Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
:siren: I, OneTrueBru, oath one Veteran Sergeant Raphael from GW for the month of June. :siren:

I'll almost definitely add more to this, but I'm unsure how much dark green paint I have left so I'm playing it safe/being a lazy bastard until I can order a new bottle. :v:

Leperflesh posted:

Double-posting just to say PLEASE CHECK YOUR POINTS!

I noticed that I'm missing the point for "Aww, a baby!, I did declare it along with my original oath picture but I completely forgot to mention it on completion. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!
:siren:I oath 1x Drop pod from games workshop:siren:

Matgash fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 1, 2013

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren:I, TheBlobThing, being of pretty drat unsound mind, oath to paint the following::siren:

A fire-team of Death Korps of Krieg from Forgeworld and 2 gangers from House Escher from Games Workshop, for Necromunda.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the Necromunda gangers, as I didn't even paint a test model before I began. Oh well, I might as well bumble through it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All right all right I get it. Even if you did change it, other people would just get annoyed anyway.

But in my defense it's not about procrastination anymore so much as it's about these obviously terrible hellspawn-

Anyhoo, I should have my oath pic up soon. My first 40k stuff in ages, kinda excited!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^^ make sure to keep your spaceman toys away from that bubble mower! could be dangerous!

I'm going backwards through the thread and collecting photos from everyone to put them into a massive slideshow for the judges to look through. I should be finished by the end of the day.

Holy hell I'm glad I decided to put an extra point for having participants put their name in their final photo. It would take a lot more time to edit them into 75-80% of the photos that have been submitted.

On the topic of user names in the completed photos:
This month, anyone who hasn't put their name into their final photo is getting their user name in the fantastic Times New Roman font! Next time, it'll be Comic Sans! After that, Wing Dings! So if you want to not only get that free extra point and avoid the embarassment of a cheesy font, put your name in your final picture.

On resizing photos:
Some of the completed photos are absolutely HUGE (like, 3600px wide), so I'm using a Photoshop action that resizes photos to 800px wide for the ones that are too big (over 1200 or so) - don't worry, the photos have Unsharp Mask applied to them (at level 40, for you PS-users) so they're not fuzzy but they're also not too sharp or 'jaggy'.

I should have resized the photos to about 1280, but I've done the editing on a bunch at 800 already so I'm going to do all the May photos at this size, if the photos are over 1024px wide. Many of the completed photos submitted are 600 or even 500px across, which to me is small but if you look at blogs and stuff online that's about the right size to look at pictures before clicking through to see the ultra-close-up pictures over 2000px wide, where you can make out individual hair-strokes from a brush, or dots of paint from an airbrush.

Initially I wasn't bothered about the size of the photos, but for the people that are going for judging points, it's unfair if some people have 3000px wide images (the equivalent of taking a loupe or magnifying glass to a model if it were in your hands) and others have a picture 400px wide. I'm sure no one had any intentions of taking advantage and just posted links to their original images, but we'll need to implement something to make sure everyone gets a fair shake.

So, what that means if you use the various free image hosting solutions:
Imgur:
if you upload something straight from your camera, use the 'Large Thumbnail' BB code, which provides a link to a 640px-wide picture. If you edit your photos, resize it to 1024px or less wide, upload it and feel free to use the 'Original' BB code Imgur provides.
Google Photos/Picasa: open the image in your album and just right-click and 'Copy image URL', the photo will be between 600-800px across
Flickr: find the image in your album, right-click and select 'View Large' size, then right-click and 'Copy image URL', the photo will be 1024px across
Photobucket: use Imgur.com instead, as mentioned previously Photobucket pictures can disappear from your post for some reason. Imgur doesn't require signing up, but if you do your previous pictures are saved and can be organized into albums.
LPix: I'm not familiar with this site but it's free and unlimited to use for SA goons

Using these sizes also helps keep the thread browsing easy, with no need for the 'timg' tag and no pictures going wider than the thread tables.

If you don't edit your photo sizes and just upload the original photo you've taken, I'll resize them to to 640 as mentioned above, but I won't do any editing other than that. If your photo is smaller than that, I won't be blowing it up to that size (because it'll look worse). You have plenty of opportunity for editing your pictures to make them look their best (Google even does 'Auto-Enhance'!) so I will leave that to you guys and gals.

