Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
NYC

The Walking Dad posted:

Could the red door shape in the New York picture be the original world trade center viewed from an angle where one building is occluded by the other?

Possible, but unlikely.
That would put you either downtown Manhattan, near the Vietnam Vet memorial or somewhere in Brooklyn, Cobble Hill probably.

And while there is another heliport (whirring noise) near the Vietnam memorial, I don't see anything else that jumps out at me.

So far the most likely candidates for the grey giant seem to be the UN (it really is a gigantic grey slab) the Statue of Liberty (because the woman very obviously has lady liberty's face. though that might just be a general "this is supposed to be NYC" clue) and maybe the Chrysler building (because of the gargoyle head on the bird).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allta
Mar 28, 2011
cask 7/New Orleans

This cant all be a coincidence right?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

allta posted:

cask 7/New Orleans

That head in the corner (I think) is the horse head that used to be one all the poles in the French Quarter.

wezyap
Jul 29, 2005

A sexually satisfied ninja is less likely to try to kill you.

allta posted:

cask 7/New Orleans

A small detail from that painting:

Looks like PI + p

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Nah, that's the artist's signature. It's on all of them.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What country was image 5 associated with, and did that have anything to do with the solution? I know that image 4 was associated with Greece, and the cask was buried in the Grecian cultural garden in Cleveland.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

The Monkey Man posted:

What country was image 5 associated with, and did that have anything to do with the solution? I know that image 4 was associated with Greece, and the cask was buried in the Grecian cultural garden in Cleveland.

Ireland. I don't get the countries either but the list is on the front page of the wiki: (scroll to Summary)

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage

Edit: okay I guess a lot of these countries were important sources of immigration for the cities (Milwaukee=Germany, New Orleans=France, St. Augustine=Spanish). Still not sure where they're getting them assigned from. Chicago's should've been Poland.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

allta posted:

cask 7/New Orleans

The face of the clock is a series of concentric circles framed by a square. Jackson Square has the same layout. The flagpole interestingly lines up with the second hand on the clock, and might be the giant pole referred to in verse 7, but it seems too ordinary to be a landmark.

Could the little guy on the clock be swimming? Or could he represent the statue of Andrew Jackson somehow? I'd bet the bells represent important landmarks for the exact location.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fistgrrl posted:

Ireland. I don't get the countries either but the list is on the front page of the wiki: (scroll to Summary)

Edit: okay I guess a lot of these countries were important sources of immigration for the cities (Milwaukee=Germany, New Orleans=France, St. Augustine=Spanish). Still not sure where they're getting them assigned from. Chicago's should've been Poland.

As far as that goes, the fairy in the Charleston image looks vaguely African-American and has bracelets that vaguely resemble manacles. Slavery? There are a few places in Charleston still associated with slavery, such as the Old Slave Mart, etc.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?
Cask 7

Sorry if I missed it, but on this one, has anyone ventured a guess as to why the checker pattern on the background wall is totally straight on most of the left side of the picture, but majorly warped on the right side? It almost seems like a Magic Eye sort of thing.

Edit: Yah, the hand and mask totally are an outline of Louis Armstrong Park, and the blurring is probably the ponds around it. I'll try and get a lined up comparison pic.

The Adama fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 2, 2013

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

Sesq posted:

Could the little guy on the clock be swimming? Or could he represent the statue of Andrew Jackson somehow? I'd bet the bells represent important landmarks for the exact location.

Here's what he looks like at 400%.

I'm seeing diamond print leggings and a porkpie hat. Jockey? Mime?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Sesq posted:

It's the John McDonough statue in Lafayette Square.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

allta posted:

It is possible that the Cask 12 is wrong and isn't new york. The wiki and pretty much everywhere else I've seen lists the coordinates as new york but not in an exactly believable way.

The only way we would be able to confirm it was new york would be if we found the coordinates in the puzzle picture, which for this one is easier said than done.

I'll play around with the filters a bit and see if I can find it.

I'm to tied to see anything, but here is the inverted image which should make it easier for anyone willing to try:

I'd imagine its in the waves somewhere and it should give the coordinates to NewYork but possibly not!

See you tomorrow goons, I'll update the OP a bit then!

Sorry if it's been pointed out already, but the 3 window panels that have those patterns, they look just like the images used when checking for color blindness. I'm on my phone but I think I can see a 3 in the first panel.

