Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm willing to buy that this is montreal. I'd still like a couple things figured out before I'd before I'm completely convinced St. Lious is not an equally good choice.

First as just an observation, the lines on his head really look like arches to me; However, the person who did the above pro-St. Lious analysis must be right about the building outline in the shirt, and the step design on the shirt. These are very, very clearly supposed to represent real physical locations. So if not the places he suggests in St. Lious, where are these things seen in Montreal?

And I'm pretty convinced that the hair does form numbers, maybe 39 or 68. Do either of things mean anything in reference to Montreal?

Edit

Some thoughts on the connection between Montreal and St. Lious that are probably meaningless.
1. Both cities were originally founded by the French
2. Both cities were World's Fair host cities.

There are a couple of people that have already found some interesting links to Montreal, mostly this guy http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/montrealhunt.pdf .
This is the thread that sparked my interest in this on a Quebec forum http://detectionduquebec.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=354 .

It really doesn't make much sense that the artist would use the exact iconic lamp post design if it pointed to St-Louis. However, everything else in that picture makes more sense for St-Louis.

Imazul fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Houston

I was talking to some friends about this tonight and one of them hit on something that may be significant.

"What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night"

Could this refer to a Christmas tree? Another friend thought she remembered there being a Christmas tree in the Japanese gardens area, but I can't find anything online about it.

Also I reversed the colors to see if anything else could be revealed here.

1. A strange shape in the leaves up here, not sure if they signify anything.
2. The djinn's wrappings look more like a face here wearing an old floppy hat. A really creepy face and not the best thing to discover while lying in bed in the dark.
3. The shadow of this dune looks like a seated lion
4. I noticed there was something written at the base of this pillar before, but couldn't make it out. It looks like 53 to me, but not sure what that signifies. There are also different numbers of rings above the bases of each pillar. 1 on the closest, 2 on the rhino's, and none on the camel's. The closest pillar also has the number one inscribed on it, the rhino pillar has two leaves in front of it, and I still think it's important that the camel pillar doesn't cast a shadow.

In the tree branches I am seeing a 95 and a 96.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
Cask 3/Roanoke
:siren:I will be heading to Roanoke Island to check out the possible Cask #3 location either Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming week if all goes to plan:siren: I'm still waiting to hear back from my dad and sister and I'm trying to shift work schedules around. My dad would probably eat this kind of stuff up but he's old and has a bad back and probably couldn't do any fence-hopping or digging.

TShields posted:

Be careful, guys.. don't get arrested for digging up a national park for a ceramic pot buried by someone with way too much time on their hands.

I went to school with most of the Sheriff Deputies so if worse comes worst I'll pull the "Small Town" card. I'm also calling around to see if I know anyone in the Park Service over there. The place is more or less abandoned at night, but I'd prefer to do this the "right" way, or at the very least as close to "right" as possible and not piss anybody off.

Premeditated Toast fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 2, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Premeditated Toast posted:

:siren:I will be heading to Roanoke Island to check out the possible Cask #3 location either Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming week if all goes to plan:siren: I'm still waiting to hear back from my dad and sister and I'm trying to shift work schedules around. My dad would probably eat this kind of stuff up but he's old and has a bad back and probably couldn't do any fence-hopping or digging.

I went to school with most of the Sheriff Deputies so if worse comes worst I'll pull the "Small Town" card. I'm also calling around to see if I know anyone in the Park Service over there. The place is more or less abandoned at night, but I'd prefer to do this the "right" way, or at the very least as close to "right" as possible and not piss anybody off.

Rather than just digging randomly, it might be a good idea to probe the ground with a piece of welding rod or something similar (a long, stiff wire of some sort) first.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
Cask 3/Roanoke
Does anyone know how deep down the two found casks were buried?

edit: Nevermind, one of the news articles says that the book claims that the casks are buried no more than three and a half feet deep. I think the cask found in 2004 was only buried about a foot down though, seems to depend on location.

Premeditated Toast fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 2, 2013

Nov 7, 2012
I give terrible advice in E/N and post nothing worth anybody's time.

i might be a social cripple irl

Slayer1597 posted:

In the tree branches I am seeing a 95 and a 96.

