Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh what the gently caress. In my current game I'm trying to destabilize Lotharingia in order to take the last holy site the Norse religion is missing, so I figured I'd go and try to kill the king. His name is King Louis II 'the Cruel' of Lotharingia, so I figured this should be easy to find backers for my plot, but no. Despite being a cruel depressed homosexual kinslayer, he is loved by all of his vassals except one, the mayor of a small city no one gives a poo poo about. What the gently caress Crusader Kings :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Raiding is weird and annoying.

It's tied to religion. Fine. Easily modded such that all religions may Raid.

Raiding means you need to siege down the province in question. So small places can't raid due to lack of numbers, especially since Mercenaries can't do it for you(Mercs are specifically disallowed from Raiding).

And no-one has any ships in 867, so travelling is hard to do.

So how does a small realm get to do anything fun?

You don't need to siege, look on the province screen see the line on the loot bar? Everything to the right of that bar can be looted without a siege.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

NewtGoongrich posted:

I seem to have wandered into the Paradox Forums. Why is it that these sorts of posts are always from EENs (Eastern European Nationalists) and never from, say, a German or a Frenchman.

That's a post from the Paradox forums.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hey, I was sorting old emails and I found I still have an EU3 Chronicles code for which I never got around to find a giftee. Since the sequel is only a few months away I'd rather it gets some use, there should be people in this thread who never bought it:

[snagged]

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 1, 2013

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

NihilCredo posted:

Hey, I was sorting old emails and I found I still have an EU3 Chronicles code for which I never got around to find a giftee. Since the sequel is only a few months away I'd rather it gets some use, there should be people in this thread who never bought it:

[used]

Thanks! I had been waiting for a sale to buy it.

e: I came here to post an actual question. The water tiles on my map are completely black except around the coasts. I have a feeling this has something to do with the flat map mod, but the game won't seem to run when I activate that mod. Is there a newer version available?

NewtGoongrich fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 1, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So I thought to myself that conquering the world is great fun but running an empire is terrible boring. So I decided to play a loyal republic sidekick to the eastern emperor. In order to give the AI a little headstart I played the first emperor myself and ruler created him as a strong, genius lunatic. Except appointing my horse to the council and banning pants lunatic was barely noticeable. I went a little overboard and mended the shism then invaded and destroyed the HRE after they backed out of a matrilinear marriage for their heir they inexplicably had agreed to. The king of France was more forthcoming. So at the age of 74 I finally die, my genius heir takes over, crushes all rebellions with ease and I switch to the other son I had set up with a trade republic.
At first everything seemed but then he starts revoking the titles of everyone who looks at him sideways. That caused more plots of course and more revoked duchies. In the end he had -110 relationship just from excess duchies and everyone either wants me to run the place or just leave outright. Well that is easily fixed. I load up as my brother, hand out the extra titles and all the factions disband. Of course the moment I let him run on his own again he starts all over again. In the end I had him execute all twenty nobles he imprisoned and the murdered him. His six year old son is pretty docile, the realm looks surprisingly stable and I am his regent. Maybe He'll actually manage to reunite Rome?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I tried messing around with the ruler designer, but I can't find a way to add a dynasty flag like divine blood, only character traits like Strong, Proud, etc..

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Annath posted:

So, I tried messing around with the ruler designer, but I can't find a way to add a dynasty flag like divine blood, only character traits like Strong, Proud, etc..

Divine Blood is only a potential trait you need to mod it in.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rumda posted:

Divine Blood is only a potential trait you need to mod it in.

So how do you do that? Is it as simple as editing a text file, or do potential traits require more advanced modification?

farfidnuggin
May 9, 2009
Sorry if this has been covered in the thread, but is there a reason my game crashes when I hit 'Saved Games'? I can't seem to register my CD key with the Paradox forums to get access to the Tech Support board, and I'm getting pretty frustrated with them.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

farfidnuggin posted:

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread, but is there a reason my game crashes when I hit 'Saved Games'? I can't seem to register my CD key with the Paradox forums to get access to the Tech Support board, and I'm getting pretty frustrated with them.

If you have a very, very old installation of CK2 that hasn't been patched or updated since uh, The Republic I think, then your exe wouldn't be large address aware. If, on top of that, you have a significant number of really bloated late-date savegames, that might be doing it. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Where can I find the Ruler Designer files so I can mess around with cost values for traits?

Also Paradox I wish your folders weren't so rude to me:

MotU fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 1, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

MotU posted:

Where can I find the Ruler Designer files so I can mess around with cost values for traits?

