Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think direct purchased mounts go to every character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Nope, they work just like every other one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is this an item added in this patch? I think they made it so new items wouldn't be addable to collections until the patch following them being added. Presumably to increase their value short-term?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, it was just added because of the gree event with the latest patch. If that's the case then that's great and I don't mind waiting I just must have missed that part. Thanks. :)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Just saw a <Goon Squad> tag on Jedi Covenant, Republic side. Did we make a guild of our own?

That was probably me on my scoundrel. I haven't bothered moving any of the Republic alts I barely play into Prime Defense, I just keep them in Goon Squad for the guild XP bonus.

Catsworth posted:

So I bought the Solus Secant mount but the button to add it to my account through Collections is missing and the only thing there is the "Open Cartel Market" button. Other mounts work fine as do limited time items like the Gold Scalene Armor and there's nothing indicating it would behave any differently. I have submitted two tickets about it (The second more clarified since they sent me an automated "Make sure it is in your collections. This is how you add things to collections." reponse) and got the same canned response twice in a row now.

From the latest patch notes, note the bit about the Collections unlock.

quote:

A new vehicle is available on the Cartel Market for a limited time! The Solus Secant is an adaptive speeder based on Gree technology. The Collections unlock for this item will be available in Game Update 2.2. Cost: 1,500 Cartel Coins

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Ah yeah, definitely missed it. And holy poo poo, 1,500 more. Oh well, no one says I have to do it all at once.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Fathis Munk posted:

There is an option hidden somewhere that makes comparing mods in oranges a bit less of a hassle but it still feels needlessly complicated yes. I usually just make a big updating run at the end of a planet. I love the oranges since it's a way to find a style you like and to avoid the "more powerful but also more ugly" dilemma.

Yeah I forget where it is but when I hover over an orange the pop-up window shows all the mods in it and their stat breakdowns. It's really drat useful and should probably default to on.

As far as oranges go, hell yes I love being able to decouple stats from looks. It's a little more cumbersome here than in some other games, but I found the most awesome Darth Vader mofo suit and am going to wear that sucker forever on my Juggernaught. :black101:

e: Check out the Sith Champion's gear on Tor-Fashion, that is Darth Vader as hell and I am just waiting to be able to equip the last couple pieces. :getin:

Reveilled posted:

It is a little different of course if you don't have a Cybertech though because then you might not have enough commendations to fill out your gear, but if you don't have a Cybertech and you are a subscriber my personal opinion is that you should go train your current character in Cybertech right now because levelling becomes a breeze, and if you don't have Cybertech because you are free-to-play you either do enough tedious grinding of heroics and stuff that you should have the commendations you need, or you probably don't have a full set of oranges anyway making it cheaper to kit them out.

Note to self: Make second character a Cybertech. Maybe Operative? Stealth for easy questing and heals for FPs/raiding...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 2, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I've taken to getting 3 gathering professions. I figure its the easiest way to afford legacy unlocks to level faster, since none of my 3 characters are at endgame.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Wow, the interface for buying Cartel Coins is ridiculously terrible. Charged me 60 bucks and gave me no coins.

And now I get to play the waiting game on the phone.

Bored Grunt
Nov 8, 2009

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain

Doc Dee posted:

Wow, the interface for buying Cartel Coins is ridiculously terrible. Charged me 60 bucks and gave me no coins.

And now I get to play the waiting game on the phone.

Supposedly they'll just tell you it can take up to 72 hours to complete and to be patient. I bought some over 8 hours ago and still waiting. There's a forum thread going and they have acknowledged there is a delay they are looking into.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Bored Grunt posted:

Supposedly they'll just tell you it can take up to 72 hours to complete and to be patient. I bought some over 8 hours ago and still waiting. There's a forum thread going and they have acknowledged there is a delay they are looking into.

The biggest part is the "charging me 60 bucks when I only wanted 20 bucks' worth" part.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Note to self: Make second character a Cybertech. Maybe Operative? Stealth for easy questing and heals for FPs/raiding...

The stealth leveling seemed faster with my shadow than my scoundrel due to force speed, but that was pre-rocket boots days.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I forget where it is but when I hover over an orange the pop-up window shows all the mods in it and their stat breakdowns. It's really drat useful and should probably default to on.

