Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Alterian posted:

I know some parents here do infant lead weaning and I was wondering if there is any difference between formula fed babies and breast fed babies. All the on line guides I've read assume you're breastfeeding.

Jasper is now a little more than 6 months so we're working on introducing foods. He absolutely does not like to be fed with a spoon. The only exception is baby oatmeal watered down with formula, but not a baby spoon, an adult sized spoon, so he can blow bubbles in it and laugh while he eats it.

He does seem to enjoy picking up avocado and apple slices and scraping them along his two bottom teeth. I figure he's enjoying feeding himself and the first stages of infant led weaning I might as well go with that method.

My wife and I started picking up squeezey bottles of food for Nathan at about that age. Things that looked like this

The original intent was that they were solid-ish food that was also easy to transport, but I think it may also have been an easier transition for him from sucking on bottles, to sucking on food pouches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Alterian posted:

I know some parents here do infant lead weaning and I was wondering if there is any difference between formula fed babies and breast fed babies. All the on line guides I've read assume you're breastfeeding.

Jasper is now a little more than 6 months so we're working on introducing foods. He absolutely does not like to be fed with a spoon. The only exception is baby oatmeal watered down with formula, but not a baby spoon, an adult sized spoon, so he can blow bubbles in it and laugh while he eats it.

He does seem to enjoy picking up avocado and apple slices and scraping them along his two bottom teeth. I figure he's enjoying feeding himself and the first stages of infant led weaning I might as well go with that method.

There's no difference. By 6 months we were formula feeding exclusively and it worked fine for us. Soft (boiled) carrots, baked sweet potato fries, things like that are a huge hit with him.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

shadysight posted:

The original intent was that they were solid-ish food that was also easy to transport

We love them because they make for a quick snack and are easy to transport, and easy for other people to use to feed her. We don't like giving them to her all the time, but we keep one or two in the diaper bag just in case. And it's really useful when she's going to be in the nursery at church, say, because the people there can feed her without much fuss or mess.

They're also fantastic at getting nutrition in our daughter when she's having teething pains. Or as a snack on an airplane landing or taking off (to help pop her ears) and so on and so forth.

Yes, I know, slight digression, but I must say, I absolutely love these pouches.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
The pouches are a big hit with our picky toddler, and a lot of them combine fruits and veggies. She calls them "squeezies." :3:

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Axiem posted:

We love them because they make for a quick snack and are easy to transport, and easy for other people to use to feed her. We don't like giving them to her all the time, but we keep one or two in the diaper bag just in case. And it's really useful when she's going to be in the nursery at church, say, because the people there can feed her without much fuss or mess.

They're also fantastic at getting nutrition in our daughter when she's having teething pains. Or as a snack on an airplane landing or taking off (to help pop her ears) and so on and so forth.

Yes, I know, slight digression, but I must say, I absolutely love these pouches.

Chris went through a phase where he didn't want to be spoon fed applesauce or yogurt anymore so those squeeze pouches bridged the gap pretty well until he had the coordination to spoon feed himself. The only down side is if you're trying to keep their sugar intake down those pouches are the enemy. Definitely great for throwing in the diaper bag for a snack break though.

(I liked the GoSqeez ones but ultimately switched to Motts because it had 5g less sugar per pouch, same serving size. Less flavors though.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got one of the squeeze bags that was just mango. My husband tasted it. The next day he went to the store and bought a bunch for himself since "its easier than cutting up a real mango!"

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
They do taste really, really good and my daughter is nuts for them when she's sick. She'll go through 10 in a day (not recommended, they get expensive). Plus they help push through the cheese that she loves so much.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Got a 1 year old with growing toenails. He just won't let me cut them. Kicks, screams, rolls over. I've tried in the high chair, sitting down, laying down. Would appreciate any tips.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Gounads posted:

Got a 1 year old with growing toenails. He just won't let me cut them. Kicks, screams, rolls over. I've tried in the high chair, sitting down, laying down. Would appreciate any tips.

