Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Alteisen posted:

But why all the weird discrepancies in how everything looks?

Artistic license? It was farmed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Alteisen posted:

But why all the weird discrepancies in how everything looks?

Because people would buy it anyways?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Milky Moor posted:

Because people would buy it anyways?

Yeah, Oblivion made 260million+ at the box office and they got most of the Mass Effect story completely wrong :haw:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just finished a replay of Mass Effect 2, just as good as I remembered it. Assuming I adored 1 and 2, should I pick up the third? Am I going to finish it and wish I had just made up my own ending? I've heard a lot of bad things, just wanted to get yall's opinions.

Also, is the Shadow Broker DLC in ME2 pretty good?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dramatika posted:

I just finished a replay of Mass Effect 2, just as good as I remembered it. Assuming I adored 1 and 2, should I pick up the third? Am I going to finish it and wish I had just made up my own ending? I've heard a lot of bad things, just wanted to get yall's opinions.

Shadow Broker is better than good. Get it.

ON the endings, yes, they suck. The EC makes them slightly less poo poo, but they are still poo poo. You shouldn't let that put you off the game though, since otherwise it's very good. Just get Citadel DLC, finish the game, pick whichever ending you'd like, then run through Citadel and play that as the actual end to the game. When I first played ME3 (on release), I was so disgusted I didn't want to play the game again. Now I just ignore the lovely endings and enjoy the rest of it.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Dramatika posted:

Ehh, it depends.
If you get the Leviathan DLC and play it with the free Extended Cut DLC, the ending of the game isn't as offensively terrible as it used to be, but it's still pretty drat bad if you're a sperg like a lot of us that got really invested in the universe and the trilogy's main storyline.
That said, there are a lot of people that finished it with said DLCs and considered it at least OK, so yeah, your first experience probably won't be quite as terrible as the one we've had back at ME3's release.

The one thing about ME3 is that it is pretty much a flat improvement over ME2 in a lot of aspects (combat, inventory), the multiplayer is addictive and fun as hell (don't flat out disregard the MP, there's a shitload of people that didn't even plan to touch it and ended up being addicted to it) and it's overall a fine game except for the obvious ending debacle and until you start to pick apart the main storyline after you're done.

Some individual set pieces and missions are incredible though.

If you just want more Mass Effect, you probably shouldn't pass it up, although there really is a chance that you'll wish you'd just stopped playing before the final mission and made up your own ending in your head. The ending has tainted the entire trilogy for a lot of fans, but then again, there's some people that actually liked it, so there's that!

Dramatika posted:

YES.
A thousand times.
I personally think it's the absolute apex of the series where they really managed to get everything (music, atmosphere, dialogue (humor!), combat (as good as it gets in ME2 anyway)) to come together perfectly.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I feel that the extended cut DLC turns the ending from "That's IT? I'm going to ragepost for months on end about how bad that was" to "Well that's kind of dumb but whatever."
ME3 is good. Play multiplayer.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Well, those are some glowing recommendations for Shadow Broker, I'm downloading it now, thanks :) While we're on the subject, Arrival worth playing as well?

As far as ME3 goes, probably gonna pick it up when I get paid. I might end up picking up a PC copy of ME1 to play the trilogy all the way through. I played the first ME on 360 at release, but my 360 died before 2 was released. Genesis was cool, but not quite the same as going all the way through.

What DLC is recommended for ME3? So far I've heard Leviathan, Citadel, and Extended Cut, anything else that's really good/borderline absolutely necessary? Is it worth picking up the Deluxe Digital pack to get From Ashes, or should I just stick with the standard one and get the aforementioned DLC packs?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dramatika posted:

What DLC is recommended for ME3? So far I've heard Leviathan, Citadel, and Extended Cut, anything else that's really good/borderline absolutely necessary? Is it worth picking up the Deluxe Digital pack to get From Ashes, or should I just stick with the standard one and get the aforementioned DLC packs?