As far as oranges go, hell yes I love being able to decouple stats from looks. It's a little more cumbersome here than in some other games, but I found the most awesome Darth Vader mofo suit and am going to wear that sucker forever on my Juggernaught. :black101:

e: Check out the Sith Champion's gear on Tor-Fashion, that is Darth Vader as hell and I am just waiting to be able to equip the last couple pieces. :getin:

I leveled as a healing ops and it was painful as gently caress. But honestly it was probably my own fault more than anything. It was my first character and I expected the companions to be a little bit more beefy than they were. I also felt like ops didn't really get enough offensive tools fast enough as you level. It felt as if it was an awkward mix of ranged then melee skills, with none of the core abilities coming into play until my late 30s. I bet you would do fine plowing through Flashpoints now with group finder tho. I keep telling myself it will be baller to level all over again and do just that but it seems like a waste for me with one sitting at 50 that I don't even play.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Givin posted:

I leveled as a healing ops and it was painful as gently caress. But honestly it was probably my own fault more than anything. It was my first character and I expected the companions to be a little bit more beefy than they were. I also felt like ops didn't really get enough offensive tools fast enough as you level. It felt as if it was an awkward mix of ranged then melee skills, with none of the core abilities coming into play until my late 30s. I bet you would do fine plowing through Flashpoints now with group finder tho. I keep telling myself it will be baller to level all over again and do just that but it seems like a waste for me with one sitting at 50 that I don't even play.

Compared to Release/Beta, companions suck. At least on your first character, you can expect them to die more often than not. It's annoying, and I hated my first character and hated companions on it.

Once you get a good 100-200 presence they're pretty good, and one of the people in the guild I'm in has every class at 50 and the human buff, 500 presence total, and while leveling with him on a new character, the companion could basically solo same level heroic mobs groups.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Catsworth posted:

Ah yeah, definitely missed it. And holy poo poo, 1,500 more. Oh well, no one says I have to do it all at once.

I think the 1500 is just giving the current cost, not the Collection bind cost.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
My biggest gripe about companions is I really wish there was more control over what they're doing in combat. So many times I'm focusing on killing minions and Jaesa will be loving about with some champ and then running over to another random mob and starting on that one.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Givin posted:

My biggest gripe about companions is I really wish there was more control over what they're doing in combat. So many times I'm focusing on killing minions and Jaesa will be loving about with some champ and then running over to another random mob and starting on that one.

They have a basic 'attack' button (first one on their bar) you can use to force them to change targets, granted that's a bit clunky.

Also, the Sith Warrior's Act 3 is pretty drat awesome so far (I'm only to Belsavis). I've amended my Juggernaught's 'headcanon' to be that she was a 'normal' human until Baras/Draahg dropped a cave on her, which hosed her up Vader-style and with no kolto/bacta tank on her ship Quinn and company had to fix her up with cybernetics. poo poo is getting real now. :suspense:

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Bored Grunt posted:

Apparently this affects subscriptions as well. One part of the website (where I can select my subscrption) says I'm on one; Another part says I don't have a subscription plan and in game I'm still preferred (As I bought at launch & played for a month). Great welcome back present!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Givin posted:

You can just "expand" their control bar and give them orders what to do...

Givin posted:

My very first character was a Scoundrel and I never had any problem leveling, just disregard every ranged skill, get a tank companion to hold the enemies attention and blast them in their back at every opportunity (Well knife them in the case of an ops). When they turn on you, sock 'em in the balls, run in their back and blast them again. One thing I liked was the fact that you had to stay pretty mobile during fighting to pull off all your backstabs.

Also Scoundrel>>Operative because a single Blaster is the most fashionable way to murder people. :colbert:
I'm actually wondering about leveling a Powertech to get that sweet sweet single Blaster style again. I was really disappointed by the goofy "cross my arms to shoot" mercenary animations.

The only thing stopping me is that the character I played most on recently was also Imp side and that would mean a lot of repetition. Do blaster rifles look really interesting at some point ? I've always found them to be the most boring weapon category.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

The stealth leveling seemed faster with my shadow than my scoundrel due to force speed, but that was pre-rocket boots days.

This brings up a good question, do Rocket boots break stealth ?

Goddammit, I should really stop reading these threads, that game is about to suck me in again :smith:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

This brings up a good question, do Rocket boots break stealth ?