Concept Theory
Aug 10, 2003
After showing the poem for the Sullivans Island location to one of my coworkers, he suggested reading the poem in reverse. It actually kinda makes sense that way. Any thoughts? Photos coming when I get off work.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Fistgrrl posted:

Yeah, some others make sense (Roanoke was the first English colony in the New World, San Francisco has a big Chinese population) but others don't (Boston should be Ireland, not Italy; the Middle Eastern one should be Detroit)

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Cask 7

Here we go.

And the street view of where the end of the mask handle terminates.

Running north, but first across

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Edit: Tables
Edit 2: More Pics

The Adama fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 2, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Devyl posted:

I know we have a few people thinking verse 7 is in San Francisco, but here's my reasoning behind why verse 7 HAS to be New Orleans:

First, let's recite the whole thing. Again.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet
Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see
Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Now, let's break this down.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet

This is more than likely referring to the Cafe Du Monde. For those who have never been to New Orleans, The cafe Du Monde is located directly in front of a stone wall. The smell of the beignets covered in powdered sugar and cafe au lait will literally fill the air with an overwhelming sweetness.

Not far away
High posts are three

This is likely referring to St. Louis Cathedral. It is also located close to the cafe and has three spires.

Education and Justice
For all to see

There are two buildings; one on each side of the cathedral. The one on the left is called the Cabildo. This was used as a courthouse for the Louisiana Supreme Court. It is now a museum. The building on the right is called the Presbytere. This building was ALSO used by the Louisiana Supreme Court. It is now a museum as well.

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

I haven't quite figured this part out. Maybe it has to do with the bells from the cathedral that ring.

In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

The street running next to the Cabildo is St. Peter St.; and Mark Twain wrote about Saint Peter. If you follow it in the jewels' direction on the painting (which is directly overhead, or twelve o clock in the picture), it takes you straight to Armstrong Park. This would explain the "but first across" part.

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

I haven't figured this part out yet, but I'm working on it. It might have something to do with the statues in the park. There's one of a group of people dancing, and one of them is taking a big step.

Or perhaps it could just be a riddle for the long straight path (giant pole) and how far you have to travel to get there (giant step).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=louis+armstrong+park&ie=UTF-8&ei=wpSqUbgFhObKAdK3gMgD&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

Look here, there is a giant smokestack near the park. Giant pole?

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

What is that place? Is that smokestack part of a crematorium? The building looks kind of like some kind of church.

Would that relate to the fact that the hand looks like some kind of zombie hand?

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
San Francisco

Wow, check this out: http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148488/1_Park

From this, the folks at the Wiki decided the cask was at Golden Gate Park, probably in the Japanese Tea Garden. There's no explanation of how they reached this conclusion, though.

Over in that forum, people noted that if you flip the Image 1, the Gh faces the right direction and the dragon map seems to better fit Golden Gate Park. This also has the advantage of putting the yin-yang symbol near the Asian Museum and Japanese Tea Garden, instead of across from them.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

plaguedoctor posted:

What is that place? Is that smokestack part of a crematorium? The building looks kind of like some kind of church.

Would that relate to the fact that the hand looks like some kind of zombie hand?

Holy poo poo, there is a performing arts center right next to the smoke stack. The raised zombie arm is holing up a performing mask. There is also a cemetary 2 blocks away. What is the giant step?

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 2, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

The Adama posted:

Cask 7

Here we go.

And the street view of where the end of the mask handle terminates.

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Edit: Tables
Edit 2: More Pics

Was that step there in the early 80s though? Everything looks somewhat recently renovated.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How tall you would have to be to step over the pole? It's probably too much of an idea, but can you see a clue about where the shadow of that pole would be at a set day and time of the year?

Google tells me - Giant Steps is the fifth studio album by jazz musician John Coltrane as leader, released in 1960 on Atlantic Records, catalogue SD 1311. His first album for his new label Atlantic, it is the breakthrough album for Coltrane as a leader, and many of its tracks have become practice templates for jazz saxophonists.[1][2] In 2004, it was one of fifty recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry.

Jazz musicians continue to use the Giant Steps chord progression, which consists of a peculiar set of chords that often move in thirds, as a practice piece and as a gateway into modern jazz improvisation.

Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Giant Steps" John Coltrane 4:43 <---

Giant Steps (composition)

"Giant Steps" is a jazz composition by John Coltrane, first appearing as the first track on the album of the same name (1960). The composition contains a rapid and improvised progression of chord changes through three keys (see Coltrane changes) shifted by major thirds, creating an augmented triad.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 2, 2013

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

The Walking Dad posted:

Was that step there in the early 80s though? Everything looks somewhat recently renovated.