Number of completed photos
Some folks seem perfectly happy to post a single picture of their final work, and others are either quite proud (and rightly so!) or going all-out for the judge's attention and posting several extra angles of their models. Also, by the nature of the Detektuv's Jurnal job of posting at least 3 WIP photos, May entries have a LOT of photos to work through - that was by design, to get this particular bonus out of the way so we can encourage new participants without forcing them to do some new technique they're not comfortable with (in this case, they're just tasked with taking 3 extra pictures to get their points). Of course, future months may still have the WIP photos because of the option to do previous Detektuv's Jurnals, so we expect to see this come up in future completed oath posts as we move on through the rest of the oathing season.

However, I'm a bit worried that some people trying to get the best out of their judging may take things too far when posting individual close-ups of their final work, so if I spot this next month I'll start limiting the number of pictures for the judges' slideshow, probably something like the first 4 or 5 pictures in a completed post, plus a picture for the Detektuv's Jurnal, and that's it. We'll see how this progresses.

I've also randomized the order of the photos, so it's more fair for judging purposes. Your names are in the first photo of your photo 'set', followed by any extra pictures you took and also by the WIP pictures, which are up for their own judging and should be pretty obvious for the judges to distinguish from the final photos, so they can judge the Detektuv's Jurnal pictures.

Now to carry on with prepping the slideshow!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 1, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
krushgroove, they can also use lpix to host them. It gives a thumbnailed option as soon as you upload, it's free, SA users have an unlimited amount of uploads with it too.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
I Oath 3 Stormcallers, Artificer General Nemo and Caitlin Finch for June
From Privateer Press

So many lightning rods

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

bunnyofdoom posted:

krushgroove, they can also use lpix to host them. It gives a thumbnailed option as soon as you upload, it's free, SA users have an unlimited amount of uploads with it too.

OK, I've added to the above post and will put all that into the OP. Don't have time to sign up for that myself right now, but can you tell me the various image size options please?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

krushgroove posted:

OK, I've added to the above post and will put all that into the OP. Don't have time to sign up for that myself right now, but can you tell me the various image size options please?

Fairly basic. You can either do the original size of your photo

Or you can thumbnail it like this

Max file upload size is 512k

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
I, Nathonicus, Oath these five members of Kaplan Technical Services, from Infinity, for the Month of June

I'm going to try for the detectuv's journal on these guys, as well as the basing bonus, themed group, and I'll add the box art at the end. I love these models, and am stoked to paint them.

I just looked at the spreadsheet for this thing - drat, the judges and organizers have gone all out!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Regarding Detektiv's Jurnal, do I have to do it on every model I oath to count? Namely, can I oath 10 fantasy warriors as a themed group, paint the battle damage on 2 power armored troops for Infinity and get the points for everything?

Or can I just make one nicely wounded/scarred guy and call it a Journal?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pierzak posted:

Regarding Detektiv's Jurnal, do I have to do it on every model I oath to count? Namely, can I oath 10 fantasy warriors as a themed group, paint the battle damage on 2 power armored troops for Infinity and get the points for everything?

Or can I just make one nicely wounded/scarred guy and call it a Journal?

I believe it was clarified with last month's Jurnal, that it had to be at least one model from your oath.

edit: I mean, yes, one model is okay as I understand it, but you can do more than one.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Is paint chipping enough to qualify as battle damage?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Sorry to double post, but

I, YF19pilot, do hereby oath the following: ten (10) Zvezda Panzer III G tanks (1/100 or 15mm) and one (1) Battlefront FoW Panzer IV H (also 15mm) for the month of June.

Let me know if the picture is okay. I know it's a little dark, but the picture with better lighting was kinda blurry, hard to read the date.

edit:

TheBlobThing posted:

I imagine paint chipping is considered 'wear' and not proper battle damage. But I'll leave that up to the judges.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 1, 2013

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

:siren: I Hereby oath 5 Mantic Veer-Myn Stalkers for June :siren:

My cell camera is garbage so let me know if I need to resubmit because I can do so whenever the wife returns with the camera.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TheBlobThing posted:

Not really, that's more 'weathering' - battle damage would be laser/lasgun damage, alien scratches, bullet holes, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PST posted:

With that in mind, for spaceships (as they're the least intimidating minis on that list to start painting), are they okay to oath given lack of bases to flock/sand?

