Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While I appreciate the effort, why do that when neither that Superman nor Doomsday are even in the N52? That should have been the AoS variant. Also nobody inks Jurgens like Brett Breeding did, Rapmund just doesn't do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

While I appreciate the effort, why do that when neither that Superman nor Doomsday are even in the N52? That should have been the AoS variant. Also nobody inks Jurgens like Brett Breeding did, Rapmund just doesn't do it for me.
I'm conflicted as well. On the one hand, the ton of variants celebrating the various incarnations of the character is a really neat idea. However, Superman is one of the characters they're MOST pushing the "this is a totally new Superman, 100% different, all those other ones are basically dead to us" angle with.

I'd like to hope that Adventures of Superman ends up outselling at least the Lobdell Superman book, if not Action Comics as well, so DC sees loud and clear people still dig the trunks. Hey, if DC can put Power Girl back in her old duds, maybe there's hope to slowly de-Lee-ify other costumes too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I honestly don't mind Superman's current trunkless suit, but reading adventures of superman made me really think about how much I actually do miss the trunks. There is just something about them. This might seem weird but it almost makes him feel more friendly and whimsical. The current suit is kind of stale and makes him seen more angry or more serious. Maybe it's just my nostalgia showing, but there really is something that makes his classic suit work.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I already miss the jeans.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

This might seem weird but it almost makes him feel more friendly and whimsical. The current suit is kind of stale and makes him seen more angry or more serious. Maybe it's just my nostalgia showing, but there really is something that makes his classic suit work.
The whimsical feeling is especially what makes it work because it makes him seem more god-like, in a sense. Some of the most powerful gods in history have appeared looking, frankly, ridiculous. One of the most powerful beings in the universe running around in a cape and circus strongman outfit fits into that surreal absurdity that just clicks. The new suit is just too busy, and to full of "purpose" (it being a kryptonian piece of nanotechnology with segmented armors and regal cuffs and collars) that so much about it feels like it's trying too hard. Honestly I wouldn't feel half as harsh on it if it lost the segments and the cuffs, but I'm getting the feeling DC thinks the outfit is all-or-nothing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The covers aren't in continuity. It's part of the 75 Years celebration promotion.
There should've been an electric blue suit one.

e: One has the old checkerboard top :allears:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 30, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Honestly, I always kinda dug the Supermullet. It's not the traditional Superman imagery, but something about it just works, probably that it's evocative of Jesus. It works more in posters or covers than in real action, though; it looks all cool and floaty, but if the shot isn't one of Superman just being powerful and weightless and super, then it can look a little doofy. (It also wasn't a mullet, it's just long hair. A mullet would be Superman's normal 'do, but with the hair out back grown long)

Clark Kent with long hair, on the other hand, is a whole different kettle of fish...

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno, you just complained about continuity on a variant cover. Here is your cane, you cranky old bastard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

Rhyno, you just complained about continuity on a variant cover. Here is your cane, you cranky old bastard.

Please, everyone knows to stay the gently caress off my lawn.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Action 21 felt very rushed for obvious reasons, but it was still a pretty fun issue, and Daniel did the best art of his career in this all-too-short arc. A shame that the streak of interesting issues will probably be broken next month with Lobdell's fill-in arc (which, according to the ad in the back, is a separate story yet somehow ties into his H.I.V.E. storyline over in the other book). The backup feature, continuing from last month, remained confusing and terrible

I wish Action would stay in the past for the main feature. We had 18 issues of Morrison writing Superman's backstory, and 3 issues of Diggle/Daniel filling in the year prior to what happened in Perez's run, and its all been infinitely more interesting than almost any of Superman's present-day adventures. Plus it seems you could mine a lot more stories out of "what happened the first time Superman met ___________?" than anything else.

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013

Space_Butler posted:

The backup feature, continuing from last month, remained confusing and terrible

How is it confusing? I've found it quite enjoyable, not amazing but a cool sorta sci-fi action story.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="Space_Butler" post="""]
I'd like to hope that Adventures of Superman ends up outselling at least the Lobdell Superman book, if not Action Comics as well, so DC sees loud and clear people still dig the trunks. Hey, if DC can put Power Girl back in her old duds, maybe there's hope to slowly de-Lee-ify other costumes too.
[/quote]

Ugh I hope that that's not the takeaway from that scenario if it happens. I may be in the minority here but I'll be quite happy to never see those stupid trunks again. Hated them ever since I was a child, and if DC hadn't gone overboard with the Electro Supes costume nonsense in 90's and instead just got rid of the trunks at that time I doubt they would have been around prior to the new 52.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't love the trunks, but I do hate how he looks without them. Too much blue. The costume shouldn't look like its trying to be taken serious. Batman can work cause he's in shadows so much, but Supes should look kinda cheesy. He has a giant red cape and blue bodysuit anyways, fighting the cheese-factor just calls attention to it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

I don't love the trunks, but I do hate how he looks without them. Too much blue. The costume shouldn't look like its trying to be taken serious. Batman can work cause he's in shadows so much, but Supes should look kinda cheesy. He has a giant red cape and blue bodysuit anyways, fighting the cheese-factor just calls attention to it.