30 as well.

Concept Theory
Aug 10, 2003
Slight update for the Charleston/Sullivans. Right before I headed out I sent an email to the guy who gave the idea for the memorial near Middle/Oscoela. He actually emailed me back and gave me another webpage to check out. http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/image2/whitestones.pdf

This page have abetter photo of the memorial area, and I'm grabbing some more myself.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

At the longfellow HOME there is housed the collection of all of his letters as well as many other famous archives, etc.

And the entire area is lit by lamplight.

And the stonework arches match the details in the globe.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...ed=0CJsBEPwSMAM

That sounds pretty compelling, good luck dude!

edit-Don't get arrested..

Rondette fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 1, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

allta posted:

Edit: Any San Francisco goons up for a feild trip to Golden Gate Park?

I'm near SF and can go today or tomorrow, but I don't want to do this on my own. Any other goons in the Bay Area free today/tomorrow? (I need about 90 minutes warning to get there on the ferry.)

(I have PMs if you prefer to do this off the thread.)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 1, 2013

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I dont know if anyone actually saw this, but the article is a pretty good read.

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

allta posted:

So according to the forums, the way they got the Lat for the San Francisco(cask 1) was by counting the boxes on her sleeves? If thats true, my assumption that the lat and long are actual numbers hidden somewhere in the picture are a tad off.

It's still without a doubt San Francisco though, so don't worry about that.

This is really important! We need to start counting everything in these images that are similar.

Since I'm focused on the NYC one, I think counting those colored dots might make more sense then trying to see colorblindness tests in it.

I'm at work now so I can't count them, but I will later tonight.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

PunkNickel posted:

I've read the thread thoroughly, but which picture is supposed to be associated with the Salt Lake City location that is on the OP map? I don't see that anything talked about thus far includes Utah.

I think the wiki map is mislabeled because there should be 12 dots and there isn't one for Boston. Also, I read the Chicago article and it's pretty disheartening that the author had to send them a photo of where it was buried and they still almost missed it. Also they said they were sure there was one in Colorado? Maybe another treasure hunt...?

Btw, for those who haven't noticed, you can browse the lemontiger directories for all his files: http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I somehow can't imagine just digging 3 foot holes all over the place without getting in trouble. You'd need some kind of geophysical survey tools to image the earth before digging.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Fistgrrl posted:

I think the wiki map is mislabeled because there should be 12 dots and there isn't one for Boston. Also, I read the Chicago article and it's pretty disheartening that the author had to send them a photo of where it was buried and they still almost missed it. Also they said they were sure there was one in Colorado? Maybe another treasure hunt...?

Or its likely that one of the pictures is possibly Colorado, the wiki hasn't been fully indicate in over 6 years, and some of the methods they used for establishing the coordinates were....questionable to say the least.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm willing to buy that this is montreal. I'd still like a couple things figured out before I'd before I'm completely convinced St. Lious is not an equally good choice.

First as just an observation, the lines on his head really look like arches to me; However, the person who did the above pro-St. Lious analysis must be right about the building outline in the shirt, and the step design on the shirt. These are very, very clearly supposed to represent real physical locations. So if not the places he suggests in St. Lious, where are these things seen in Montreal?

And I'm pretty convinced that the hair does form numbers, maybe 39 or 68. Do either of things mean anything in reference to Montreal?

Edit

Some thoughts on the connection between Montreal and St. Lious that are probably meaningless.
1. Both cities were originally founded by the French
2. Both cities were World's Fair host cities.

I'm not at all a treasure hunter, but I live in St. Louis, and I think the Arch/courthouse interpretation is seriously stretching. The Arch is narrower than that, for one thing. For another, even if you do want to interpret the neckline as the courthouse, aren't there other courthouses shaped like that? (Or other things shaped like the outside of the Jewel Box, since it's only simple squares?)

I'm not saying it can't be in St. Louis, and I kind of hope it is, but I'm not convinced of it.

EDIT: Hold on a minute.

1) That "Blues logo" in the flower could be a 40. 2) Have we ruled out Kansas City yet? It's in the same 39-40 latitudinal area.