They do not.

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
Not only they do not break stealth you can sneak with the Op or whatever the Assassin one is, then activate Rocket Boost while stealthed and go 110% stealthed and fully undetectable. It is simply wonderful :allears:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

WarLocke posted:

They have a basic 'attack' button (first one on their bar) you can use to force them to change targets, granted that's a bit clunky.

By default this is ctrl+1, which is what I use to start fights with melee companions as well. If I'm ranged, my first attack hits, my companion goes 'oh right, fighting!' and has to run into the battle for like 10 seconds. If I press ctrl+1 before hand, they get there at the same time as my Crushing Darkness finishes channeling or whatever.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

Not only they do not break stealth you can sneak with the Op or whatever the Assassin one is, then activate Rocket Boost while stealthed and go 110% stealthed and fully undetectable. It is simply wonderful :allears:

Wait wait wait. This is incredibly wonderful but does this work in PvP ?

I should really pick up my scoundrel again and get her to 55 but she's on another server so not on the legacy I started upgrading. :smith:

What wouldn't I give to just play an Op with a blaster instead of a rifle. Is Assassin fun to play ? I'm actually not a huge fan of lightsaber wielding classes, I play them from time to time but I just find that playing "normal" people in a universe of super space monk messiahs is much more interesting

(Also killing the big evil Sith by sucker punching him after having kicked him in the balls is completely rad.)

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

By default this is ctrl+1, which is what I use to start fights with melee companions as well. If I'm ranged, my first attack hits, my companion goes 'oh right, fighting!' and has to run into the battle for like 10 seconds. If I press ctrl+1 before hand, they get there at the same time as my Crushing Darkness finishes channeling or whatever.

Yeah I hate that they wait til you actually hit to spring into combat. It would make more sense to be honest for them to start when you channel.

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!

Fathis Munk posted:

Wait wait wait. This is incredibly wonderful but does this work in PvP ?

I dont think you can rocket boost in PvP though, so unfortunately no

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I just hit Balmorra and Act 2 with my trooper and My God, the plot really is a Tom Clancy novel

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I just finished Sith Warrior Act 1 Light Side and I have to say, it's awesome. KOTOR III would have probably been significantly better than the Jedi Knight storyline, but this format allows for a lot of variety in the storytelling. I love that both the Sith Warrior and Trooper lines aren't "Fate of the galaxy in the balance" tales.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
So to anyone who has played a lot (most ? all ?) of the story lines, which one are pulled of best ?

I often hear that the agent story is particularly great and that's one of the reasons I started a sniper a few months ago.

I kinda liked some parts of the smuggler story especially when you find a treasure aboard an old ship orbiting a black hole or something like that, been a while since I played my scoundrel but it somehow lost my interest when I reached Hoth. Then again maybe Hoth was the problem.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Warmachine posted:

I think it is because grouping has gone the way of dinosaurs and disco. Controllers and other 'support' classes are for team based play, and the EQ model MMO has been moving steadily toward solo play as late as the release of WoW in 2005. A few games are starting to make it easier to group by scaling character levels based on zones (Guild Wars 2), 'sidekicking' (Champions), and other QoL improvements, but as best I can tell, this is the exception, not the rule.
I would really hope that, at some point, BioWare will implement a City of Heroes-style exemplar mechanic (not sure if that's in Champions as well, but if it's got sidekicking I would expect so), so that grouping with a lower-level friend isn't almost completely pointless. Teaming with a friend on a regular basis is just too impractical unless you both agree to only use a particular character for the purpose of playing together, but I feel that shouldn't be required to begin with.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Fathis Munk posted:

So to anyone who has played a lot (most ? all ?) of the story lines, which one are pulled of best ?

I often hear that the agent story is particularly great and that's one of the reasons I started a sniper a few months ago.

I kinda liked some parts of the smuggler story especially when you find a treasure aboard an old ship orbiting a black hole or something like that, been a while since I played my scoundrel but it somehow lost my interest when I reached Hoth. Then again maybe Hoth was the problem.

Done em all except Smuggler, I enjoyed neutral with a touch of evil Agent the most. Light Side Warrior was also fantastic. Full dark side Inquisitor is the most comically evil thing in the game, the story can be a little weak at times but the ending is a good payoff.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm just past Hoth myself as a Smuggler, but what's keeping me going is the villain being Vinnie Jones in Space. If the guy was a sith he'd be like Brick Vader from Snatch Wars.