The funny thing about the suit in Man of Steel is, in a production special they said it's the basic layer of armor that all Kryptonians wear and that's why red underwear doesn't fit the new aesthetic, but... shouldn't the most basic layer of any kind of full-body armor include groin protection? Some kind of chainmail-like briefs or some extra padding like the stuff around his torso would make perfect sense with that aesthetic, while it currently looks more like a stylized diving suit. For the first time in Superman history they have a logical reason for briefs and they didn't follow through with it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I don't miss the trunks. The Cavill suit gets it right. I actually hate the raised collar more.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
Cavill's suit has grown on me alot. Especially the S logo with the thick spine and flourishy serif.

The New 52 suit's collar annoys me too. I liked the Earth 2 variation though.

V :doh:

horsepeen fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 7, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

horsepeen posted:

Cavill's suit has grown on my alot. Especially the S logo with the thick spine and flourishy serif.

The New 52 suit's collar annoys me too. I liked the Earth 2 variation though.
You have an alot? I thought they were fictional! Even more amazing that Superman's costume has grown on it.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
Looks like comixology finally added Lex Luthor: Man of Steel as part of their giant Superman sale:
http://www.comixology.com/Lex-Luthor-Man-of-Steel-1-of-5/digital-comic/DIG004807

The rest of the sale:
http://www.comixology.com/Superman-Unchained-plus-Sale/comics-collection/1257

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

horsepeen posted:

Looks like comixology finally added Lex Luthor: Man of Steel as part of their giant Superman sale:
http://www.comixology.com/Lex-Luthor-Man-of-Steel-1-of-5/digital-comic/DIG004807

The rest of the sale:
I just bought Man of Steel last week from Amazon :negative:

Still spent about $30 on 99cent Superman comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait, Off the Chain is $5!? Ugh, I think I'm waiting for the price drop if people suggest it being okay.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, Off the Chain is $5!? Ugh, I think I'm waiting for the price drop if people suggest it being okay.
Not looking forward to your bonus interview and dumb ugly foldout? Especially digitally?

I thought it stank.
Snyder is weird. I can never count on which one of his books I'll like. I loved The Wake and today's Batman Zero Year issue but this did nothing.

I thought the art was horrible, or at least loving spotty.

edit: Oh, and if you hadn't heard, DC are reducing after two months now instead of one. :(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 12, 2013

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Yeah I was not feeling unchained at all. That stupid poster pull out and 1 page interview should not make a book 5 bucks. The story itself felt really disjointed though. I will say I think this is some of Jim lee's best art in a while.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

McSpanky posted:

The funny thing about the suit in Man of Steel is, in a production special they said it's the basic layer of armor that all Kryptonians wear and that's why red underwear doesn't fit the new aesthetic, but... shouldn't the most basic layer of any kind of full-body armor include groin protection? Some kind of chainmail-like briefs or some extra padding like the stuff around his torso would make perfect sense with that aesthetic, while it currently looks more like a stylized diving suit. For the first time in Superman history they have a logical reason for briefs and they didn't follow through with it.

When I ran track in high school, we all wore underarmour leggings/tights, and we wore trunks over that so we wouldn't be showing an embarrassing bulge to our classmates and parents. People wouldn't think Superman's trunks looked ridiculous if it was more clear that they serve the function of not flashing Superdick over the 6 O'clock news. Just don't draw them as underwear briefs for God's sake, draw a pair of trunks over his blue leggings like any athlete would wear and people will understand what it's for immediately.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 12, 2013

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not looking forward to your bonus interview and dumb ugly foldout? Especially digitally?

I thought it stank.
Snyder is weird. I can never count on which one of his books I'll like. I loved The Wake and today's Batman Zero Year issue but this did nothing.

I thought the art was horrible, or at least loving spotty.

edit: Oh, and if you hadn't heard, DC are reducing after two months now instead of one. :(

This is my first Superman comic ever, and they kick things off with some weird foldout that's hard to read and I'm afraid to lose. What the gently caress are they supposed to do with that when the TPB comes out?

As for the actual comic itself...it's okay? I have no idea, to be honest, since this my first time reading a superhero comic and I really wasn't sure what to expect. The artwork looks like of weird and it's hard to get a sense of what the gently caress is going on sometimes.

Maybe it gets better. We'll see next issue.

Anyways, I'm currently waiting on the Superman/Batman comic to start. Maybe that'll be a better introduction to comics, but I'm kinda nervous after this first foray.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

This is my first Superman comic ever

Really? There's a fantastic Superman sale on at Comixology you should check out.
Get All-Star Superman there to start with.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Anyways, I'm currently waiting on the Superman/Batman comic to start. Maybe that'll be a better introduction to comics, but I'm kinda nervous after this first foray.