From Ashes is pretty significant. It unlocks a character that has a lot of important dialogue at key points in the storyline. Plus his powers are useful and he comes with a pretty sweet gun too. And he's a total dick to everyone :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
For 3, the "worst" DLC is Omega, and that's because it's just you (none of your squaddies) and combat. Doesn't really have poo poo to do with the main storyline. I enjoyed it and it's a good 1.5-2 hour time waster, plus the bonus power you get is apparently really good, though I haven't used it yet. I don't regret my $15 purchase, but if you are limited on funds then wait on Omega and get something else first.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

None of the DLCs are bad per se, but I thought Arrival and Omega weren't as strong as the rest. Given the choice between the two I'd go with Arrival, especially since it only costs half as much.

From Ashes I'd say is a must have.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Dramatika posted:

Well, those are some glowing recommendations for Shadow Broker, I'm downloading it now, thanks :) While we're on the subject, Arrival worth playing as well?

As far as ME3 goes, probably gonna pick it up when I get paid. I might end up picking up a PC copy of ME1 to play the trilogy all the way through. I played the first ME on 360 at release, but my 360 died before 2 was released. Genesis was cool, but not quite the same as going all the way through.

The Deluxe Edition shouldn't be that much more expensive than the standard edition, and it'll include From Ashes which was originally planned to be included in the base game (then slightly altered and pushed off into DLC production), I would imagine the game feels a tad less "complete" without it, so you might as well go for the Deluxe Edition.

For ME2, while I'd generally rate Arrival as the lowest bang for your buck ratio of the story DLC, I still think it's an interesting mission, and it's supposed to bridge ME2 and ME3 and I've always liked it for that. It also has a really, really awesome final set piece that's almost worth the entire DLC's price alone. One very important note about Arrival: Don't play it until you've finished ME2's main storyline (you can keep playing after you've done that); The game allows you to start Arrival before finishing the Suicide Mission, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense that way, so save it until after the credits roll.
That said, LotSB is definitely the one absolutely must-have ME2 DLC, and Overlord is a really decent, self-contained side story with some System Shock-esque things and interesting scenery going on, and I'd definitely recommend that as well.

And yeah, definitely play the entire trilogy on the same system, so grab ME1 while you're at it too :v:
And don't forget to grab Bring Down the Sky for ME1 which is free on PC as well.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Dramatika posted:

is the Shadow Broker DLC in ME2 pretty good?

late, but yes, yes it is, just played through Leviathan DLC on insane, and that has to be the most poorly designed couple of moments of ME gaming, and gaming in general of all time. Holy crap what a trial and error disaster that was.

Is the Citadel or the Aria DLC worth it (for what it's worth most of Leviathan was cool, and its ending was freaking epic).

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

None of the DLCs are bad per se, but I thought Arrival and Omega weren't as strong as the rest. Given the choice between the two I'd go with Arrival, especially since it only costs half as much.

From Ashes I'd say is a must have.

I personally really liked Omega. It's definitely a lot better than the Arrival at least. It has some of the best combat of ME3 in it, and Omega is really well done and supringly varied place. Especially the first time you are about to meet the DLC exclusive new enemies gives a nice Alien vibe. Also the overall story between Aria + that other new teammate was fun, and what you say actually has effect on how things play out. That said if you don't like ME3 combat you aren't probably going to enjoy it as much as I did.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

SubponticatePoster posted:

For 3, the "worst" DLC is Omega, and that's because it's just you (none of your squaddies) and combat

Somehow I hadn't heard of that before. So it's just Shep running around Omega? I was never a big fan of Aria, and she's grating on me more during my second playthrough of ME2. I'm definitely getting Shadow Broker and will play that when I'm further along. But I might skip on Omega then and just play Citadel twice or something. God knows I didn't go through enough quiet/dance party combinations the first time. :toot:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

morcant posted:

Somehow I hadn't heard of that before. So it's just Shep running around Omega? I was never a big fan of Aria, and she's grating on me more during my second playthrough of ME2. I'm definitely getting Shadow Broker and will play that when I'm further along. But I might skip on Omega then and just play Citadel twice or something. God knows I didn't go through enough quiet/dance party combinations the first time. :toot:
It's Shep + two squaddies that aren't part of the main game. It's like Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker, but two.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lycus posted:

It's Shep + two squaddies that aren't part of the main game. It's like Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker, but two.

Well, that and the fact that you don't care about either character in your squad.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dvlos posted:

late, but yes, yes it is, just played through Leviathan DLC on insane, and that has to be the most poorly designed couple of moments of ME gaming, and gaming in general of all time. Holy crap what a trial and error disaster that was.