At the end of ck2\common\defines.lua

farfidnuggin
May 9, 2009

Kersch posted:

If you have a very, very old installation of CK2 that hasn't been patched or updated since uh, The Republic I think, then your exe wouldn't be large address aware. If, on top of that, you have a significant number of really bloated late-date savegames, that might be doing it. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

I culled a bunch of old saves and did a renistall for good measure, and this seems to have done the trick. I appreciate it!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there any way to stop your capital from going to an heir in Gavelkind? I loving hate Gavelkind enough already (first thing I do every game is get rid of it), but having to pour cash and tech into a different capital every time your ruler dies is ridiculous. Worst comes to worst, I'll just console command to kill off all my heirs.

On that note, is there any way I can edit the game so that pagans don't have to use it? I'd take it out of the game if I could, it always gave poo poo out with no rhyme or reason and it just is not fun.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Here's a question for anyone who's not a total noob like me:

Playing as a Viking, whenever I conquer a non-Norse county I wind up with non-Norse culture holdings. I understand that much. What can I do about it, though? Does converting the province's religion also convert the holdings? Do I have to do something manually to convert them? I'm assuming there's something I can do about it because there's one of those big "important information warning" bubbles up top that lists all of them.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I know there's eventual Scandinavian culture events but do the Norse in Russian territories get similar events? Thinking of starting a Rurik game.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zurai posted:

Do I have to do something manually to convert them? I'm assuming there's something I can do about it because there's one of those big "important information warning" bubbles up top that lists all of them.

This part of your question makes me think your problem isn't non-norse holdings, but non-feudal holdings. If your character controls cities or temples as a feudal lord you get that warning. All you have to do is right click the holding create a new vassal for it if it's not the capitol. If it is the capitol, though, you either have to revoke a castle to make that the new capitol or give the county away to an existing baron of a castle.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ahh, that makes sense. Like I said, total noob :downs:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Rejected Fate posted:

So I know there's eventual Scandinavian culture events but do the Norse in Russian territories get similar events? Thinking of starting a Rurik game.

I don't think so. There's only events for Norse -> Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Norman in oldgods_culture_conversion.txt.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
What do the Norse in the British Isles convert into?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Nightblade posted:

I don't think so. There's only events for Norse -> Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Norman in oldgods_culture_conversion.txt.

Huh, that's odd. Would I have to hope for a culture event of a vassal/home province to cause me to turn Russian?

...Seems like an odd thing for Paradox to miss out. If I were Russian I'd want some event to pop up to make them turn Russian at some point.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

a bad enough dude posted:

What do the Norse in the British Isles convert into?

Norse outside of Scandinavia will stay Norse unless converted through other means.

e; Rurik's descendants seems to become Russian most of the time in my experience at least.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Rejected Fate posted:

Huh, that's odd. Would I have to hope for a culture event of a vassal/home province to cause me to turn Russian?

...Seems like an odd thing for Paradox to miss out. If I were Russian I'd want some event to pop up to make them turn Russian at some point.

You can still switch culture to the culture of your capital province as a viking, just like normal, it's just that there are only manual choices to take for Swedish, Norwegian and Danish culture.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
The future Duke of Athens: Dad has no balls, mum has no eyes. 2 days old and already had a stammer. At age 16 he's a talentless, gluttonous homosexual. gently caress's sake :doh:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
What are the advantages of accepting a cultural shift from Norse to Norwegian, etc.? I have only a single Norwegian province, the rest are all Norse, is it just that they will start becoming Norwegian and I will eventually need to to as well to remain the same culture as my provinces?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Experto Crede posted:

The future Duke of Athens: Dad has no balls, mum has no eyes. 2 days old and already had a stammer. At age 16 he's a talentless, gluttonous homosexual. gently caress's sake :doh:

Kill him, try again? Seems to be the default strategy for terrible heirs in my games.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So it turns out marrying my Niece wasn't a good idea.

3 generations of inbred, slow ugly people. :ohdear:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Stop using this gameplan:

And maybe you won't get this:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Doing a for fun game, what is the best way to make an Immortal trait and make it so the character stops aging in the portrait as well?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Captain Trips posted:

Kill him, try again? Seems to be the default strategy for terrible heirs in my games.

Well by good chance, the whole thing resolved itself.

My granddaughter turned out to be amazing in every stat. She was her father's heir, until he had a son. The son had a fatal "accident" at the age of two days. My son was then excommunicated by the Patriarch on my orders and imprisoned by me. He was then castrated, released and then re-imprisoned. Then he was executed and my granddaughter married off matrilineally to some commoner with decent stats.

