Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Beeez posted:

Are any of these classic bits on Youtube?

I love this one about sweet Camaros. It's also funny how hard it is to find this video if you just search YouTube for "sweet Camaro". There's way too many real douchebag videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leRajequ7-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Beeez posted:

Are any of these classic bits on Youtube?

Going back to Phil being his own worst enemy: no. He's a complete cock about giving away his material, HIS MATERIAL!, for free. He does not understand how much good putting some of his really amazing stuff on YouTube would do for his subscription service. I was hoping against hope that I could find a link to "PLANE GO BOOM", a fantastic post 9-11 bit where a guy tries to train mentally retarded people to scan people's luggage for weapons, but the best I could find was an interview he did with John McCain. Or "All You Can Eat Negro" or his Herb Sewell bit where a reformed pedophile saves a child's life and he wants to take him to Disneyland as a reward. He has absolutely no clue as to how to use the internet to his advantage. He's like an angry Bill Larson.

I keep meaning to get off my rear end and make a good OP a Phil Hendrie thread, but, y'know, I'm a busy guy. When I finally get to it, I'll try to post a couple clips. For as much as a dickhead he can be, he's an incredibly talented guy.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 2, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

Dear goons,

how do I type "Phil Hendrie" into youtube? tia

Sorry to double post, but he and his wife are real bastards about pulling poo poo off of YouTube.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Happy Hippo posted:

Dear goons,

how do I type "Phil Hendrie" into youtube? tia

I don't know what bits he's done that are an especially good representation of his work, that's why I asked. Typing his name into Youtube is fine if anything he does is gold, but I would assume that's not the case. DangerDummy has mentioned some specific stuff that was especially good, so I asked him if there was some way to hear it myself.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Beeez posted:

I don't know what bits he's done that are an especially good representation of his work, that's why I asked. Typing his name into Youtube is fine if anything he does is gold, but I would assume that's not the case. DangerDummy has mentioned some specific stuff that was especially good, so I asked him if there was some way to hear it myself.

Don't worry about it, you weren't wrong in asking the question.

I'd like to see you make a good Phil Hendrie post, DangerDummy, because I don't know much about him at all.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I actually knew him from when he was on the show "New Girl" for a few episodes a year ago, but I didn't even know his name or that he was actually a radio personality and not an actor simply playing a radio personality. Interesting to find out he's somewhat prolific in the radio world.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One thing I'll always be grateful to Dennis Miller for is that when I was watching him at 12-13 years old, his material and show encouraged me to follow politics, which I think is fairly important. And Dennis has a better reason than some for turning right-wing post 9/11 (he lost a friend in the attack, IIRC), although sadly, the man has completely lost his fastball, both comedically and mentally. It's really hard to take the critical thinking skills of somebody who said the words "George W Bush made it alright to respect the office President of the US again" seriously. He also popped up on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives recently, which made me sad because Guy Fieri is the kind of tool Dennis used to mock regularly on HBO.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One thing I'll always be grateful to Dennis Miller for is that when I was watching him at 12-13 years old, his material and show encouraged me to follow politics, which I think is fairly important. And Dennis has a better reason than some for turning right-wing post 9/11 (he lost a friend in the attack, IIRC), although sadly, the man has completely lost his fastball, both comedically and mentally. It's really hard to take the critical thinking skills of somebody who said the words "George W Bush made it alright to respect the office President of the US again" seriously. He also popped up on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives recently, which made me sad because Guy Fieri is the kind of tool Dennis used to mock regularly on HBO.

I was about the same age when I first got into Dennis Miller. He really was a phenomenal stand up, and I watched his HBO talk show every Friday night (1-800-LACTOSE). To be honest, I didn't hate him on Monday Night Football either, just because he was so not up to the task and awkward that I thought he lent an odd and interesting angle to the commentary.

I gave his radio a listen a couple times just because I thought, yeah, he may be a bit of a right wing nut now, but he's still got to be funny every now and again. He really isn't though. "Lost his fastball" is a perfect metaphor, honestly. Plus, the way he sucks Bill O'Reilly's rear end is just disgusting. It's like he's seeking a father's approval.

quote:

I'd like to see you make a good Phil Hendrie post, DangerDummy, because I don't know much about him at all.

What the hell. It'll give me something to do now that work's kinda slow. I just have to dig up my laptop out of storage cuz there's no way in hell I'm doing it on a tablet.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 3, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

And Dennis has a better reason than some for turning right-wing post 9/11 (he lost a friend in the attack, IIRC)

I... don't see the connection.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Lots of people lost friends and family on 9/11 I don't know why thats suddenly a reason for switching sides. Especially since Bush had prior knowledge of the attacks and did nothing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm not saying it magically makes it okay, but I am saying I could see how it would make somebody change their minds about political philosophy, especially if they feel that right-wingers will take the action for somebody they lost.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Some people flipped their lid after 9/11 and went from left-liberal to crazy neocon. David Mamet is another example that comes to mind. It's not exactly rational but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Comic book writer-artist Frank Miller fully embraced his inner fascist after 9/11 (but really, if you read The Dark Knight Returns you'll see that he was always sort of pro-fascist). It also steeled a lot of atheists into being more strident and forthcoming with their views.