Tjadeth fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 1, 2013

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Premeditated Toast posted:

Does anyone know how deep down the two found casks were buried?

edit: Nevermind, one of the news articles says that the book claims that the casks are buried no more than three and a half feet deep.

Any idea how much storm surge exposure the northern soundside stretch of Roanoke's coast gets? I hope it hasn't been washed over too badly in the last two decade's storms. A sandy shore isn't the most stable of all places. :ohdear:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Cask 3 / North Carolina

More confirmation about the location. The image is full of things that have to be relevant, which I just haven't placed yet. One of them is the multiple bells (and keys). From here:

http://www.kitchensaremonkeybusiness.com/2008/02/another-stroll-through-elizabethan.html

"The parterres in the Sunken Garden are in the shapes of boats and in the shapes of bells. A gentleman named Bell did the back-hoe work when digging this area out, plus bells go along with the boats."

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Re: Milwaukee

I am wondering if it is near the Cathedral Park area.

1. City Hall is visible in the distance, as in the picture.
2. "From three who lived there"- the park is bordered by Kilbourn and Wells streets, 2 famous Milwaukee residents. It's also bordered by Jackson and Jefferson (not sure if they are named after Milwaukians).
3. "At a distance in time" - there is a clock on the cathedral.
4. "From woman, with harpsichord" - If I remember correctly the bell tower plays music, could be harpsichord.
5. "View the three stories of Mitchell " - the Mitchell Building is near that area?

I haven't been there for awhile, maybe someone else knows more about the are and any other landmarks.

allta
Mar 28, 2011
I did some playing around with cask 6/St. Augustine,Fl and when you set the image to a high transparency(effictivly ignoring everything but the outlines of objects) you get left with a something a tad different:

Note:depending on your monitor and settings you may have to look at it from a different angle.

That cant be a coincidence right?

Edit:Here's an outline I did in mspaint, I'll try to just isolate what I'm trying to show, sorry for all of the confusion!

allta fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 1, 2013

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Occams taser posted:

Verse 6 is for the one in San Francisco.

These lines recall Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation; its legislation to free slaves at the beginning
of a century, and its 50th anniversary celebration in 1913. Looking at the map of Portsmouth square, there's a "Clay st" and a man named Cassius Clay helped draft the proclamation, and assuming this is relative, it could be referencing Clay St.

Some history of the Lincoln Highway in SF:

Along the Lincoln Highway in San Francisco

Until the construction of the Bay Bridge in 1936, Lincoln Highway travelers used a ferry to cross from Berkeley Pier to Hyde Street Pier. From there, the Lincoln Highway followed modern-day Hyde Street to North Point Street west to Van Ness Avenue and south to California Street, where it continued due west to 32nd Avenue, whereupon the road entered Lincoln Park. Using this guide, it's easy to see whether you've actually passed along the Lincoln Highway, an overlooked piece of Americana in the heart of San Francisco.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can you help those of us who can just see a blank white screen?

(Well if I lay the screen flat I can see some dark outline/vein looking things but what are you getting at? :shrug:)

allta
Mar 28, 2011
This is the clearest I can get it before the face starts getting distorted.

Edit:got it a bit clear

allta fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 1, 2013

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

allta posted:

ah yes, that also to my mind shows 2 others. The one circled in white looks upside-down to me.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
General

allta posted:

So goons, what happens when you have a forum full of treasure hunters, a sub-forum just for the secret, and about 10 years to post in it?

It would take me months to pour over all of this information, if anyone would like to help(safari rules apply) send me a pm. I wont do email for this one sense I wont be able to tell who is who.
:stare: I've only looked at the SF thread, but there's so much useful information there I'd have to copy/paste the whole thing to "summarize" it. I really suggest people look at it themselves.

Cask 1, San Francisco

Looking again at how the Cleveland puzzle was solved, "The centaur, a mythical Greek creature, identifies the Greek theme of this quest." The cask was found in the Greek Cultural Garden. That means the Asian theme in the SF picture must be really significant. Also, a gap between the crags in the upper right-hand area is very symmetrical. I think it's another upside-down spire, or maybe part of a sculpture or monument.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 2, 2013

Anansi
Dec 24, 2010

Hoarding your wisdom

allta posted:

Edit:got it a bit clear

When I saw the image for cask 6 on page one I immediately thought it looked like a face wearing a helmet, like a WW2 military style or a baseball helmet. The verse uses the words "base" and "limestone" (the lines on baseball fields are made with powdered limestone) and a green fence. So baseball field was my first impression combined with the helmet and face, but I often have baseball on the brain so I'm biased.