Nail file while he's eating or sleeping? At least with a file you don't risk nicking his piggies if he starts throwing a fit. That's what I do with my 6 mo old when she's being hyper.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
If you're using scissors, maybe try clippers? I have to cut his nails while he's nursing. Sometimes he still takes convincing. We do one extremity at a session :)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Ben Davis posted:

If you're using scissors, maybe try clippers? I have to cut his nails while he's nursing. Sometimes he still takes convincing. We do one extremity at a session :)

Our situation (at almost 1 year) is the same. I can only clip nails while he's nursing, and sometimes not even then. Whenever I think about weaning, I realize that he'll have crazy long witch nails if I do.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
It's actually gotten easier as she gets older. I always used to do it after a bath so her nails were really soft. Now, I can bribe her and do so unashamedly. She watches me file and paint my nails so she gets excited to "do her nails." We have to keep them very short because she's really active outside and her greatest joy is digging in dirt/sand.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Twatty Seahag posted:

It's actually gotten easier as she gets older. I always used to do it after a bath so her nails were really soft. Now, I can bribe her and do so unashamedly. She watches me file and paint my nails so she gets excited to "do her nails." We have to keep them very short because she's really active outside and her greatest joy is digging in dirt/sand.

Just to note, if you clip them too short (behind where the hangnail starts) they can develop ingrown nails.

We cut our daughters nails either when she's nursing, or now that she's started to wean onto solids only, when she's asleep.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

We just file his nails. Sometimes while nursing, sometimes not. He doesn't seem to care.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I can't remember if I originally posted in here or in the pregnancy thread asking for baby shower gift help, but someone suggested a baby first aid box and I loved the idea - because you really don't want to have to go get something WHEN you need it. And it's a nice, practical gift!

Now, of course, not having a baby I'm kinda stumped on what to get in it. I'm kinda going off what I've heard mentioned here... some help?

Baby tylenol
Baby gas drops
Nose-sucky-thingy
Ear (or butt?) thermometer
Diaper rash cream
Medicine dropper for accurate dosing
Saline nasal drops
Some sort of teething numbing stuff?

Let me know if there is anything vital I forgot. Doesn't need to be a comprehensive list, just the vital things so I can give that in addition to something fun. :)

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I think you've covered most of the stuff I found I needed in the first few months. I needed baby suppositories but most babies have no trouble pooping.

Maybe a small tube of eczema cream or aquafor type cream. Some babies get a newborn rash and the only thing that cleared it up for my daughter was Aveeno eczema cream. But I only needed a lil bit for like a week.

Lanolin if you know the mom is going to breastfeed.

Travel sizes of gentle soap, shampoo, lotion? It's good to have a backup in case you run out and forget to restock. There's some controversy about Johnson and Johnson products so maybe get something more natural (I like California Baby - super expensive but they have a little trial size kit of stuff).

Oh. How about baby nail file. It's intimidating cutting a newborns nails and they make tiny nail files.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

EVG posted:

Skip this.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

For a thermometer I'd go with rectal, our pediatrician doesn't consider anything else accurate.

Along with that, maybe a small tube of Vaseline, a package of cotton pads, some diaper rash cream (we use desitin).

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

EVG posted:

I was at the drug store last night, in fact, to find a replacement for the awesome teething gel we had, and I was disappointed that they didn't have any (the drug in particular was Eugenol). All they had was either bullshit (that is, homeopathic), or toxic (benzocaine). I was very sad.

Incidentally, I've been nursing a sore throat the past day or two, and my wife's come down with it as well, and we're pretty sure the little one has one too, based on how she's acting. Any suggestions on things we might be able to do to alleviate it? It's not like we can give her a cough-drop-like-thing (which, incidentally, contain benzocaine) for it. Any suggestions?

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

EVG posted:

Let me know if there is anything vital I forgot. Doesn't need to be a comprehensive list, just the vital things so I can give that in addition to something fun. :)

If the baby ever develops a runny nose, they can't really take care of it themselves. There's bulb suckers for that, but my wife and I have preferred this thing, since we find it easier to use, and to tell if it's clean.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
How do I go about cleaning my 14 week olds ears? Dudes got wax for days and I'm not sure what the proper protocol is for it.