Anyway, I like Maron's podcast. :)

edit; You know what would be a great WTF episode? Dennis Miller.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 3, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Spoiler alert for today's episode: Marc and Jessica got engaged!

This should be fun.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

Some people flipped their lid after 9/11 and went from left-liberal to crazy neocon. David Mamet is another example that comes to mind. It's not exactly rational but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Everyone went crazy after 9/11. Nobody remembers this now but if you did anything but react by filling up your gas tank and worshipping GW and beat the war drum people would call you a piece of poo poo and ostracize you. Even in liberal college towns. It was like three months before people with peace symbol stickers on their cars stopped getting their tires slashed.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

This should be fun.

Oh boy. I deleted today's because I'm not a fan of the music eps. I just now remember him saying something big was happening on Thursday so thanks for reminding me.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
You know what that means! Great content in the future when Marc gets divorced a 3rd time!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Berzerker posted:

This should be fun.

Hahahaha, oh man.

New material.

Congratulations, Marc. gently caress.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
maybe the third time's the charm guys

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

RadioactiveKid posted:

maybe the third time's the charm guys

Isn't she 18 and certifiably insane? That sounds healthy.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

No and no.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Man that was some classic Goon Hyperbole...

She's like mid to late 20s, not too weird for hollywood.

The origin story of their relationship is pretty whacked though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

She's like 28 or 29. Their origin story is pretty screwed up (she emailed him essentially as a groupie and they set up a sex weekend, then she was texting him pictures of her vagina and stuff) but whatever, good luck to them.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

epitasis posted:

No and no.

Maybe that's Stanhope.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
he did have to have his locks changed when he broke up with her the first time, though.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Im willing to bet that it was as much of Marc's fault as it was of hers.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Hey folks, where does Marc Maron do his interviews? I mean, obviously in his garage, but where is that located. Is it LA or in that area?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Yes it is in LA.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

tnimark posted:

Yes it is in LA.

Thanks.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
More specifically Highland Park. At least that's what the intro to the show used to say.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Surprised its this easy to find.. if you really have to know.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/marc-marons-house/

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Could you get me a vial of Marc Maron's blood while you're being super creepy? pm me for my address just kidding you can find it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm a booker. I'm trying to get someone on the show. This person will be in LA for a few weeks in November.

Way to project, people.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

escape artist posted:

I'm a booker. I'm trying to get someone on the show. This person will be in LA for a few weeks in November.

Way to project, people.

Once again, needlessly defensive dude. He's clearly referring to the poster that posted a satellite image of the guy's house.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

epitasis posted:

needlessly defensive

When you deal with the hecklers I do at shows, it kind of becomes ingrained in you (I love hecklers, by the way, because I destroy them). It's reflexive, knee-jerk poo poo. You always have to be ready to strike back. I was just "hazed" into a "fraternity" of comics and I'm sort of in that state of mind.

I'm not making excuses, just explaining my thought process. I apologize for coming off as a dick.

Also, I'm a cripple in chronic pain, so add the "constantly mad at the world" aspect and you can understand my disposition. I'm working on the anger and defensive issues, though. So again, I apologize.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

escape artist posted:

When you deal with the hecklers I do at shows, it kind of becomes ingrained in you (I love hecklers, by the way, because I destroy them). It's reflexive, knee-jerk poo poo. You always have to be ready to strike back. I was just "hazed" into a "fraternity" of comics and I'm sort of in that state of mind.

I'm not making excuses, just explaining my thought process. I apologize for coming off as a dick.

Also, I'm a cripple in chronic pain, so add the "constantly mad at the world" aspect and you can understand my disposition. I'm working on the anger and defensive issues, though. So again, I apologize.

Time to watch the wire again, escape artist

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

escape artist posted:

You posted like a month ago that you were working up the nerve to do your first open mic. Now you're destroying hecklers?

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 15, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You posted like a month ago that you were working up the nerve to do your first open mic. Now you're destroying hecklers?
You would not believe the leaps I've taken since then. Stage fright, or at least for me, vanished after the first joke I told. The audience is not intimidating at all. And I've found a knack for ad-libbing and crowd work to be more enjoyable than my prepared jokes.

Not only am I destroying hecklers, I'm trolling crappy audiences. People say you can't get addicted to something the first time you do it.... those people never tried stand-up comedy.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

escape artist posted:

I'm trolling crappy audiences.
I would like to know what this means please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

tnimark posted:

I would like to know what this means please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLWJcjDbtiU

or even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 15, 2013

• Locked thread