You can oath anything that qualifies as a miniature or scale model, including terrain. If your model does not normally get based, then you get the point for basing for free.

OneTrueBru posted:

I noticed that I'm missing the point for "Aww, a baby!, I did declare it along with my original oath picture but I completely forgot to mention it on completion. Sorry!

Woops! Thanks for catching that. You're all set now.

krushgroove posted:

I'm going backwards through the thread and collecting photos from everyone to put them into a massive slideshow for the judges to look through. I should be finished by the end of the day.

Every original oath post and every oath complete post is linked from my spreadsheet; you might find it more convenient than trying to troll through the thread.

YF19pilot posted:

I believe it was clarified with last month's Jurnal, that it had to be at least one model from your oath.

edit: I mean, yes, one model is okay as I understand it, but you can do more than one.

This is correct. You only ever have to do a Detektuv's Jurnal challenge on at least one miniature. After all, we wouldn't want to penalize folks who choose to oath more than the minimum oath.

YF19pilot posted:

I, YF19pilot, do hereby oath the following: ten (10) Zvezda Panzer III G tanks (1/100 or 15mm) and one (1) Battlefront FoW Panzer IV H (also 15mm) for the month of June.

I have the brands/manufacturers for your models down as "Zvezda" and "Battlefront" but I'm not sure if that's right. Can you confirm?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath 5 Battle Mechaniks and an Agonizer from Privateer Press, a giant squid from Iron Wind Metals, and two skull... pillars of unknown make for the month of June.

Not a viking posted:

I, Not a viking, oath two Bretonnian knights of the realm from Games Workshop for the monthe of June

OneTrueBru posted:

I, OneTrueBru, oath one Veteran Sergeant Raphael from GW for the month of June.

Matgash posted:

I oath 1x Drop pod from games workshop

TheBlobThing posted:

I, TheBlobThing, being of pretty drat unsound mind, oath to paint the following:

Mt. ORourke posted:

I Oath 3 Stormcallers, Artificer General Nemo and Caitlin Finch for June From Privateer Press

nathonicus posted:

I, Nathonicus, Oath these five members of Kaplan Technical Services, from Infinity, for the Month of June

YF19pilot posted:

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I Hereby oath 5 Mantic Veer-Myn Stalkers for June

Accepted.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Leperflesh posted:

Woops! Thanks for catching that. You're all set now.

Thanks!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Battle damage, is it?

All right then, I, Fix, Oath to paint one Ariadnan Para-commando by Corvus Belli

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Leperflesh posted:

I have the brands/manufacturers for your models down as "Zvezda" and "Battlefront" but I'm not sure if that's right. Can you confirm?

He's right.

Battlefront do 'official' WWII 15mm scale minis, whereas Zveda are a Russian plastic kit company that launched a 15mm scale board/wargame a couple of years back called Art of Tactic, with the individual boosters being perfect for the FoW gamer and somewhere between 20-40% of the price Battlefront charge with no casting issues.

I sent Krushgroove a couple of Zveda kits in my box o'prizes.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Awwww, it's a baby!

I, Soma Soma Soma, oath 12 Necron Warriors, 5 Necron Lychguard, and 3 scarab bases from Games Workshop.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, oath a 10-man Dark Angels tactical squad from Games Workshop.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fix posted:

Battle damage, is it?

All right then, I, Fix, Oath to paint one Ariadnan Para-commando by Corvus Belli

You sick bastard. Let that poor little lady up you big bully.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have no idea what to paint this month. I was toying with some Eldar but I don't want to apply battle damage to my pretty elves. I'll have to examine my backlog for inspiration. :ohdear:

It'll probably be more orks.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I, Iris of Ether, oath to paint this squad of undead action heroes from CoolMiniOrNot:

These are from the 28mm Zombicide board game. From left to right, it's the undead versions of 'El Cholo', 'Claudia', 'Marvin', 'Chaz', and 'Nick'.

(Also, it's just one color of primer and nothing else. My primer really doesn't like to get into the cracks on this drat plastic. Even cleaned the models, too.)

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 1, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fix posted:

Battle damage, is it?

