Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Dongattack posted:

You guy's are so much better than me, so this question will probably be very basic for you. I don't understand the new technology screen, how does it work?

Behold the power of copy-paste:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You gain "Tech Points" in three different categories based on your ruler's stats. Military tech points are governed by your ruler's Learning+Martial, Economic by Stewardship+Learning, and Cultural by Diplomacy+Learning. In addition, you get a (fairly small) amount of Tech Points from Universities and Monastic Schools.

Your ruler's spouse and advisors' stats DO NOT affect your tech points. Marrying a high-learning spouse doesn't help you, sadly.

These Tech Points can be spent to manually increase the level of technology in your ruler's capital. They raise the tech level in the capital ONLY. The increased levels of technology then spread out to other neighboring territories through the familiar Technology Spread mechanic.

Now, it used to be that you dropped your councillors in the capital in order to learn things there faster, right? Yeah, that no longer happens. The research options for your Steward, Marshal, and Religious Advisor (Chaplain, Seer, whatever) now are designed to increase the rate of technology spread. To properly utilize them, you place them in a province next to a high-tech province, to encourage the spread of those high technology levels into the new province (so, for example, if your capital is in Dublin and you learn a new level of Heavy Infantry, you might put your Marshal in Leinster to speed up the drift of your new Heavy Infantry level over to Leinster).

In one of the dev diaries they suggested using the advisors to promote 'corridors' of tech growth through your country, so that the tech levels can spread out from the corridors the way we're used to. A nice theory, but I don't know how practical it is in practice yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Unintended side-effect of the new rebel system:
With a alrge multi-cultural empire, I get nationalist revolts all the time (like, I'd be lucky to have a year between #8 and #9 Italian revolt) which means I capture a lot of 20+ rebel leaders.

Oh, and they are all heretics/christians so my muslim ruler can force convert them and voila, I got tons of excellent generals to lead my armies.

Give them a few years and even the -200 TYRANT modifier wears of and suddenly I have the most loyal of bro's to place across my empire.

The power of Friendship :allears:

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
is there a way to mod the succession laws from day one? as in save game editing (scumming), don't judge me just if anyone knows the line to edit for a specific county I would appreciate it

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So is it a guarantee for unlanded sons in Viking realms to say "gently caress it, I'll conquer my own drat land :black101:"? Gavelkind sucks so I use Tanistry, but I feel kinda sad for the guys who get left out.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I own three dukedoms in southern Italy, just one county shy of crowning myself Queen. Bethrothed my son to the oldest daughter of the emperor, she's ambitious and only has one brother.

Then I notice my husband is King of Bavaria and my son has claims to all the Carolingian Kingdoms. :stare:

I matrilineally married this guy because he was quick, I literally didn't even notice his father was King. He was a fourth son and in line for a bishopric, but somehow he became King all the same!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I do like the new rebellion system. White peace still gets you the rebel leader in prison, you just gain ten prestige instead of twenty, which who loving cares. Then I get to execute the fucker who rebelled against me, which is so goddamn satisfying.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

LEss satisfying when you've run your army over to one end of your empire to fight a revolt there only to have the 13th liberation of Italy revolt spring up on the other end :argh:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have not played the game in a while, but I swear there used to be a button to let me search through every character in the game. Am I crazy? If it is gone, how do I access that function?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Isn't it one of the buttons on the map viewer in the lower right?

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

My Norse Empire of Brittania covers the Isles, Norway, half of Sweden, Denmark, and the northern half of East Francia. The only kingdom I personally hold is Scotland, and every other country is lead by a relative.

At this point I don't actually have to do anything because they just expand by themselves. Ireland took Brittany and has holdings in Iberia, Norway is pushing into Poland, and one of the Dukes in the far north just won an invasion of Italy (what the Christ). It's not even year 1000 yet. Christianity is hosed. It probably doesn't help that I raid Rome like clockwork as soon as the debuff wears off.

Tl;dr: Vikings are awesome.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So my character dies and I check out my new guy. He had four sons, only one was still alive. One died of natural causes at 30-something, all right. The other two died in childhood. So I check it out- they were both murdered, and my wife did it. She was my third wife and the last son was the only one that was hers, she'd murdered the other two so her son would inherit. So, I had her imprisoned, banished, and got an annulment, she's now sitting around in Norway somewhere.

The punchline? I'm running an elective monarchy, her son didn't get the throne.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Diogines posted:

I have not played the game in a while, but I swear there used to be a button to let me search through every character in the game. Am I crazy? If it is gone, how do I access that function?