ETA: I'm talking the outer ear and the very outside of the canal. I'm not talking inside it, of course.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

You don't! I mean, you can wipe around the outer bit with a moist washcloth or a q-tip, but nothing in the ear canal. It'll work its way out on its own. I know it's super gross looking.

edit: whoops missed your edit :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

EVG posted:

I can't remember if I originally posted in here or in the pregnancy thread asking for baby shower gift help, but someone suggested a baby first aid box and I loved the idea - because you really don't want to have to go get something WHEN you need it. And it's a nice, practical gift!

Now, of course, not having a baby I'm kinda stumped on what to get in it. I'm kinda going off what I've heard mentioned here... some help?

Baby tylenol
Baby gas drops
Nose-sucky-thingy
Diaper rash cream
Saline nasal drops

You don't need dosing syringes because all baby medicine will come with one, just to ensure that your 3.75ml isn't any different from their 3.75 ml :)

I liked a nice tube of lanolin (which can be used later for chapped lips too), butt paste, aveeno excema cream, Neutrogena baby sunblock (not sunscreen) if the baby will be born during the summer, a nice thermometer (some doctors prefer ear or temporal ones and some prefer rectal. My practice is really strict about not doing rectal because sometimes people perforate their kids rectums oh god why and how, but it IS the most accurate. I'd rather get a temporal one as a gift because it's the pricey one and i could always pick up a 10 buck rectal one on my own), saline spray instead of drops because it's easier, gripe water, simethicone.

edit: maybe one of those soft covers for ice packs for when they bump their heads

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2013

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Lullabee posted:

How do I go about cleaning my 14 week olds ears? Dudes got wax for days and I'm not sure what the proper protocol is for it.

ETA: I'm talking the outer ear and the very outside of the canal. I'm not talking inside it, of course.

I just wipe the outer ear with a baby wipe (we use unscented ones for sensitive skin) while he's nursing. He has big chunks of it, it's pretty gross.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I use on of those baby earbuds that are bigger so that they are impossible to get into the actual ear canal. Babies have so much earwax, it's pretty shocking.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

EVG posted:

I prefer a dosing syringe, they're far more accurate and easier to clean. They also sell syringe-marrying lids to put on bottles for no-mess dispensing.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

shadysight posted:

...my wife and I have preferred this thing, since we find it easier to use, and to tell if it's clean.
Definitely include a Nose Frieda! After using it, it's my go-to gift/top recommendation.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

shadysight posted:

If the baby ever develops a runny nose, they can't really take care of it themselves. There's bulb suckers for that, but my wife and I have preferred this thing, since we find it easier to use, and to tell if it's clean.

Holy crud. I need this. Keep going to use the bulb sucky thing on my daughter because snot just ... there's so much snot. She's inherited my fathers (and so my) sinuses. It's like a cup of snot in her head. Problem is, I can't get enough continuous suction and she's not a fan of the feeling of snot being dragged millimetre by millimetre from her skull.

There's a chance of sucking your babies snot into your mouth though, right? I mean, that's a long tube, but still... is there like a filter in the bottom of the syringe looking thing?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Konomex posted:

Holy crud. I need this. Keep going to use the bulb sucky thing on my daughter because snot just ... there's so much snot. She's inherited my fathers (and so my) sinuses. It's like a cup of snot in her head. Problem is, I can't get enough continuous suction and she's not a fan of the feeling of snot being dragged millimetre by millimetre from her skull.

There's a chance of sucking your babies snot into your mouth though, right? I mean, that's a long tube, but still... is there like a filter in the bottom of the syringe looking thing?

Yes, there's a filter, so don't worry. You're not going to ingest snot ;)

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

EVG posted:

Baby tylenol
Baby gas drops
Nose-sucky-thingy
Diaper rash cream
Saline nasal drops

No teething stuff. I like Baby Vicks Vaporub--it smells nicer and works awesome, for babies and grownups. It's rosemary-lavender instead of menthol-eucalyptus, so it's not so burny and intense. Also, Target brand has one that is half the cost, and just as awesome. (I buy generic meds whenever possible. Brand baby Tylenol is $6, Target brand is $2.) Also, Johnson's makes a vapor bath that smells the same. Even though it's expensive, I love, LOVE the Johnson's Bedtime bath wash and lotion. It's the purple bottles. It's lavender scented and it smells heads and tails above the generic. Seriously, that stuff smells great. Washcloths might be nice too.

