Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So this has got me questioning this game.

This is pretty borderline furry art and makes me question the taste of the art director for the game. Art is super important in a trading card game, no one wants to collect and play with ugly cards. I hope this is just a rarity as the other images they put up were nearly as sexual and creepy. I certainly don't want to be cracking open packs to find sexualised coyotes in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Cater to literally everyone

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'm really not one to get overly upset about sexualized content, but that's just plain bad-looking. The head isn't proportional to the body and the lighting makes it stick out like a sore thumb. Even ignoring the blatant sexualization it's bad.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

It's mind blowing the utter cesspit the official hex forums are. It's almost like it's the storm drain of runoff youtube comments.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

It'll be hilarious if you only play Lotuses for the draw effect and go up against an encounter or boss that has a way of stealing artifacts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JesusIsTehCool posted:

This is pretty borderline furry art and makes me question the taste of the art director for the game. Art is super important in a trading card game, no one wants to collect and play with ugly cards. I hope this is just a rarity as the other images they put up were nearly as sexual and creepy. I certainly don't want to be cracking open packs to find sexualised coyotes in them.

Eh, most of the Coyotle art is just fine and not especially furry looking. That particular one looks more generally crappy than furry anyway. If they just fixed the weird head it would be like 50% better.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 1, 2013

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
:gonk:

Some of the Coyotle art actually looks really cool, but then that . . . Ugh. At least that particular art is only a PvE Champion art, and not a card, I guess? Then again, the female Coyotle's anthropomorphic characteristics in general are kinda weird at best. I don't mind animal people comprising some of the races in the game, but there's no good reason for them to have huge fantasy boobs.

V That's good to hear, at least.

All Nines fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 1, 2013

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

I think I know where you're coming from and if you don't like it, I can say that Female Mage is as far as that goes.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The Moon Monster posted:

Eh, most of the Coyotle art is just fine and not especially furry looking. That particular one looks more generally crappy than furry anyway. If they just fixed the weird head it would be like 50% better.

The big problem with that one is that it's PC art. So that is your character, not just some card. It's pretty awful. I don't think the Coyotle art is categorically bad, I like this piece for instance.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Karnegal posted:

The big problem with that one is that it's PC art. So that is your character, not just some card. It's pretty awful. I don't think the Coyotle art is categorically bad, I like this piece for instance.

For me, the issue isn't the sexed up aspect of it, which while awkward, is something I've come to expect from fantasy stuff, but rather that it just looks bad. The lighting, the proportions on the head, the legs being off, the tail being gigantic and so forth. I know what race/class combo not to pick at least =)

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

JesusIsTehCool posted:

It's a pretty bad picture period, I mean what's going on with those legs? The other pictures that were posted were pretty cool looking though, especially the crazy-eyed warlock dude. I also thought the style guide concepts were nicely done and they all seemed pretty reasonable designs. The female mage in those made me laugh a bit with how she looks all "BEHOLD! I have a bird on my head."

You're always going to have a couple of artists like that who think that all fantasy stuff has to be crazy oversexualized and/or have no sense of proportions, but I guess the good thing about TCGs is you'll have a variety of artists so you don't have to worry about a particular artist's questionable tastes screwing everything else up.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah the female mage fails the important test of "would I be embarrassed if my wife walked in and saw that." This is why I won't buy Dragon's Crown, even though I generally like vanillaware.

Putting the sexualization aside (I doubt they'd print a male mage that was objectified like that), it's a terrible design decision in that that is you. It evokes no power, it doesn't looks like she has anything to do with making that lightning. It pretty much just says, look at my coyote boobs. And as noted, the head is a mess. I can accept that not all the art is going to be a home run, but there should be a bit more effort into nailing the player character art.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I had just assumed that the Coyotle were deliberate bones thrown to the furry market.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I had just assumed that the Coyotle were deliberate bones thrown to the furry market.