Anansi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 1, 2013

Concept Theory
Aug 10, 2003
I hate to give another half asses update but I have tons of photos of the surrounding area of Sullivans Island location. I'm at work and on my phone and will load the pictures on imgur as soon as I can.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Can we maybe start marking the top of each post with location/cask/image in bold and color (different color for each location?) or something so the thread is easier to sift through when building a wiki or looking for all info regarding one clue? And maybe add this idea to the OP as a standard and we can edit our posts before this all gets out if hand.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Kingnothing posted:

Can we maybe start marking the top of each post with location/cask/image in bold and color (different color for each location?) or something so the thread is easier to sift through when building a wiki or looking for all info regarding one clue? And maybe add this idea to the OP as a standard and we can edit our posts before this all gets out if hand.

I'm planning on going through and writing a summary post for everything up to this point tonight, I have it all written on a hard copy so its just a matter of typing it, same with the to do list.

Also I like your idea so I'll add it to the op!

Also the wiki should be official tomorrow or Monday depending on how much free time I have. I've also had a few goons email me for help with one so thank you goons!

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?

ZombieLenin posted:

Also, any idea what the mans fingers, if anything, mean? That stuck out to me 4 and 3 fingers visible.

It sort of reminds me of the old diddy: "Here is the church, here is the steeple, look inside and see all the people". I agree that it certainly seems very deliberate, either for a particular shape, or for the positioning of the fingers for a numerical clue.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, there's one thing about the cask 6 picture that I keep seeing. I see it easier when the image is zoomed out, so this is not clickable:

That, to me, looks like the head of a snake or some other reptile. The gemstone as the eye, and a fang below it.

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Cask 6/St.Augustine,FL
Is it possible that the statue head thing is actually just saint Augustine?

Part of me just thinks that's way too easy though.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I know we have a few people thinking verse 7 is in San Francisco, but here's my reasoning behind why verse 7 HAS to be New Orleans:

First, let's recite the whole thing. Again.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet
Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see
Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high
Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Now, let's break this down.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet

This is more than likely referring to the Cafe Du Monde. For those who have never been to New Orleans, The cafe Du Monde is located directly in front of a stone wall. The smell of the beignets covered in powdered sugar and cafe au lait will literally fill the air with an overwhelming sweetness.

Not far away
High posts are three

This is likely referring to St. Louis Cathedral. It is also located close to the cafe and has three spires.

Education and Justice
For all to see

There are two buildings; one on each side of the cathedral. The one on the left is called the Cabildo. This was used as a courthouse for the Louisiana Supreme Court. It is now a museum. The building on the right is called the Presbytere. This building was ALSO used by the Louisiana Supreme Court. It is now a museum as well.

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

I haven't quite figured this part out. Maybe it has to do with the bells from the cathedral that ring.

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

The street running next to the Cabildo is St. Peter St.; and Mark Twain wrote about Saint Peter. If you follow it in the jewels' direction on the painting (which is directly overhead, or twelve o clock in the picture), it takes you straight to Armstrong Park. This would explain the "but first across" part.

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

I haven't figured this part out yet, but I'm working on it. It might have something to do with the statues in the park. Or perhaps it could just be a riddle for the long straight path (giant pole) and how far you have to travel to get there (giant step).

I'm pretty sure this means the intersection of N. Rampart & St. Peter. I think the tall light posts are the "giant pole" & the "giant step" is crossing the intersection. This brings us directly to Louis Armstrong Park.

From here, the verse is finished and we need to analyze the picture to pin-point the location within the park.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 2, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
So I didn't see anything obvious at Longfellow Park, but man the site is exactly what you'd expect.

Down by the stairs there is a monument to Longfellow with a bust of him, as well as a cast of characters behind him. There are columns and greek looking things, but no greek figures or references to antiquity.