It moved from where it used to be, now it's down in the lower right-hand corner underneath the minimap.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
I have a question about the 867 AD start, why doesn't the Magyars get a second doomstack after their invasion, does it upset the balance too much? Because historically it's correct to give them a second one, only the Vikings were bigger plunderers of the time. The Magyars practically devastated entire France, Germany, Northern Italy, Eastern Spain, Bulgaria, Byzantine Empire in a century of plunder and raids, the Byzantine emperor paid the magyars taxes for fifteen years to keep them away. Their armies were almost always victorious, they even beat the whole Imperial Frankish army in 910. I know I might sound biased because of my nationality, but I'm basing this on history.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Cumfart Vortex posted:

I have a question about the 867 AD start, why doesn't the Magyars get a second doomstack after their invasion, does it upset the balance too much? Because historically it's correct to give them a second one, only the Vikings were bigger plunderers of the time. The Magyars practically devastated entire France, Germany, Northern Italy, Eastern Spain, Bulgaria, Byzantine Empire in a century of plunder and raids, the Byzantine emperor paid the magyars taxes for fifteen years to keep them away. Their armies were almost always victorious, they even beat the whole Imperial Frankish army in 910. I know I might sound biased because of my nationality, but I'm basing this on history.

I thought they did get a second doomstack once they took the decision to become Kingdom of Hungary, and, well... http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?692303-Big-Red-Blob-Hungary-growing-out-of-control-after-ToG

People in that thread mention possibly locking their second doomstack to only being able to raid, which would be great - as you say, the Magyars were huge raiders, but at present, they just steamroll conquests with that doomstack.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

LogisticEarth posted:

Aww, I just looked at the game for the first time after the patch, and I'm disappointed to see that they changed the infrastructure improvements from stuff like "Wooden Palisade" to "Castle Walls I". It certainly feels like an "older" Paradox game in that regard. The tech changes sort of feel that way also. :(

Yeah, this is quite annoying. It seems like before it was easier to see at a glance how well developed a holding was.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

texside posted:

Well, when a brother and sister love each other very much...

It's a percentage chance when two characters are closely related; it's a 25% chance per parent that has it and a random chance to show up otherwise.

how close is too close though? I'm trying to get all geniuses you know.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I just noticed that Byzantium has reconquered all of Italy and a ton of the middle east. I think the only Pentarch still missing is Alexandria. Got me thinking, can the AI fix the schism/reform the Roman empire? I've never seen it happen but it would be drat cool.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

withak posted:

Isn't it one of the buttons on the map viewer in the lower right?

Yeah, the character finder button was moved there a few patches back; before, it was one of top menu icons after the religion button.

e:f;b like an Irish duke.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ThomasPaine posted:

I just noticed that Byzantium has reconquered all of Italy and a ton of the middle east. I think the only Pentarch still missing is Alexandria. Got me thinking, can the AI fix the schism/reform the Roman empire? I've never seen it happen but it would be drat cool.

Yeah the AI has access to all the tools the player has. It's just often not smart/focused enough to handle the more complex ones.

Sometimes though, it gets obscenely lucky.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Belasarius posted:

First kid from a father/daughter pair was inbred and quick. He was also my heir, ahead of the only-quick son of a concubine, so the assassins struck quickly.

e: isn't there a 'divine blood' trait added for use by the GoT mod that eliminates inbred risk? I can't figure out how to add it manually.

Annath fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2013

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Belasarius posted:

I'm not sure on the particulars of the inbreeding formula, but I expect that it works more or less like you would expect it to. The more related the parents are, the more likely the kids are to turn out inbred. So, you know, some sort of Zoroastrian marriage between a noble and his sister-daughter is not likely to work out very well.

Uncle/niece, aunt/nephew, and first-cousin marriages were fairly common in European history, but were prone to going horribly wrong after generations of the practice. The more links in the family tree, the worse it gets. The fellow I've linked to, poor Carlos II of Spain, was nominally the child of an uncle and a niece; but, because of his extensive family history of inbreeding, his parents turned out to be more homozygous than siblings.

Keep in mind that just because one kid ended up inbred, doesn't mean that the rest will. You're really just rolling the dice on this one. The less related the parents, the better your odds end up.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 1, 2013

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
What other ways besides :ese: are there to off unwanted characters in your realm? The current Steam trailer makes it sound like sending yon rotten spymaster off to war is a surefire way, but battles only ever seem to harm my ruler, and rarely at that. Assassinations are getting expensive, and while raiding does fill my coffers, :black101: can't cart off nobles to bishoprics anymore.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Is it possible for the homosexual trait to be hidden? My ruler hasn't had any kids despite having a wife and three concubines for years, and I got an event that said something about a courtier spreading rumours that I'm a sodomite. Am I a secret gay viking? :black101:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Annath posted:

e: isn't there a 'divine blood' trait added for use by the GoT mod that eliminates inbred risk? I can't figure out how to add it manually.

Kind of. If you inbreed you have a fair chance of getting the inbred trait, and a small chance of getting the lunatic trait. Divine blood flips those percentages, so you'll have fewer morons but more madmen. I think you need to make a trait and give it the attribute "divine_blood = yes" or something like that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bolian Blues posted:

Is it possible for the homosexual trait to be hidden? My ruler hasn't had any kids despite having a wife and three concubines for years, and I got an event that said something about a courtier spreading rumours that I'm a sodomite. Am I a secret gay viking? :black101:

No it can't be hidden so it's total slander. You're not gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
I don't think this was mentioned in the patch notes, but it seems like you need 51% of the holdings now to create/usurp titles. Obviously puts a crimp in things like many single-county start strategies.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Cumfart Vortex posted:

I seem to have wandered into the Paradox Forums. Why is it that these sorts of posts are always from EENs (Eastern European Nationalists) and never from, say, a German or a Frenchman.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Reveilled posted:

Kind of. If you inbreed you have a fair chance of getting the inbred trait, and a small chance of getting the lunatic trait. Divine blood flips those percentages, so you'll have fewer morons but more madmen. I think you need to make a trait and give it the attribute "divine_blood = yes" or something like that.