That's how you get in the annals of history people :colbert:

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Is there anything I can do to convert or culture flip the Varangian commander? When landless, I don't have the option as Emperor to demand conversion, but if I landed him could I? If I did convert him, would it affect his successor?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pimpmust posted:

I've formed the Iberian Empire but nothing is integrating and half the kingdoms that were integrating into Andalusia started reseting and then stopped working entirely, this loving mechanic man :iiam:

About the kingdoms integrating into Andalusia: You now control the de jure empire of all the Spanish Kingdoms, so of course they stop being absorbed into Andalusia and reverting the counter to zero.

And there should not be any kingdom integrating into the Hispanic empire, because it seems like you don't have a single kingdom outside of Spain that you control every holding of. For Italy you miss Cagliari, for Burgundy you miss parts of the duchy of Upper Burgundy, for Aquitaine you miss Melgueil, for Sicily you miss Gaeta and Kroton, and for Lotharingia you miss Saintois. Note that you need to control all holdings, so merely having all counties is not enough, make sure to control all baronies in these counties as well.

As an emperor you mostly stop to assimilate duchies into kingdoms, although I believe there are special circumstances where you do assimilate duchies, but this is very rare.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
I'm finding training grounds/culture specific buildings to always be locked off, demanding that I build castle walls. I already have castle walls level I/II. Are they demanding a specific level of castle walls and just not saying that or is a bug?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NewtGoongrich posted:

I seem to have wandered into the Paradox Forums. Why is it that these sorts of posts are always from EENs (Eastern European Nationalists) and never from, say, a German or a Frenchman.

Because the German and French have recent history to get nationalistically pedantic about.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm still having problems getting a custom map from scratch to work properly-- I made an album of the provinces, rivers, terrain, topology and world_height_map images from the map mod, if that can be of any help. At this point the map crashes at 'Calculating Paths' and I cannot suss out why.

default.map currently reads as
code:
max_provinces = 9
sea_starts = 5
definitions = "definition.csv"
provinces = "provinces.bmp"
positions = "positions.txt"
terrain = "terrain.bmp"
rivers = "rivers.bmp"
terrain_definition = "terrain.txt"
heightmap = "topology.bmp"
tree_definition = "trees.bmp"
continent = "continent.txt"
adjacencies = "adjacencies.csv"
climate = "climate.txt"
region = "region.txt"
static = "static.txt"

# Define which indices in trees.bmp palette which should count as trees for automatic terrain assignment
tree = { 3 4 7 10 }
major_rivers = 
{ 
}
and adjacencies.csv is just
code:
From;To;Type;Through;-1;-1;-1;-1;Comment
6;8;portage;5;-1;-1;-1;-1;Chesapeake-Delaware
-1;-1;;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1
What the hell is causing the error? :psyduck:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

My king REFUSES to die. I was excommunicated at age 45 and knew my life needed to end soon. At 60 I marched into battle, crushed, and came out ok! At 65 I measles started spreading like wildfire... I contracted them! And then got rid of them! He then immediately got pneumonia! And it went away! Murchad the Old is invincible!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So, what makes your sons go off and join the Varangians? I've heard people talk about it happening but do they just decide to go and do it on their own?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

MotU posted:

Doing a for fun game, what is the best way to make an Immortal trait and make it so the character stops aging in the portrait as well?

I have one for you;

Some upload site google spat out.

It triggers with "/event 1000000" but not on it's own. Currently it costs a major prestige and piety hit to use but that's fairly trivial to take out, just dig around in the .txt file.

e. didn't make it myself, but I couldn't find the original author any more and I changed basically everything except the immortality icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm still having problems getting a custom map from scratch to work properly-- I made an album of the provinces, rivers, terrain, topology and world_height_map images from the map mod, if that can be of any help. At this point the map crashes at 'Calculating Paths' and I cannot suss out why.

default.map currently reads as
code:
max_provinces = 9
sea_starts = 5
definitions = "definition.csv"
provinces = "provinces.bmp"
positions = "positions.txt"
terrain = "terrain.bmp"
rivers = "rivers.bmp"
terrain_definition = "terrain.txt"
heightmap = "topology.bmp"
tree_definition = "trees.bmp"
continent = "continent.txt"
adjacencies = "adjacencies.csv"
climate = "climate.txt"
region = "region.txt"
static = "static.txt"

# Define which indices in trees.bmp palette which should count as trees for automatic terrain assignment
tree = { 3 4 7 10 }
major_rivers = 
{ 
}
and adjacencies.csv is just
code:
From;To;Type;Through;-1;-1;-1;-1;Comment
6;8;portage;5;-1;-1;-1;-1;Chesapeake-Delaware
-1;-1;;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1
What the hell is causing the error? :psyduck:

Add a major river entry to adjacencies.csv and default.map, delete your \map\ cache and try it again.

• Locked thread