The park itself is shaped exactly like the painting, and the area where the stairs/bust are aligns with the location of the box she's holding. http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/dc_french/longfellow/dcfrench_longfellow.html

The star may be a red herring, or it could be a location to dig in the hoop, but the directions are really really ambiguous and I need help deciphering them. I'm not sure where to start, and what direction to take steps from.

The entire thing is near Harvard, it's near (right across the river) where people pass the Colosseum. The Paul revere stuff all matches up, and the park is lined by lamps.

The only thing is that you cannot see Eliot House from here, but who knows whether you could in the 80s? Or possibly at night when it's all lit up. Argh.

I really feel like this is it, if you went there you'd know what I mean. It's a quiet little park - burying anything in the heart of the city would be very very difficult. You can dig here, and there are a few "middle" places it could be.

|_| there are benches along side the bust like this, one of my theories is that it's right between everything in the center, since no VERY specific location is given (like the Cleveland one).

xie fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 1, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

quote:

The location is thought to be Saint Augustine, FL

Verse 9
The first chapter
Written in water
Near men
With wind rose
Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence
At the base of a tall tree
You can still hear the honking
Shell, limestone, silver, salt
Stars move by day
Sails pass by night
Even in darkness
Like moonlight in teardrops
Over the tall grass
Years pass, rain falls.

These two lines jumped out at me. There's something different about them. Both "wind" and "rose" are words that could mean so many different things. The grammar of "near men / with wind rose" feels like a clue to which alternate meaning is the intended one.

wezyap
Jul 29, 2005

A sexually satisfied ninja is less likely to try to kill you.
I havent a lot to contribute with, but I have made a small application that implement the same algorithms as used in MRI scans to enhance subtile details (Median filter, Unsharpmask filter and Contrast Limited Adaptive Histogram Equalization), here is an example:

Before

After

maybe it helps, probably not

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

So I didn't see anything obvious at Longfellow Park, but man the site is exactly what you'd expect.

Down by the stairs there is a monument to Longfellow with a bust of him, as well as a cast of characters behind him. There are columns and greek looking things, but no greek figures or references to antiquity.

The park itself is shaped exactly like the painting, and the area where the stairs/bust are aligns with the location of the box she's holding. http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/dc_french/longfellow/dcfrench_longfellow.html

The star may be a red herring, or it could be a location to dig in the hoop, but the directions are really really ambiguous and I need help deciphering them. I'm not sure where to start, and what direction to take steps from.

The entire thing is near Harvard, it's near (right across the river) where people pass the Colosseum. The Paul revere stuff all matches up, and the park is lined by lamps.

The only thing is that you cannot see Eliot House from here, but who knows whether you could in the 80s? Or possibly at night when it's all lit up. Argh.

I really feel like this is it, if you went there you'd know what I mean. It's a quiet little park - burying anything in the heart of the city would be very very difficult. You can dig here, and there are a few "middle" places it could be.

|_| there are benches along side the bust like this, one of my theories is that it's right between everything in the center, since no VERY specific location is given (like the Cleveland one).

that's interesting...didntou take any pictures?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Could the red door shape in the New York picture be the original world trade center viewed from an angle where one building is occluded by the other? One of the only places that would be the case is Brooklyn around Coffee Park.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 1, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

More thoughts on verse 9. It almost feels like this poem was written by a different person than the others. The cadence is different. The rhythm seems to serve another purpose: maybe the syllables make up numbers. Syllable count by line:

This is also one of only two poems that use only mono- and duo-syllabic words. Verse 12 is the other.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Rondette posted:

that's interesting...didntou take any pictures?

Nothing good, but I work there so I'll pop over at night to see if it looks different. I just had my iPhone, and there was nothing I could really take a good picture of. There's lots of subtle things, nothing perfect or "aha!" but looking back, it seems like the Cleveland one had some very specific things, but the Chicago one was more vaguely pointing at the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Devyl posted:

I know we have a few people thinking verse 7 is in San Francisco, but here's my reasoning behind why verse 7 HAS to be New Orleans:
Wow.

This is definitely worth checking into, Giant pole almost certainly is a reference to something in the park, though that thing may or may not actually still be there.