Thanks to the new movie coming up and the hype got me back into Superman. The new Superman/Batman is bound to be better then the last Batman/Superman and I need some new Superman.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
So did anybody manage to not get their Superman Unchained ripped to poo poo? Because mine is ripped to poo poo.
And man what a terrible comic. I'm not really hype about setting Supermans next big fight against the Nuclearman with the loving Nagasaki bombing.
Also, what the gently caress was with Superman giving drones an okay?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only thing that I found interesting about Unchained is how it actually shows Clark blogging instead of just self-righteously bragging about quitting the Planet. Now if only they'd cover how in the world he's paying his half of the rent, that'd be interesting. Maybe the "Unchained" part is going to kick in when Clark just goes full Superdickery, pins Jimmy to a wall and tells him "gently caress you Olsen, you're paying for everything from now on!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Isn't half of the blog gossip stuff from that Cat chick? He gets those ad bux.

edit: From Superman a few months ago

Though who knows where Unchained takes place. Current Superman is only a day later than this, so it's not established that he'll take her up on it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 13, 2013

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013

The_Rob posted:

I will say I think this is some of Jim lee's best art in a while.

Which means its still poo poo. Under any other artist this could of been a fun starting issue but instead the line work makes the pages way to busy and even the giant stupid poster felt cramped, and the colouring seems like there was a sale on blue ink and DC weren't gonna turn that up. I actually found the story interesting enough to pick up the second issue (if it goes back to 2.99) even if the villain at the moment seems like evil Captain Atom.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'd have enjoyed the issue, and this storyline, a lot more if it made any kind of sense relative to what we've seen involving New 52 Superman's timeline. For example, Lois has gone back to being a street reporter in Superman, yet in this she's back to being super-editor of Planet media. This, despite Unchained clearly taking place at some point further than that since Clark has established his blogging. Plus, this whole "we've had a Superman working for us for 75 years" thing makes no sense given how absolutely terrified the US government was of a much, much, much weaker Superman in the early part of Morrison's origin run. And then there's the issue of Luthor's burns/scars suddenly gone now even though they're still over in Lobdells book.

I really didn't want to be so nitpicky with this but there were so many things that didn't line up with the other books that it all became too significant to ignore. A shame, since the dialogue and character interactions were otherwise pretty spot-on.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 13, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So that interview they crammed in their to charge extra for was also in this years FCBD issue. I don't know why DC is so dead set on irritating the people who actually buy this stuff.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Ugh that stupid poster is stupid and I hate it almost as much as I hate those stupid cardstock covers that are going to immediately get wrecked on a single re-read.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I have nothing really against Jim Lee's art, but rushed deadlines have basically crippled whatever it was that was appealing about his work in the first place. It's absolutely awful and the worst work I've ever seen him put forth. Get him off this book, stat.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
New Supergirl was pretty fun. I picked it up because 20 was so fun, and also a Super book not written by Lobdell. Kinda bummed that I can tell Nelson is being foreced to write poo poo for the next Super book crossover.

Oh, and Cyborg Superman looks so 90's I almost like ironically. Does that make me a bad person?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Looks like Action Comics is going to be on my pull list.

quote:

Writer Greg Pak is turning into DC Comics go-to Man of Steel, and as of today artist Aaron Kuder will join the scribe as the regular creative team on flagship series "Action Comics."

USA Today broke the news of the team who come onto a book still reeling from the early departure of writer Andy Diggle. And Pak spoke to the paper about his work on the title as well as this week's "Batman/Superman" #1 which tells the story of the World's Finest heroes first meeting in the New 52 continuity.

"Basically, I've fallen in love with this character all over again," he explained of Superman. "In fact, the first comic book I ever drew as a kid was a Superman thing. I was doing Superman fan fiction when I was 6 years old...For young children, Superman is your first introduction to superheroes and you love him. But as I've gotten older, I realized how resonant the whole story of Superman is and how his struggles actually reverberate with people at every age."

In "Action," the writer promised the book would live up to its title, saying, "Superman's gotta do crazy, huge things. At the same time, every step of the way in order for me to care and you to care, whatever Superman is going through has to resonate on that emotional level."

Kuder, who has recently started working on the Superman titles including a Villains Month entry for the Parasite after a stint on the Green Lantern line at DC, explained his own plans for the legendary monthly. "I am a huge fan of Greg's work and, as a person, he's a super nice guy. I mean, come on, it's freaking Superman!"

Details are light at this point on the focus of the story in "Action," but the team's first issue is expected to hit in November with issue #25. For more, see USA Today, and stay tuned to CBR News for more on Pak's DC Comics work.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeah, I'll give it a shot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Batman/Superman #1 ships tomorrow and if you're even slightly on the fence you should give in. It's the best looking comic I've read this year.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Agreed. It's gorgeous and shows a lot of promise, and the symmetry between Clark and Bruce that's a hallmark of the Superman/Batman title is executed in a much less hamfisted way than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I know that no one besides me gives a poo poo for Lobdell's plot on Superman but I just wanna get out of my chest the idea that H'el is the N52 Eradicator. :pseudo:

• Locked thread