I think "giant step" means that the cask is buried within one large stride of that pole, treasure map style. And the building is apparently an old firehouse, so assuming that pole is related to it, then it would be protected by whatever historical significance keeps them from tearing down the building.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Comstar posted:

It's probably too much of an idea, but can you see a clue about where the shadow of that pole would be at a set day and time of the year?

Well, I would guess the clock in the painting tells us. So either due north or due east.

Edit: To just throw stuff out to see what sticks, what if the hour hand on the clock is the pole, and the second hand represents the direction to step to dig for the cask, thus east.

Edit 2:
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

"Best of all, Louis Armstrong reunited with fellow members of the Hot Five(firehouse reference?) on the Mark Twain Riverboat."
http://voyagesextraordinaires.blogspot.com/2010/04/mark-twain-riverboat.html

The Adama fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 2, 2013

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The minute hand represents the pole. the hour hand is pointing at a "V". There is a notch in the lake directly south west of the pole. Go (4 feet 33 inches??) in that direction from the pole...and dig.

Conversely, someone who knows music read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltrane_changes and explain what it's talking about because it's all over my head. Considering we are IN a park dedicated to a Jazz Musician, there's no way that's a coincidence!

quote:

"Giant Steps"

The Giant Steps cycle is the culmination of Coltrane's theories applied to a completely new chord progression: Coltrane uses the Coltrane cycle in descending Major 3rd tonal transpositions in the opening bars and then ascending ii V I progressions separated by a major 3rd in the second section of Giant Steps. The second section is basically the inverse of the bridge section described in "Have You Met Miss Jones" above.

| I Coltrane Substitution Cycle| ii V | I Coltrane Substitution Cycle|
| BM7* D7 | GM7* Bb7 | EbM7* | Am7 D7 | GM7* Bb7 | EbM7* F#7 | BM7* |[citation needed]

Ascending/Descending ii V I progression separated by a Major 3rd (Tonal centers E♭ - G - B - E♭ - B)

| ii V | I | ii V | I | ii V | I | ii V | I | ii V :||[citation needed]
| Fm7 Bb7 | EbM7* | Am7 D7 | GM7* | C#m7 F#7 | BM7* | Fm7 Bb7 | EbM7* | C#m7 F#7 :||

A SeeChord chart.
SeeChord chart of "Giant Steps".

This diagram shows what scales are used for the different chords:

BMaj7

B Maj scale

D7 to GMaj7

G Maj scale

B♭7 to E♭Maj7

Eb Maj scale

Am7 to D7 to Gmaj7

G Maj scale

B♭7 to E♭Maj7

Eb Maj scale

F♯7 to BMaj7

B Maj scale

Fm7 to B♭7 to E♭Maj7

Eb Maj scale

Am7 to D7 to GMaj7

G Maj scale

C♯m7 to F♯7 to BMaj7

B Maj scale

Fm7 to Bb7 to E♭Maj7

Eb Maj scale

C♯m7 to F♯7

B Maj scale

Comstar fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 2, 2013

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

allta posted:

cask 7/New Orleans

Preservation reminds me of:

http://www.preservationhall.com/hall/virtual_tour/index.aspx
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=preservation+hall+new+orleans&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&ei=-KKqUbTNDovO9gTbgoHoDw&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

plaguedoctor posted:

I think the zombie style of the hand is to represent voodoo and its ability to bring people back from the dead. And where else is voodoo practiced more prevalent than New Orleans?

The Adama posted:

I think "giant step" means that the cask is buried within one large stride of that pole, treasure map style.

I thought this too, but then I thought maybe it's in reference to the distance, riddle style. Who knows, yet... Maybe both are right. Like I said, I'll be taking a ride out there next week unless another Goon closer (stuntcock is in N.O. I think?) can go check it out.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Comstar posted:

The minute hand represents the pole. the hour hand is pointing at a "V". There is a notch in the lake directly south west of the pole. Go (4 feet 33 inches??) in that direction from the pole...and dig.

Conversly, someone who knows music read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltrane_changes and explain what it's talking about because it's all over my head:

Could the giant step mean...in the water?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
That hand looks more like a werewolf than a zombie to me. And I doubt that the length of the track "Giant Step" enters into it- different sources can list song lengths by slightly different lengths.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Boston

Went out today to look for more clues, and I am feeling pretty good about this one being somewhere around the corner of Commonwealth and Clarendon.

If we read the riddle like this:

allta posted:

Verse 3
If Thucydides is
North of Xenophon
Take five steps
In the area of his direction
A green tower of lights
In the middle section
Near those
Who pass the coliseum
With metal walls
Face the water
Your back to the stairs
Feel at home
All the letters
Are here to see
Eighteenth day
Twelfth hour
Lit by lamplight
In truth, be free.