Is the Citadel or the Aria DLC worth it (for what it's worth most of Leviathan was cool, and its ending was freaking epic).
What was the Leviathan problem? The deck of the ship? I'm working my way there on my own current insanity run.

Citadel is not optional if you have played all 3 games and are a fan. Really, it's a better ending than anything we actually got and you get to hang out with all your squadmates that you didn't manage to kill off. Lots of in-jokes (and jokes in general). It's kind of out-of-place in the main storyline, which is why it works as a great palate cleanser after the bad actual endings.

See my previous post on Omega. If you don't mind blowing the cash it's fine.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lycus posted:

I'm only going to specify because he specifically mentioned her in his post, but one of them is Aria, so you know, if you really can't stand her here's your warning. Personally I haven't played it so I don't know if she's better or worse than her other appearances though.

The other is a series first- a female Turian

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dvlos posted:

...just played through Leviathan DLC on insane, and that has to be the most poorly designed couple of moments of ME gaming, and gaming in general of all time. Holy crap what a trial and error disaster that was.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that, because I didn't find Leviathan hard at all on insane and very direct with a few puzzles. Sometimes it felt like a slog, but when you have Garrus/Edi and Liara as squadmates and overwhelming firepower, reapers are a bump in the road.

Mazerunner posted:

The other is a series first- a female Turian
I enjoyed her as a character even though her powers were kind of lackluster (not to mention the mediocre multiplayer char that the DLC spawned). I couldn't stand Aria's ego.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey so it turns out that one of your conversations with Garrus allows you to admit (Tuchanka spoilers) that you sabotaged the genophage cure. I was so happy to get that off my chest, and Garrus is surprisingly understanding, especially pointing out how necessary it was due to Wreav being in charge and even sharing a joke about how dumb he is and laughing about Mordin faking his death. I really appreciate the little character moments like that, it's a shame it took until ME3 for them to really figure out how to handle squadmates moving about the Normandy, chatting with each other and having more to say re: previous missions.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just a small note about ME2's DLC and doing the missions after the main storyline is done. If you're doing a perfect run where you head to the relay immediately after Legion's loyalty mission so you don't lose any crew, you won't be able to access all of Legion's between-mission dialogue if you only save a mission or two for after the credits. Saving Overlord, Shadow Broker, and Arrival for after the suicide mission allows you to hear all of it. I think Shadow Broker works better after the suicide mission like Arrival does, and Overlord is really just a mission with only a tenuous connection to the main game that it doesn't really matter.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Nope, you don't need to save three missions for after the Suicide Mission - just Legion's and one other (Tali's for laughs) mission before the Suicide Mission then LotSB and Arrival will be enough to exhaust his entire dialogue tree all the way up to Dyson Sphere chat.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Rick_Hunter posted:

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that, because I didn't find Leviathan hard at all on insane and very direct with a few puzzles. Sometimes it felt like a slog, but when you have Garrus/Edi and Liara as squadmates and overwhelming firepower, reapers are a bump in the road.

The two parts that were retardiculius:

running to the elevator with random arial kills.

the final deck where you run back and forth between stations while brutes and cannibals eat you alive

Those two areas honestly soured a bit what is an amazing DLC, sounds like I have to get Citadel next and pass on Omega, not a fan of Aria either.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dvlos posted:

The two parts that were retardiculius:

running to the elevator with random arial kills.

the final deck where you run back and forth between stations while brutes and cannibals eat you alive

Those two areas honestly soured a bit what is an amazing DLC, sounds like I have to get Citadel next and pass on Omega, not a fan of Aria either.
Play more MP. I got through both of those sections with no problem. MP is the perfect trainer for insanity SP.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well, just finished my second complete playthrough of the trilogy, this time with a FemShep. I still love my grizzled old man Shepard and think Mark Meer did a great job with him, but FemShep was great too, and I felt she hit some of the emotional notes better in the final section saying goodbye in London before the big climactic moment, particularly in her chat to Garrus.