Hmmm... How does one make a trait?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Gah, I feel like playing the GOT mod, but CK2 auto-updated... drat you Gaben!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

NewtGoongrich posted:

I seem to have wandered into the Paradox Forums. Why is it that these sorts of posts are always from EENs (Eastern European Nationalists) and never from, say, a German or a Frenchman.

In fairness, both France and the German nations start out pretty drat powerful on whatever start date you put it on. In 1066 both the HRE and France are beast whose only need is to raise crown authority and in 867 it takes minimal effort to reunite Charlemagne's empire.

France and Germany are already easy mode.

While this IS the period that the Magyars raid the gently caress out of everywhere, so it's a fair point to make.

I'm English, as an aside to show where my biases may be.

So who're some fun yet challenging character to be in 867? Minus the Zoroastrians. I can never stop an Islamic Persia from forming.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I had an absurd idea.

What happens if you use the console to make the Pope Pagan? Or Muslim? Does he crusade himself?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Annath posted:

Hmmm... How does one make a trait?

It's not a trait, actually, it's a flag applied to the dynasty in question. I've always wondered if it can be edited mid-game, so I'm not sure of that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's not a trait, actually, it's a flag applied to the dynasty in question. I've always wondered if it can be edited mid-game, so I'm not sure of that.

Can it be added before beginning a game, as through the Ruler Designer? I've only used it to change names/looks

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Two questions I've seen asked but not answered;

1) How does the HRE form? What conditions need to be met, or will it just fire at a certain date?

2) How do the Magyars form Hungary? Can they ONLY form Hungary in the Carpathian basin? Will the decision to do so eventually go away after a certain date?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Magyars are already really strong and definitely don't need a buff. Maybe if they also make it a lot harder to reform the Tengri Faith.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Rejected Fate posted:

While this IS the period that the Magyars raid the gently caress out of everywhere, so it's a fair point to make.

Raid, not conquer a giant Mongol-esque tribute empire blob.

Qwo posted:

Two questions I've seen asked but not answered;

1) How does the HRE form? What conditions need to be met, or will it just fire at a certain date?

2) How do the Magyars form Hungary? Can they ONLY form Hungary in the Carpathian basin? Will the decision to do so eventually go away after a certain date?

1. It's a de jure empire at the start of the game, so it can be formed if one ruler has 80% of the provinces and accumulates enough gold and piety. Which means the AI is unlikely to pull it off.

2. The decision is available when the King of the Magyars controls the duchy of Pest and at least one other Hungarian duchy. No time limit.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 1, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Remember that Karling dude who converted and went of to be king of West Francia?

Pretty borders? What's that?

King Carloman IV is in charge right now, his decendant. I believe he converted the English vikings too.

At a point he had all of Germany that's yellow now, but lost it to a Catholic German King during a revolt.

Said German King got beaten by me and when I looked again he had been replaced by a muslim german, you can see the kingdom in the middle of France logged in a province between me and West Francia.
Pretty much 80% of the nobility in Europe proper are local converts.

At a point early on I managed to convert the Norwegian king, but Norway went and got conquered by Sweden (Who refuses to admit my imams :argh:) so the big Viking nations are Sweden and Scotland.

The Byzantines got invaded by the Tulunids from egypt, but are still around.

The only major Christian nation left is Great Moravia, but mostly because I for some reason don't get any invasion CB against them, just holy wars for 1 province at a time every 10 years :suicide:

I've formed the Iberian Empire but nothing is integrating and half the kingdoms that were integrating into Andalusia started reseting and then stopped working entirely, this loving mechanic man :iiam:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Raiding is weird and annoying.

It's tied to religion. Fine. Easily modded such that all religions may Raid.

Raiding means you need to siege down the province in question. So small places can't raid due to lack of numbers, especially since Mercenaries can't do it for you(Mercs are specifically disallowed from Raiding).

And no-one has any ships in 867, so travelling is hard to do.

So how does a small realm get to do anything fun?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Raiding means you need to siege down the province in question.
This is not true.

And thanks, Walliard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloodly posted:

Raiding is weird and annoying.

It's tied to religion. Fine. Easily modded such that all religions may Raid.

Raiding means you need to siege down the province in question. So small places can't raid due to lack of numbers, especially since Mercenaries can't do it for you(Mercs are specifically disallowed from Raiding).

And no-one has any ships in 867, so travelling is hard to do.

So how does a small realm get to do anything fun?

You don't need to siege a place to raid them, and you should have a few ships at your disposal in 867 provided you have coastal territory. Go toggle the raider button and nab some gold!

• Locked thread