Walk north 5 blocks from the Boston Public Library in Copley Square ("Thucydides" and "Xenophon" as a previous poster pointed out)
Stop at the green lamppost ("A green tower of lights")
Not sure about "coliseum" but here I turned east and walked until I reached the block parallel to the John Hancock tower ("metal walls" maybe), which is the intersection of Commonwealth and Clarendon.
Right about here there are two adjacent apartment buildings, addresses 118 and 120 ("Eighteenth day/Twelfth hour", ignore the extra digits)
Stand with your back to the apartment buildings, facing north, and there is a red lamppost right in front of you ("Face the water/Your back to the stairs/Feel at home/.../Lit by lamplight")
Not sure about the "In truth, be free" line, but maybe has something to do with the statue in the same area. It claims the honored person was an "honest man".

The "All the letters" line also throws me off. I was hoping to see a mailbox in the area, but there isn't one. Maybe there was in 1982 though?

The illustration also seems to hint at this area.

See how all the large orbs are partially cut off, and all the small orbs are not? That looks pretty similar to the window design of the First Baptist Church, which is right next to apartments 118/120. The church might also be the castle-looking building on the box she's holding. Oh and my wife says the three windows at the top (big circle, two rectangles) resemble the overall shape of the illustration (woman + window).

Assuming this general area is correct, we still need to figure out exactly where to dig. I'm gonna have to read more about the casks that were already found to see how the finders were able to pinpoint a location. I imagine there are some important clues in the illustration that I'm not seeing.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Comstar posted:

Conversely, someone who knows music read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltrane_changes and explain what it's talking about because it's all over my head. Considering we are IN a park dedicated to a Jazz Musician, there's no way that's a coincidence!

Hundred percent agreed. Not sure what the exact answer is, but I hope we find out so we know what this guy thought was "too easy, that they would be solved within a month".

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Holy poo poo, that all matches up amazingly. Great observation about the partially cut off orbs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean some of this is just so ridiculously convoluted. How would anyone ever think it would be solved "within a month?" Especially back in the super early 80s without any of the sort of mind-sourcing available via the internet today?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

BonoMan posted:

I mean some of this is just so ridiculously convoluted. How would anyone ever think it would be solved "within a month?" Especially back in the super early 80s without any of the sort of mind-sourcing available via the internet today?

It's what super nerds did before the internet.

*edit* To avoid a double post, I have another reason why I think the picture has to be tied to New Orleans. If you look in the clock, it has the moon in the stars above the stone. New Orleans, aka 'The Crescent City', has water meter covers that look like this:

Although it's probably just a coincidence.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 2, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Cask 7

Here's the part of the New Orleans picture that I think might represent city blocks:

Also, is there any significance to the first and twelfth pictures being much narrower, with rounded tops?

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 2, 2013

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Puzzle designers always need to get their works tested in advance; things you think are obvious are difficult for other people and vice versa. I helped playtest a Web puzzle game for a friend. Some of the stuff I was stumped by he expected to be a breeze.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

The Monkey Man posted:

Here's the part of the New Orleans picture that I think might represent city blocks:

Also, is there any significance to the first and twelfth pictures being much narrower, with rounded tops?

It doesn't mean that they don't represent something else, but the warped areas on the background actually line up almost exactly with the bodies of water in Louis Armstrong park once you orient the main island with the hand.

On Cask 11
"Face the water(The Baptist Church?)
Your back to the stairs(Statue in the park across the street?)

Feel at home(Minister's living quarters entrance? Total guess on that one.)

All the letters
Are here to see
Eighteenth day
Twelfth hour
Lit by lamplight(Lamp above the smaller entrance, as well as one in between the church and the stairs)
In truth, be free."

Also, someone let me know if I'm sperging out too hard and making GBS threads up the thread. I'm just really diggin' this.

allta
Mar 28, 2011
^^^no your fine, any idea is worth posting sense were still trying to find that last piece we need!

Just a thought.

Also what if the time on the clock in the picture is supposed to indicate the time your supposed to be there to see something? IE church bells ringing, or where the top of the shadow for that pole is reaching?

allta fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 2, 2013

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps
Lemon Tiger wants someone to search here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

allta posted:

Just a thought.

Also what if the time on the clock in the picture is supposed to indicate the time your supposed to be there to see something? IE church bells ringing, or where the top of the shadow for that pole is reaching?

The clocks seem to usually correspond with the gemstone that the picture is for. In this case, it's turquoise, which is the birth stone for the month of December (hence why it's pointing at 12:00).