So, now that the Reapers have been destroyed it's time to give Shepard some time to recover in Anderson's apartment, have one more crazy adventure, then throw a party with all her friends including a repaired EDI and then say goodbye to the trilogy, which I've played entirely too much of in the last couple of months. :unsmith:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just beat Mass Effect 2. Good God, that part with the husks/scion in the biotic barrier was bullshit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Just beat Mass Effect 2. Good God, that part with the husks/scion in the biotic barrier was bullshit.
I think that totally depends on class. I remember having a tough time at this part on Insanity as an Infiltrator, but all husk/scion fights are ridiculously easy as a Vanguard.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 1, 2013

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Lycus posted:

I think that totally depends on class. I remember having a tough time at this part on Insanity as an Infiltrator, but all husk/scion fights are ridiculously easy as a Vanguard.

Yeah. Shockwave trivializes all husk fights.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

To anyone playing single player in ME3 on the xbox: have you tried to pick up a weapon mod on a mission but not have it unlocked? This has been happening to me and I was wondering if there was some fix for this.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Lycus posted:

Infiltrator is the husk murder master. Incinerate off their armour, then cryo ammo on your pistol, fire a single shot. Poof. No more husk.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah but as soon as a husk even looks at biotics they fall over and die. Shockwave turns you into a professional husk bowler!

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yeah but as soon as a husk even looks at biotics they fall over and die. Shockwave turns you into a professional husk bowler!

As I just recently discovered on my first Adept run, Shockwave + the DLC Arc Thrower makes the enemy rush at the end of the derelict Reaper into comedy.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I was trying to just use Slam the entire time as an Infiltrator. I would snipe the abominations and just take the regular husks with powers.

It was still fun, though. The animation for Slam is the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I'm replaying through Mass Effect 1 and only now on my second playthrough am I discovering the joys of Immunity tanking. I'd had Immunity my first go around but I never really used it much, and man, this basically turns you into a god. Then again, this is also my first time finding out about the smuggling ring on Eden Prime, so I might just be an idiot.

On the subject of ME1, is it possible to hit level 50 in a single playthrough? For reference, I'm about level 32 and am just about to do Feros.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Hey so it turns out that one of your conversations with Garrus allows you to admit (Tuchanka spoilers) that you sabotaged the genophage cure. I was so happy to get that off my chest, and Garrus is surprisingly understanding, especially pointing out how necessary it was due to Wreav being in charge and even sharing a joke about how dumb he is and laughing about Mordin faking his death. I really appreciate the little character moments like that, it's a shame it took until ME3 for them to really figure out how to handle squadmates moving about the Normandy, chatting with each other and having more to say re: previous missions.

That moment is even better if Wrex lived, and so you had to kill Mordin and later Wrex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8yFjNhMVk&t=647s

Psycho Mantits posted:

On the subject of ME1, is it possible to hit level 50 in a single playthrough? For reference, I'm about level 32 and am just about to do Feros.

Absolutely. I used to get in the mid-50s, though I was pretty completionist.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Psycho Mantits posted:

I just went through hardcore with a fresh character, and I tried to be as thorough as possible while killing everything on foot (way more experience than using the Mako), generally opting for dialogue options that got me to kill more people. I got partway through level 56 by the end.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Infiltrator is the husk murder master. Incinerate off their armour, then cryo ammo on your pistol, fire a single shot. Poof. No more husk.
Yeah generally, Infiltrators do alright against husk/scions, but the issue in this particular case is that can't keep backing away while throwing Incinerates and spraying cryo bullets. You can't run a distance away, turn around and Widow the scion. Because you have to stay in the bubble. So it's easier than usual for Infiltrators to get overwhelmed, whereas this is a situation where Vanguards excel because you can bounce back and forth around the bubble and nothing can really hurt you.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 2, 2013

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
So I recently started another playthrough of ME1, first tried out playing as an Adept. It was weird, none of the offensive biotic powers seemed to do anything. Warp didnt do any damage, and throw wouldnt actually throw any enemies. Eventually I scrubbed the playthrough and started again as a Vanguard. Suddenly warp and throw started working on the new character. Anyone know of any bugs like this?

I'm happy I made the change too, vanguard can basically be played as an adept with a shotgun as I found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

If I download the extended cut for ME3, can I continue playing an already created file or do I have to start a new one?

• Locked thread