Why? That's a pretty unfair accusation to make. I agree the art is awful but it's not like other games like Magic don't have animal people up the rear end in their art.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selane posted:

Why? That's a pretty unfair accusation to make. I agree the art is awful but it's not like other games like Magic don't have animal people up the rear end in their art.

Yeah, I guess I make the same assumption any time I see any anthropomorphic animal with huge tits, especially online. I don't really mean it as an accusation against Cryptozooic specifically. It's just, you're drawing a picture of a sexualized fox, you're online, what connection do you think people are going to draw? I guarantee you, there are furries backing the Hex kickstarter right now because they're so excited about Coyotles, whether we want to admit that or not.

It can be the mission of the goon guild when we get organized. Hex Goons: Coyotle Hunters

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah I am sure there are a ton of furries playing Hex, after all there was a poll of what race to show next and guess what won.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Niedar posted:

Yeah I am sure there are a ton of furries playing Hex, after all there was a poll of what race to show next and guess what won.

Yeah, exactly.

Edit: Of the various races, personally I'm most interested to find out more about the Necrotic and Vennen.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 1, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Jesus Christ, that'd be embarrassing even if it were a human.

Maybe I'm just not understanding it but how is the relationship between her left hip and the corresponding leg supposed to even work

e: I have to say though that after reading the article that's like the only coyotle design that's embarrassing to me, at least for sexuality-related reasons. Most of the other pictures (including the ones that are pages of concept sketches, so like a dozen character designs total) seem pretty awesome. It's like they generally had a handle on the art direction and then brainfarted on one piece of terrible furry cheesecake?

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 1, 2013

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

There's art on the cards? :v:

Yeah, that's embarrassing but I've played with all sorts of embarrassing art if the card is good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selane posted:

Yeah, but here's the Magic equivalent:

Similar levels of boobs-at-the-camera, but the character is depicted as stalking, eyes narrowed and weapon ready, leant forward to spring.

The closest thing to genuine furry fanservice in Magic is probably Ink-Eyes:

Even then, this is obviously a piece in motion; Ink-Eyes is leaping forward and drawing her spear back to swing at an enemy to her left. She's not thrusting her tits out and giving the camera a come-hither look with big blue eyes straight out of a bad anime like that Coyotle Mage.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
It looks like the head was photoshopped onto there or something. It's... really weird.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

Even then, this is obviously a piece in motion; Ink-Eyes is leaping forward and drawing her spear back to swing at an enemy to her left. She's not thrusting her tits out and giving the camera a come-hither look with big blue eyes straight out of a bad anime like that Coyotle Mage.

That doesn't look as bad as the hydrocephalic coyotle babe, but on the other hand I had to stare at it for like 10 seconds for my brain to parse what was going on. I doubt that anything with a skeletal structure similar to a human's could actually make that pose.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
A lot of this talk is going on in the official forums and I beg you to talk about it there because:

1) Crypt will take notice

2) There are so many idiots there they could use some knowledge.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I don't think I would have an issue with it so much if it wasn't one of the main races in the game. Like in MTG there are occasional sexy cat women, but they are pretty few and far between. I honestly have very little issue with the ethics of sexual female animals and wouldn't care much if these cards existed. I just don't really want to play a game where they are a dominate part of the game and I am constantly having to look at sexy coyotes. I don't care if they want to throw furries a bone, I just don't want to be inundated with something I think is strange and creepy. Hopefully they keep the cards tasteful and not embarrassing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yah, a few minutes of googling turns up M:TG images every bit as bad as the Coyote image if not worse.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't particularly like that female coyotle art, but i'm definitely not going to let something like that stop me from playing the game. I think the rest of the coyotle stuff looks pretty fantastic.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

rear end Catchcum posted:

A lot of this talk is going on in the official forums and I beg you to talk about it there because:

The main forums started out alright. I don't get the bragging about your pledge tiers sigs, but whatever. Now they are pretty much unbearable, and I no longer go there unless CZ posts a poll. The utter lack of moderation makes them unviewable.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yah, a few minutes of googling turns up M:TG images every bit as bad as the Coyote image if not worse.