:golfclap:

(I hope you magnetized the wings)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I, Raphus C, Oath 10 Shoota boyz and 1 Trukk (All GW):

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ashcans posted:

I have no idea what to paint this month. I was toying with some Eldar but I don't want to apply battle damage to my pretty elves. I'll have to examine my backlog for inspiration. :ohdear:

It'll probably be more orks.

Even space elves can do battle damage and make it look not scruffy ;) when Fix ran the first oath thread, the very first months 'theme' was something like battle damage, or something very similar to it.. I did a unit of dire avengers and did the exarch like this:

The backstory being he'd lost an eye to an ork or something and had taken steps to reflect that on his helmet, something of a personalisation of his armour or something v:shobon:v

So it doesn't strictly speaking need to be traditional battle damage, just think outside the box :D

Oath pledge coming up.. just as soon as I format this picture..

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint: (6) Space Hulk Genestealers and (1) Assault on Black Reach Ork Nob for the month of June!

All GW, all 28mm. None have been primed yet.
For the Nob, I intend to do this month's Detektuv's Jurnal (also some WIP's) as well as a bit of a conversion (as part of the battle damage), for Double the Fun!

Conversion bits preview pic!

Edit: And here's a before-and-after of the conversion! (Note: head & base are just fitted into place, will be painted separately.)

Before:
After:

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 3, 2013

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I, Thundercloud, Oath to paint a Deathguard recon squad (Games Workshop sniper scout box with conversions), an Eldar Farseer (Games Workshop, released today), 3 Freighters (Ground Zero Games, somewhere around 1/3800 scale) and 5 Church Rack Frigates from Mongoose Publishing (around 1/3800 as well, just assuming space ship scale)

And a picture of the scouts as they are before the conversions start.

If I do counters, do I have to do the parts as an additional oath?

The Scouts will count for themed group (5 28mm miniatures). If I get the opportunity I will make the ships up to ten as well, but the major project this month will be getting the recon squad done. I will photograph the converting.

Related question, has the quality of my pictures improved to an acceptable level?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Indolent Bastard posted:

You sick bastard. Let that poor little lady up you big bully.

With a broken spine? You're mean. She needs to stay still. Her feet are already elevated and also broken.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
My Alternate Universe Oath:

I hereby Alternate Universe oath this Forgeworld Bloodthirster of Khorne [GW], to be completed by October 5th!

I'm not sure if it needs a timestamp, since it isn't limited to this month, but since I took the picture with my phone I couldn't really get the clock in there. If needs be I can take another, since I'm going to spend the entire weekend filling holes and greenstuffing the seams.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I, Dagon, oath 15 sprues worth of these mysterious ebayed ruined buildings

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, oath 15 sprues worth of this mysterious ebayed ruined buildings

Is that 28mm scale?

Is it the Pegasus Gothic ruins or something else?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Thundercloud posted:

Is that 28mm scale?

Is it the Pegasus Gothic ruins or something else?

It is 28mm, and it isn't pegasus. I'm not sure who makes it (its the same stuff as my alt. universe oath last month), as a friend bought it on ebay and gave it to me to paint.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I, Korwen, oath one Celestial Guard with Combi Rifle by Corvus Belli for the month of June

Going from painting something very large to something very small. Should be interesting.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, swear to paint 2 old-style Preta Hungries in the month of June! They are made by Corvus Belli for Infinity, 28mm scale.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 2, 2013

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I, lovestick, oath to paint 8 Battletech 'Mechs for the month of June! They are 6mm scale made by Ral Partha (I think).

lovestick fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I Signal, being of frail mind and full of self loathing, do oath the following models:
Three Auxbots, a converted Engineer, and a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre from Corvus Belli/Infinity in 28mm scale.
The Great Bears of Gallowswood and Two Kayazy Eliminators (minus one arm, unless it gets replaced in time) from Privateer Press/Warmachine in 28mm scale.
Sixteen Assault Marines, one of whom has been converted into a lightning-claw Chaplain, from Games Workshop/Epic in 6mm scale.

My lighting was rather bad, so here's a better shot:

All of these models will be part of their own theme group. I'll also probably end up doing some one-time bonus things, but I don't think I have to declare those now.

• Locked thread