to digest it, but I'm pretty sure I just saw a series finale that was literally flawless.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I need some time to digest it, but I'm pretty sure I just saw a series finale that was literally flawless.

That was exactly how I felt, for every show that has ever been cancelled or signed off with a series finale I don't think I've ever been as satisfied as how the Shield ended. Maybe histroically MASH was at that level, but I obviously was too young to be emotionally involved as I was with the Shield. Six Feet Under was pretty good too but that was like a long fade instead of an exclamation point.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

It was without a doubt the best series finale I've ever seen. It was... masterful. Now that I've really thought about it, a great series finale that leaves me 100% satisfied is quite rare. Some of my favorite TV series' of all time had very mediocre series finales that left me either wanting more, or wishing the show would have ended two seasons ago. Lost, Seinfeld, and The X-Files come to mind in that category. The only finales I can really compare to The Shield finale are The Wire and Six Feet Under. Those are examples of how you should end a TV show.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's rare for sure. The Friday Night Lights finale is just as satisfying to me, though for almost completely different reasons.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Before theforced retirement subplot kicked in, I legitimately thought the series was going to end with Vic promoted to some deputy chief position, his crimes covered up, but extremely insulated from the street level. Basically like it did, but more cynical with regard to the LAPD.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's not just the finale, it's the fact that it keeps the quality up all the way through the whole series. The Wire finale was a fitting end for sure, but the last season definitely wasn't up to the standards of the rest. FNL is a good comparison, I think (although I guess you could argue that FNL got off to a stronger start).

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Just finished season 1 and I am really loving this show. I actually find all of the characters interesting or enjoyable to watch at the moment, which is pretty rare for a TV series. I'm sure that will change over time though. Also never thought that they would manage to make me root for Vic in any capacity whatsoever. I don't think I've ever wanted such a dubious character to come out on top.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

The Warszawa posted:

Before theforced retirement subplot kicked in, I legitimately thought the series was going to end with Vic promoted to some deputy chief position, his crimes covered up, but extremely insulated from the street level. Basically like it did, but more cynical with regard to the LAPD.

I use to think they were going to go with the Al Capone route, Vic gets for a relatively minor crime, or for something they didn't do.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

It's not just the finale, it's the fact that it keeps the quality up all the way through the whole series. The Wire finale was a fitting end for sure, but the last season definitely wasn't up to the standards of the rest. FNL is a good comparison, I think (although I guess you could argue that FNL got off to a stronger start).

This is very true. It starts out with a bang and keeps getting better and better right up until the end credits of the finale. Season 5 of The Wire, although still being great television, certainly wasn't up to par with the rest of the series. Although The Wire finale was one of the best, one of the reasons why it isn't as great as The Shield finale is because of this.

As for finale predictions: Up until around S7E10, I honestly thought they were going in the direction of Scarface. I thought to myself, that throughout the entire series, Vic Mackey has gotten out of every predicament in his life without dying or being arrested, so there is no way he won't end up dead or in Antoine Mitchell-ville. But I suppose I've watched too many crime movies, and somehow underestimated the writing prowess of Shawn Ryan and Co.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wish the FNL thread wasn't so dead. I don't get it, it's a great show but I guess goons don't want to talk about it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Conquistador posted:

I wish the FNL thread wasn't so dead. I don't get it, it's a great show but I guess goons don't want to talk about it.

There's not much to talk about. It sort of left it all out there on the field.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

tomapot posted:

That was exactly how I felt, for every show that has ever been cancelled or signed off with a series finale I don't think I've ever been as satisfied as how the Shield ended. Maybe histroically MASH was at that level, but I obviously was too young to be emotionally involved as I was with the Shield. Six Feet Under was pretty good too but that was like a long fade instead of an exclamation point.
I rewatched all of MASH last year for exactly the reason of being too young whenever I watched it with any frequency growing up. I remember catching a rerun of the finale in like 1988 or so and both my parents were teary-eyed and, being 8, I got that the ending had a number of sad parts but we'd seen sad bits on TV and movies before but that never upset my parents like that. Now I get it, their ending is a real doozy. Especially when you factor in that the finale has 250 episodes backing it up and that for its time it was a really progressive form of television. It's a lot to say goodbye to and they hit it out of the park. If you go through the whole show as an adult you probably won't ever be able to reflect back on the finale without running the risk of getting a little verklempt.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Still one of the greatest final scenes

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I hate to further derail the thread, but does anyone know of a good way to watch MASH (no :filez:)? I see it isn't on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon. I watched re-runs here and there when I was a kid, and even then I liked it but couldn't fully comprehend or appreciate it. I really need to check out Justified, FNL, and Damages too, if this thread has taught me anything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Exploder posted:

I hate to further derail the thread, but does anyone know of a good way to watch MASH (no :filez:)? I see it isn't on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon. I watched re-runs here and there when I was a kid, and even then I liked it but couldn't fully comprehend or appreciate it. I really need to check out Justified, FNL, and Damages too, if this thread has taught me anything.

The DVDs are the best since you can remove the laugh track.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Watching this for the first time, man I could not give less fucks about Vic's hooker friend.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Watching this for the first time, man I could not give less fucks about Vic's hooker friend.

She was probably one of the least interesting characters, but one annoying hooker among 10 incredible series regulars is pretty good. There is always going to be an annoying hooker in a police drama. She served a purpose though: showing you some of Vic's human side.

Other than that, how do you like it so far?

Exploder fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 24, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Vic is shown to be perfectly human. Unless it involves criminals, his coworkers, his family, or his friends.

He is pretty nice to hookers and desperate souls though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Conquistador posted:

Vic is shown to be perfectly human. Unless it involves criminals, his coworkers, his family, or his friends.

I can think of one hooker who he really really hates.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
TJ?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

No Farrah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Conquistador posted:

Doesn't the hooker act as a CI for him though? Which would explain why he's so desperate to keep her happy.

Been a while since I watched it, but I remember being pretty bored by all of the scenes with her too.

Either way, stick with it. The Shield's weakest season is Season 1, and it just gets better and better.

• Locked thread