Again, the issue is that it isn't a random card it's the female mage player art

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Yeah, someone should consider re-doing that artwork. That's what represents you as a coyotle female mage? Ugh. It's just ugly art. Never mind the boobs and anthro issues.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Isn't Blinkman987 an employee? Or a family member? He comes off that way. So I think discussing it here means the message gets passed on. Talking about it on the official forums is okay if you're masochistic I suppose.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

It's mind blowing the utter cesspit the official hex forums are. It's almost like it's the storm drain of runoff youtube comments.

Eh, it's not all bad. I didn't know about the fan-updated manalink and shandalar MtG games until I read 'em on the forums. So now I have a card game to play until Alpha.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Karnegal posted:

Again, the issue is that it isn't a random card it's the female mage player art

Female coyotle low-level mage player art.

I don't see this as that big an issue when it's one option out of many. A certain # of people probably want exactly this, it's no worse than half the character designs in World of Warcraft.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that race is currently purely cosmetic - can anyone confirm that?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

pumpinglemma posted:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that race is currently purely cosmetic - can anyone confirm that?

It is initially, but Cory said that it'll matter in the future for some stories. Some dungeon treat ardent and the bad guys (forgetting the name) differently

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blazing Zero posted:

Isn't Blinkman987 an employee? Or a family member? He comes off that way. So I think discussing it here means the message gets passed on. Talking about it on the official forums is okay if you're masochistic I suppose.
He is, yeah. Running the kickstarter even. He probably reads everything and honestly knowing him, he probably feels the same way about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Moon Monster posted:

That doesn't look as bad as the hydrocephalic coyotle babe, but on the other hand I had to stare at it for like 10 seconds for my brain to parse what was going on. I doubt that anything with a skeletal structure similar to a human's could actually make that pose.

It's slightly bad. The resin statue was easier to cope with.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
The KS replies to the update are leaning pro-furry.

quote:

Love the mage. Great work!

quote:

Also: The fad of "over-sexualization angst" is getting old. I LIKE fantasizing about bad-rear end, flawlessly sexy women. I've been doing it since Robert E. Howard, and I'll always be doing it. If I can have bunny samurai people, I don't see the reason I can't get plate armor cleavage and alluring fox people.

I mean, drat, that fur must be silky.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Typing from my phone

I mentioned in a previous post that the Mage is about as far as it goes in that direction, that's one artist's approach out of hundreds of cards, and that the style guide is probably the best gauge of what you can expect from Coyotle art.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Posting to say I've always loved the strategy behind TCG games, but never had anyone to play them with :( Constantly been waiting for a decent online TCG game. MTGO was close, but expensive, with an ugly interface, and it's hard for me to get into a new game if there aren't a lot of other new players.

Can't wait for this game, for a combination of being able to learn it as it starts, and having a group of goons to play/learn it with. Should be fun.

Also you guys debate about the silliest things.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

Rhaegar posted:

It seems to me that the 1.8m stretch goal is really going to be a stretch based on how much it's going up daily.

All Kickstarters get huge boosts in the last couple of days. Until then they're usually pretty flat, or if they were hyped enough prior to opening display an inverted bell-curve pledge distribution. I wouldn't be especially surprised to see it get another $200,000 or $300,000 on the last day alone.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
True, I mean if anyone is like me then and are debating the Dungeon Crawler or Collector tier (or both) then I could definitely see a large number of pledges on the last day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Rhaegar posted:

True, I mean if anyone is like me then and are debating the Dungeon Crawler or Collector tier (or both) then I could definitely see a large number of pledges on the last day.

Dungeon Crawler seems to be selling at a pretty good rate. They're almost down to 450 left at this point. Collector is moving pretty well too. I wouldn't be surprised if DC sold out before the last day.

• Locked thread