Glad you liked my suggestion! ;)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Gounads posted:

Mine got interested in me painting my own toenails, so I told him if he would sit nicely while I cut his, I'd paint his too. I let him pick a color and I'd strap him in his high chair, so he couldn't run off with wet toes.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
So, randomly, a horrible parenting mistake I have made:

Skipping over a long story, I've ended up conditioned to fall asleep when I listen to a certain cd. When we were trying to get the kid to sleep more/better, we picked up that we could do the same thing to him, and since I already had this relaxing cd lying around, we just used that. So now we're both pretty conditioned to fall asleep to the same thing.

Tonight though is one of those nights when he's having trouble going down, and I'm exhausted, so it's 'entertaining' trying very hard to help out but being on the verge of passing out any time I'm in the same room as him and the music.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
My kid got even bigger.

She just keeps doing that.

Evidence:

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, I plan on bringing this up at his 4 month appointment next week, but I just wanted to see what other parents thought.

My sons exclusively breast fed. He started at around 3 months only pooping every 2 days on average. Farting like normal, and never longer than 3 days, so nothing concerning. Lately, however, he's been passing some seriously foul gas. His poops are normal colored, don't have mucous in them (though they have become less liquid and closer to a thicker consistency, I don't know if that matters or not..), and no random crying or colicky symptoms, so I'm not overly concerned. Just curious if any of you all experienced this.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

So, I plan on bringing this up at his 4 month appointment next week, but I just wanted to see what other parents thought.

My sons exclusively breast fed. He started at around 3 months only pooping every 2 days on average. Farting like normal, and never longer than 3 days, so nothing concerning. Lately, however, he's been passing some seriously foul gas. His poops are normal colored, don't have mucous in them (though they have become less liquid and closer to a thicker consistency, I don't know if that matters or not..), and no random crying or colicky symptoms, so I'm not overly concerned. Just curious if any of you all experienced this.

Oh hey, that could be my daughter you're describing. Whenever she goes a bit long between poops, her farts are absolutely terrible-smelling.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Oh hell yes with the stinky toots. From birth until about 4 months, my daughter passed gas that would make a grown man weep. She also only pooped once a week or so. Finally she grew out of that and now at 6.5 months she poops every other day and the toots are not lethal. I think it's probably normal as long as your baby doesn't seem very uncomfortable or in pain. (My daughter is also breastfed with some formula)

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon
If mods or OP think this isn't the right place to post this, I'll remove it ASAP:

I work for a news media site that does regular live chats with expert panelists. Today, we're doing one all about stay-at-home dads. Thought some of you might be interested!

http://dailylounge.com/round-table/entry/rise-of-the-stay-at-home-dad

There's no registration or log-in required, and it's completely free. You can just read the chat as it happens and submit questions if you like.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
That's what I thought. I don't even know he farts until I smell it, so I doubt he's having problems. Thanks goons. :)

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
So! Little man has decided that nappy changes and getting dressed is akin to skinning him alive or something. We have wailing and screaming and flailing and nudie runs, well, crawls anyhow.

Is he just trying to assert his independence? He is 8 months now, 20 pounds, and developing a mouthful of teeth - 4 so far, with one just breaking through and 3 more on the brink. Sure makes it interesting when he decides to give you a big kiss on the cheek and doesn't aim properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Getting dressed means being still when he'd rather be---OOOOOHHH LOOK! A TOY! Also, getting a diaper change means being extra still and---HEY LOOK AT THAT DUST MOLECULE!! :j: It's not independence so much as everything else is just so much more exciting. (The real independence stuff comes a little later.) Liam was, and still is, bad about diapers. He's a bit more than 2, and 36 pounds, and likes to kick. Hard. Has caught me off guard and gotten me in sternum and stomach a few times. Try giving him a cool toy that only gets brought out for diaper changes to distract him for a couple minutes. Something flashy with lights and music. ;)

With the teeth thing, you brought back a memory. When Tim was about that age, he would give me "kisses" by snuggling up and biting my chin. I mean, clamping down hard with his 3 or 4 teeth. But he was so happy about it--all smiles.