So far I've done an Agent, Warrior, Inquisitor and am up to 40 on my Smuggler, and personally I thought the Agent and Smuggler stories are equally good and incomparable due to being different genres, and liked them both more than the sith ones, and liked Inquisitor more than Warrior.

EDIT: To clarify I played all basically the same way, which was mostly light side. I greatly enjoyed the Inquisitor playing it as "I hate the sith", taking lightside actions mostly but taking dark side options if it fucks over the empire without hurting anyone other than bad people, which works pretty well with the ex-slave background you have. Still lots of opportunities to electrocute people because a shitload of people deserve it.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 2, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
So does LS/DS actually affect your story in a significant way ? I thought it changed basically only minor fluff and conversations.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Fathis Munk posted:

So does LS/DS actually affect your story in a significant way ? I thought it changed basically only minor fluff and conversations.

The end of Chapter 1 Agent is pretty different depending on light or dark.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
My personal story rating is something along the lines of

Agent = Smuggler > Inquisitor > Warrior > Consular >>> Bounty Hunter >>>>> Trooper

Agent and Smuggler are both really, really good - Agent wins out slightly because Jo Wyatt's voice makes me swoon. Inquisitor is probably the best dark side story (ruthless pursuit of personal power). Warrior falls off a lot after chapter 1, sadly. The consular story tries to do something different and gets more interesting after the first chapter. That chapter is quite boring though.
Bounty Hunter has some cool setpieces and lines, but overall I found it to be thoroughly uninteresting until the last 20 minutes or so. Trooper starts strong, but falls completely flat rather quickly. The end boss is some dude you never even met before and the final victory celebration/speech is a complete disappointment. It's a shame they wasted Jennifer Hale on that, but I guess they just had to typecast her as low-rent Shepard.

As for alignment, non-force classes are best played without thinking about Dark/Light. Just choose what fits the character you have in mind. Headcanon and all that. That goes for Jedi/Sith too of course, but going full light/dark on those feels more natural.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I find smuggler really boring in the beginning, I stop playing when it started to get good I heard.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fathis Munk posted:

The agent, as mentioned, is pretty different. The warrior and inquisitor each have an apprentice who is different based on your alignment, though the impact is much more dramatic for the warrior.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ashara doesn't change based on alignment.

Ashara: I'm still a Jedi! Why do people keep saying I'm not a Jedi!
Inquisitor: :rolleyes: quit your whining and finish slaughtering the rest of the padawans and innocent civilians, sheeesh.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

hobbesmaster posted:

Ashara doesn't change based on alignment.

Ashara: I'm still a Jedi! Why do people keep saying I'm not a Jedi!
Inquisitor: :rolleyes: quit your whining and finish slaughtering the rest of the padawans and innocent civilians, sheeesh.

I thought some of her dialogues were different depending on whether you were light or dark? She talked a hell of a lot about "reforming the empire" on my light sided inquisitor, I thought she talked about different stuff if you were dark?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

I would really hope that, at some point, BioWare will implement a City of Heroes-style exemplar mechanic (not sure if that's in Champions as well, but if it's got sidekicking I would expect so), so that grouping with a lower-level friend isn't almost completely pointless. Teaming with a friend on a regular basis is just too impractical unless you both agree to only use a particular character for the purpose of playing together, but I feel that shouldn't be required to begin with.

That's pretty much the reason I don't do group leveling. I tried it, once, back at launch. I made the mistake of making my main a part of the leveling pact though. Pretty soon I was 10 levels ahead of them because I PVPed while they had a severe allergic reaction whenever someone mentioned the idea of PVP. It wouldn't have been a big deal if it was City (in fact, we all had played City together), but despite all the stuff SWTOR had for grouping, it really punishes you for trying to do more than pick-up groups.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
There is a special level of hell dedicated to the designer of the Makeb endurance datacron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Medullah posted:

There is a special level of hell dedicated to the designer of the Makeb endurance datacron.

I liked it, actually. I only fell once at the beginning. Just go slow and safe.

Also any tips for TK Sages? They're so much more fun than balance.

• Locked thread